Online multiplayer

Icy Toast

So since the game turns out to have what seems like a pretty decent online multiplayer feature, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where those of us who have imported the game can arrange matches and exchange relevant information.

EDIT: Uh, so, I kind of assumed the online multiplayer feature had already been leaked through the various streams over the last two days, but well, apparently not. So yeah, feel free to take this topic as a "Online battles confirmed"-kind of topic. I'd still love to exchange some friend codes though. :P

For those who don't own the game or for those who do but simply haven't tried this feature yet, I've added some information on the online multiplayer feature based on my own observations below. If anyone could confirm/correct/add to any of this information, please feel free to do so!

(Please note that all of the information below is based on just a couple of battles, so some of my assumptions may turn out to be inaccurate.)

Key features

- 5v5 deathmatch battles with a team of units selected from one of your save files (at any point in the game)

- Local battles, 3DS friend list battles and random online battles

- Random online battles can be played with standard rules or with limitations to eliminate the effect of Eternal Proofs and possibly other items

- No fog of war

- Time limit of 5 minutes per turn (default)

Menu structure:

Main menu

- Extra (エクストラ)

--- Link battle (通信対戦)

----- Local battle (ローカル対戦)

------- Host (通信相手を募集)

------- Join (募集に応じる)

----- Online battle (インターネット対戦)

------- Random standard battle (ランダム通常対戦)

--------- [Team selection]

------- Random limited battle (ランダム制限対戦) 

--------- [Team selection]

------- Friend battle (フレンド対戦)

--------- [Your 3DS friend list]

----- Edit team (チーム編成)

------- Team A (チームA)

------- Team B (チームB)

------- Team C (チームC)

------- Team D (チームD)

------- Team E (チームE)

----- Empty blacklist (ブラックリスト消去)

Maps

7 maps:

- Mountain village (seems to be the same map used in ch. 4)

- Opera house

- Destroyed city

- Decayed black dragon fortress (a slightly altered version of Nohr ch.9)

- Palace (seems to be the same map used in Nohr ch.12)

- Your own My Castle

- The opposing player's My Castle

All of these maps contain Dragon Vein mechanisms and some include destructible objects or movable obstacles.

Note that for My Castle maps, positions will not be assigned based on whose castle it is, so you might find yourself in a 'defensive' starting position near the throne in the opposing player's My Castle. My Castle maps include destructible buildings, just like in streetpass battles, but as the buildings are neutral they do not grant building bonuses to either player.

Miscellaneous observations

- You can save up to 5 different teams

- Before the battle begins, both players will be able to see the total combat strength rating of the opposing player's units as well as the name of their opponent.

- In friend list battles (and presumably also in local battles), the host will be able to choose a map, configure handicaps, set starting positions to normal/random and choose the time limit per turn (3 / 5 / 10 minutes).

- In random online battles, only the map and the handicap setting can be configured, but I don't know how the game decides which player gets the map of their choice. (Rather puzzling, to be honest. I would appreciate it if anyone had more information on this.)

- Team colours seem to be assigned at random. The blue team gets to move first.

- Items and skills all seem to function as usual - but keep in mind that I've really only seen a few so far.

- Stave uses are halved at the start of the battle.

- The cursor can be moved around freely during the enemy phase.

- As the battle progresses, the lighting will sometimes shift through the dawn-day-dusk-night cycle, but not all lighting variants seem to be available for each map.=

- After each random online battle, the game asks you whether the opposing player should be blacklisted.

It's possible to make a team and play online at any point in the game, so if anyone wants to give it a try, feel free to use this topic to exchange friend codes! Mine is 3 3 0 8 - 5 5 7 9 - 7 6 3 6.

EDIT: To make things easier, people interested in battling other SF users online might want to submit their friend code to the convenient spreadsheet Jedi and Elieson made for the My Castle topic!

(Also, I'm not actually very far into the game myself, so I obviously don't have a battle-ready team yet at this point!)

Edited by Icy Toast

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news about multiplayer!

Where's the info from?

From my copy of the game. I've been playing around with the multiplayer feature for an hour or two now to see how it works - despite being horribly underpowered compared to most of the people queuing right now, haha.

Why didn't they talk about it more ?

I've been wondering the same thing! It seems like a pretty big selling point to me, so why hide it away in the extra's menu without ever even mentioning it in the trailers?

YES. I was the rare type of gamer who actually liked Shadow Dragon's multiplayer haha.

I am now super hyped. This game seemed like a drag, but now it surprises me everyday.

now if the story is the best in the series, I will consider liking this game more than Thracia 776

EDIT:

Oh, how many units per team?

EDIT 2:

AGH. Didn't read the 5v5 part. So it's just like Shadow Dragon, huh.

Edited by Leif

From my copy of the game. I've been playing around with the multiplayer feature for an hour or two now to see how it works - despite being horribly underpowered compared to most of the people queuing right now, haha.

Okay. Good for you getting the game =)

ironically enough I've been following the datamined/streamed info so closely I kind of forgot you can find this info by actually playing

Holy crap! This is what I wanted the most!

Thanks for the info.

+1 Im in the exactly same boat.

Im under the assumption the 5 units you choose for the battle is from the story you progressed. Since White and Black Kingdoms have different classes, i wonder if there will be balancing issues

I hope it plays pretty well. I always appreciate a good online multiplayer, even if it'll take a little bit of grinding.

I hope Nohr gives you some way to grind in the post-game outside of DLC. Otherwise, those goodie-two-shoe Hoshidos will have the advantage.

So wait, when I watched a stream (before actual release), he did streetpass and had 3 streetpasses lined up.

Can you receive streetpass teams via the online functionality also, or is it still streetpass?

Hoshido players are gonna wreck us Nohr players.

Grinding, man.

I assume we don't know if there will be EXP DLC like in Awakening.

Also, I assume the third path will have grinding since it's a mix between Hoshido and Nohr.

Hoshido players are gonna wreck us Nohr players.

Grinding, man.

Going to guess that's why it shows the "we just added up all the stats" power rating or whatever.

That and I'd be shocked if Nohr didn't have grinding in post-game.

Maybe the "lobbies" will be decided by file? Hoshidoes play with Hoshidoes, Nohrs with Nohrs, 3's with 3's, and so on. Maybe even an optional lobby that allows for crossovers? Could add a lot of depth that way.

Maybe the "lobbies" will be decided by file? Hoshidoes play with Hoshidoes, Nohrs with Nohrs, 3's with 3's, and so on. Maybe even an optional lobby that allows for crossovers? Could add a lot of depth that way.

That would be interesting, but I kind of doubt it works that way. Online battles are available even before choosing a side, and I was pitted against both Nohr and Hoshido players when I tried it.

This is great news! But what are those Eternal proofs you talked about Toast?(Couldn't keep up with the hype thread)

I haven't kept up with it either, mainly to avoid spoilers, but apparently...

...it's a (rather expensive) item that increases the level cap of a promoted unit by 5. In the absence of second seals, this item will presumably be necessary if you want your units to cap their stats. I haven't been able to try this myself yet, so you should probably take all of this with a grain of salt, but I assume this means that 'limited' style online battles will revert all units over level 20 to the stats they had at level 20. And since getting 5 units to 20/20 shouldn't be particularly difficult even without grinding, that should resolve a large portion of the balance issues between Hoshido and Nohr players.

Online battles, sign me up. I liked them in FE12 and they'll be even better here.

And icy toast, you can have my friend code. My team is still pretty low level at the moment, but we can battles sometime. It's 0361-9662-7803.

I haven't kept up with it either, mainly to avoid spoilers, but apparently...

...it's a (rather expensive) item that increases the level cap of a promoted unit by 5. In the absence of second seals, this item will presumably be necessary if you want your units to cap their stats. I haven't been able to try this myself yet, so you should probably take all of this with a grain of salt, but I assume this means that 'limited' style online battles will revert all units over level 20 to the stats they had at level 20. And since getting 5 units to 20/20 shouldn't be particularly difficult even without grinding, that should resolve a large portion of the balance issues between Hoshido and Nohr players.

Thanks pal. Looks like this item, while still useful, won't break the game like Awakening's second seal. Great news in my book.