Does the amount of fanservice bother you?

Chiki

565 members have voted

1. 1. Does it bother you?

I have actually heard of people who weren't related but grew up under the same roof entering a romantic relationship together when they got older.

It's possible but what I find more unlikely is all 4 of your siblings coming to the conclusion that Kamui is a very fuck-able brother/sister and yet they don't feel that way about each other because that would be weird, right?

I must be getting old because I'm starting to sound prudish by criticizing all this brother-sister fucking.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm not too bothered by a majority of the designs, (I'll always prefer long flow-y robes when it comes to dark mages) but I will admit that the skinship stuff feels a bit iffy to me. I'm not too bothered by it, and since it's optional I doubt I'll make use of it much, but it does bring up some minor worries for the values of future games.

Overall, I'm not too bothered, but still worried and slightly uncomfy here and there.

It's possible but what I find more unlikely is all 4 of your siblings coming to the conclusion that Kamui is a very fuck-able brother/sister and yet they don't feel that way about each other because that would be weird, right?

I must be getting old because I'm starting to sound prudish by criticizing all this brother-sister fucking.

We are 2 then...

It seems to be a problem with Japan's marketing. They are afraid of selling games that do not feature fanservice, because the Otaku money over there IS a big thing. It's crappy because I don't want to see sexiness in all the games I buy, I want different things for different series.

However, I was happy to know some Japanese fans think FE is dead or that they dislike some of the new things, because I'm tired of seeing people claiming Japan is OK with everything IntSys does.

That's why i'm deciding to quit or to persist in the world of gaming..

Edited by Jenoss

Just gonna say, if we've reached a point where you're being made to feel like a prude for criticizing incest, then we made a wrong turn somewhere.

Just giving my two cents which I assume is the purpose of this board (I am kind of a noob but I don't take it for granted that it would work as a flameshield).

I am not too overtly bothered by the fanservice in the game, mainly because I have seen worse. I am not too bothered about the whole incest thing either. That said, listening to the sound files I just downloaded makes me really uncomfortable, since I did plan on playing the game while commuting (I do use headphones so it's mainly a psychological thing). Did somebody listen to Camilla's (what I presume is) S-rank dialogue. It's dripping with sultriness that it's hard to deny that whoever created her did intend to make her a seductive women, even if that is not all to it. If it served a purpose in the story, then that's fine (think Margaery Tyrell in GoT, for those who watch it).

To be honest though, the people on Reddit are really whiny and immature virgins.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

But seriously, over on reddit, from all i've seen, if you SUPPORT the OPTIONAL features, you'll get downvoted and bitched at.

If you hate on the features, you get upvoted ಠ_ಠ

90% of the time over the past 2 days I don't even want to contribute to a post due to the negativitiy

Edited by Xanek

Is that really 'getting old'?

I think soo too...

Most of the new generation of player when they play a game with "rape" or "huge amount of violence" contents are totally indifferent to it...

Same things happen around people that are into the "fanbase" of shipping things/games/films/everythingintheworld around "tumblr" or any other social shipping network... Incest are just the abc for them, like i see on the net..

Aaaaand it seems to happen especially to the new generations..

Edited by Jenoss

I'm definitely not a fan with how overblown the fan service is in this game, let alone using Awakening characters and shoehorning children into it yet again. The series seems to be headed in a direction far from that of its predecessors and I don't understand why we can't get a game that takes what RD accomplished and builds on top of that.

There's so much unnecessary fluff in this game that it isn't even funny.

I think soo too...

Most of the new generation of player when they play a game with "rape" or "huge amount of violence" contents are totally indifferent to it...

Same things happen around people that are into the "fanbase" of shipping things/games/films/everythingintheworld around "tumblr" or any other social shipping network... Incest are just the abc for them, like i see on the net..

Aaaaand it seems to happen especially to the new generations..

I fail to see how you associate "rape" and "violence" to "incest", as the first two are crimes and the last is a social taboo, but it's not given that it's forbidden. Also, why should the "new generation" (a very broad term) have higher tolerance towards it? Just because they are young? I consider myself young, not yet past my prime.

I was concerned yesterday, but the reveal of Shara and Zero has calmed me down enough that I'm perfectly fine with all this, because at least they are being equal opportunity with the gratuitousness of Fates and actually pushing the envelope a bit. As long as I don't feel like it detracts from the core gameplay and the rest of the game is at the same standard as Awakening I don't mind it at all. It's just harmless fluff.

I'll admit that the Hoshido siblings being S rankable made me pause, but that's more because of the insanely complex backstory they seem to be giving Kamui. If it was just "Yes they are your siblings but we're letting you marry them anyway if you choose" I wouldn't actually mind so much, but all this jumping through hoops as to if/how you're related is a bit ridiculous.

Edited by EJ107

I fail to see how you associate "rape" and "violence" to "incest", as the first two are crimes and the last is a social taboo, but it's not given that it's forbidden. Also, why should the "new generation" (a very broad term) have higher tolerance towards it? Just because they are young? I consider myself young, not yet past my prime.

New generations have a higher tolerance to that just because they are bombed with violence in every way..

Tv, telefilms, films, videogames, all the kind of media and soo on.

I, like a 24 never been bombed soo much by all this kind of stuffs when i way a boy, but i see nowadays, all around me, boys that see that kind of things like "normal" even if i don't at my age..

If you see an incest just like a social taboo, that's what is wrong in your view association on the terms

Edited by Jenoss

While I'm not too shocked by all the fanservice the cringe is still real tho, it does detract from the tone that FE14 wants to do. Is it going to be a super serial story with unforgiving drama in a down to earth fantasy setting, or is it going to be super happy fun time where everyone gets blatantly sexualized without any artistic substance whatsoever? dem 3ds titties At least its on the 3ds so there isn't going to be incredibly awkward moments where parents/siblings walk into the room while I'm playing the game.

New generations have a higher tolerance to that just because they are bombed with violence in every way..

I, like a 24 never been bombed soo much by all this kind of stuffs when i way a boy, but i see nowadays, all around me, boys that see that kind of things like "normal" even if i don't at my age..

If you see an incest just like a social taboo, that's what is wrong in your view association on the terms

When you say that they are bombed with more violence, I immediately think about the immature kids playing Call of Duty and I consider that a failure on the parents' part. That said, my generation (and you are in it) did have stuffs that kids shouldn't watch too. I remember the James Bond movies were the fad back in the days and almost all kids knew about it. I am fairly certain that most watched the movies before they turned 18 and considering the content in the movies, yeah...

Please elaborate on what you mean in my association of the terms. I don't see how incest would warrant punishment from the law and the biological side-effect I see from incest is the higher possibility of mental defect in the offspring (which I admittadly, does not have a source on hand and only remember), so if it's not a social taboo, born from our culture and tradition, then what is it?

Is that really 'getting old'?

Before Awakening, most people would probably scoff at the notion of swimsuit DLC ever being added to a Fire Emblem game. Before Fates, people would call you a freak for suggesting something like Fire Emblem Amie or heavily involved incest but here we are, and these are highly praised features.

It's just us grumpy old men who have a problem with it anymore.

Everyone's own moral views aside on the matter, the main issue people have with incest is the problem with genetics.

Perhaps the Nohr harem is afraid that they will have a baby like Gheb if they are attracted to each other, so they only feel attraction towards the person who can give them good babies.

Now Hoshido on the other hand....

^ But quite frankly that is what Incest is, until you add the bloodlines into the equation as you might hurt the baby/mother but that is absent here. But then again social tabbo is a pretty big thing. And really rape and violence? For One you can commit rape and violence much easier Irl relatively speaking than taking part in incest and if you do it is likely to come under the rape part as well anyway.

I get not wanting to S support the siblings i myself won't, but i can see other people Kaimui's going for it, We have had incest before in fire emblem and this one is not even technically incest. geez it has happened in the time period of FE why should it not be in the game, because you believe it to be morally wrong? If not what is the problem? that people want to S support them at all? You choose who you S support so you chose wether you think of them as sibilings or not. I looked thorugh the angles i can't find a reason for others not to do the pairing.

While I'm not too shocked by all the fanservice the cringe is still real tho, it does detract from the tone that FE14 wants to do. Is it going to be a super serial story with unforgiving drama in a down to earth fantasy setting, or is it going to be super happy fun time where everyone gets blatantly sexualized without any artistic substance whatsoever? dem 3ds titties At least its on the 3ds so there isn't going to be incredibly awkward moments where parents/siblings walk into the room while I'm playing the game.

This really sums up my thoughts exactly. The theme of the story and the whole waifu thing clash with eachother, which makes both parts feel like different games.

^ But quite frankly that is what Incest is, until you add the bloodlines into the equation as you might hurt the baby/mother but that is absent here. But then again social tabbo is a pretty big thing. And really rape and violence? For One you can commit rape and violence much easier Irl relatively speaking than taking part in incest and if you do it is likely to come under the rape part as well anyway.

I get not wanting to S support the siblings i myself won't, but i can see other people Kaimui's going for it, We have had incest before in fire emblem and this one is not even technically incest. geez it has happened in the time period of FE why should it not be in the game, because you believe it to be morally wrong? If not what is the problem? that people want to S support them at all? You choose who you S support so you chose wether you think of them as sibilings or not. I looked thorugh the angles i can't find a reason for others not to do the pairing.

The problem with the supposed incest in this game is that unlike Geneology, it isn't contextually bound. Outside of Cousin/Cousin, Incest was not actually condoned in Geneology. Arvis and Deirdre were unaware of their shared mother at their time of union, Seliph backed off of Julia when he found out she was his half sister, and Altenna/Arione is implied to be a secret affair. This game however just treats it as any other pairing. This is further made creepy in the fact that some of the Nohr sibling's lines in FE Amie still have them acknowledging you as their sibling despite being married to the Avatar. The siblings have and always will identify the Avatar as their sibling. Which makes it still seem incestuous despite the fact that they have no blood relations. I'd be fine with the Nohr sibling marriage if they didn't really refer to you as their sibling at least after marriage, but that obviously isn't the case.

It seems more like the usage of the wrong word.

An "otaku" is a person who is unhealthy obsessed with moe and waifus and things of that nature, which seems to be what the message is hinting at.

Actually, if you want to use technicalities, in Japan Otakus are simply people who are passionate about their hobby; no direct relation to what you stated. It's largely just Western perception.

Anyway, as for the main point: yes. It does. It may be optional, but it still holds the game back for me and many others. Imagine you're at a party, and then a corner opens up where people can smoke. Sure, you don't have to do it, but you get the idea that the party has become something else that you don't like as much.

Fates seems more extreme than Awakening. It's definitely throwing pre-Awakening fans a bone, but also has also vastly dialed up the fanservice. It's really starting to feel like two completely different games; if IS wants to make a Dating Sim, make a Dating Sim. Don't keep on bringing the stuff in to your SRPG.

The incest doesn't bother me because it remains consensual. It might be squicky to some, but I don't think it's really wrong to tell two consenting people who they can or can't fall in love with. Especially when it was commonplace in royalty (and no one has to marry their sibling but it's nice to have the option).

The face touching... I dunno, I might play around with it a few times because I'm a dirty woman but then I'll probably get bored of it. =3= I don't think I'll actually put anyone in a bathing suit or whatever except for the hot springs thing.

The only fanservice that really bugs me is the blatant pandering to Awakening-only fans via certain characters. I just really, really wanted If to stand out on its own without having to pull this crap. Since those three units are recruited in Nohr by default I can't avoid them despite wanting to.

I don't hate the Incest/Face rubbing/etc. (although I certainly make fun of them), but I do hate the Awakening fanservice since Awakening's story and characters were godawful and they've infiltrated this supposedly new game.

As people already gave their two cents about this poll, I'm not sure if I got anything new to add. Yet here goes.

Yes, I am bothered in general by all the fan-service. Why? Perhaps it's because I'm used to Fire Emblem games pre-Awakening that had a more serious atmosphere, like someone said before me. When the story and characters are serious, to me, the game comes alive. A game like Fire Emblem does have serious themes y'know, like war, death, betrayal, loyalty, friendship and so on. And then characters wear less armor to reveal more body, are more light-hearted as if their lives aren't really on the line, they make jokes, get married. (Now making jokes ain't bad, don't get me wrong.)

When I saw the first trailers, and I saw that you had to choose sides, it got me very excited. Because it's a hard choice, nonetheless, and brings a lot of emotions with it.

To me, all the fanservice in Fates contradicts those themes. Am I playing a game for a laugh and to gaze at cleavage or to experience a story? Of course, for everyone this differs.

Now, to continue about the cleavage part, it just in general feels wrong. I'm not only looking to Camilla, but also Charlotte, Orochi, and so on. I mean, you're not going to win a battle by showing your breasts or other body parts like that. It's the armor that (often) let's you live another day, in a war. And if you walk in camp with your assets exposed like that, then why should I take you seriously anyway?

Face-rubbing, another silly thing imho. Let's say you have this good friend and you happen to be in your room together. You start touching his/ her face. You rub it, stroke it. There are several things that could happen, but I think these are logical.

Your friend asks you what the hell you're doing? Or your friend runs away from you, startled. Perhaps your friend doesn't know what to say and sits there all embarassed because you entered his/ her personal space just like that. And the rare case says that he/ she is honoured by you touching his/ her face ala FE Fates.

Not to mention if you do this to a stranger, someone you just happen to meet. Or if you're a guy touching the face of a random girl.

10 bucks you're going to get slapped or the police is called for harrassement.

Where it comes down to I think, is that all the fanservice collides with my (and perhaps other people's) morals and values. And I think I need to get used to FE taking a more lighthearted way. Now, this is based to what I know so far (about the fanservice), avoiding as many story and character related spoilers as possible. I just hope that IS simply presented more fanservice when they did and that all the awesome stuff I see in-game has yet to be explored.

EDIT: I should note that I will get the game to find out all the awesome stuff it has. Still looking forward to it!

Edited by ReaperGuardian

This really sums up my thoughts exactly. The theme of the story and the whole waifu thing clash with eachother, which makes both parts feel like different games.

The problem with the supposed incest in this game is that unlike Geneology, it isn't contextually bound. Outside of Cousin/Cousin, Incest was not actually condoned in Geneology. Arvis and Deirdre were unaware of their shared mother at their time of union, Seliph backed off of Julia when he found out she was his half sister, and Altenna/Arione is implied to be a secret affair. This game however just treats it as any other pairing. This is further made creepy in the fact that some of the Nohr sibling's lines in FE Amie still have them acknowledging you as their sibling despite being married to the Avatar. The siblings have and always will identify the Avatar as their sibling. Which makes it still seem incestuous despite the fact that they have no blood relations. I'd be fine with the Nohr sibling marriage if they didn't really refer to you as their sibling at least after marriage, but that obviously isn't the case.

So wait because the citizens in 4 don't like it that means it is a bad thing and not creepy ? Geez if i remember correctly, raqausis and eldigan having aless was originally Canon till they changed it part way through and the fact that it is a secret doesn't change any thing. And though i won't be marrying the sibilings. And as bad as i feel to say this, when you get right down to it, in this case Brother and sister are just words, they have as much power as the hearer allows them to have, and as much meaning as the speaker gives them. Plus Kaimui doesn't seem to accept lightly in the slightest from the camilla Kaimui S support i read. And yeah the player can go into it lightly, but i don't see the problem on that end.

Now here is a guy who hit the nail on the spike. It's not incest itself I have a problem with, it's the incest in this game, whether with the Hoshidan or the Nohrian siblings. Doesn't matter if you are blood-related or not, they are your FAMILY! There is more to life than love and marriage, in fact, I consider my family (my parents, my siblings) the most important part of my life and it's NOT because of seeing them as potential waifus.

So I guess my dissatisfaction with the fanservice is that they included marriageable family members (even if Kamui is not blood-related). I am fine with face-rubbing and stripping, but if they threw the whole family theme out the window just to make the avatar able to marry a certain sibling because of that hot bod, then I am utterly dissapointed.