Do Character Reclasses keep their color scheme?

Deviljho

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be fairly simple if we're talking just about pallet swaps, rather than actual unique texture/color designs.

It's not so simple even then. I messed around with classes using a GBA emulator, and characters got crazy looks. When they make pallettes for classes, they don't make equivalent colors go into the same place, since the base color for the class (regardless of the army color), is different from the others. This could make a dark knight look like anythink but dark if, for example, Sakura reclassed into one.

Okay, I've done some testing for the Hoshido classes and this is what I found for unique models. I'm not including the special 'generic' units you can capture. All promotions that aren't part of the classes original promotion path change to generic blue (with the exception of Shinonome who gets his father's armor as a True Blade).

[spoiler=True Blade]

Kazahana (pink), Hinata (purple), Ryoma+Shinonome (Red)

[spoiler=Elite Ninja]

Suzukaze (green), Saizo (red), Kagerou (yellow, pink and boobs), Grey (Black and grey, unique model details)

[spoiler=Holy Lancer]

Oboro (orange inner lining and black belt), Shinonome (red inner lining, belt and sleeves)

[spoiler=Exorcist]

Izana (pure white robes)

[spoiler=War Priestess]

Sakura (unique color pallet AND model)

[spoiler=Holy Bowman]

Takumi (different shirt and slightly different color pallet), Setsuna (slightly different color pallet)

[spoiler=Golden Kite Warrior]

Yuugiri (grey)

[spoiler=Falcon Warrior]

Shigeru (lighter color pallet), Hinoka + Matoi (red and orange)

[spoiler=Shura]

Rinka (purple shawl and white pants)

[spoiler=Ninetales]

Nishiki (unique model), Kinu (unique model)

Incomplete Data: Shara, Yukimura, Midoriko, Asama, Tsukuyomi

[spoiler=Classes with no unique pallets]

Basara, Blacksmith, Weapon Master, Great Merchant, White Blood, Puppeteer

Get to work, Nohrians.

​Yesssss thanks

​Now I can finally begin planning final classes properly

So I've tested a few of the Nohrian characters, and aside from Odin keeping his yellow palette for both the Samurai and Trueblade class, the Nohrian characters I've tested (Arthur, Effie, Luna, Odin, and Charlotte) only keep their color palette for their "cannon" promotion. (What class they are when they are encountered on the Hoshido path) Arthur keeps his color scheme as a Hero, but loses it if you make him into a Berserker. Luna keeps her red color scheme as a Bow Knight, but not as a hero. Odin keeps his yellow scheme as a Sorcerer, Samurai, and Trueblade. Effie keeps hers as a General, but not as a Great Knight. Charlotte keeps hers as a Berserker, but not as a hero. Strange that it's a bit of a downgrade from Awakening where if a character kept their color scheme on promotion, they usually kept their color scheme on both promotion paths. (It's a neat callback that Odin keeps his yellow as a Trueblade though.)

I guess it's a bit neat, as you know what class the character canonically ends up as.

Edited by Monado Boy

I guess it's a bit neat, as you know what class the character canonically ends up as.

I don't like it, since for me, it kinda defeats the whole point of branched promotions entirely (but I don't expect them to have it for reclass-only stuff)

​Why would I want a character in a class where they don't even look like they belong?

​

it's times like this that ​I reeeeeally miss the GBA sprites

So instead of having some units stuck with a default colour scheme, you want nearly every unit to look the exact same but with more different colours and have some units change appearance dramatically after a class change .... Sure go ahead you can have them. plus in hindsight the gba sprites seem kinda like a step-back for me after i played 4-5 as they had different weapons and the battle moved across the screen instead of going back after every attack.

The crits were kinda cool though... Plus Sacred stones was my first game but still...

So instead of having some units stuck with a default colour scheme, you want nearly every unit to look the exact same but with more different colours and have some units change appearance dramatically after a class change .... Sure go ahead you can have them. plus in hindsight the gba sprites seem kinda like a step-back for me after i played 4-5 as they had different weapons and the battle moved across the screen instead of going back after every attack.

The crits were kinda cool though... Plus Sacred stones was my first game but still...

I'd take variation in colour schemes over variation in heads, if that's what you're asking

​Plus I have a general apprecation for sprite work, especially when it has such a solid art style

But really, I don't see how implementing colour variations in models would even be that much work, especially if it's limited to the base classes' promotions.

It can't be that much more than opening the texture file and playing with the hue and saturation for a bit

You are mistaken. Her armor is black, same as all Weapon Masters.

*cough*Shirtless FÅ«ga says hi*cough*Do we have everyone's unique model/colors by now, or are we still short on a few people?

Edited by BlueSunStudios

*cough*Shirtless FÅ«ga says hi*cough*Do we have everyone's unique model/colors by now, or are we still short on a few people?

We still need someone to check the Nohr characters/Classes.

I believe Elise's Strategist outfit is unique as it seems to be a variation of her regular outfit, though I've only seen it in the class video and a screenshot and I've not seen her as a Maid at all.

Strange that it's a bit of a downgrade from Awakening where if a character kept their color scheme on promotion, they usually kept their color scheme on both promotion paths. (It's a neat callback that Odin keeps his yellow as a Trueblade though.)

...I assume you never promoted Gregor to Hero, then?

It's not so simple even then. I messed around with classes using a GBA emulator, and characters got crazy looks. When they make pallettes for classes, they don't make equivalent colors go into the same place, since the base color for the class (regardless of the army color), is different from the others. This could make a dark knight look like anythink but dark if, for example, Sakura reclassed into one.

That's because the pallets weren't made to be swappable between different classes. With a 3d game not limited by sprites though, they can easily change the hue of any texture. Even if they didn't want to implement some kind of dynamic change, giving different hues to existing textures can be done very quickly in any image editing program. It really shouldn't be hard to make at least say, 10 different hue options for each class and assign one of those generic colors to each character.

Awakening already had blue, red and green variations for most classes, and some characters really should have stuck with the red and green ones even after joining your army, rather than becoming blue.

Edited by NeonZ

...I assume you never promoted Gregor to Hero, then?

They said they usually kept their color scheme and if they kept it on promotion. There were quite a few that didn't: Gregor, Henry, Tharja (who didn't even have one in her base class) and Cynthia just to name a few I know of.

From what it seems, at least one promoted class for almost everyone is unique in Fates. Though, if what they said about the Nohrians is correct, it seems odd that Odin keeps his color scheme even in Samurai, but Luna doesn't as a Hero.

I haven't really checked everyone's color schemes... But so far out of the people I've tested, this is what promotion they keep their color scheme in (only played Nohr so far):

Elise -> Strategist

Arthur -> Hero

Effie -> General

Silas -> Paladin

Odin -> Sorcerer (and Trueblade)

Zero -> Adventurer

Nyx -> Sorcerer

Luna -> Bow Knight

Belka -> Wyvern Lord

Kaze -> Elite Ninja

Lazward -> Hero

Pieri -> Neither...? Has a generic blue for Paladin and Great Knight

Charlotte -> Berserker

Benoit -> General

Siegbert -> Paladin

Foleo -> Strategist

Shigure -> Falcon Warrior

Midoriko -> Great Merchant?

Deere -> Butler

Sophie -> Paladin

Ophelia -> Sorcerer

Soleil -> Hero

Eponine -> Adventurer

With Midoriko, it's hard to tell because she wears blue in both. I might have to double check some of these, but for the most part, I think this is it.

I never got Ignis or Lutz, so I have no idea for them. But if I had to guess, I'd say Ignis would be a General, and Lutz would be a Wyvern Lord. This game doesn't really seem to like Great Knights other than Gunter. We have an overload of 5 Paladins (including Xander, who's not on the list because he's a pre-promote).

Not entirely sure about Deere, but I promoted him to Strategist and he only wore blue, so I assumed he was a butler.

Edited by Carter

I would have thought Pieri would have kept her colors as a Great Knight considering she appeared in the class video as that and in the chapter you fight Marx

After Elise's death

she is a Great Knight.

Does Lutz get his fathers armor as a brave hero when reclassing to a brave hero?

I can't answer that right now, but I'll try to find out when I recruit Lutz.

I would have thought Pieri would have kept her colors as a Great Knight considering she appeared in the class video as that and in the chapter you fight Marx, she is a Great Knight.

The weird thing is, Pieri wears blue in both of her promotions. Paladin, Great Knight, and unfortunately, after checking again, it looks like she has the generic blue color for Paladin. I don't even think Pieri has a personal color scheme for a promotion... which is pretty disappointing.

I'm a bit disappointed Luna doesn't keep her red color scheme for Hero. Axes fit Luna better than Bows.

Yeah, me too. Especially since Awakening had Severa in a red color scheme as a Hero.

Peri = Gregor 2.0

Why is it that all the characters that have mysterious backgrounds have no custom colors for promotion.

EDIT:Anyways, I was going over the Hoshidan characters since Carter has done the Nohrian characters and here is are my findings:

Rinkah-None(Pretty sure she has none since she is the only non-generic Oni in the game)

Sakura-War Miko(I have yet to see here Exorcist class(Which seems generic with everyone)but I know that her War Miko is the same as Mikoto's which is similar to Lissa's case with Emmeryn.Also note, normal War Mikos wear red)(Note 2:I am also getting this from her Cipher artwork)

Hana-Trueblade(Again I have yet to see her in Weapon Master class but I don't think that is custom)

Subaki-I have yet to see Subaki's, but it seems his Falcon Warrior may be custom.

Saizou-Jounin

Orochi-I think it may be Basara but based on her enemy data, she is an Exorcist but Exorcis appears generic on everyone so

Hinoka-Falcon Warrior

Asama-Mountain Priest(Much like Rinkah, he is the only character who is this class so this is just an assumption)

Setsuna-Holy Bowman(This is also an Assumption since I find it hard to see her as a Golden-Kite Warrior but based on the class video and just the fact she is the only female base Bowman)

Tsukuyomi-I don't know but if I had to guess none since Exorcist seems generic regardless and I have not seen any Basara Tsukuyomi

Oboro-Holy Lancer

Hinata-Trublade

Takumi-Holy Bowman

Kagerou-Jounin

Hope I helped.

Edited by Azz01