Rickochet

I was wondering if anyone knew how many event triggers there are in FE7 ROM? I read not to use 0x01 - 0x04, and 0x65 as the game hardwired them into certain things.

Do they go all the way to 0xFF?

What I mean is, events such as villager visiting or character talk events have an event ID associated with them in order for it to run in the game, and I noticed that death triggers, unspecified and specified conversations deal with generally the same numbers. Are they all drawing from the same pool of trigger IDs?

For example, say I have 2 bosses in one chapter and they use trigger ID 0x11 and 0x12 respectively for their specficied conversations. Does this mean that I can no longer use ID 0x11 and 0x12 or is it only for that one chapter? I also noticed that trigger IDs that only activate once per chapter is still usable the next chapter (ex. 0x02 for boss death quotes).

Is boss death quote trigger ID only attached to 0x02 or can any other number work? (ex: 0x05 or 0x06) And say for example 0x05 did work, would I still be able to use the trigger ID 0x05 for say a character talk event in another chapter?

Sorry if its confusing, did my best to explain what I'm having problems with.

Edited by Ghatsu!

there are 255 (0xFF) trigger IDs in the game

some (0x65 = game over and 0x3 = chapter complete, for example) are used by the game for certain things. past a certain point (i've always assumed it's anything above 0x66) they begin staying permanent between chapters, everything below that resets on MNCH

some useful IDs for you:

0x0 - always off

0x1 - typically boss quote

0x2 - typically boss death

0x3 - usually used for seize; jumps directly to ending event on trigger

0x4 - toggles background music (this is the "______ phase music 2" in chapter data editor)

0x64 - not sure but i vaguely remember that using it did bad things

0x65 - game over (lord death)

So does this mean I can also use the death trigger ID, 0x65, to cause a game over to happen once the turn count reached a certain number?

Would this involve using AFEV or ASM? I'm not too sure on these two but to my knowledge after reading on them, AFEV can trigger a ASM?

How would I cause the game to give the player a game over once the turn count reached a certain number?

So does this mean I can also use the death trigger ID, 0x65, to cause a game over to happen once the turn count reached a certain number?

there is a GameOver macro (as outlined in EA Macro and Command list) that works for this purpose

Would this involve using AFEV or ASM? I'm not too sure on these two but to my knowledge after reading on them, AFEV can trigger a ASM?

i don't think those words mean what you think they mean

AFEV is an event trigger. It causes things to happen when certain conditions are met, in this case after a given trigger ID is set off.

ASM (assembly) is machine code, the stuff that drives the game. When someone says they're "doing asm", "triggering asm", that could mean a zillion things (for example, my battle theme hacks are ASM. Nintenlord's Str->AS patch (as well as most of his other patches) is ASM. Some ASM routine that tells the game whether all your units are dead is ASM. Some ASM routine to kill all your units is also ASM.

What I assume you meant, is ASMC, which is the scene command to trigger some routine (this, again, can have wildly varying effects that i won't go into).

Suffice to say, you don't need to use ASM to trigger a game over.

How would I cause the game to give the player a game over once the turn count reached a certain number?

TurnBasedEvents:
TurnEventPlayer(0, GG, 10)

// ...

GG:
GameOver
ENDA

This has not been documented in the most recent versions of the eventing tutorials but event IDs between 0x40-0x64 won't be "saved" if the game is suspended/resumed. Therefore, it's more accurate to say that you don't quite have 255 event IDs to play with.