Does the amount of fanservice bother you?

Chiki

565 members have voted

1. 1. Does it bother you?

...And what if something important happens in that cutscene? Cutscenes aren't meant to be skipped the first time.

I am pretty sure nothing happens in Camilla secene except the whole fanservice scene that every ody panties in a bunch and her trying to give you hug/try to kill you. But like I said just skip that cut scene or spoil your self on it.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i honestly don't believe you. if the game made it so that you could literally commit genocide, just because, and your reaction is that lax, i think that's a problem.

I kill and burn down many people in GTA 5 for the lolz and I'm as lax as me playing any other games that doesn't deal with violent like Pokemon, do I have a problem or is it just the fact that I'm playing a video game?

TIL: I have no reason to ever dislike any aspect of my existance, because I have the option of killing myself.

I mean that's the only thing we don't get a real choice in unless we do it ourselves right? You either live or die. Everything else is optional.

Edited by Irysa

I am okay with fanservice. It's a cultural thing (isn't it?), and having grown up on anime, I'm pretty well acclimated to it. Sometimes, I even kind of like it.

What it really comes down to is one's ability to overlook things that one is averse to but that aren't directly causing harm. It's a skill that society as a whole has been lacking for... well, ever. If the fanservice in Fates is too much for you to allow you to enjoy it, then maybe this just isn't the Fire Emblem game for you. Don't waste your money on it! If you insist on playing it anyway, wait until you can get a used copy.

[slightlyofftopic]It could be worse! A lot of people pre-ordered Destiny and it was only a portion of the finished game... and some people are still paying for it in the form of DLC. At least you see what you're getting before it gets here.[/slightlyofftopic]

Edited by Robin Goodfellow

I kill and burn down many people in GTA 5 for the lolz and I'm as lax as me playing any other games that doesn't deal with violent like Pokemon, do I have a problem or is it just the fact that I'm playing a video game?

the atmosphere is completely different. on top of gta being a literal satire, the characters purposefully created to be the worst people, and all that other jazz. fire emblem is completely different.

the argument against the fanservice is that it kills the atmosphere and immersion. the argument i'm making with the theoretical genocide (for no reason) is that it would completely alter the way the writers wanted you to view the characters in the story of fire emblem. i'm not making a statement on what should be included based on morals.

I'm ok with big tits and asses if they have a point outside of giving you a stiffy. The Sexy Nurses in Silent Hill 2 were made Sexy because they represented a part of James Sunderland's psyche (He hadn't had a chance to fuck his wife or any woman in a long time). On the flipside, what about Camila's design gives off "kind and caring" and "doting big sister"? If you were to show Camila to anybody who didn't know her personalty they would probably assume that she was a very sexually minded woman or in more blunt terms, a whore. If your purposefully putting in masturbation material just to be masturbation material in a game about making difficult decision about swearing loyalty to one family or the other then maybe your putting stuff in for the wrong reason.

Edited by DUFF MCWHALEN

Seems like we're actively seeking things to complain about at this point. The Camilla scene is fanservicey sure but the scene in question is actually significant to the story. And after that, what else is there to be "bothered" by? If you're uncomfortable with even *hints* of sexuality in fire emblem, whatever, but I don't think there are even any cut scenes following it that are comparable to what we're all getting so riled up about.

the argument against the fanservice is that it kills the atmosphere and immersion. the argument i'm making with the theoretical genocide (for no reason) is that it would completely alter the way the writers wanted you to view the characters in the story of fire emblem. i'm not making a statement on what should be included based on morals.

What immersion is being broken? We know that we aren't actually Kamui or that none of the siblings are actually our siblings or that we can turn into mega Dialgas. Is one cutscene or flirty dialogue from a character going to hamper your enjoyment of the game that much? We're still doing super serious business like killing our would be companions on opposite paths and fighting our siblings. Besides, I think we're kind of supposed to get the feeling that Camilla is proud of her sexuality and that's what we get from the scene (among other things).

And with the whole incest thing, looking at the supports, the siblings all come on to Kamui; confessing that they've felt that way since the beginning. Is it weird? In a cultural context, sure, but they definitely address the fact that it's not normal or conventional and that others may think it's wrong. No one is being forced or coerced into an unwanted relationship due to a power dynamic.

the atmosphere is completely different. on top of gta being a literal satire, the characters purposefully created to be the worst people, and all that other jazz. fire emblem is completely different.

If fanservice ruined their immersion that mean they go out of their way to see these things, I shoot up the strip club but never had a stripper danced for me in GTA 5. So that never ruined how great of an game that GTA 5 can be without the sexual stuffs. As far as i see with the stream goes, there no forced fanservice materials at all in the core game play and story.

Honestly i was planning on using Hatred as example but that game too silly if anything.

Edited by Awakener_

To add my two cents, it kind of breaks the immersion because [spoiler=Early-Game Plot Spoilers] one chapter after the Hoshido Queen dies, you instantly get access to vegetable growing, face rubbing and bathouses, along underwear 3D model admiring.

My complain about fanservice mainly comes from the fact that I'm a rather prude person, and seeing this type of fanservice relying on skin-showing kind of disgusts me. Some people are more tolerant than me (kind of everyone is to be fair) towards that so they don't mind as much, but I don't like to see that in Fire Emblem games.

Edited by Chastlily

^ Pro Tip: You need to add a / in front of the second

and unbold it to make a spoiler box

My gratitude ! May I ask you how to name the spoiler title itself? I'm used to Reddit formatting so I don't quite know yet how to format on forums

I know, the game could've been much better if they did not focus so much on fanservice, but how is the game less than enjoyable just because of it? I think I am going to be able to play it and enjoy it, despite the fanservice.

Seems like we're actively seeking things to complain about at this point. The Camilla scene is fanservicey sure but the scene in question is actually significant to the story. And after that, what else is there to be "bothered" by? If you're uncomfortable with even *hints* of sexuality in fire emblem, whatever, but I don't think there are even any cut scenes following it that are comparable to what we're all getting so riled up about.

What immersion is being broken? We know that we aren't actually Kamui or that none of the siblings are actually our siblings or that we can turn into mega Dialgas. Is one cutscene or flirty dialogue from a character going to hamper your enjoyment of the game that much? We're still doing super serious business like killing our would be companions on opposite paths and fighting our siblings. Besides, I think we're kind of supposed to get the feeling that Camilla is proud of her sexuality and that's what we get from the scene (among other things).

And with the whole incest thing, looking at the supports, the siblings all come on to Kamui; confessing that they've felt that way since the beginning. Is it weird? In a cultural context, sure, but they definitely address the fact that it's not normal or conventional and that others may think it's wrong. No one is being forced or coerced into an unwanted relationship due to a power dynamic.

It's not an absolute "like or dislike". There's a bunch of people, myself included, that aren't super-de-duper happy about every aspect of the game. I suggest reading through the replies, and rather than sorting them as "like" and "dislike", take the time to figure out why.

EDIT:

My gratitude ! May I ask you how to name the spoiler title itself? I'm used to Reddit formatting so I don't quite know yet how to format on forums

Like this:

[spoiler='Named spoiler']Haha wasted your time![/spoiler]
[spoiler=Named spoiler]Haha wasted your time! Edited by eclipse

I know, the game could've been much better if they did not focus so much on fanservice, but how is the game less than enjoyable just because of it? I think I am going to be able to play it and enjoy it, despite the fanservice.

Because it creates a jarring and inconsistent tone for the game.

If you're going to enjoy the game because of/despite the fanservice, great! It's good enjoying things, and I sincerely hope no wants to prevent you from enjoying it. But please keep in mind there are legitimate criticisms that hamper others from liking the game as much, and we voice those criticisms because we love(d) the series in the first place.

there's a lot of posts in this topic, so i'll forgive you for not having read my previous posts. as i've stated previously, i don't have a problem with the incest directly (that could be interesting), nor do i have an issue with that weird scene where camilla is flaunting her jiggly bits in front of her sibling (and by issue i mean my jimmies aren't rustled. i still find it weird, unnecessary, and uninteresting); however, i do indeed have issues with those "skinship" dialogues. i do have issues with the stripping of soldiers because that gives nothing but sexual gratification. who goes to fire emblem for sexual gratification? it's reminiscent of fanfiction, and if my actual fictional game feels like a creepy, sexualized fanfiction of itself, that ruins immersion.

If fanservice ruined their immersion that mean they go out of their way to see these things, I shoot up the strip club but never had a stripper danced for me in GTA 5. So that never ruined how great of an game that GTA 5 can be without the sexual stuffs. As far as i see with the stream goes, there no forced fanservice materials at all in the core game play and story.

Honestly i was planning on using Hatred as example but that game too silly if anything.

but getting a dance wouldn't even ruin immersion. trevor is literally introduced fucking a woman while they're both high on meth, lol. sex doesn't frighten me, and sex doesn't ruin immersion. fanservice ruins immersion (again, by definition fanservice is unnecessary content put in only for sexual gratification).

@rapier, reggie's words are exactly correct.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I thought they couldn't top Cherche as a sexy wyvern rider, then they give us Camilla.

Too bad the PC brigade made them give us a male pegasus knight instead of another Cordelia.

Edited by Cerberus87

I don't mind fanservice as long as you do not see genitalia or too many free nipples at once. Sure, if only girls are part of said fanservice, then I will rage as a fellow girl that feels that female characters are only used as bait so that men can enjoy their skimpy outfits. But if only some of them wear things like that or you get the option to show said girls (and guys!) in underwear or anything else, then so be it. I don't have to let the characters wear said underwear, after all, so everything is good.

No fanservice? Good. Fanservice? Good as long as it is around equal for both sides. I do not see fanservice as something completely sexual, though. I understand that that is obviously the idea behind most of it, but since I'm demisexual and I cannot built up a real relationship with characters, I feel no sexual attraction to any game characters at all. (This sounds mildly weird, but I am sure that you guys can understand what I mean.) Not the skimpy outfits or pixelated abs, nothing. Sure, some of them are aestetically pleasing and I really enjoy analysing their outfits because of my artistic interests, but that is all. Take that Camilla scene, for example: Over the top, sure, and I do not like that she is our #1 fanservice character that gets shoved in our faces, but I actually just analysed the way she walks and how they use the camera positions to achieve said over the top fanservice atmosphere. Am I weird? Maybe. But being demisexual kind of makes me numb to this issue, though I DO rage when only female characters are used in that way. That's a big, sexualising no-no.

Edited by Fallen Cloud

I don't mind about fanservice. But what I not undertand is why some are whinning about it.

1. It's optional (I guess everybody know that one)

2. Awakening was rated T and it had fanservice too (quite less but still). Fates is probably be rate T too or even M.

3. Countries don't share the same cultures. The one who said they wasted time and moneyarrow-10x10.png by making fanservice is right and wrong at the same time. Yes, it's was not necesary to add fanservice but in Japan, it was worth for Nitendo.

4. It's not like we could see our characters naked or something.

5. I think we can all be agree that the localization team with take care of some aspectsarrow-10x10.png of the game.

Edited by Nym

I don't mind about fanservice. But what I not undertand is why some are whinning about it.

1. It's optional (I guess everybody know that one)

2. Awakening was rated T and it had fanservice too (quite less but still). Fates is probably be rate T too or even M.

3. Countries don't share the same cultures. The one who said they wasted time and moneyarrow-10x10.png by making fanservice is right and wrong at the same time. Yes, it's was not necesary to add fanservice but in Japan, it was worth for Nitendo.

4. It's not like we could see our characters naked or something.

5. I think we can all be agree that the localization team with take care of some aspectsarrow-10x10.png of the game.

I don't really agree with the "it's optional" argument when it's used that way. If it was used in the "I don't like those features, but they are optional so I don't mind" then I wouldn't have a problem with it. The issue I take with it is that you use it as a "the content is optional, so you should not complain about it" , which is just a way to dismiss opinions in a rather stupid way. No one is saying that if you don't mind optional content you are wrong, but please at least respect that some people may mind it. We should judge a game with everything it has, or our judgement is flawed.

The fanservice in itself is not the troubling aspect - I can understand it existing in games such as Hyperdimension Neptunia, the problem with its inclusion in Fire Emblem in particular is that it vaporizes any semblance of a consistent tone. Games like HN and Disgaea have consistent tones - lighthearted and jokey, and so the fanservice in those games don't feel out of place (though I still personally struggle to play the HN game I bought on a sale whim despite this). The interviews with the Fates guys indicate that they want to make this game's story meaningful. What a joke. The decision to include so much fanservice (which include the likes of a pandering lesbian Tharja), along the other horrible choices IS have made (in particular, the decision to split the game at the store, rather than at the player's choice) butchers any possibility of this game having a quality story. Wasn't that the initial hope when this game was announced?

Enjoy the fanservice if you want, but there's no denying that until IS just up and make the straight hentai game they seem to really want, its a significant detraction. Focus on either a "heavy, meaningful story" (ex Fe 4, 5, 9. 10, etc), or a non serious "rub everyone's tits and strip them to their underwear anime" (ex HN, Senran Kagura, etc). Trying to combine the two, like Fates is doing, is laughable.

Yeah pretty much. I've lost so much interest in this game, so I haven't kept up with the updates, but a lot of this stuff about rubbing and taking off clothes just sounds...I don't even know.

For me RD was the peak of Fire Emblem, so while I thought Awakening was fine despite all the annoying fanservicey precedents set, I really dislike that they're pushing further and aggressively in that direction. I think for now I'll just be moving on to other games, and occasionally replaying Tellius.

Chastlily: Woah woah, I just said I don't undertand why. I never lacked of respect at someone who is not agree with me. I did not say something like: ''You guys are all wrong and dumb'' or something like that.

My post was more like : ''I don't understand why some are all angry about it, it's just optional.''

(Maybe it's also because of ''whinning'' that you thought that I was lacking of respect over someone else. I'm not 100% bilingual yet so please forget my bad grammar and lack of vocabulary.)

Edited by Nym

It makes me sad that all this player worship and shallow fanservice is now a permanent fixture of the series. There is so much they can do with the series but IS is now just focused on giving the player base metaphorical blow jobs. Wake me when Fire Emblem is renown for it's story-telling, characterization and strategy, not a love simulator.

Chastlily: Woah woah, I just said I don't undertand why. I never lacked of respect at someone who is not agree with me. I did not say something like: ''You guys are all wrong and dumb'' or something like that.

My post was more like : ''I don't understand why some are all angry about it, it's just optional.''

(Maybe it's also because of ''whinning'' that you thought that I was lacking of respect over someone else. I'm not 100% bilingual yet so please forget my bad grammar and lack of vocabulary.)

Worry not about that

Well, simply put, some people don't like that fanservice because it has very little to do with Fire Emblem and it gives definitive advantages for very little effort. The other type of reason is simply because a lot of female characters just end up sexualized more than anything, take Charlotte for example (To avoid the "fighter" argument, I'll say simply that there ARE double standards in society and a chest exposed man is not the same as a chest exposed woman)