Title says it all: I’m going to play FE1.

Read the tale in this thread.

I'll mostly be playing this for fun! Because I love FE1.

However, I will also be exploring the game to get more yet unknown info on FE1 up on SF (if VincentASM ever gets around to doing that).

This means I’ll be testing things like death quotes and – luck.

I will include this exploring in spoilers. That way, people who are interested in that stuff can look at it and people who only want to see the gameplay can ignore it.

This is my first LP ever, so I still need to get the hang of things. Constructive criticism is always welcome, of course. If I include either too many or too few screenshots, please tell me.

I'm a bit busy as of now, so chapter 1 will be up this weekend.

In the meantime discuss this dilemma for me: should I use the official names or the names from the translation patch?

On the one hand, using official names could make this easier to follow for people who are already familiar with (say) FE11, but not with the fan translations of FE1.

On the other hand, this means the names in my screenshots will differ from the names I use, which could be confusing.

Anyway, for clarity's sake, here is a link to the name chart.

Now that that is out of the way, let’s start.

I’m not going to screenshot the entire intro for you.

If you’re desperate to watch it, you can find it on a magical place called the Internet. Like here.

The story so far:

At first, there are Falchion sword, Dark Dragon (Shadow Dragon) and Fire Emblem. Seriously, that’s all the ancient history we know.

Recent history: our main character is Marth, the Prince of Aritia (Altea), who was dethroned by Durhua (Doluna/Dolhr) (bad guy alert!). Durhua is also the guy who sends generals.

This is where I begin.

FrN99ou.png

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Edited by Divus Hattusili

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be using the fan translation names. Usually there's not much difference between them and the official names, but I want to avoid confusing cases like Saji/Maji vs. Bord/Cord.

Ah well, I'll add the official name in brackets the first time a name appears, and there's always the name chart in the OP for reference.

One request: Please don't let Julian die, get it?!

Oh yeah, I have to keep everyone alive for the purpose of exploring the game, so no one will die outside of alternate timelines where I kill off people to find out their death quotes (or similar events).

[spoiler=Chapter 1]kdiLWy8.png
Our first map. Finding the right way to get this whole image right was a tiresome activity.

[spoiler=Enemy Data]1 thief, level 1, iron sword.

11 pirates, level 1, axe.

1 hunter, level 1, bow.

One character: Gazack (stats and inventory given below).

SfXLx35.png
Some old guy opens the conversation. Here we meet Princess Sheeda (Shiida/Caeda) of Talis (Talys).

'Marth's Quest' is called 'Marth Embarks' in the official translation.
What’s wrong,
tiUEhW9.png
Here we meet our hero. No, he’s a lord.
The crappy thing about this translation is that not all of the text fits in the text box all the time. So any text that gets cut off will be added by me in italics.
7TSEHiM.png
Sheeda 3cute5me
mJSBImd.png
Garda (Galder) – that’s a bad guy alert.
sEY8oxW.pngDVEvZOf.png
I’m guessing he’s the King of Talis.
ZPERclQ.png
this fortress.
zk0iLOI.png
Castle!
Damn, this is getting tiresome already.

TO3Petl.png
We begin. Yes, for whatever reason the cursor starts on Abel and not on Marth.
First, let’s take a look at our characters!
il5u2pb.png
7 is a holy number.
Marth only has a rapier, by the way.
1QuRzkn.png
So apparently the old guy from the beginning of the chapter is Jeigan (Jagen). He has an iron sword and a silver lance.
ZfBLeKw.png
This is Kain (Cain). He has a lance and an iron sword.
Yes, technically iron lances don’t exist in this game. They’re simply called ‘lance.’ The translation patch insists on calling them ‘iron lance’ though. The same goes for axes and bows.

'S knight' stands for 'social knight.' They're called cavaliers in the official translation.
76jmH3G.png
Abel. Iron sword and javelin.
HwYbbcC.png
Doga (Draug). Iron sword and lance. 'A knight' stands for 'armor knight', called 'knight' in the official translation. Yes, armor knights can use swords in this game.
MwSsn94.png
Glac, pay close attention! This is our boy Gordon (Gordin). He has a bowgun and a steel bow. Why the bowgun was cut from both FE3 and FE11 beats me.
ODUQeae.png
Sheeda, Princess of Talis, looks much cuter in FE1 than in FE11. #truefacts
She has an iron sword and as a pegasus knight she can use that.
And unlike what SF tells you, she actually starts lowest on your unit list, not second.
CF9RWX7.png
Get your shit together, SF! Please don’t hate me, Vincent.
CeOHPQ7.png
This handsome guy is Gazack (Gazzak). He’s the boss for this chapter. Steel axe. He actually starts two tiles above the castle.

Now, we are off!

[spoiler=First, let's test some death quotes.]rAzinQ3.png
Marth doesn’t get a death quote.
Instead, this happens:
Sire!
QqqlYa3.png
Hey, look, you do meet Morodof (Malledus) in chapter 1! If you suck at the game, that is.
I assume ‘da’ is supposed to be ‘data’.
So when Marth dies and there is no save data, Malledus comes up and says:
“Sire!
There’s no save data. You must start from the beginning!”
This implies that game over will be different in later chapters, when we do have save data.
L4U4NCz.png
Jeigan’s death quote: “The rest is up to you.”
Wow, a unique death quote.
iY2BWsS.png
Kain’s death quote: “Please stay safe.”
I remember from my first playthrough that we’ll be seeing this death quote more often.
th6yoEs.png
Abel’s death quote: “Please stay safe.”
See?
FoST1jF.png
Doga’s death quote: “N-no…”
I changed the spelling of his death quote because that comma looks fuglier than your mom.
HIR60zf.png
FE1 thinks Gordon doesn’t deserve a death quote. I’m sorry, Glac.
cW35ERb.png
Sheeda’s death quote: “Marth…”
Ships in this game are made pretty obvious by characters’ death quotes. In fact, sometimes death quotes are the only hint at ships.

[spoiler=Level-up patterns.]A little known fact is the existence of level-up patterns.
In most FE games, level-ups are very straightforward. When a character levels up, the RNG produces random numbers for each stat to determine whether the character gains that stat in that level-up. The NES wasn't a very powerful computer though, so its RNG couldn't roll out RNs in quick enough succession for a level-up without them turning into not-so-random numbers. So what FE1 does is produce an RN for HP, then use a formula to determine numbers for the other stats. Details are on this page.
I'll be testing to see if the results I get in my playthrough match this formula.

You can view our characters' level-up patterns here (will be updated as the LP progresses).

My plan was to have Jeigan weaken the thief so Sheeda could finish him off, but Jeigan had different plans.
LdrNZvD.png
Armory!
tK5Z8lD.png
Okay, I want… an iron sword for Marth, a bow for Gordon and a lance and a javelin for Sheeda.
Kain visits the first house.
XezVx5l.pngREUCCcd.png
Gordon buys himself a bow, then Marth visits the village.

TL0MLmM.png
“Please use commas in thousands to make numbers legible.”
y5yfesJ.png
Sheeda visits the second house.
cH7NGd7.pngAy8WufR.png
Abel visits the third house.
zxRNGco.png

He is called Wrys in the official translation.
We end the turn with Doga ready to take an axe hit to the face.
9dVp0Wv.png
Apparently he’s good at it.

There's some scripted AI on the first enemy phase: Gazack moves onto the castle, the pirate left of the castle occupies the tile left of the castle, the pirate right of the castle occupies the tile right of the castle, the pirate below the castle occupies the tile below the castle. The pirate near the houses in the west occupies the village. All other enemies come marching towards us.

pJbxFbT.png
Turn 2 start.
JhJINRB.png
I took the guess that Kain would be able to double the lower of the three pirates with his lance. I guessed wrong.
P51YZds.png
Abel finishes the job for him.
Sheeda finishes off the pirate Doga had already almost killed. Doga takes the fort. Jeigan and Gordon try to catch up with the others while Marth stops at the armory to buy himself an iron sword and surprise his Valentine with a lance and a javelin.

Player phase end.
bXJXqda.png
“Hey guys, let’s attack the knight on the fort!” “Yeah, great idea!”

VmfhrE4.png
Turn 4 start. Moved the screen a bit to the left so you can actually see the enemies.
Sew1yKC.png
I once again underestimate my characters’ doubling abilities.
EMfkyXd.png
Oh, that speed explains it. Oops, should have paid more attention.
Gordon tests out his new bow on the pirate Doga left for dead. He misses both times. <_>
Abel and Kain use the power of teamwork to kill the lower pirate.
Sheeda takes the fort to kill the pirate Gordon performed a derp on.
That leaves the hunter to Jeigan.
Marth equips his iron sword and starts catching up on the rest of his army.

k8pig7B.png
Start of turn 5.
Jeigan moves to the lower fort to lure out the pirate guarding the village. Kain and Abel are right behind him.
Sheeda and Gordon take a few steps back to let Doga take axe hits on the fort. Marth surprises his love with the gifts he bought her. I’m actually surprised this game allows you to give more than one item at a time to another character (yes, trading does not exist in this game; you can only give items).
hgu85hl.png
The plan worked.
He68xrk.png
Wanna fuck with the boss? Don’t fuck with the boss.
The other two pirates go for Doga. He misses one out of four hits and dodges one out of two hits.

9UNbwZE.png
Start of turn 6.
[spoiler=When you suspend the game.]I have to go eat dinner now, so I’ll let Anna wish me goodbye.
Please hold
e7EIpFx.png

Gordon moves into the forest to finish the bottom pirate. The fucker MISSES AGAIN, but fortunately only the first of his two hits, so literally anyone should be able to kill this pirate now.
Sheeda takes care of the middle pirate.
Imitating Gordon, Draug misses one of his shots at the top pirate. At least he has an excuse, since this pirate was on the sea.
6Gtstfc.png
Marth finishes the scraps Gordon left behind with fantastic (but completely unnecessary) flare.
Jeigan takes position on a defensive mountain to lure out some pirates, so Kain can move onto the fort to finish the pirate Jeigan lured out last time (and get healed at the beginning of the next turn).
Meanwhile Abel visits the first of the two houses.
6QN2ufg.png
XOBLxAA.png
So Gazack isn’t the leader of the pirates, there’s big boss Gomes (Gomer) waiting for us back in Garda.
Thus our turn ends.
WHajcCg.png
Just look at that pathetic hit rate.
xq8zJ4X.png
Jeigan gives 0 fucks and gains 1 stat. He has a 9.8% chance of getting this level-up pattern.
The other pirate turns into a pussy and runs away.

64M7tBh.png
New turn.
Marth gets himself the pussy.
Then suddenly near-victory music starts playing. So Marth getting pussy was a good thing.
ZD3sj3X.png
Our western situation. Kain takes care of the pirate left of Jagen. For the other pirate Sheeda gets to test her Valentine’s gift: the javelin. That leaves only one pirate. Jeigan weakens him and Abel…
6qS6HzP.png
Oh yeah, it was strength Jeigan got in his level-up. Oops. So Abel goes to the fort to heal instead. Doga and Gordon start catching up with the others.

4gWEMeb.png
New turn.
Kain visits the second house.
Uo5T02s.png
Besides that, nothing noteworthy happens. Everyone just moves into position for killing Gazack.

B2cdMWY.png
New turn.

CZi3RZS.png
Another new turn.
Gordon wants to take some cheap shots at the boss, but he MISSES FUCKING AGAIN.
Kain and Abel show off their swordplay, but when Sheeda goes in with her lance for the kill, she misses both times. Then I’ll have to give the kill to Jeigan. :/
oRob6nX.png
His death quote is almost as beautiful as his portrait.
QT4Uu63.png
Note this one down for item locations, VASM.
Marth heads for the village and Doga takes a rest.

cxCed9D.png
Village time.
XOBgFDb.pngLeWGHbQ.png
HELL YEAH
THE MOMENT I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR
THE HUMBLE CURATE
WRYS
LET THE BALDNESS FLOW THROUGH YOU

He sucks balls though, so I’m going to drop him as soon as I get the chance.
YMK9NMo.png
Some people heal up at fort/castle and Jeigan gives the vulnerary to Sheeda.

fUgtHkp.png
Almost there.
ed35Y0l.png
Seize it!

GXtLpKZ.pngItYn4VC.png
Where is this ‘so’ coming from? I’ve never heard of Orleans (Aurelis).
lE4eYmz.pngzHl6LLV.png
The last word is 'Durhua'. He’s our bad guy from the intro.
MMXMMH9.pngzxI2fTY.pngBvkBerH.png
There’s a comma missing here. Prince Marth is not a time.
yARZqlq.png
Thanks, man.
ffOTte9.png
No, I need that thing for living.
CGgHTed.png
Hell yeah.
The game asks me if I want to save my game, I click 'Yes' and Anna appears.
6kPN3ME.png
Excellent. On to chapter 2. Let’s go to Orleans!

Thankfully the original doesn't have a prolog, because otherwise I'd have sacrificed him already. He's outclassed stat- and growthwise in both remake parts.

@ Hattu

She knows about my disgust against him already.

@ Silverhairedfreak25

It's the very first FE game, so what do you expect?

This LP looks pretty good so far. Keep it up!

Edited by Mister CatTeaDawn

Thankfully the original doesn't have a prolog, because otherwise I'd have sacrificed him already.

Whoa Jules, stop making Glac cry.

To make this post somewhat relevant: chapter 2 is technically finished, but I need to record some death quotes, - luck, enemy data and I'll be taking you all on an adventure to the sound test. So the next update will be coming soon, Tuesday at the latest.

[spoiler=Chapter 2, part 1]lXAcXpj.png
I’m continuing my professional splicing images together to show you our second map.
CnMbSIr.png
Ah yes, the King of Talis told me about you.

By the way, 'Garda Pirates' is called 'The Pirates of Galder' in the official translation and 'Oguma' is called 'Ogma' in the official translation.
QCVMWMx.pngcfFB6qa.pngOlDBn3E.png
w0oZXpB.png
Turn 1 begins. Why the cursor is over there…
Let’s look at our characters!

RxkqYyD.png

Once again, the order in the unit list is different from the order on SF.
KJ1YY20.png
Hammer time!

'Saji' is 'Bord' in the official translation.
qp4jgsU.png
My expectation is that Saji won’t see much action.

x48iyUp.png
At first sight Maji (Cord) looks better than Saji. He only has an axe though, how dull.

qqlTDoL.png
Muscular man! Steel axe and hand axe. Now that’s the good stuff. Spoiler alert: not really though, since steel axes and especially hand axes are woefully inaccurate.

'Barts' is 'Barst' in the official translation.

PlZe24m.png
The captain has only a boring iron sword. Nice stats though.
Let’s scout the map for more characters.
K8Z6nD7.png

Character.
Daros (Darros) will be our first encounter with the elusive – luck (explained below).
WhLOuqC.png

More character. 'Kashim' is 'Castor' in the official translation. He only has a bow.
vyj1LSm.png
Oh shit, it's the boss. He’s just as handsome as Gazack.
The social knights aren’t from Garda, they’re from Grunia (Grust), whatever the hell that may be.

Enemy data:

- 2 thieves, level 1, iron sword;

- 2 hunters, level 1, bow;

- 8 pirates, level 1, axe;

- 2 social knights, level 1, lance.

Now let’s start kicking some pirate ass.
Saji gets the first attack.
Maxa3ay.png
Damn, the axe is heavier than I had expected. Saji has higher speed, but still can’t double.
Now it's time for Gordon to redeem himself.
bHSdfhf.png
zWr6pdO.png?1
Kain goes in for the kill.
GocyEOq.pngHCcJWao.png
Doin’ it well, Kain. Something must have gone wrong in calculating Kain's level-up patterns, because I can't find this pattern in my calculations. :/

Edit: Oh derp, it was there all the time, I just overlooked it. 5.9% chance.
nz2YXAn.png
He’s got 9 speed and a steel axe, the pirate has 6 speed and an axe. Here’s to hoping he doubles.
EvdlL7I.png
Alas.
BEXE0eP.png
Oguma finishes the job.
Abel goes for the thief on the right.
MPTGSRT.png
Dodging the first counterattack, taking 1 damage from the other. Good job, Abel.
Thanks to my formation, the hunter won’t be able to attack Sheeda as she goes in to finish Saji’s leftover. She strikes him, dodges his counterattack and finishes him off.
HbgOYU6.png
Very nice, but completely unnecessary.
sayTAA4.png
Oh yeah!
HM8Lll6.png

gained 1 HP!
Very nice. But it’s strength you need. She has a 2.0% chance of getting this level-up pattern.
Riff visits the nearby house.
QStIOKh.pngyb3cI9W.png
Marth should talk to Daros.
Jeigan goes for the house on the other island.
EBRhQhc.png
New objective: get an axe into Riff’s face.
Turn ends.
xklqMaw.png

You think you’re smart, fucker? I’ll get you yet.
FkwcCv7.png
Another smart guy, huh? I’ll get my revenge… You shall pay for that 3 damage.
K7aPYo9.png
The goons advance. Gomes has occupied the castle.

Z2KA2H5.png
Turn 2 start.
Oguma attacks the hunter, so Gordon can take position to attack the Thief.
rcogvAo.png
:/
Sheeda finishes off the hunter.
E1WuH6e.pngFimiWIU.png
usAjpti.pngHWz4wlS.png
://
bTgw6Ke.pngThluaNR.png
That’s the good stuff, Doga.
0jk3gfF.png
That’s not the good stuff, Doga. He has a 4.3% of getting this level-up pattern.
IBEOaux.png
Help me, Abel-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.
DY1OrC8.png
That doesn't look good.
As expected, the pirate dodges twice.
Let’s take out that thief then.
Vy3JXqy.pngav4lu3N.png
\o/
Player phase end. Daros recruits himself.
45ci2Pd.png
join you.
The goons advance and the weakened pirate takes up position on the fort.

ATtL7gw.png
Now it’s my turn.

[spoiler=Let's test - luck.]All enemies in this game have 0 luck. That includes recruitable characters. When such a character is recruited, they receive random base luck. This phenomenon is known as - luck. But just how random is this base luck? What formula does the game use? Does it differ from character to character or is the formula the same for all characters? Unfortunately I suck at programming and hacking and all that stuff, so I can't go look in the game's code to find out. I can, however, take some samples. I'll be recruiting each character with - luck 25 times and noting down the results. I could include snapshots (as proof), but for the reader's convenience I'm only listing the results.
So let's test - luck with Daros. Twenty-five tries. Here are the results.

Format is as follows:

- luck: frequency.

1 luck: 3 times.
3 luck: 5 times.
5 luck: 7 times.
7 luck: 10 times.
Interestingly enough, in 25 tries we only got 1 luck, 3 luck, 5 luck and 7 luck, where the rule of thumb seems to be: the higher the value, the bigger the frequency.
To compare, in Mangs’ FE1 LP he gets a Daros with 7 base luck, which seems to agree with the results here. In DKII's LP he gets 6 luck though. :/

Sheeda kills the pirate. Kain goes to the fort to lure out a pirate and cavalier and get healed. The others form up around him (except for Gordon, who occupies the northern fort for healing purposes). Riff heals Barts, and Saji gives Barts his axe. This thing should make Barts’s attacks a little more accurate. Saji can use his hammer in the meantime.
Enemy phase now.
VtS34Hs.pngntyNMAj.png9TDSetT.png
Kain, no!
MD6otTh.png
Now the social knight won’t be able to attack you. You ruined my plan, you dirty ginger.

SbIUNhg.png
The Doga machine is here.
rFciYVU.png
Can’t go wrong.
y7LbbuX.png
What did I say?
S6bfAu8.pngUXhEUit.png1kWDrAp.pngib0M8z6.pngboWYg65.png
That’s how it’s done.
6KdpPAi.png
Kain gets a second chance. Don’t screw it up this time, Kain.
srkx2JA.png
GRAAAAREGEGEFEFAEFAEWFHEVFNEINEONVEOVNED
Go sit in a corner and think about what you did.
LtdBQOn.png
Fortunately Marth is Jesus.
riTNqx3.png
Yeeeeeeeeeesssssss
OJ2oxXz.png
Pirate power. I don’t think he’ll double.
NoHUafJ.pngNwokTzc.png
You win some, you lose some.
0J10JIb.png
Saji finishes the job, but takes a little too much damage.
BbzAStl.pngDVKHx3I.png32k2BX3.png
Oguma is good at dodging.
uk0j0WE.png
Abel takes down the pirate and Jeigan takes a few shots at the social knight.
Player phase end.
The social knight attacks... not Sheeda? Hmm, well then… You can do it, Daros!
Bslbt8d.png
That looks dangerous.
bWX9KVJ.png
Pirate power!

[spoiler=Chapter 2, part 2]GWI6EYm.png

Turn 5 start.
All that’s left now is the hunters and the boss. Let’s take ’em down.
Let’s see if we can lure them out without putting one of our own in their attack range. I also wonder if Sheeda’s weapon level is high enough for the silver lance yet. Her iron sword is near useless because of her low strength, so she’ll be giving that to someone (doesn’t really matter who) so she can get Jeigan’s silver lance.
Sheeda gave her iron sword to Marth, Jeigan gave his silver lance to Sheeda and…
It worked! No one really needs an iron sword right now, so it’s sticking with Marth for a while until he reaches the storage.
End player phase.

0bhM1eq.png
The bastards didn’t fall for it. Charging them isn’t a bright idea, unless I want to lose Sheeda… Let’s get Doga in here.

LO3oPKV.png
New turn. The hunters moved. Apparently Marth is a lot more interesting than Oguma or something? Interesting enough to march to your own death, it seems…
riIJHzE.png
First things first.
i4GKk6a.pngalrodhN.pngwM4viJA.pngj1DpUmg.png
You’re a princess, “some money” is probably an understatement.
4lwaUpc.pngMVC6KAP.pngcMUnmre.png
Kashim get. He’s got nothing but a boring bow on him though.
[spoiler=Alternate timeline.]If Kashim had attacked us, he would have said this prior to combat:

MWmsIGg.png

[spoiler=- luck shenanigans]0 luck: 4 times.

1 luck: 2 times.

2 luck: 3 times.

3 luck: 2 times.

4 luck: 4 times.

5 luck: 4 times.

6 luck: 5 times.

7 luck: 1 time.

Kashim seems to get more diverse and lower results than Daros. To compare, he got 6 luck in DKII's LP.

q2bXxwD.png
Got him.
MPvOtBr.png
Armory!
Let’s see here… Barts wants a hammer, Saji and Daros want an axe, Maji wants a steel axe and a hand axe – if he can use them, otherwise they're going going to Maji (I would give the hand axe to Daros, but I don’t trust it with Daros’s low skill). I have no use for an iron sword or bow.
Barts buys a hammer. Jeigan visits the house.
9ZVacgr.png
'A Knights' being 'armour knights.' Good to know.

kaHXoj5.png
New turn start.
Village time.
pvIaxYW.pngvQlVQOP.pngESthdYl.pngwN2UCp8.png
Will do, mustache man.
u0gXiXx.png
How adorbs.

'Rena' is called 'Lena' in the official translation, by the way.
YDe6T3g.png
Perfect. The second axe is going to his friend.
kLvilIq.png
Oops, wasn’t very careful with where I moved. Luckily the hand axe is inaccurate garbage.

Q5hSSAv.png
New turn.
Let’s take this asshole down then.
8IVuTUh.png
Bow is too weak, steel bow too inaccurate. Bowgun for life.
j8ALxr4.png
Hmm… He’s got a shot? Make Glac proud, Gordin.
d3HnZKK.png
YEAH!
FYc8FWG.png
MORE YEAH!
289qccD.png
Less yeah, but still YEAH!

Funnily enough, I remember playing FE3 once where Gordon critted Gomer to death. That was fun…
hfp5T5M.png
Go get him, Barts.
phyTpj9.png
Hell yeah.
N0sRWZf.png
Hell yeah.
cVOJUz8.png
Awesomeness.
I declare Gordon and Barts heroes of the day.
Gordon.png
Wear that smug smile with pride, Gordon. You’ve deserved it.
Uc3xHga.png
Nice death quote you got there, Gomes.
gKMXrZ5.png
Note this down, Vincent.
jzaZmbE.png
Barts' inventory is full, so this menu pops up immediately. Let’s store it then.
Maji gives Saji an axe, Daros buys himself an axe, Oguma heads for the storage to get himself the steel sword, Marth heads for the storage to store his spare iron sword.

6Ed5Wk3.png
Turn start. Let’s store the iron sword first, so Oguma can get his steel sword out while Marth is already moving towards the castle to seize it.
adudLIu.png
Excuse me?! 10 gold?! Do you have any idea how greedy I am?! No, thank you, sir! Marth is keeping his spare iron sword.
Fortunately retrieving items from storages is free, so Oguma gets his steel sword.

IjtIPKf.png
Turn 11, aka turn final.
aAaZWA0.pngFHewRcm.pngmXx5IL5.png
That’s the place that completely non-identical looking villager told me about. Great, then let’s go rescue Rena too.
1dwSfQu.png
A full stop was lost in the making of this snapshot. Let’s all take a minute to mourn its passing.
iRusmgm.pngoFYsUzV.png

'Navarre' is 'Nabarl'/'Navarre' in official translation.
PMu9k5Q.png
Oh yeah.

[spoiler=Let's test some death quotes.]So what happens after Marth dies now that we have save data?

m6aRshz.pngtjg6X3t.png

This, apparently. So what happens when Marth dies if Sheeda is dead?

wM4G9kT.pngkD5hVZH.png

The translation patch missed the last part, but I'll assume it's: "Restart from the last save?"

So what happens when Marth dies if Sheeda and Jeigan are dead?

7UugGgW.pngop5xa51.png

The King of Talis comes and says something that was lost in the translation patch. The second part is probably "Restart from the last save?" again, but I have no idea about the first part.

chZQC5w.pngdGXn9Vw.pngNdI1MRH.pngZFDG5S8.png

Riff, Saji, Maji and Barts don't have death quotes.

vwWp9uD.png

Oguma's death quote: "Sheeda, stay safe..."

NBJvWrI.pngzthv7i6.pngUYtf7qv.pngIhbyIIo.png

Daros and Kashim also don't have death quotes (it doesn't matter if you kill them as an enemy or have them die as one of your characters).

Unfortunately I screwed some stuff with save states up, so sound test will have to wait until the next chapter.

I still have to get used to the fact that there is an image limit per post, haha.

Glac, calm down.

[spoiler=Chapter 3, part 1]JRCcVuy.png

The splicing is getting more difficult with this larger map, but it turned out quite nicely.
X5nVWuP.png
Hello handsome. Oh, and Rena.
Q8IoBl8.png
You have heard well.
tNdl0Gk.pngmVJjmD4.png

'Relieve' is 'Mend,' for those not in the know.

YHgJSCL.pngVpE4VNa.pngrDte8Vt.png
“I betrayed my comrades to free you.” “Please, don’t let me be free.”
yhZiX2W.pngSSRUUm6.pnghIKUfvO.pngc2FnS1c.png
This guy.

4pWXbGw.png
Turn 1 start.
Let’s look at characters.
8AHVFZv.pngy7Stmfm.png
That speed. That weapon level.
S51eAFd.pngyo9xBXY.png
She doesn’t seem too bad…
BKEyGw1.png
It’s Navarre! The villagers in Garda warned me about this guy.
Zwsf6OU.png
They had a reason to warn me.
ynIHQau.png
For some reason, FE1 likes bosses to start not occupying the castle, then have them move to occupy the castle on the first turn. I’m also glad to see the return of the hand axe, since it’s a piece of shit. Gordon and Barts, will you be my heroes again?
nW98zci.png
Whoa, manly man alert! He's called 'Reynard' in the official translation.
Enemy data:

- 3 hunters, level 1, bow;

- 7 fighters, level 1, axe;

- Navarre;

- 2 thieves, level 1, iron sword;

- Hyman;

- 1 fighter, level 3, steel axe (he's the one next to Hyman).
Alright, let’s go.
Hmm, I wonder if Navarre can be recruited. Maybe an old comrade would be able to persuade him? I’ll just move everyone up there just to be sure. If Julian can’t do it, I can try our hero Marth. If Marth can’t do it, I’ve still got another piece of royalty to try. Maybe a fellow mercenary? Maybe Rena? Plenty of choices.
51iFBiU.png
Julian lures out the thief from his defensive position on the mountain, Rena seeks safety by his side and the others move up to try to figure out who can recruit Navarre – if he can be recruited.
PoYsWbY.png
Hyman takes up position on the castle and his steel axe companion stays by his side. The other fighters advance towards us.
Q9noP8A.png
No, thief, you were supposed to attack Julian. :(

0tbicHC.png
Turn 2 start.
aICq9Wh.png
Hmm, nope.
LJC4GlD.png
Yes! Hmm, that hunter though… I’ll have to position my units so that the hunter won’t be able to attack Sheeda.
4xNarwZ.pngPTiRNx2.png
That’s a reasonable answer when an enemy soldier comes up to you calling you by your name and asking you questions.
jiuglAc.png
Bold request.
NqXwZbC.png
Oh my, things are about to get hot in here…
ygyihFB.png
"That thing is too big to be called a sword."
dt7Xc79.png
“Risk your life.” Apparently he’s even more dangerous in the bedroom than on the battlefield.
37KOOwI.png

Apparently Navarre isn’t a bad guy. Good for us. 5 base luck isn't bad.
Navarre is going to take out the thief, then Julian will go stand in front of the fighter, so blocking the hunter from attacking Sheeda. Julian is too fragile to actually attack the fighter this turn and survive.
SWxzERL.pngmXc4QS0.png
Hmm, now that Navarre has been recruited, I don’t have to divert my full army northward anymore. I’ll move my cavalry there; they’re fast enough to turn right back around afterwards. And I’ll send Riff there for healing purposes. The rest moves west. First destination: village. Second destination: bandit headquarters.
3jadO3T.pnghGCEv7R.png4JFsDZU.png2VUOqtV.png
Excellent.
rUjavwW.pngquUEYwG.png
Looks like a good level-up. Abel has a 10.2% chance of getting this level-up.
Kashim visits the house.
8PPMTMd.png
So mercenaries have high skill. Oguma’s and Navarre’s stats already told me that.
zcNYHdg.png
Apparently this guy is going for a lone charge. Not exactly the best strategy, but okay.
R7gdTR0.png
Wanna fight?
C8pJPt5.png
That’s pretty alright.
6MJVIob.pngTijb3Nq.png
In this LP: pathetic attempts to kill Julian.

vlynAZd.png
New turn.
1RczoMv.pngxfiYhP4.pngLpyIDzf.png
He dodged the first attack, the asshole. Ah well, more exp for Julian.
2Jgcgn7.png6ZS3NmS.png
Nice, though unnecessary.
zIKi7YE.pngpG8x3Ad.png
Don’t pull a Sheeda.
pbe6Fo2.png
Good.
GKybA9Y.pngPayP830.png
Amazing level-up (4.0% chance). Thanks, Kain.
jZDnwHM.pngBQyJZWQ.pngQMZuIy6.png
Alas, no crit. But good nonetheless.
buoTA36.png
Abel goes to get healed. We’ll be surrounding the bandits.
In the south, Barts lures out the lone fighter.

s6F6ZLl.png
Barts missed one, curses.

X1edISI.png

New turn.

1hnTUGq.png

Gordon finishes what Barts started.

Now it's village time.

hVSQeGb.pngEKetZd5.pngs8t9qhc.pngFhpsD0g.png57iUakZ.png
Everyone’s luck is too low for the devil axe. Barts and Maji share the highest luck (5), but Barts’ inventory is already full and I prefer him with the weapons he currently has over a weapon that has a 16% chance of killing him. So I’ll give it to Maji, but I fear his weapon level (3) isn’t high enough.

q8OPU6P.png

Oguma lures out the next fighter. The third fighter doesn't advance towards us like his two comrades; he takes up defensive position on the fort.

Enemy phase now.

uXXtfwX.png3tF6Hw5.pngKBekIro.png

New turn.

VH2dP6m.png

The kill goes to Gordon again.

Kashim visists the lower house.

rwSEyCK.pnguO3mHbV.png

And Saji visits the upper house.

9LCna2q.png

Jhrrfr2.png

Our southern division's formation. Doga is going to lure out the fighter on the fort.

Vov8BgH.png

I'm hoping he'll hit. I'm not counting on it.

Qa9OzwD.png

Enemy phase.

2grCVbr.png

The fighter left his defensive position to die.

DoEMHZN.png

New turn.

ny2uWPM.png

Damn, Maji's weapon level isn't high enough.

94ifmFX.png

Gordon lures out a hunter. I'm not sure if the hunter can move this far though (since there's a fort in between).

jk8yX5D.pngUyG1cLi.png

Good Abel. Sheeda will finish the thief, from a position to lure out the next fighter. This guy’s got a steel axe, so he’s a bit more dangerous.

hDfCx1O.pngOKc4gBO.png

Good Sheeda.

XAmlloW.pngVfg5A3b.png
gained 1 luck!

gained 1 HP!
Nice level-up.

Enemy phase.

suh1uBI.pngUnbY8Z4.png

She managed to get one hit. :/

The hunter didn't come out to attack Gordon, so we'll have to move him a little bit farther west. That is something for the next update. I'll save my - luck and death quote shenanigans for that update too.

I'm reaching the image limit already. I'll try to cut down on the number of images in the future.

You're not even looking up the weapon stats? I admire your dedication. Playing this game makes you realise all of the modern UI conveniences you take for granted.

iirc the enemy prioritises attacking Marth above everyone else, so that may be why the hunters only moved when Marth was nearby.

Glac cannot calm down.

You're not even looking up the weapon stats? I admire your dedication. Playing this game makes you realise all of the modern UI conveniences you take for granted.

iirc the enemy prioritises attacking Marth above everyone else, so that may be why the hunters only moved when Marth was nearby.

Yep, I'm going for the true FE1 experience. Going into combat is more of a guess this way, but you learn some weapon stats pretty quickly if you pay attention.

Yeah, the Marth prioritization can get pretty crazy. I remember an instance from my last playthrough where two horsemen decided to team up to attack Marth for no damage rather than teaming up to kill Kashim.

[spoiler=Chapter 3, part 2]In the last update Sheeda took a steel axe to the face. In this update, she gets healed.

mwmRFJ5.pngQByk5th.png

GO BALDNESS

Meanwhile, Kain goes in for the kill.

leItdPp.pngsClS4Vr.pngK5xzsb6.png

And he gets off scot-free.

9RWv3qm.png

Hyman's steel axe friend drops a vulnerary! Note this one down for item locations please.

In the enemy phase, Jeigan lures out the next bandit.

uWr7Tq8.png

vc5hz9v.png

63.3% chance. No, really, he has a 63.3% chance of gaining no stats in a level-up.

In the southern force, Maji gives the devil axe to Daros and Gordon advances to lure out the hunter(s).

o7eDDtX.png

Gordon lures out the hunters. One of them attacks him. Gordon does 6 damage to the hunter and the hunter does 4 damage to him, but the hunter doubles him.

ow7uPCB.png

New turn start.

JTVPzB0.png

Marth attacks the second hunter.

QxxScD8.png

And Gordon finishes him off.

Zi3VNjG.png

gained 1 weapon level!

gained 1 HP!

7.8% chance of getting this level-up, 100% chance of disappointing me.

A9Hjaf5.png

Oguma takes down the other hunter.

The northern force takes up position around the castle.

9csLUjU.png

I forgot to take a screenshot at the beginning of the turn, so have this one instead. Gordon is healing.

Abel attacks Hyman in order to weaken him.

4gOXKM2.png

I'm letting Navarre loose with his kill sword. Either he crits Hyman to death or he weakens him enough to leave the kill to Sheeda.

8mx00AZ.png

Navarre, no. :(

MUMGFUI.png

Navarre, yes. :)

8iMC4ws.png

:newyears:

Xy83jhy.png

Hyman has no death quote.

5vPdrnN.png

But he does have a relieve staff! Another one for item locations.

3SugjBb.png

gained 1 weapon level!

gained 1 HP!

I'm still a bit behind with level-up patterns, so I don't know the exact chance of this pattern happening. :S

Sneaky edit: so apparently the chance is 11.8%.

GtuTLTn.png

Jeigan visits the armory. He buys a hammer for Maji, and a steel axe and a hand axe for Saji.

R9J3wl4.png

New turn.

Jeigan gives Maji the hammer, Navarre gives Rena the relieve and Marth gives Navarre the spare iron sword he had.

ePXdngA.png

Another new turn, forgot to take a screenshot at turn-start though.

Riff gives Rena his live. Then Marth seizes the castle.

yyXkYze.png5QcEMtt.pngDEMw1Ys.pngGWqMUjg.png

Apparently this is one of Marth's servants. Uhh, nice to meet you, I guess.

Now let's go to Orleans!

[spoiler=Sound Test]27zLV4I.png

After the victory conversation, this screen appears. Simply press A to continue.

YZl0YAR.png

You are then asked if you want to save your game. Choose 'yes.'

DxD0bI4.png

Choose 'yes' to save and resume, choose 'no' to save and quit. Choose 'no.'

Please hold the

BnJal36.png

Don't turn the power off! Instead, insert the following button combination: up, down, left, right, up, A.

N00JSy0.png

This is the sound test. The controls are pretty straightforward. Press A to play the sound and press B to stop playing it. Use up and down to browse through the different sounds. You can play either a music track or a sound effect or both at the same time. It is not possible to play multiple sound effects or multiple music tracks at the same time.
You see a few things on screen.
SOUND TEST MODE
This means that you are indeed in the sound test.
SOUND NO x
This is the number of the sound. Press up to go to the next number, press down to go to the previous number. Sound no. ranges from 0 to 80.
IFN x Dx BIT
The sounds are grouped together. IFN indicates the sound group. Each IFN is either a group of sound effects or a group of music tracks. No IFN contains both. The D BIT indicates the particular sound in the IFN group. Each IFN has a range from D0 BIT to D7 BIT.
You enter the sound test at IFN 0 D0 BIT. This is sound no. 0. Sound no. 0 is no sound.
IFN 0 and IFN 1 are sound effects.
IFN 2 is a group of music tracks.
IFN 3 and IFN 4 are sound effects again. Unless my hearing is really bad, sound no. 26 (IFN 3 D2 BIT) and sound no. 32 (IFN 4 D0 BIT) are no sounds.
IFN 5 and IFN 6 are music tracks. I don’t know what sound no. 55 (IFN 6 D7 BIT) is, but if you play it while having music or a sound effect playing, the sound fades away.
IFN 7 and IFN 8 are sound effects. Sound no. 70 (IFN 8 D6 BIT) and sound no. 71 (IFN 8 D7 BIT) are no sounds.
IFN 9 is music tracks.
Here we come to something strange. If you go up from sound no. 79 (IFN 9 D7 BIT), you come to sound no. 0 again. However, if you go down from sound no. 0, you come to sound no. 80 (IFN A D0 BIT). IFN A only has a D0 BIT. Sound no. 80 is no sound.
The sound test contains a few music tracks that aren’t in The Best Vol. 1 (the soundtrack for the NES Fire Emblem games). These are: Treasure Chest, a combined version of Ending (Omnibus) and Ending (Ballad), the full version of Opening Title ~ Demo (for some reason, the intro is cut a little in The Best Vol. 1), a version of Opening Title ~ Demo without intro, the full version of Game Over (The Best Vol. 1 only has the intro, not the loop), two unused tracks and Level-Up.
There is only one track that does appear in The Best Vol. 1 but does not appear in the sound test. That is Ending (Omnibus).
Here's a few random screenshots, so you get a general idea of what it looks like.
tC7PGyG.pngL9CV3cw.pngt1ezRV2.pngLsfvRtw.pngmRbHvJQ.png
I want to see if there is a way out of the sound test once you’re in it. So I press start. Then this happens:
DOIf0yJ.pnglkbfMBB.png8asPuQp.pngBsLGTnL.png
It plays out like a normal battle. Doga attacks, Garda counters, Doga gets exp. Then a new battle ensues.
Here's a few screenshots from the next battles:
4AQdDbl.pngPWSt8Lp.pngSpT9NMf.pngiXfaoNR.pngQ5ZRegy.pngeTduSXj.png
It’s random battles of social knights with swords. They have random names. The terrain bonuses are all numbers that don’t appear in the game, usually 8%, sometimes 13%, 6%, 1%.
So apparently the sound test also functions as a gateway to other test modes. Pressing select in the sound test takes you to the game’s ending. I'll get back to that at the end of the LP, so we can compare the actual ending with this ending test.
I knew about the sound test, but I had no idea these other tests existed. Oh, well.

[spoiler=Navarre and his - luck.]
If you let Navarre attack you, he says this before combat:
hNQVK3n.png
Fun fact: boss battle music plays when you fight him. Since there is no hint that you can even recruit him, it's very easy to mistake him for a non-recruitable boss. I think this was intentional: he is technically a boss; his recruitment is a secret.
I don't know how his AI works. One time he just took up position right next to Rena without attacking her, so I thought: "He is programmed not to attack women." But then in another save, he first killed Julian and then attacked Rena, so I'm not sure. He also attacks Sheeda. "My sword won't harm a woman, except when it will."
Now let's take a look at his base luck. I recruited him 25 times, this was the base luck he got.
0 luck: 5 times.
1 luck: 1 time.
2 luck: 2 times.
3 luck: 2 times.
4 luck: 3 times.
5 luck: 5 times.
6 luck: 5 times.
7 luck: 2 times.
Huh, that's a lot of 0 luck, 5 luck and 6 luck, but also a nice spread across the 0-7 scale.

[spoiler=Death quotes.]
DvxWZKC.pngof6V04o.png
That's Julian's and Rena's death quotes.
0knUxdG.pngRZsUGHX.png
Navarre doesn't get a death quote, whether you kill him as an enemy or let him die as one of your own.
Hyman's death non-quote has already been seen above.

Edited by Hattusili I

Does Navarre give you boss exp. (= more exp.), when you kill him?

PS: I don't even know, if bosses give you more exp. in this game.

There is no difference in exp gain between killing a boss and killing a regular enemy.

Does Navarre give you boss exp. (= more exp.), when you kill him?

PS: I don't even know, if bosses give you more exp. in this game.

You can see the exp an enemy will net you upon defeat in the stats screen below their Res stat (where player units would have their current exp listed). Or you can check the values here, since they're always the same for each unit of the same class. Fixed exp yield is pretty neat and makes exp allocation very straightforward to plan, but it's sadly only a thing in FE1 and FE3.

Thanks!

Kinda missed the exact exp. gain system on the calculation site.

Though I know that each unit gets the same fixed exp. for killing an enemy independent on their level, which makes promoted units like Jeigen pretty broken.

And chip damage = exp., if I'm not wrong.

Thanks!

Kinda missed the exact exp. gain system on the calculation site.

Though I know that each unit gets the same fixed exp. for killing an enemy independent on their level, which makes promoted units like Jeigen pretty broken.

And chip damage = exp., if I'm not wrong.

Since exp calculation isn't up on the site yet, I'll quote what I submitted to VincentASM.

Experience calculation.

Not only playable characters, but also enemy units have Exp.
Enemy units' Exp is treated as a stat (i.e. every unit has a base Exp and an Exp growth).
Enemies' Exp is calculated as follows:
Base Exp = Class base Exp (already listed on the site)
Exp growth = 100 (for all classes)
In other words: to calculate an enemy's Exp, you take their class's base Exp and add 1 for every level above 1.
So if I want to know how much Exp a level 5 archer has, the calculations is as follows: 28 + (5 - 1) = 32.
Additionally, arena opponents' Exp is 1 higher than regular enemies'.
So if my arena opponent is a level 5 archer, his Exp is: 32 + 1 = 33.
This Exp stat is used in calculating how much experience a character gets.
Experience calculations are as follows:
Experience from doing damage = damage dealt to enemy
Maximum experience from doing damage = 20
Experience from doing no damage = 0
Experience from defeating enemy = enemy's Exp
Experience from surviving attack (priest) = enemy's Exp
Edited by Hattusili I

Experience calculation.

Not only playable characters, but also enemy units have Exp.
Enemy units' Exp is treated as a stat (i.e. every unit has a base Exp and an Exp growth).
Enemies' Exp is calculated as follows:
Base Exp = Class base Exp (already listed on the site)
Exp growth = 100 (for all classes)
In other words: to calculate an enemy's Exp, you take their class's base Exp and add 1 for every level above 1.
So if I want to know how much Exp a level 5 archer has, the calculations is as follows: 28 + (5 - 1) = 32.
Additionally, arena opponents' Exp is 1 higher than regular enemies'.
So if my arena opponent is a level 5 archer, his Exp is: 32 + 1 = 33.

Thank you for the very detailed explanation!

I think I understood the most.

Is 28 the exp. base rate? (like 30 in the GBA and (3)DS ones)

Edit: Now I know, what the exp. column means.