Spoiler Free Discussion Thread

Yeah, it was established that classes specializing in a single type of weapon are the ones to get S ranks, presumably to make them stand out more from classes that can use multiple weapon types. Elite Ninjas/Maids/Butlers are the exception because there is no promoted class that specializes in only hidden weapons or staves.

I really don't get why Jonin get swords in addition to S rank kunai. With Butlers I understand that it's because they'd be completely defenseless otherwise, so IS gave them a second weapon. That makes sense to me.

Why do Jonin get swords in addition to kunai, it's not like they're defenseless with them. Far from it, with their 1-2 range, debuffing, and high speed/skill growths. Normally I'd think It's because the damage output of kunai is pitiful, but Snake Venom more or less fixes that. Then once they become Jonin they not only get Kunaifaire, but they also get Lethality. So, why in the world do they also get swords? The reason I've seen thrown around is, "Because they do". That's the same reason my brother gives me when I ask him why his imaginary friends would need such a mess.

I am honestly really confused as to why Jonin get swords, and I would be happy to know if there's something I'm missing.

Edited by Honey Bunny

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get why Jonin get swords in addition to S rank kunai. With Butlers I understand that it's because they'd be completely defenseless otherwise, so IS gave them a second weapon. That makes sense to me.

Why do Jonin get swords in addition to kunai, it's not like they're defenseless with them. Far from it, with their 1-2 range, debuffing, and high speed/skill growths. Normally I'd think It's because the damage output of kunai is pitiful, but Snake Venom more or less fixes that. Then once they become Jonin they not only get Kunaifaire, but they also get Lethality. So, why in the world do they also get swords? The reason I've seen thrown around is, "Because they do". That's the same reason my brother gives me when I ask him why his imaginary friends would need such a mess.

I am honestly really confused as to why Jonin get swords, and I would be happy to know if there's something I'm missing.

I believe the reason they have swords is a reference to the ninjato, which many ninjas are depicted to wield in popular culture, for example the iconic Ryu Hayabusa. They are after all drawing inspiration from Japanese culture, even if it's fictional.

Very well, good to know, thanks.

Since we got this rolling, and the people in this topic are really polite and I kinda like it here, what does people plan for Avatar's second class? I am thinking of having Samurai, so that my Avatar can further evolve his swordstyle and be a wannabe-Ryoma :)

As a side note, let's not discuss personal skills of characters not revealed in the Famitsu (or the characters at all), I believe that would count as spoilers.

Since i'm starting with Nohr, i think i'll choose a Hoshido class. Probably going for samurai(line of death looks incredible, and swordfaire is always useful) or lancer(halbardier used to be my favourite class).

I should have at least sent a PM to eclipse before posting that. I'm sorry if I happend to ruin the surprise to anyone. Anyway, everything I'll write here about gameplay(with the exception of the thing about effective damage) will be taken by the infos that Vincent is filling on the site.

I think IS gave Jonin swords to make them different from other kunai-using classes and to give them a way to deal more damage. But still, I'd like to know what the S-rank Kunai does before making assumptions. One thing that bothers me is that they gave S Staves to Maids and Butlers. I don't get why a class that uses both Str and Mag should have it. I suppose it's because Felicia/Jakob join you in both routes, but to me Strategists and War Priestesses would make a better job with S Staves.

DAMN IT. I hate scrolling to this topic and seeing so many spoilers in other thread titles. Someone has to get on that.

Oh well. I am excited to see how the multiplayer portion of this game will shape up. I am also excited that there are so many unique weapons, since it will spice up the combat. It just won't be brave weapon this, brave weapon that anymore.

Since we got this rolling, and the people in this topic are really polite and I kinda like it here, what does people plan for Avatar's second class? I am thinking of having Samurai, so that my Avatar can further evolve his swordstyle and be a wannabe-Ryoma :)

As a side note, let's not discuss personal skills of characters not revealed in the Famitsu (or the characters at all), I believe that would count as spoilers.

My favorite two weapon types are lances/naginata and bows/yumi... Guess that means I'm going to become a great merchant,and become the TRUE hero of the proletarian masses, and lead a revolution in nohr!

But seriously, I'll probably become a basara.

I believe the reason they have swords is a reference to the ninjato, which many ninjas are depicted to wield in popular culture, for example the iconic Ryu Hayabusa. They are after all drawing inspiration from Japanese culture, even if it's fictional.

Huh, learn something new everyday. I guess that's a good enough reason, but it just seems sort of...lazy? It doesn't really feel like a strong reason to me, even though I know it works. Ehh, it'll probably grow on me, and a sword wielding ninja is cool.

I'll be going Samurai on my Nohr run too. From everything I've seen just adding Astra to the Dark Blood skill set turns it into an absolute powerhouse. Oni is going to be my Hoshido run just because I am now an avid Oni fan-bunny.

I should have at least sent a PM to eclipse before posting that. I'm sorry if I happend to ruin the surprise to anyone. Anyway, everything I'll write here about gameplay(with the exception of the thing about effective damage) will be taken by the infos that Vincent is filling on the site.

I think IS gave Jonin swords to make them different from other kunai-using classes and to give them a way to deal more damage. But still, I'd like to know what the S-rank Kunai does before making assumptions. One thing that bothers me is that they gave S Staves to Maids and Butlers. I don't get why a class that uses both Str and Mag should have it. I suppose it's because Felicia/Jakob join you in both routes, but to me Strategists and War Priestesses would make a better job with S Staves.

Making them wield kunai only would have differentiated them. Sure it's the exact same weapon as the Ninja, but Berserkers wield the same weapon as Fighter, and no one seems to be complaining about that.

I actually like that Maids/Butlers get S rank staves. It gives them an actual reason to exist, and fits the whole 'Live to Serve' theme they have going. Giving them kunai makes it so that they can defend themselves, but also keeps them firmly in the support role.

What bothers me about Butlers/Maids is that they lose a mount upon promotion. There is no way around that too, their only base class is mounted.

Edited by Honey Bunny

Good to know that I'm appreciated. :(:

I let classes/growths slide, and since weapon ranks are part of classes, I'll let that slide, too. If TC says otherwise, he can either announce it here, or let me know!

Woops. Guess I should check a little further back before I say something like that. My bad. XD

DAMN IT. I hate scrolling to this topic and seeing so many spoilers in other thread titles. Someone has to get on that.

Oh well. I am excited to see how the multiplayer portion of this game will shape up. I am also excited that there are so many unique weapons, since it will spice up the combat. It just won't be brave weapon this, brave weapon that anymore.

Spoilers in thread titles? I haven't seen those that much, but it must be worse than I thought. Just look on the far left for the star, it's on this topic and the release hype thread and like one more. Hopefully that will save you from the spoilerificness that the FE:Fates subforum has become.

I did use it, yes, but that got tedious pretty fast. Yeah, I just don't like grinding most of the time.

Don't bows only get damage multiplier against flyers? Not that any added avoid Revenant Knight gets from WTA is likely to help them avoid bows anyways. Hopefully. Anyways, I was more just commenting how interesting comparing some of the counterpart classes of each nation can get, not really complaining about the class themselves. Though aside from the flyers I mostly see the trend of Hoshido having speedier but weaker or less durable classes. So Hoshido is female and Nohr is male if older FEs are anything to go by

Also yeah, Beastbane seems much more useful for Hoshido than Nohr, though it's not bad for either.

... If I want someone to end up as Bow Knight, I'll get enough skills so I won't have to use Bow Knight ones first =P

That's seriously the only way I can see myself using Bow Knights right now. Unless of course lots of strong enemy ninjas appear regularly on Nohr route, in which case that Kunaibreaker will come in handy.

Oh, I only grinded post-game and it was mostly for supports (although I also wanted to make my characters strong enough to beat all the non Apothesis DLC). Grinding is the only way to get all the supports so it didn't really bother me since EXPonential growth takes like 5-10 minutes to beat.

Oh yea you right, saying they get boosted hit was an error on my part.

And yea that's actually a good analogy for the difference in Hoshido vs Nohr. Plus with all the mounted units Nohr obviously has a movement advantage. I find it interesting that I haven't seen (at least from skimming the weapons section, which is obviously incomplete) any beast slayers.

And I agree on BK,, although Soen's point about them being mobile thieves is a good point. Plus, statistically they're superior to Adventurer's in every stat but Speed (kind of weird since BK's are mounted but it's only a -1 disadvantage), RES (-2) and MAG (which BK obviously has no need for). So unless you want you're thief promotion to be a healer, BK might actually be the ideal final promoted class for Outlaws.

I noticed one thing while looking in the Maximum Stats... I'll put it under spoiler but I really don't think it is. After all, it's about gameplay and it's a minor thing.

It seems that Weapon Level caps are changed. S is back, but only Trueblades, Holy Lancers, Holy Bowmen, Elite Ninjas, Berserkers and Sorcerers can obtain it with the weapon they use. Nine-tailed Fox and Managarmr can obtain S Stones, but the Avatar can't. The other classes can use two or more weapons, but they can only get A rank in one weapon. The weapon is already determined, so it's a different system, compared to the GBA one. The only exceptions to this are White and Black Blood, who can get A Swords/Stones and Paladin, who can get A Swords/Lances.

Interesting. I noticed when I skimmed the classes and skills page that certain one-weapon locked classes seemed like they'd be at a disadvantage compared to their more versatile counterparts but this change obviously has added a fun new wrinkle to class changing. I'm excited.....

*sigh* 6+ more months....

EDIT:

What bothers me about Butlers/Maids is that they lose a mount upon promotion. There is no way around that too, their only base class is mounted.

Agreed, I can't think of the last class to lose their mount upon promotion. Although I guess it's somewhat compensated by having the statistical edge (5 to 3), imo slightly better skills, and actually being able to obtain an S rank in staves unlike Strategists. I can't see myself not reclassing my Maid/Butler into a strategist. Although Felicia's so cute as a maid I don't know if I can reclass her. She gives me a maid fetish I don't even have.

Agreed on personal skills, mostly because it involves bringing in non-prelease characters.

And ideally I'd factor in who I marry with what my secondary class is since you get access to your spouses class (can't remember if it's all their branch classes or just what their in), but I plan on going in blind so...

...my first runs secondary class will be based solely on best skills since there's no way I'm NOT staying as Dark/White Blood for my final class.:

Cavalier branch. No question. Doing it for Great Knight's skills alone. Luna's still one of the best skills in the game and Diamond Strike (When user triggers the battle, physical damage received -10) sounds awesome, especially on a unit I plan on using aggressively like Kamui. Defender and Aegis are just icing on the cake. Cavalier's skills are kind of meh, but who cares with it's promoted unit's awesome skills.

EDIT: Removed a lot of text because it seems secondary class or reclassing isn't tied to routes. In that case Cavalier for secondary class all day, every route.

Edited by BlueL

In Fates the calculations for damaging an opponent with an effective weapon have changed a little bit. Here's how it changed:

Damage in FE1/13 = Str/Mag + (Weapon Might * 3) - Enemy's Def/Res

Damage in FE14 = (Str/Mag + Weapon Might) * 3 - Enemy's Def/Res

Ugh, why did they do this. FE13 already IMO went too far with the super-forged weakness-hitting weapons allowing too many one-shots, this will just make those OHKOs all but inevitable. I guess that's a valid design goal (and goodness knows flyers need the arrow weakness to keep them from being ridiculously OP) but it feels like a strategic blunt instrument to toss out OHKO units like that.

If it's really bad, report the first post of the topic, and explain why it's a spoiler that's so bad that it must be changed ASAP. Worst comes to worse, I'll figure out something when I get home.

Agreed, I can't think of the last class to lose their mount upon promotion.

Awakening's Troubadour into War Cleric. :P:

Only 6 months left (or more)...

Good thing Trails of Cold Steel, Persona 5, and Xenoblade X come out this year.

This thread is now about the Legend of Heroes series :P:

But playing other things should help to shorten the wait. I'd be happy with an overseas release date!

This thread is now about the Legend of Heroes series :P:

But playing other things should help to shorten the wait. I'd be happy with an overseas release date!

Thread hijack

I agree, a release date and/or information about regular/special editions would be especially great for the non-spoiler crowd.

Cavalier branch for Nohr. No question. Doing it for Great Knight's skills alone. Luna's still one of the best skills in the game and Diamond Strike (When user triggers the battle, physical damage received -10) sounds awesome, especially on a unit I plan on using aggressively like Kamui. Defender and Aegis are just icing on the cake. Cavalier's skills are kind of meh, but who cares with it's promoted unit's awesome skills.

As for Hoshido...most likely Pegasus Warrior (every skill in this branch but Rally Speed sounds awesome. And Rally speed is actually good for a rally skill but it's wasted on an offensive unit like avatar)

Might consider Oni Savage primarily for Lancebreaker (to lessen Kamui's weakness against lances when he has a sword equipped) Counter (do I need to explain??); the other skills Resistance Seal (would be a good set-up for mage classes), Ogre Strik (+20 crit rate is nice) and Shove and Smithy skill are solid too.

I'll also consider the Samurai class primarily for Vantage, Swordfaire, strength seal and Astra. Flowing Strike is also nice.

Not including the possibility of accessing Dark Falcon and Dread Fighter for each respective branch, my 6 skills for each route would be

Nohr: Dragon Fang, Dragon Cure, Nohr, Luna, Diamond Strike and Aegis.

Hoshido: Dragon Fang, Draconic Shield, Hoshido, Swallow Strike, Eastern Strike and Sun God.

If I marry Kazahana like I plan to on Hoshido, I'd probably replace Eastern Strike and Sun God with Vantage and Astra/swordfaire.

Correct me if I am wrong but as I understood it, you have 6 skills total but one of them is the personal skill which cannot be removed, which means the other 5 comes from classes. So in Kamui's case, s/he would have the Mysterious Charm.

Also I haven't seen any evidence that says you must use Hoshido/Nohr classes in the respective games.

Then again, I should probably at least try to get some confirmation on this (the game is in japanese which I can't read though, in my defense) before shooting my mouth off like that

Edited by CocoaGalaxy

Also I haven't seen any evidence that says you must use Hoshido/Nohr classes in the respective games.

Then again, I should probably at least try to get some confirmation on this (the game is in japanese which I can't read though, in my defense) before shooting my mouth off like that

I don't know how it works when choosing Kamui's secondary class at the beginning, but we know it works in general because some characters have natural reclass options that are from the other country.

I don't think this should be considered a spoiler, but:

Odin, Lazward, and Luna can reclass into Samurai, Ninja, and Pegasus Warrior respectively

Edited by Bovinian

I noticed that this game has hard mode and lunatic mode just like awakening, so how are these modes in comparison to Awakening's?

In awakening I saw Hard mode as not too easy but not that hard (most levels) and Lunatic(+) was headache to play without dlc (possible, but more effort than its worth in my opinion, though with dlc Lunatic+ was Awesome!).

Should I expect the same/similar experience with FE:Fates? I herd the Hoshido path you can grind so would you need the dlc?

I think it's safe to assume that Kamui isn't restricted to the country's classes, as the downloadable version has neither side pre-chosen.

I noticed that this game has hard mode and lunatic mode just like awakening, so how are these modes in comparison to Awakening's?

In awakening I saw Hard mode as not too easy but not that hard (most levels) and Lunatic(+) was headache to play without dlc (possible, but more effort than its worth in my opinion, though with dlc Lunatic+ was Awesome!).

Should I expect the same/similar experience with FE:Fates? I herd the Hoshido path you can grind so would you need the dlc?

IMHO, Lunatic wasn't that bad even without DLC. As long as you trained Avatar well early on and made sure you didn't neglect everyone else in the time frame from Ch. 7 to Ch. 11 (probably the easiest part of the game), it wasn't that bad.

Anyway, I've heard that (at least for Nohr), Hard is comparable to Awakening's Lunatic, and Lunatic in turn would probably be like FE5/FE6 hard mode. I don't know, but it sounds crazy, to say the least. Of course, that's just what I've heard/my own personal speculations.

So what does everyone think about the increase in skills encouraging you to use attack/guard stance?

Even more so than with Pair-up and Dual Strike/Guard, they're really pushing the idea of the buddy system this game. I guess the days of ever having a unit not have someone adjacent to them are over.

Awakening's Troubadour into War Cleric. :P:

*slams head on desk* My bad lol

Correct me if I am wrong but as I understood it, you have 6 skills total but one of them is the personal skill which cannot be removed, which means the other 5 comes from classes. So in Kamui's case, s/he would have the Mysterious Charm.

Ugh I forgot about that skill because I didn't like it. Thanks for the correction. In that case my 5 non personal skills would be Luna, Diamond Strike, Aegis, Dragon Fang, and Draconic Curse/Shield for Nohr/Hoshido respectively. May consider replacing Aegis with Hoshido and Nohr respectively for certain maps.

I don't know how it works when choosing Kamui's secondary class at the beginning, but we know it works in general because some characters have natural reclass options that are from the other country.

I don't think this should be considered a spoiler, but:

Odin, Lazward, and Luna can reclass into Samurai, Ninja, and Pegasus Warrior respectively

So the point of each game having separate classes is just that you don't get any starting classes from the opposite route?

Edited by BlueL

on another note, does anybody wonder if they decided to do this whole split release thing to determine how people prefer their FE experience so they know what to make the next game like.

Edited by Captain Karnage

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! AUGH, spoilers are EVERYWHERE! I've been super careful about avoiding them, and STILL a major plot point has been spoiled for me. Well, maybe not a major plot point, but I'm fairly certain that it is, and even if it isn't, it's still a big deal to me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! AUGH, spoilers are EVERYWHERE! I've been super careful about avoiding them, and STILL a major plot point has been spoiled for me. Well, maybe not a major plot point, but I'm fairly certain that it is, and even if it isn't, it's still a big deal to me.

I feel the same way. I have some vague ideas of what might happen but whether or not its true, I will be looking out for it as I play the game which won't give me the same emotional impact.

Just avoid this forum.

Edited by xcel

Yeah, spoilers are everywhere. If you want to avoid more, I would avoid listening/ watching anything Fates related, because I'm listening to the OST and have to deal with videos featuring the endgame with spoilers in the title and thumbnail (jeez people, can you NOT put spoilers in those?) are plaguing the recommended video sections.