Fire Emblem Fates Weapons/Items Thread

Bovinian

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Few Questions.......Cuz From Wat i have been readin and gathering on the weapons...

-There A Debuff After Almost Every Attack Phase

-Only Certain Weapons Can Double Attack

-Yumi/Bow Cant Counter Attack From 1-1 Range

-I think its a Step Back to have such game mechanics from fire emblem 1-5 As Only Unit with The Skill Continue Or Pursuit /Brave Weapons Could Double Attack... Or if u have 5 speed over a enemy's U automatically Double Attack Can someone verify..Seem like Awakening Left a Bitter taste in most ppls mouth with the guard and Skill Caps...As Soon As they introduce something like class changin in Awakening they take it away cuz butthurt ppls complain too much

Characters can double attack by default; it's just certain weapons and one skill that can prevent it. FE4 is still the only game to use Pursuit.

Debuffs do show up a lot, yeah. The whole hidden weapon type inflicts them on opponents, as do any characters with the "seal" skills, while Silver weapons and equivalents can inflict them on the user.

Bows normally can't counter in melee, like in past games, but a few of them can, even player-available ones. There are more options available to enemies, along with a special enemy-only skill that lets all bows work that way.

Thinking about the magic weapons (generally +2 more might than a Steel, cannot crit, -20 avoid, but in return has no penalty the ability to double, indeed can double at range without necessarily being a bow, tome or shurkien, and doesn't debuff your own attacking stat subsequent and doesn't inflict crit-evade penalties)… what do people think of them?

I'm getting the feeling it might be quite interesting to run a +MAG asset, as well as a flaw that didn't majorly cut magic, to exploit these weapons…..

Hoshido/Invisible gets these options for Lances and Shurkiens.

Nohr/Invisible gets these options for Swords, Axes, and Bows.

+MAG asset means that you have a 50% magic personal growth, so you're on average getting an extra point of magic every other level even if you're in a class with 0% magic growth (like Cavalier or Great Knight) and naturally more if you're in a class that has actual magic growth (White Blood, etc.: 10% magic --> 60% total growth).

For example, in Hoshido, if you have a +MAG Cavalier/Paladin, you're getting something like a 60% Strength growth and a 50% magic growth…. the same magic growth would apply to a Great Knight as well (plus a 65% strength growth)…..

I postulate that you could get quite decent in-game magic damage out of classes not designed to be traditional magic classes in the first place…

Why would you want to do this in such a class?

Well perhaps you want to still have access to your sword, so that you can exploit Yato. And perhaps you like/want the skills of another class more…. for example, Cavalier and its upgrades can offer you +3 damage in open terrain (Open Assault), Rescue, Luna, Diamond Shield, Defender, and Aegis…

Or perhaps you want to be able to run White Blood for staff access, but also want doubling-capable, ranged magic damage, something that your Dragonstone cannot do…. well Levin Sword access in the third route would let you do that, potentially replacing your use of Tomes (which are also in the same corner of the weapon triangle as swords anyways). Then you could even just pick up one weapon-faire (Swordfaire) and have it boost both your primary physical and magical damage, as you'd be using swords (Yato and Levin Sword) for both anyways.

Or maybe you just find the Levin sword penalties preferable to the penalties that the Tome equivalent to Steel/Silver rank weapons have… etc.

What do people think?

Honestly I find the magic in this game kind of underwhelming. I guess after seeing how overpowered Awakening's mages were they felt they needed to nerf it? Hope I'm proved wrong though.

Honestly I find the magic in this game kind of underwhelming. I guess after seeing how overpowered Awakening's mages were they felt they needed to nerf it? Hope I'm proved wrong though.

In general, IS has done its utmost best to try and balance everything so that one class or weapon isn't too powerful or overwhelming. There are now so many ways to counter mages (Zero, Kunai/Shuriken, Pegasus/Golden Kites) that magic is not the end-all be-all that it was.

A comparison side by side:

Levin Sword: C Rank, 11 Might, 80 Hit, CANNOT CRIT, -20 Avoid, 1~2 range, price: 3300, Magic Weapon; triggers Pavise

FImbulvetr: C Rank, 8 Might, 75 Hit, +0 Crit [but can crit], -5 Avoid, 1~2 range, price: 2000, Ability to double attack -3; deals magic damage [as all tomes do]; triggers Aegis

---> Inferior Might and Hit…. retains ability to crit… avoid penalty is 15 less; has trouble double attacking that Levin Sword doesn't

Rainarok: B Rank, 11 Might, 80 Hit, +0 Crit [but can crit], +0 Avoid, 1~2 range, price: 4000; Critical Evade -5; after battle, Magic and Skill -2 (stats recover by 1 each turn); deals magic damage [as all tomes do]; triggers Aegis

--> Equal Might and Hit; retains ability to crit and lacks avoid penalty.. HOWEVER, it comes with a crit evade penalty instead, and each time you fight your skill and magic drop by 2, so it loses its damage and hit parity after one use…

Ginnungagap: A Rank, 15 Might, 65 Hit, +0 Crit [but can crit], +0 Avoid, 1~2 range, price: 8000: After the battle, Magic is halved for the next attack; deals magic damage [as all tomes do]; triggers Aegis

Excallibur: S Rank, 12 Might, 90 hit, +25 crit, -10 Avoid, 1~2 Range, n/a cost, Effective against flying units; Defense and Resistance -5; ability to Double attack +5; enemy ability to double track +5; deals magic damage [as all tomes do]; triggers Aegis; of the units available outside of DLC, only Sorcerers can use this.

---> This has effective damage, better hight and hit, crit bonuses, less avoid penalties, and facilitates doubling… however, it has extremely limited availability among classes (Sorcs only w/o DLC, which means something like Dark Blood cannot use it) and while it doesn't have avoid penalties, it accesses direct (and large) Defense, Resistance, and ability for enemy to double you penalties.

That's how the Levin Sword and some of the higher end tomes stack against each other….

Fimbulvetr and Ragnarok are the equivalent of Steel and Silver weapons so they're probably meant to be phased out when you get access to the rarer weapons. Like, nobody is going to continue using Steel and Silver Swords on their postgame builds. So it makes sense that Levin Sword would be superior to them on hybrid/magic-oriented classes that can use both swords and tomes. This could be the game's way of incentivizing the use of hybrid classes, as opposed to Awakening where they were generally outclassed by Sages and Sorcerers. Basaras and Dark Falcons have it even better because they have partial weapon triangle control with their magic options.

Yeah, magic doesn't seem as useful this time around, which makes me sad. :(

Awakening Sorcerers were the most broken units in the game.

Excalibur would only be useful on a unit that has defensive formation since it prevents a potential enemy double attack.

Or would Excalibur + Swallow Strike help negate that doubling penalty?

Edited by Leif

To my understanding, it wouldn't overcome the doubling penalty, but it would increase your ability to double by 10, so you could double enemies EVEN IF you had a -5 SPD compared to their speed.

Example: A default 29 SPD capped Sorc would double a default 34 SPD capped unit. And it would also be doubled by them.

To my understanding, it wouldn't overcome the doubling penalty, but it would increase your ability to double by 10, so you could double enemies EVEN IF you had a -5 SPD compared to their speed.

Example: A default 29 SPD capped Sorc would double a default 34 SPD capped unit. And it would also be doubled by them.

Yeah, Defensive Formation would be best on an Excalibur unit then. Man, spells do seem nerfed pretty badly. Brunhilde seems to be the only good tome, as well as that Horse God spell.

Magic classes, in all fairness, do have superior growths in magic than other classes (20% Excorcist, 25% Sorcerer, etc.). And many of the units in the game don't have the growths to support both physical and magical offense, so using magic weapons (rather than spells) won't be that practical for them, even if they're in classes that can use the magic weapons of their route…. they'll have a pathetic magic stat….

Yes, there are certain individuals who could conceivably full off both offense types well, but they'd be far between.

The Avatar, with the ability to +MAG to +45% Str and +50% magic, can be made a bit more offensively versatile overall… Saizou actually would be another like that… for some reason he has +50% Str and +45% magic.

Sakura has +50 magic with +30% strength, but 30% strength growth isn't exactly impressive… (its not practically non-existent either, in contrast to 5% or 0% growths, that said).

"After battle, stats reduced"…

Many weapons have this effect, but its not clear by how much.. I cannot tell how detrimental or minor this effect is unless I know how much stats reduce by…

What is the penalty?

So... has there been any answers to these yet? :p

I can answer you first question, and the answer is no. Just DM and Sorceror. As for your second, two of those are random finds that I have never found, so I cannot answer conclusively.

Edited by gayserbeam

I can answer you first question, and the answer is no. Just DM and Sorceror. As for your second, two of those are random finds that I have never found, so I cannot answer conclusively.

Ah, okay thanks a lot! Just to make sure, no Hoshidan mage-classes like Spellcaster and Exorcist can wield Nosferatu right?

"After battle, stats reduced"…

Many weapons have this effect, but its not clear by how much.. I cannot tell how detrimental or minor this effect is unless I know how much stats reduce by…

What is the penalty?

Silver weapons reduce Str and Skl by 2; other equivalent B-rank weapons like Ragnarok and the True Beaststone seem to have the same effect except magic weapons reduce Mag instead of Str. If there are any non-B-rank weapons with that effect they might work differently but I don't know of any.

Items like the Dread Scroll and Dark Falcon Wing say they don't affect level, but that's not quite right: promoted units have their level increased by 20 when switching to a non-promoting class.