Main Aqua discussion thread.

Pepper

I'm going to put something BlackMage had said to me in regards to this topic because we are retreading old ground here. These are his words not mine.

Given that Aqua was part of the real royal family before Hydra took control of the Kingdom, Kamui having blood directly close to the real royal family is important. Instead of just "redeeming" the ruling of a Tyrant by continuing it in a pacific manner, what happens is that Kamui taking control if he is part of the direct royal family makes him inheriting the throne just. And that's what happens, Aqua stays to help Kamui, but he ends up as the ruler by right because that's what Aqua wanted.

You take their blood relation away and all you get is the kid of the evil previous tyrant continuing his reign while the princess abdicates the throne. The reason why she can do it so freely is because Kamui IS the next person on line to inherit the throne.

It's not random, it's there for a reason. Specially given that this ends up being the only path where Kamui can end up as the ruler of a Kingdom that is his solely by birthright. Even if Mikoto was the queen of Hoshido, she was only part of the royal family by marriage, no blood involved.

As for MY standpoint

It is not the Kissing Cousins thing that bothers me but how it is handled after the reveal. It is never addressed by ANYONE especially Kamu and Aqua. This was a real missed opportunity for some real heavy drama. Regardless if they are lovers or not with just about all of their family dead they are the only survivors of their bloodline there should be some weight there! But once again the theme of family is drowned out for the plot. Could it have been rewritten to not have that angle? Yes but keep in mind Japan doesn't see anything wrong with this.

Technically, Kamui should already have a claim by merely being the child of Anakanos. He might've overthrown the last king, but unless Aqua's claim was pressed, Kamui is in line to inherit as the only child of Anakanos, or whatever type of succession they have, given it was unlikely Anakanos expected to ever die. When he is defeated, Aqua passed on retaking the throne for herself (unless you marry her, which I imagine she ends up as queen.) and instead lets it go to Kamui. So yes, them being cousins isn't needed at all when they have a perfectly valid claim already. Or rather, they should. Its just.. out of the blue and kind of creepy if you married her.

• Replies 568
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technically, Kamui should already have a claim by merely being the child of Anakanos. He might've overthrown the last king, but unless Aqua's claim was pressed, Kamui is in line to inherit as the only child of Anakanos, or whatever type of succession they have, given it was unlikely Anakanos expected to ever die. When he is defeated, Aqua passed on retaking the throne for herself (unless you marry her, which I imagine she ends up as queen.) and instead lets it go to Kamui. So yes, them being cousins isn't needed at all when they have a perfectly valid claim already. Or rather, they should. Its just.. out of the blue and kind of creepy if you married her.

Of course how out of the blue the reveal was makes it a bit awkward then again Japan does not see anything wrong with it and there places around the world where its not an issue even here in the states. If it bothers people that much well the localization can deal with it but it wasn't really written with the sensibilities of other countries in mind. At the very least it wasn't fetishized like other cases but it could have been handled much better regardless.

Of course how out of the blue the reveal was makes it a bit awkward then again Japan does not see anything wrong with it and there places around the world where its not an issue even here in the states. If it bothers people that much well the localization can deal with it but it wasn't really written with the sensibilities of other countries in mind. At the very least it wasn't fetishized like other cases but it could have been handled much better regardless.

There is quite enough of fetishes in Fates already in way too many forms. However, what the problem is that neither Kamui nor Azura even MENTION being related to each other, as far as I remember. It's just such a pointless element that was just thrown out there for no adequately explained reason.

Much like...pretty much everything in this game.

There is quite enough of fetishes in Fates already in way too many forms. However, what the problem is that neither Kamui nor Azura even MENTION being related to each other, as far as I remember. It's just such a pointless element that was just thrown out there for no adequately explained reason.

Much like...pretty much everything in this game.

"What the problem is that neither Kamui nor Azura even MENTION being related to each other."

I have already stated this 4 f$#king times already in my previous posts with Pepper. This is my main issue with the reveal not the fact that they are cousins.

"What the problem is that neither Kamui nor Azura even MENTION being related to each other."

I have already stated this 4 f$#king times already in my previous posts with Pepper. This is my main issue with the reveal not the fact that they are cousins.

And I agree with you. It was just thrown out there for no particular reason - it doesn't matter if Kamui is actually Jabba the Hutt in disguise if it doesn't affect the story or anybody even cares. The game feels so intent on heavy-handedly trying to shock the player that they forget about coherency and simple logic.

That's partially why you feel like a bystander this game, because the characters don't feel like people since they never react to any of these reveals in a natural manner.

And I agree with you. It was just thrown out there for no particular reason - it doesn't matter if Kamui is actually Jabba the Hutt in disguise if it doesn't affect the story or anybody even cares. The game feels so intent on heavy-handedly trying to shock the player that they forget about coherency and simple logic.

That's partially why you feel like a bystander this game, because the characters don't feel like people since they never react to any of these reveals in a natural manner.

This can be considered a shock for folks here in the West although in some places not so much but in Japan its normal as it is with other cultures but as we have both acknowledged its how the reveal is handled. Also I don't think we can call it a fetish in this regard as there was nothing sexualized here but just outright skimmed over and forgotten. If you want fetishes the siblings BS, some of the outfits, or the three furries are better examples because those were intentionally made to be "sexy".

Yeah I saw that one it's pretty funny. Too bad the real Azura doesn't show any emotion throughout the story.

That second frame is glorious.

post-15556-0-57566900-1438333041_thumb.jpg I have a love/hate with Aqua She is my waifu but she did some dumb stuff in the story.

I think Lucina was actually a better character, since after the reveal of her identity that drop the whole mysterious aspect and let her actually develop a personality beyond "exposition bot".

I mean, I still like Aqua, and she's still going to be my Fates waifu, but in the end Lucina wins out as my one true Fire Emblem waifu due to being a better character. Not to mention I think her relationship with Robin is actually deeper despite all the forced shipping of Kamui and Aqua, though that might just because Robin is ALSO a better character than Kamui.