Gay marriage declared legal in all states

Tryhard

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the Supreme Court blatantly ripped off IS's ideas

In all seriousness, I wonder how long it'll take to implement this. There is going to be some resistance to be sure. But yeah, Im pretty satisfied with this. Welcome to the club of truly modern nation states, America! Took you long enough, but Id pay money to see the look on the founding fathers faces if they found out that the UK would do this before America. Its truly ironic how far what was founded as the land of the free has fallen in terms of civil rights in regards to other nations.

Edited by blah2127

:UnitedStates:HELL YES :UnitedStates:

I'm away up in the mountains at church camp this week with very little 'net, but I heard about this about an hour ago when a friend showed me the news article on his phone.
Then I heard about it again a half hour later, when the resident pastor made an announcement at morning gathering and we got up to sing a song of praise \o/

This has been a good week, SCOTUS-wise.

Yeah, I don't see why other people should be excluded from universal rights. I'm in favor of gay marriage.

Does that mean churches will now be forced to accept making marriages even if they have religious disagreements with it, though? Because I think they shouldn't be forced to do something that goes against their beliefs. Gay people can just marry outside churches, with both sides leaving victorious.

Does that mean churches will now be forced to accept making marriages even if they have religious disagreements with it, though? Because I think they shouldn't be forced to do something that goes against their beliefs. Gay people can just marry outside churches, with both sides leaving victorious.

This is only about the legal status of marriage, not its religious status. No religious official will, at least under current laws, be forced to officiate a religious ceremony they don't believe in. Though if a same-sex couple wants a Christian marriage, there are plenty of willing pastors/etc. around.

i'm not surprised its happened, now gays have the right to be unhappy and break up 50% of their marriages just like straights.

it is a equal right tho, i'm just not fond of the idea of marriage as a whole

May I inquire as to why?

I can't speak for Kai but the term "marriage" has religious connotations, so calling it a "union" is much better and leave the term "marriage" to whatever the hell the couple wants to do religious. That should in theory solve like 90% of all arguments that state "the bible defines marriage as between a man and a woman," when the government isn't regulation marriage.

Also people don't agree with tax breaks for just getting married.

Edited by Lord Raven

Good for them.

Huge step forward, definitely.

EDIT:

May I inquire as to why?

Probably the idea of sharing your entire life with another, with all of your business being their business. Like a contract where bad stuff will happen if you break it, a contract where your life may as well be on the line.

Like with marriage counseling, they always favor the wife anyway. And if it just doesn't happen to work out, they hate you for the rest of your life and get half of your stuff after going through a complicated process.

This is the impression I get after seeing so many people go through it and I can't say the idea is appealing to me either. Happy for gays to be able to marry as well but now they have to go through all this too.

Edited by Draco

That's pretty great, on the other hand, can any american please explain me, I thought that the way it worked in America was that each and every state would have to legalize it on it's own, but this one decision affected all of them at once?

That's pretty great, on the other hand, can any american please explain me, I thought that the way it worked in America was that each and every state would have to legalize it on it's own, but this one decision affected all of them at once?

All states have their own laws, but all laws in all states have to be in accordance with the constitution. The Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional to not allow gay marriage, thus all states have to allow it. Make sense?

tumblr_nqk6amQ7EK1sj8f85o1_540.png

Saw this gem. From twitter user @Mrakon, posted on tumblr by user xunit-00x.

Nice job America.

now mississippi AND fire emblem can have gay marriage in TYOOL 2015 :3:

Wow, I never thought I would see the day. I wonder if the hopeful Republican candidates for 2016 are going to dare try and be against it now.

huckabee already melted down over it

All states have their own laws, but all laws in all states have to be in accordance with the constitution. The Supreme Court declared it unconstitutional to not allow gay marriage, thus all states have to allow it. Make sense?

I suppose so.

Perfect, so now that this is out of the way and gay people can be just as miserable as the rest of married people in the country, can my news channels finally talk about some real god damn news like the terrorist attack in Tunisia?

No?

Okay then, thanks TV

EDIT: Not upset about gay marriage or anything like that, I'm just pretty pissed this is getting more attention than stuff like Tunisia which is what I would consider a more appropriate news topic.

Edited by Eail

I can't speak for Kai but the term "marriage" has religious connotations, so calling it a "union" is much better and leave the term "marriage" to whatever the hell the couple wants to do religious. That should in theory solve like 90% of all arguments that state "the bible defines marriage as between a man and a woman," when the government isn't regulation marriage.

Also people don't agree with tax breaks for just getting married.

I agree with this. Though legal marriage also allows for things like one half to carry out the medical wishes of the other half should they become incapacitated, and other social benefits.

---

Can't wait to see the reaction of my current church. They took Hawaii's legalization of gay marriage pretty well (though there's some bullshit clause that can force certain pastors to marry gay couples, which I don't approve of). As for me. . .meh. I feel sorry for the courts, and those in charge of the paperwork!

EDIT: Now where the hell are the domestic abuse shelters for men? Abuse knows no gender, and with the legalization of gay marriage, I think this is even more important.

Edited by eclipse

EDIT: Now where the hell are the domestic abuse shelters for men? Abuse knows no gender, and with the legalization of gay marriage, I think this is even more important.

Oh they existed at one point, but then their funding was slashed to an incredible degree that it wasn't possible to keep 'em open anymore.

Mind you I highly doubt that's going to change with the current environment of the world we live in these days.

Hell, even on the shelters that take in male children, quite a few have a limit of 13 years old because anything past that would be 'triggering'

That's likely the most fucked up thing I've ever heard by the way, Mom gets beaten by dad, wants to take her son away with her (Hell the kid is probably getting beaten too), "Oh no sorry, we'll take you in but your 14 year old son is just fucked."

Oh they existed at one point, but then their funding was slashed to an incredible degree that it wasn't possible to keep 'em open anymore.

Mind you I highly doubt that's going to change with the current environment of the world we live in these days.

Hell, even on the shelters that take in male children, quite a few have a limit of 13 years old because anything past that would be 'triggering'

That's likely the most fucked up thing I've ever heard by the way, Mom gets beaten by dad, wants to take her son away with her (Hell the kid is probably getting beaten too), "Oh no sorry, we'll take you in but your 14 year old son is just fucked."

Marriage is a double-edged sword. You share resources, get tax breaks, and can make some very important social decisions, BUT getting away from someone who is out to ruin you becomes a lot harder. Since same-sex marriage is now legal, that means that such things apply to married gay couples. I hope there's some recourse for those who wind up in a truly shitty marriage, because being abusive is a human trait, not one exclusive to one's orientation.

Worst case scenario is Ted and Bob being married, Ted abusing Bob, and Bob having nowhere to turn.