Does the amount of fanservice bother you?

Chiki

565 members have voted

1. 1. Does it bother you?

The fanservice-y-ness of this game doesn't bother me that much. The whole kinda-sorta-incest thing weirds me out, but I can deal with it. Somehow though, I can't shake the feeling that something is off about all this pandery stuff. Maybe it'll warm up to it with some time. I dunno.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't speak super in depth for Game of Thrones, but from what I gleaned about the show from pure osmosis, claiming that Game of Thrones' sex scenes are fanservice seem to be laughable. Horrific sexual assault and rape scenes are fanservice now? Second, GoT's sex scenes are not there to be purely ogled by the watcher - they serve the story.

When I say fanservice, I'm talking about lingering ass + boob shots, the ability to undress every character down to their underwear, rubbing people's faces and tits, lesbian relationship between male players' favorite female character and the self insert, etc etc.

Fanservice directly affects a story's tone. Ergo, it directly affects the story. You're only furthering my point by claiming that people say the game is meant to be taken seriously. Contrast that with the ample sexual pandering, and you've got ridiculously jarring tonal shifts that utterly destroy immersion.

For example, right after you fight your opposite family, a moment of heavy betrayal, you unlock mycastle and the ability to rub people's faces.

When Camila comes over to your army, the game's camera makes an effort to linger on her ass and boobs. What does this add?

The game's filled to the brim with pandering fanservice. To then expect us to then take the supposedly grimdark story seriously is an insulting joke.

Um,,,most of Game of Thrones sex scenes are intended to be fanservice.

There is a reason why sex appears in the TV series much more than in the book series.

Was the latest rape of the previously untouched character fanservice?

Sansa's rape scene wasn't even a nude scene. It was something the TV show did to freak people out.

The countless whore house scenes, added TV only gay sex scenes and additional character nude scenes (like Melisandre letting Jon Snow touch her boob just because) are the fanservice. You should probably watch Game of Thrones before posting about it.

I can't speak super in depth for Game of Thrones, but from what I gleaned about the show from pure osmosis, claiming that Game of Thrones' sex scenes are fanservice seem to be laughable. Horrific sexual assault and rape scenes are fanservice now? Second, GoT's sex scenes are not there to be purely ogled by the watcher - they serve the story.

When I say fanservice, I'm talking about lingering ass + boob shots, the ability to undress every character down to their underwear, rubbing people's faces and tits, lesbian relationship between male players' favorite female character and the self insert, etc etc.

Fanservice directly affects a story's tone. Ergo, it directly affects the story. You're only furthering my point by claiming that people say the game is meant to be taken seriously. Contrast that with the ample sexual pandering, and you've got ridiculously jarring tonal shifts that utterly destroy immersion.

For example, right after you fight your opposite family, a moment of heavy betrayal, you unlock mycastle and the ability to rub people's faces.

When Camila comes over to your army, the game's camera makes an effort to linger on her ass and boobs. What does this add?

The game's filled to the brim with pandering fanservice. To then expect us to then take the supposedly grimdark story seriously is an insulting joke.

Doesn't change the fact that the show appeals to sex scenes more than the books. Sure, they are here for a reason, yet the books managed to omit most of them and get the point across. The series overdid it to appeal to the audience. Ergo, fanservice.

Also, you do realize you don't even need to rub a character's face or make them wear a swimsuit, or even these gay pairings you mentioned for the fun of it, right? If it seems bad for you (as it seems bad for me), you could just play and never use these features. No harm done to your or my immersion to the game.

Most of the fanservice is avoidable, and those that aren't... well, I've seen Camilla, Orochi and Charlotte as the only obligatory fanservice in the game, because of their designs and the panty+boobs shot. The amount of obligatory fanservice isn't enough to harm my immersion to the game.

Having lots and lots of fanservice can degenerate the overall tone of the game, yet most of the fanservice is avoidable, and the rest doesn't seem much. So the game manages to maintain its consistency with a darker storyline.

Gay marriages don't result in retard mangle babies.

On average, neither does one generation's worth of incest. And even if it did, birth control is a thing that exists. I think having a sexual relationship with someone you've grown up with is pretty creepy (and extremely creepy in the case of parent-child), but the health of children isn't the reason.

On-topic: I'm not sure how I feel about this.

On the one hand I can't say I'm really applauding much of it. While I don't really care about realistic armour (which has never been a fixture in the series), it's not like I care for the 3DS games' costume work at all. The Camilla opening video which has been tossed around here definitely is too gazey for my taste, despite the fact I find the character attractive and have no problem with revealing outfits. The skinship mechanics also sound a bit weird and I was certainly happier before I heard that announcement. And having eight siblings all down for banging you is just "what"... though only slightly more "what" than letting the player romance every single damn opposite-sex person in the cast.

I also completely agree that some of this makes the tone of the game harder to take seriously. First of all, I'll say that I'm ecstatic that the game actually apparently has a more serious tone to its main story; I think FE has been at its best when it's had a bit of darkness (Sacred Stones and Radiant Dawn are my favourites plotwise, both certainly did). But yes, some of the fanservice elements will hurt this a bit. Someone (Bright Bow?) already made a post which I loved detailing some of the problems that result from this pandering, and how it prevents some relationships and situations from being fleshed out in interesting ways. (Some of this pandering isn't even considered "fanservice" sometimes... again, I think I have more of an issue with the fact that Corrin can pretty much choose from dozens of sexual partners than almost anything else discussed.) So yeah, it's a concern. I still have hopes for the story, but it will need to be good "in spite of" these aspects, as has been better said by Aekenon and others.

So yeah, if I were in charge of the game a lot of this wouldn't be happening. And I'm fine with criticising it; I have in this and other threads. But... I do think some perspective is necessary here. It's certainly not worth boycotting the game over this, and it won't prevent (hopefully!) the game from being good. There are certainly worse things that video games do, which doesn't precisely excuse FE but it is a reflection of the fact that, if you're into video games, questionable aspects are hard to avoid.

Oh well.

Sorry, the "it's optional" trite doesn't fly with me.

I can't understand how optional contents take away your immersion to the game.

In any rate, we'll only know when we get to play it. I'm giving it a chance.

Edited by Rapier

You know, one has to wonder what Shin Kibayashi (the main writer) thinks of all this. He's obviously in charge of the main story, and installing the dark and dramatic tone in the game, and as what I would presume to be a decent writer he would notice the conflict of tone between the story and the tone present in My Castle and supports. IS is probably pulling him in two directions in writing for this game, specifically in how they wanted things to be done outside of the story, so I'm guessing that the way Kibayashi wants the game to be experienced in contrast to the way IS wants resulted in the lack of focus in tone. I also wonder how he feels about Kozaki's artstyle as well, and how it affected his writing.

The same way that an "optional" intermission scene of Gustav and Zero fucking would take away from my immersion in The Grand Budapest Hotel.

It's there, and it's meant to be digested along with the rest of the game. Claiming that it's optional as some sort of catch-all defense is ridiculous.

Edited by Constable Reggie

I like it. It helps me bond with the characters and a lot of it is cute.

I can understand why people don't like it but the main thing is that fanservice sells. FE would've died without how much love FE13 got, and the fanservice probably helped a bunch.

I'm not gonna let something optional and honestly kinda cute ruin a game for me :9

I don't know whether it was an issue for the writer. Mangakas are demanded to add fanservice because it appeals to the huge fat weeaboo masses who are too lazy to use Google, that also just happen to buy their mangas. They deal with this duality all the time.

I can't understand how optional contents take away your immersion to the game.

In any rate, we'll only know when we get to play it. I'm giving it a chance.

if there was an *optional* mission where your squad committed genocide of the red-haired people in fe, how would you feel about that? pretty bad, right? (ignore how much int. sys. likes red hair on main characters for the moment.)

by including fanservice (by definition needless or unnecessary), it takes away from the immersion of the game. personally, i already have a hard enough time immersing myself in other worlds (by any medium --books, movies, tv, games), this is making it that much harder for me. all because people like their waifus

No the fanservice doesn't bother me. There is far, far worse in Japanese games and animation. What does bother me is the outright hate, disgust, and immaturity some fans are showing towards the game like this type of thing hasn't happened to franchises before. Look at Harvest Moon. Though the change may not be as "great" as Fire Emblem it still altered and changed quite a few things from the older days. The reason people are throwing fits and such is just because those folks can't accept change. (And this is coming from someone who is the worst at adapting to it).

In the end- this is a Japanese game, made by a Japanese company, made for a Japanese audience. All the westerns expecting a company to change for a series that was and is still geared towards Japan, really need to get their priorities straight. I hope I haven't come off as rude but I honestly can't understand why people act like their entitled to things like this. It just baffles and confuses me. I guess- in the end even if we're adults or teenagers- we still are childish at heart ^^; Some just don't want to admit it

Also this "weeabo" nonsense is a western made term the last time I checked. But I'm pretty sure their are Japanese who are just obsessed with us westerns as well. In fact there are people all over the world who "weaboos" just for some reason people tend to ignore this fact. :/

Okay, rant done.

I'm shutting up now, sorry >.<;;

-Prism

Edited by Prism

That said, if you're bothered by Camilla, you should also be bothered by a fuckton of Awakening designs, by Vaida, by Petrine, by Sonya, et cetera.

Funny, I gave Vaida as an example of how to do a big-busted lady on a wyvern who wants to flaunt her stuff better (at least for her upper half). This is Petrine. With the exception of her lower-than-normal breastplate and upper arms (the latter which I'm not going to throw a fit over), everything else is covered. Sonia's both a mage (in other words, not going to be front and center in battle) and meant to be a seductress, so even if I think her get-up is tasteless, I can understand why she was portrayed that way.

Awakening's character designs net an eye roll.

Before Awakening, most people would probably scoff at the notion of swimsuit DLC ever being added to a Fire Emblem game. Before Fates, people would call you a freak for suggesting something like Fire Emblem Amie or heavily involved incest but here we are, and these are highly praised features.

It's just us grumpy old men who have a problem with it anymore.

WRT incest, Genealogy did it first. But unlike Fates, it wasn't glorified.

This stuff is all optional, sure, but that doesn't stop the feature from affecting the game's image. Do you want to tell your family/friends/strangers that you play a game that has incest and erotic fanservice in it?

I freely admit to playing the Agarest series, and fully enjoying it. Fates is still three steps behind Agarest in terms of fanservice.

To add to the mindfuck, I'm a straight woman.

This is really the only "fanservice" I have a problem with, because you're taking a story scene and framing it in the most male-gazey way possible.

Unless Marx's confrontation starts with him walking down some stairs with lingering ass and crotch shots, we have a problem here.

Oh hell no. Marx's best feature is his face.

I don't see any difference between same sex marriage and incest. Why is the former okay and the latter not okay?

1. Power dynamics.

2. This.

---

Soooo. . .

Unless I turn off Streetpass entirely, there's a good chance I'm going to be stuck with teams who have half-naked characters. I could, like, never go out and Streetpass, but that takes away from the feature that I DO like about it, which is the ability to recruit people from the other game.

It feels like the game's going in two opposite directions - a really dark story with fanservice sandwiched between them. I suppose I could argue that being subject to such horrific things on a daily basis makes the stuff like skinship a little more realistic - if I didn't know whether or not I'd live to see the next day, and my husband was around, you bet I'd be doing everything to make sure those possible last moments were something to remember!

With that in mind, my reaction is "meh, disappointed in the amount of it, but I'd better be able to change the color of the swimwear, because that shade of purple on Suzukaze is a crime against good taste".

Don't people know the Camilla scene is optional too like have people heard of the start of A button in some cases that out right skip certain sences or if fates have it go to the menu and press don't show cut scenes. But really if people offense by this man people on this forum needs to get some ass or something.

There's a bunch of things that I'm not particularly thrilled with the direction of, no

I mean I signed up for a strategy game and ngl the amount of fanservice feels like it could be its own separate game as is and that's quite a bit of dev resources

But on the other hand explicit lgbt relationship representation exist and peg/troub/fighter/zoika finally got out of genderlock hell so at least my money will go towards supporting that

Don't people know the Camilla scene is optional too like have people heard of the start of A button in some cases that out right skip certain sences or if fates have it go to the menu and press don't show cut scenes. But really if people offense by this man people on this forum needs to get some ass or something.

As a matter of fact, the entire story except for parts you like is optional! Just skip/close your eyes during any part of the game you don't like

Edited by Constable Reggie

if there was an *optional* mission where your squad committed genocide of the red-haired people in fe, how would you feel about that? pretty bad, right? (ignore how much int. sys. likes red hair on main characters for the moment.)

by including fanservice (by definition needless or unnecessary), it takes away from the immersion of the game. personally, i already have a hard enough time immersing myself in other worlds (by any medium --books, movies, tv, games), this is making it that much harder for me. all because people like their waifus

The optional mission would feel like bullshit, I'd feel like they wasted an opportunity to include something relevant to the game, but it wouldn't affect my playthrough at all. As I said before, I wish they had focused on better designs that actually fit the mood more, but the amount of obligatory fanservice is not enough to give me a bad taste of the game.

1. Power dynamics.

2. This.

I mean, how is same-sex relationships any worse than siblings relationships? Both are considerably harmless if contraceptives are used. If they're harmless, then it shouldn't matter. And since we're speaking about a fantasy setting, such issues don't even need to be taken into account. It seems like a double-standard, at least to me, for someone to claim they're okay with the former but not okay with the latter.

...And what if something important happens in that cutscene? Cutscenes aren't meant to be skipped the first time.

The optional mission would feel like bullshit, I'd feel like they wasted an opportunity to include something relevant to the game, but it wouldn't affect my playthrough at all. As I said before, I wish they had focused on better designs that actually fit the mood more, but the amount of obligatory fanservice is not enough to give me a bad taste of the game.

i honestly don't believe you. if the game made it so that you could literally commit genocide, just because, and your reaction is that lax, i think that's a problem.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

This is such a stupid argument. You're suggesting that people turn off ALL cutscenes in the game, which are incredibly important in immersing the player in the story and setting the tone, so they don't have to see one or two that they might find distasteful? It's not like we can predict when certain cutscenes are coming if it's our first time playing through the game.