Main Aqua discussion thread.

Pepper

Why is their relation such an issue when it's not illegal in Japan, in various other countries of the world and even in some states of the US?

Is this purely based on beliefs and social stigma of the place people where raised in? I mean, if something as simple as that is enough to make you go "eew" then you really didn't like the pairing so much in the first place.

Even if you don't count Azura and Kamui, the sheer number of incest that can happen in gen 2 is something that could make Genealogy proud. You don't even need any effort to make Grey x Midoriko happen, for example. There's no escape from this when Kamui can marry Shigure or any other kid from Azura, or all the incest that can happen between the kids from the princes with any girl that happens to have a princess as their mom.

I don't want to start anything, but I just know people are going to blow this Azura thing out of proportion again while ignoring (or being ignorant) that this isn't an issue in the place the game was made - they're not trying to be as offensive as possible, it's just not illegal there. That or they'll go "waah waah how dare Japan not have the same cultural stigma as me!" and then demand for it to be changed anyway.

Because there was no reason for it. It comes out of nowhere and adds nothing at all. Even if I had no issue from a moral stand point its truly asinine from a story telling one. Its just as stupid as reducing the moral conflict of choosing Hoshido or Nohr by reducing the siblings of the former into just more husbandos and waifus. Just more fetish fuel.....

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with first cousins getting together. It's perfectly legal in Japan and plenty of other places, and I personally don't find a match of 5 or 6 chromosomes (on average) to be a big deal. If they had been raised together it could be squicky from a Westermarck Effect standpoint, but there's no issue there. I likewise don't see it as a fetish decision because, again, there's nothing taboo about it in the culture it came from. S-ranking the other royals remains psychologically squicky and the Hoshidans not being related to you I agree was a cop-out that undermines the game's themes, but this news about Aqua is neither.

I'm just sad many are and will be screaming "Abandon ship!" over it. It was nice when we stood united. :(

I have no problem with first cousins getting together. It's perfectly legal in Japan and plenty of other places, and I personally don't find a match of 5 or 6 chromosomes (on average) to be a big deal. If they had been raised together it could be squicky from a Westermarck Effect standpoint, but there's no issue there. I likewise don't see it as a fetish decision because, again, there's nothing taboo about it in the culture it came from. S-ranking the other royals remains psychologically squicky and the Hoshidans not being related to you I agree was a cop-out that undermines the game's themes, but this news about Aqua is neither.

I'm just sad many are and will be screaming "Abandon ship!" over it. It was nice when we stood united. :(

What makes this worse outside of the whole incest thing is the fact that they never talk about the fact that Aqua is Kamui's family. Nothing is ever brought up about this connection. Instead it just an excuse for the hero to have an easy access to the throne since he has appropriate bloodline. Kamui being of Touma blood is just a plot convenience through this reveal.

I'm honestly kinda weirded out by it, but I am convinced that the localization team will probably just end up removing that one line (since it has been confirmed that its literally one line and never brought up again or even mentioned by any character)

Like, I will be shocked if it survives localization.

Edited by TheWerdna

Well, I had cousin marriages in my family before, so it's not really weird to me, so don't worry, I'm still at the ship at least!!

Anchors aweigh!

What makes this worse outside of the whole incest thing is the fact that they never talk about the fact that Aqua is Kamui's family. Nothing is ever brought up about this connection. Instead it just an excuse for the hero to have an easy access to the throne since he has appropriate bloodline. Kamui being of Touma blood is just a plot convenience through this reveal.

Oh sure, it's lazy writing, don't get me wrong. But this story is hardly getting a Pulitzer with or without it, so I'm not going to let that rain on my shipping parade.

Midoriko and Grey, and Ryoma's, Takumi's, Xander's and Leo's children with the children of their sisters.

plenty of children units are cousins and you know what to do next. >.>

They are truly pleasing and pandering everyone with Fates.

Yes, Yes, Yes! My Glorious Days of FE4 are back.

Celice x Julia, Nanna x Aless, Lester x Patty, Lakche x Shanan, Faval x Lana. Ahh those were the days....

Kamui being of Touma blood is just a plot convenience through this reveal.

Biiiiiiig

Errrr... I think I would have to argue against this sentence in particular. Strenuously. Kamui being the child of Anakanos is, from a thematic standpoint, absolutely a necessity. It's foreshadowed by the fact that he's a manakete with water-related powers. It's referred to in his character design, with the black and white armor. It's necessary to give equal weight to the two routes and to enable the existence of the third route, and it is also relevant symbolically that the child of Anakanos unites those who bear his blood and in effect redeems them for the primary "sin" they committed that caused Anakanos's hatred in the first place. Argue against the necessity of Kamui and Azura's parts being siblings all you want, but Kamui has to be Anakanos's child for everything to come together well.

Edited by Lhyonnaes

Biiiiiiig

Errrr... I think I would have to argue against this sentence in particular. Strenuously. Kamui being the child of Anakanos is, from a thematic standpoint, absolutely a necessity. It's foreshadowed by the fact that he's a manakete with water-related powers. It's referred to in his character design, with the black and white armor. It's necessary to give equal weight to the two routes and to enable the existence of the third route, and it is also relevant symbolically that the child of Anakanos unites those who bear his blood and in effect redeems them for the primary "sin" they committed that caused Anakanos's hatred in the first place. Argue against the necessity of Kamui and Azura's parts being siblings all you want, but Kamui has to be Anakanos's child for everything to come together well.

He does have to be his kid, but him and Azura being related as cousins seems kinda.. random.

He does have to be his kid, but him and Azura being related as cousins seems kinda.. random.

It is random, it wouldn't be nearly as bad if it had been brought up more than that, but since is just practically one random mention it just comes off as rather stupid. Localization could just conveniently drop that line out of the whole deal since it serves zero point otherwise

Biiiiiiig

I never argued about Anakanos and Kamui being father and son after all it was the union between the former and Mikoto that made the Avatar a memeber of the bloodline but I did think it was handled poorly in some areas that at times made it feel like a plot convenience while other times it works fine I divided on ths aspect of the story. However that doesnt explain how hamfisted the whole "BTW Mikoto and Not-Aversa are sisters thing" was! This comes of as a Big Lipped Alligator Moment because no one ever bring is it up again. It serves no purpose.

Edited by Iron Griffin

It serves no purpose.

Given that Aqua was part of the real royal family before Hydra took control of the Kingdom, Kamui having blood directly close to the real royal family is important. Instead of just "redeeming" the ruling of a Tyrant by continuing it in a pacific manner, what happens is that Kamui taking control if he is part of the direct royal family makes him inheriting the throne just. And that's what happens, Aqua stays to help Kamui, but he ends up as the ruler by right because that's what Aqua wanted.

You take their blood relation away and all you get is the kid of the evil previous tyrant continuing his reign while the princess abdicates the throne. The reason why she can do it so freely is because Kamui IS the next person on line to inherit the throne.

It's not random, it's there for a reason. Specially given that this ends up being the only path where Kamui can end up as the ruler of a Kingdom that is his solely by birthright. Even if Mikoto was the queen of Hoshido, she was only part of the royal family by marriage, no blood involved.

Given that Aqua was part of the real royal family before Hydra took control of the Kingdom, Kamui having blood directly close to the real royal family is important. Instead of just "redeeming" the ruling of a Tyrant by continuing it in a pacific manner, what happens is that Kamui taking control if he is part of the direct royal family makes him inheriting the throne just. And that's what happens, Aqua stays to help Kamui, but he ends up as the ruler by right because that's what Aqua wanted.

You take their blood relation away and all you get is the kid of the evil previous tyrant continuing his reign while the princess abdicates the throne. The reason why she can do it so freely is because Kamui IS the next person on line to inherit the throne.

It's not random, it's there for a reason. Specially given that this ends up being the only path where Kamui can end up as the ruler of a Kingdom that is his solely by birthright. Even if Mikoto was the queen of Hoshido, she was only part of the royal family by marriage, no blood involved.

Sorry I don't agree all I see is just another example of IS's contrived and poor writing. I had high hopes for these games as well but it just continued to disappoint me each time I learned something new about them. And its not just the bad story telling but its IS's other ridiculous choices as well that really leave me thinking that man this could have been actually good if they didn't botch so much up.

Of course it's not. Kamui was bound to be related to someone here. Ironically it ended up being Azura, who was supposed to be his opposite. Besides I don't understand the fuss, first cousins are legal and it's in the bible that you, as a man, are entitled to your female cousin's hand in marriage above any other suitor. No biggie.

Complain when you're an uncle and a father at the same time.

Edited by Neofranky

Of course it's not. Kamui was bound to be related to someone here. Ironically it ended up being Azura, who was supposed to be his opposite. Besides I don't understand the fuss, first cousins are legal and it's in the bible that you, as a man, are entitled to your female cousin's hand in marriage above any other suitor. No biggie.

Complain when you're an uncle and a father at the same time.

Can't tell if this sentence is suppose to be serious or not.

Edited by Iron Griffin

Can't tell if this sentence is suppose to be serious or not.

The bible is really odd and consist of two books that, for the most part, contradicts each other. It's very fun when you don't take it too seriously.

The bible is really odd and consist of two books that, for the most part, contradicts each other. It's very fun when you don't take it too seriously.

Truth be told without trying to step on any toes I do find such things rather interesting especially seeing how such scriptures change with the times and yes examining the comparisons of different versions can be both intriguing and very amusing.

Since the entire matter regarding how Corrin was conceived was never touched upon, I guess we're all free to speculate how exactly it went down.

For example, I could just assume that Hydra created Corrin and had him develop inside Mikoto. Corrin would already have been created without Mikoto's genes, but she's still his mother in the sense she gave birth to him. That way, he's technically not related to Mikoto nor Aqua.

As for his 'claim' to the throne, usurper or not, Hydra was the last king, so it goes to Corrin regardless.