How much do you expect names to change in the English localisation?

Espinosa

Something I've been wondering lately. It's especially curious if the Hoshido names are staying to reflect the Japanese setting and aesthetic of the homeland, but they might make adjustments to those too. Hoshido really is sorta unprecedented in FE history, though I could be wrong.

It kind of seems like they've changed more names from the Nohr side which is weird coz their names weren't weird or anything. Well there are a couple names that I have no doubt in my mind will be changed like Pieri and Lazward and possibly Luna as well. As for Hoshido, they either leave the name as it is, add a letter ala Rinkah, remove a letter ala Subaki, or cut the name in half ala Kaze and Hana. In the end I think quite a few names will be changed.

It kind of seems like they've changed more names from the Nohr side which is weird coz their names weren't weird or anything. Well there are a couple names that I have no doubt in my mind will be changed like Pieri and Lazward and possibly Luna as well. As for Hoshido, they either leave the name as it is, add a letter ala Rinkah, remove a letter ala Subaki, or cut the name in half ala Kaze and Hana. In the end I think quite a few names will be changed.

Yeah, not sure why they dropped the T from Tsubaki. As for chopping names in half, kinda hoping they don't keep doing that. It's not like they're running out of character space for the names, nor are the pronunciations particularly difficult. Wouldn't surprise me if they cut other names like Yukimura in half though.

I think the main reason is that, a name like "Hana" is "exotic" enough, much less "Kazahana".

So they choose the less "exotic" one.

Same reason when you compare Subaki and Tsubaki, the T makes quite a difference.

Rinka is the opposite, in that it's not exotic enough, so they spiced it up with an extra letter.

They obviously felt that "Marx" was too silly sounding or what not and decided "He must be named Xander!" although that's silly.

But yes I think that.

Like our other Siblings aside seem to have pretty spot on ish kind of names, so that.

They'll probably "butcher" most of the names in this manner though.

Need to look out for the one name ones. Hinata for example, may survive. May.

The rest, I don't think so, if Hana was changed, I think there's a good chance everyone might get hit.

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

Saizou -> Sai
Kagerou - > Kage
Tsukuyomi -> Suku
Benoit -> Samuel (or some other random name, the reverse Brad->Arran)
Lazward -> Lazlo

Luna -> Artemis (or some other moon goddess, but who knows, just not Luna)

Midoriko -> Mido or Riko
Shinonome -> Shinon
Kisaragi -> Kisa

I expect a lot of this sort of thing to happen.

From what we've seen of the localization at E3, they're changing a lot of the names this time around. I assume that quite a few names will be different, for better or worse. Granted, the only one that's really bothered me so far is Tsubaki -> Subaki, since that just seems like an insult to the intelligence of westerners (I mean, most of us know how "tsunami" is pronounced). Also Leon -> Leo is a little weird, but only because Leo was my grandpa's name so it will be a bit odd to have a younger brother named that.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

I'm expecting Flannel and Velour to change names, only cause Panne (Velvet) and Yarne (Chambray) changed names from Japan to English translation too.

lol all types of fabric

Everything would have been just peachy if they left the Hoshido names alone, but no. *sigh...*

Of course, I prefer the original names, but I've been able to get over most of them. Except for Tsubaki. "Subaki"... ugh. I just hope that no other name gets a treatment that bad. I'm bracing myself for the worst.

I don't think Benoit's name will change. I have seen people with that exact name as a surname.

I hope Zero's name changes honestly. I don't want to keep thinking about that line from Disney's Hercules "zero to hero!!"

Perhaps Zorro? Or they could pull a "Harold -> Arthur" and name him Bill, God forbid.

Edited by Leif

They changed Marx to Xander, I wouldn't put anything past them at this point.

In this one instance, I think there is a legitimate excuse for that change. "Marx" is spoken with two consonants in Japan, which creates lip syncing issues in cutscenes. Xander, while silly, matches the lip flapping.

Edited by Nakaion

I'm just hoping they don't change Midoriko's name as it actually works for her.

Yeah, but the meaning will be completely lost to anyone who doesn't know any Japanese. Pronunciation-wise, Midoriko (and most of the four-syllable Hoshidan names tbh, including Kazahana -.-) is not any harder to pronounce than Nidorino or Hariyama, so there isn't any need to change these names. But who knows what kind of shit the localization team will pull.

As long as they don't change Benoit's name to 'Benwa' I will be fine.

they'll probably change it to Fred or something completely different.

NOA's localization team is usually good but I never understood why they'd change perfectly legit English names. That's practically taking a big dump on the game's original writers.

Lutz -> Felix? They both resemble the word luck so (and felix means luck)...

I would be okay with this, actually.

My guess for Saizou is Saizo, based on Ryouma to Ryoma.

And with Aqua -> Azura, Ashura/Asyura is sure to change.