Aesthetic vs Practicality

Solkia

Aesthetic vs Practicality  

195 members have voted

1. 1. which one do you prefer

• aesthetic
    • practicality
    • either one works

Something I struggle with is character designs. For instance I love Camilla's design, but her heart and legs are wide open.

On the other hand I see character in older games like Danved who are dressed appropriately, but look ugly as hell.

Do you prefer your characters to look appealing or practical?

Edited by Solkia

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uuuh Effie looks like both? The new design for Armor knights are spot on, I'd say the best for the entire series. Fairly Certain only Camilla only dresses like that for the game, but a cool design (on guys or girls) is fine so look as it looks interesting.

Danved isn't horrendous and his armour is kind of cool, what's wrong with you. Talking about Halberdiers, Nephenee's outfit also looks appropriate.

Make a character that can do both, like Ike, for example.

Edited by Soul~!

Aesthetics! I really don't care if someone is dressed appropriately, not one bit.

No one is even dressed inappropriately anyways, imo. I always choose my units based on looks / design (stats too, but that's second).

Danved isn't horrendous and his armour is kind of cool, what's wrong with you.

Make a character that can do both, like Ike, for example.

Dnved just doesn't appeal to me, I'm not claiming he's objectively bad.

It's about finding the golden balance in-between, in my eyes. I'm more in favor of practicality, but that's not to say some of it can't be sacrificed (in moderation) for aesthetics. On a side note, I don't see an issue with somewhat ugly characters existing.

Aesthetic. I've never cared about "immersion" in games, much less in a fantasy setting. Character looks good to me and doesn't have trash growths? I'll probably use them in at least one playthrough.

I feel like Fire Emblem traditionally has more practical designs. I feel like this has an appeal that fits well with the games, but I personally really like some crazy/creative/impractical clothing designs~ The more aesthetically-minded art direction with Awakening/Fates makes it feel unique.

Depends on a lot of things, like the tone of the story.

But the thing is, even if the tone of the story means I like it better when they try for aesthetic rather than practicality, that doesn't mean they pull off a GOOD aesthetic.

Like honestly Camilla's design is so ugly to me. 1/100, complete failure, go directly to fashion school until you can learn to make a design that doesn't look ugly as sin. A bunch of other designs in this look ugly or bland as fuck too. Honestly that makes it so much worse. If you're shooting for realism blandness or uglyness can at least be excused but if you're shooting for aesthetic and fuck up this badly like there is no excuse. You could do whatever you wanted and you decided to shit the bed. So yeah, honestly the fact that this game went for Aesthetic just makes how awful her design is even worse to me. Hire some better artists or fashion consultants please.

Sorry, I went off topic. My point is that both are good but whichever one you choose you have to put in the effort to make it good and can't half ass it.

Personally, I prefer aesthetics, and not just for characters - if I deem a class to be ugly as sin, I'm staying as far away from it as humanly possible *glares at Awakening's Berserker and Sniper designs with the evil eye*.

Edited by Levant Colthearts

If I had to choose one I'd say aesthetics, but I'd prefer a balance honestly. Aesthetics should be about 60% of the focus for the design. Making the units distinct and appealing is important but this a war game so a good bit of practicality is needed.

Aesthetic, completely and utterly.

My only problem with Camilla is that her thong breaks her line flow, it would have been better if she wore a leotard or hell just even a taller thong. Oh and I guess all the armor and classes in the game are still a little weird, with random forks and plates attached for no reason other than to signify "btw they're this class". Like Charlotte having to wear a stupid metal collar because fighters have to wear them for some reason. I am aware the main artist isn't on class design duty.

Either one is fine.As long as they are good characters I don't mind.Like Camilla's outfit is horrendous but she is one of my favourite characters because of her personality and voice and then we have Miriel, one of the few extremely covered women of FEA and I hate her guts.

Camilla's design could be 100% practical through whatever arcane justification and I'd still despise it.​

I prioritise aesthetics over practicality, but Camilla scores horribly in both.

Probably aesthetics. It adds more individuality and flavor to the characters. Just follow the MST3K mantra and you'll be fine, though it's a hell to explain their outfits when writing fanfics.

It's completely possible to make a character who looks practical and aesthetically cool. Take Haar, or Hector, or Minerva. At the very least, their looks should reflect on their class, a knight wears a lot of armour, mages don't necessarily need to. You can take some liberties with it, it is a fantasy game, but you can only go as far as the suspension of disbelief will take you. It's not a thing I'm being super fussy about anymore, since it's something that's inconsequential to the gameplay or story, so whatever.

Edited by Knight

aesthetic + practical >>> aesthetic > practical for me.
So I picked aesthetic here, but those two really don't exclude each other.

I don't find Camilla's outfit aesthetically pleasing though. From waist up it would be okay (one badly drawn belt aside) but the bottom half is such a mess.

Too bad really, since she's otherwise beautiful.

I wonder if Elise gets her outfit through reclass

Edited by Sylphid

I honestly don't care if it's an outfit was created for aesthetic or practicality (but if it fits both, then props to the character and designer), as long as they're not literally wearing 1 or 2 strips of cloth as clothing and the outfit fits with the character's personality and/or position, I'm okay.

As long as it looks practical to me, someone who knows nothing about armour design, that's good enough. Titania's armour looks practical enough, and looks good to boot, but I have no idea if that sort of armour is ceremonial or anything like that. But if a design makes me stop and question its practicality, e.g. Petrine's shoulder armour that juts out way too much, and her upper body armour that exposes her arms, then it really takes me out of the game and I have a harder time being immersed.