Spoiler Free Discussion Thread

I'm planning to go casual for my first playthrough of Hoshido o: For my second playthrough (Hoshido) I might do either lunatic casual or hard classic, then for Nohr I'm hoping to do the same.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll always play Classic, but I wonder what difficulty I want to start on. I'm doing Hoshido first, and debating whether to start on Normal or Hard. I've heard the Normal mode in Fates is tougher than Awakening's, so it'd be good to get my feet wet with it first, but I still don't want it to be a pushover, as I've been playing deftly with this series for many installments.

The theme is of choices is present after all, eh?

You called for casual trash?

Hi yes it me

I'm always gonna run casual since im more here for the story and stuff. Doing normal mode first [especially since im maining nohr OTL] then will probably jump straight to lunatic like i did with fea. And then cry c:

meanwhile aw yis spoilerless thread. ive been spoiled too much for my liking thanks to the hype thread x__x

First playthrough I'm gonna go normal/casual to get a feel for the game, I want to enjoy the story at my own pace...then next time I'll go classic and watch everyone die :D

Quick question, what is this Phoenix mode I keep hearing about? If it brings dead units back (sounds like what it does to me) then what's the point of casual? Unless it redeploys them onto the field, then that's pretty nice.

First playthrough I'm gonna go normal/casual to get a feel for the game, I want to enjoy the story at my own pace...then next time I'll go classic and watch everyone die :D

Quick question, what is this Phoenix mode I keep hearing about? If it brings dead units back (sounds like what it does to me) then what's the point of casual? Unless it redeploys them onto the field, then that's pretty nice.

Phoenix makes it so that you don't lose units during the map itself. Apparently, temporarily losing a unit for a map was still seen as "too intimidating".

Phoenix makes it so that you don't lose units during the map itself. Apparently, temporarily losing a unit for a map was still seen as "too intimidating".

It would be 3spooky5me

In all seriousness though, I wonder if the devs created Phoenix mode while they were high/drunk.

So wait, they just can't die at all? I guess if you're super scared on the Nohr path that might be nice but...ehhh

I'm currently playing as Hard/Casual instead of my usual Hard/Classic, mostly because my Japanese is not good enough to understand everything (like some skills or weapons). I usually still reset if I feel that a unit died because I messed up instead of because I didn't understand an important weapon trait.

Since I don't want to spoil anything of substance, I'll just say that if you don't power-level any of your units, Hoshido Hard is actually not a cakewalk.The maps are often more complex than Awakening maps even on Hoshido, and I feel it's at least as hard as Awakening hard. So don't feel bad if you pick casual on Hoshido :)

It would be 3spooky5me

In all seriousness though, I wonder if the devs created Phoenix mode while they were high/drunk.

The devs basically admitted (in the Iwata Asks interview) that the mode is for players who can't handle the strategy aspect of the game, since they want everyone regardless of skill level to be able to enjoy the story all the way to the end.

The devs basically admitted (in the Iwata Asks interview) that the mode is for players who can't handle the strategy aspect of the game, since they want everyone regardless of skill level to be able to enjoy the story all the way to the end.

Lol if you're not able to survive a whole chapter without your entire army, I'm not sure why you are playing any video games in the first place, much less Fire Emblem.

Lol if you're not able to survive a whole chapter without your entire army, I'm not sure why you are playing any video games in the first place, much less Fire Emblem.

I'd say that's the mentality that Fire Emblem fans have had that's scared so many new players away from the series in the first place. There's nothing wrong with being more inclusive.

Normal, casual, Nohr path for starters. I plan on getting the special edition if they release it here and doing all three paths. I'm mostly in it for the story and characters. I like building my team, but I don't like doing it all on paper (or spreadsheets, or whatever planning method) before I actually play. I really enjoyed that about Awakening. I could level up any or all of my characters and decide which ones I liked best as I tinkered around with my lineup throughout the game.

I'm not generally what I would consider an elitist, but I wonder about the concern over difficulty with the addition of phoenix mode... Even if there's a full turn where a unit is gone, that's effectively an invincibility switch. I wish I had played through Awakening on hard mode to begin with to help stretch it out some more (I only picked it up around February or March). On the other hand, it may be a sign that Intelligent Systems is so confident in their story that they think the game will be compelling enough to draw people in who aren't the least bit concerned with the game play...? That's a prospect I can get behind. Hearing lots of praise for the story. (Which is doubly encouraging because I see lots of complaints about "fanservice" ruining the franchise. So if this game can truly satisfy both camps, that will be fantastic.)

My first run will probably be Normal/Classic/Nohr followed by a Hard/Classic/Hoshido. Probably won't touch Lunatic until I've played at least one route twice or until I feel fully comfortable with the new mechanics.

I'll always play Classic, but I wonder what difficulty I want to start on. I'm doing Hoshido first, and debating whether to start on Normal or Hard. I've heard the Normal mode in Fates is tougher than Awakening's, so it'd be good to get my feet wet with it first, but I still don't want it to be a pushover, as I've been playing deftly with this series for many installments.

The theme is of choices is present after all, eh?

I'm torn on the difficulty to choose as well. I'd rather a mode be a little too hard than a little too easy. Unless that difficulty comes in the form of cheap enemy skills cough Hawkeye+ cough

I'm currently playing as Hard/Casual instead of my usual Hard/Classic, mostly because my Japanese is not good enough to understand everything (like some skills or weapons). I usually still reset if I feel that a unit died because I messed up instead of because I didn't understand an important weapon trait.

Since I don't want to spoil anything of substance, I'll just say that if you don't power-level any of your units, Hoshido Hard is actually not a cakewalk.The maps are often more complex than Awakening maps even on Hoshido, and I feel it's at least as hard as Awakening hard. So don't feel bad if you pick casual on Hoshido :)

So in your opinion Hoshido Hard is closer to Awakening's Hard than it's Normal? I usually start games on Normal mode but after the snorefest that was Awakening's first few chapters on Normal mode (ugh) I'm leaning towards starting the game on Hard, especially since I plan to play Hoshido first. I'm still convinced Awakening's Normal and Hard mode were mean to be Easy and Normal but they forgot to change the title....

For my first playthrough, I'll be doing Nohr/Normal/Casual.

...because, to be perfectly honest, I don't consider myself to be too good at strategy/tactic RPGs, and I don't want to keep on restarting the entire chapter just because I made one small, dumb mistake.

And I still very much want to play it, and experience the story/characters.

Still though, I'll probably do what I've done in Awakening: restart once someone falls BUT use battle saves, so that way I won't have to lose TOO much.

I'm going to be starting on Nohr/Hard/Classic, myself. I usually pick the difficulty one step above normal in Fire Emblem (and games in general), unless that's also the hardest. I'll probably be doing the same for my Hoshido and third route playthroughs, saving Lunatic for whichever one I end up replaying first.

Or maybe I'll do the third route on Lunatic. Depends on how I feel about it... and what I hear about the difficulty. I didn't particularly like Awakening's Lunatic difficulty.

The biggest question for me is whether to play male or female Kamui for my first playthrough. When we first started getting trailers and information on the game, I thought I would go male Hoshido first and female Nohr second, but now... especially having switched sides like that... hm.

I'm probably going Hard/Classic on Hoshido and Normal/Classic or Hard/Casual on Nohr for my first routes. Probably Hard for third route since after two runs I should be familiar enough with core mechanics.

For those wondering about which difficulty to pick: Hoshido difficulties seem to be about the same as Awakening, Nohr can get brutal even on Normal. I'm basing this opinion mainly on early-game streams so I might be wrong ofc.

I'm probably going Hard/Classic on Hoshido and Normal/Classic or Hard/Casual on Nohr for my first routes. Probably Hard for third route since after two runs I should be familiar enough with core mechanics.

For those wondering about which difficulty to pick: Hoshido difficulties seem to be about the same as Awakening, Nohr can get brutal even on Normal. I'm basing this opinion mainly on early-game streams so I might be wrong ofc.

2/3 into the Nohr route on hard now,personally i think its tougher than lunatic in Awakening and stages tend to be much more dynamic

I think I'm going hard/classic/nohr for my first run, in order to enjoy the difficulty (cause y'know if you're already aware of the tricks of the chapters, it's not as hard), after that I will make much more hard/casual runs to enjoy the supports. And finally I will be returning to a harder mode.

I was originally going to do Hard / Casual for both paths. Now I'm leaning towards Hard / Casual for Hoshido, and Normal / Casual for Nohr.

I like being challenged, but I really want to grasp the story and know the characters on my first file for each path. After seeing playthroughs on the Nohr path, it makes me question how much of a difference it is from Hoshido. Seeing characters die left and right, even on normal mode. Of course, that could be the case of bad level ups, but I don't want to take any chances. I might even do Normal / Casual for Hoshido, but there's still a lot of time to decide. Never doing Phoenix though (but maybe for fun later).

And if Phoenix was allowed on Lunatic, I would totally do that XD. I would feel less accomplished, but not unaccomplished lol.

2/3 into the Nohr route on hard now,personally i think its tougher than lunatic in Awakening and stages tend to be much more dynamic

...Uhm. Which part of Awakening are we talking here? Because, not knowing how to approach them other than Frederick, the first few chapters of Awakening Lunatic seemed just shy of impossible to me. Later chapters were much easier, but then... I used a tiny handful of characters and deliberately chose the best of them.

I don't mind a good challenge, but for my first playthrough, I'd like to feel I can use whoever I want. And as much as I enjoyed Shadow Dragon H5... that was a bit more than I want for my first time through Fates.