Anyone up for petitioning NoA for some minor gameplay changes?

FutureKnightX

Without going into very many spoilers (especially as I am trying to purposefully avoid them myself), there are some aspects of Fates that I feel are held back by Japanese culture when it comes to a release in the West. I'm not saying one culture is better than the other, but I feel these two facts would not go over very well in the West (and I do think most here feel the same):

*Zero and Shara are the only same-sex options. There needs to be at least a few more. Seems a shame the only options are locked into each route (at one each) and happen to be rather psychotic characters. Not to knock on them, but why are the sole two options psychotic? I don't think it would be too hard to write up some of the S conversations and one would think they would just reuse the CGs from the opposite-sex scenes.

*Some of the skinship quotes. Namely, the S-rank ones. I love me some fanservice, but some of those go straight into super pervy territory. I mean, honestly, some of your siblings still call you "brother" or "sister" after you already marry them, not to mention a good deal of these quotes are really sexual. In fact, I think this will already be taken out of international releases, but you never know.

Good idea? Bad idea? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. I just hope it isn't too late, which I think it might be.

If Wikipedia tells me the truth, then about 5% of the population is openly gay (responds as gay to surveys). That's 1 in 20 or 2 in 40, so the representation actually seems pretty accurate to me.

As for S rank supported characters saying pervy stuff when you start touching them, that also seems pretty legit to me. That's what married people do when they start rubbing each other's faces!

I honestly hope they don't change the skinship quotes. I'm aware that they're quite inappropriate, but...

Do you have any idea what NoA does when it tries to censor stuff? God, their effort at censoring Tharja's bikini was an utter disaster. I feel like if NoA tries to change the quotes, they're just going to end up awkward and make the optional material even more of a laughingstock than it already is. Additionally, since this is all optional material, I really don't want NoA pushing back the release date simply to churn out horrible quotes.

(Besides, I actually like some of the quotes. I shit on them a lot, but they're absolutely hilarious. "What are you trying to do to your little brother?" Oh Leo, I love you so.)

I was all for same-sex marriage, and I'm still all for it, but I don't want it if it's going to be a half-hearted effort. It's obvious that the FE creators were reluctant to enforce same-sex marriage without children. Therefore, if they're going to incorporate more same-sex options, they're going to have to develop more sibling support conversations. (If two fathers marry, their two children would have to support.) And you saw even in Awakening that Lucina had the same supports with all of her siblings, and it was irritating to no bounds. I don't want a repetition of that in this game, and since these NoA developers won't be working as closely with the Japanese writers, I feel like the supports would be horribly butchered.

I know I sound a bit harsh, and I'm sorry if I come across that way. I think your ideas are very nice, and I would be all for them...

...but only in theory. I feel like the NoA team would mess up (that isn't to say the localization team is incapable; I'm simply skeptical that a secondary party making changes on a published game could go well...), or even push back the release date, on implementing these changes. Therefore, I can't support you in practice, and I'd have to say that this doesn't sound like the best idea.

If Wikipedia tells me the truth, then about 5% of the population is openly gay (responds as gay to surveys). That's 1 in 20 or 2 in 40, so the representation actually seems pretty accurate to me.

As for S rank supported characters saying pervy stuff when you start touching them, that also seems pretty legit to me. That's what married people do when they start rubbing each other's faces!

While true I've also seen a couple studies show that a much larger percentage of the population is in the closet. Still a minority by all means, but a little fact that I thought was relevant. If we assume that the world of Fates has the same bias ours does, then the current options are about right. If it is more accepting then more options are in order.

As a little side note I've seen 1% of the population being not straight thrown around by anti-gay people, 15% thrown around a few times, 5% most commonly, and once a study that showed 20% (although in that one the scientists had a very broad definition of gay).

If there's more Lesbian options besides an expy of the worst FE character ever, I'd be very, very happy. Chances of that? Close to zero.

Also chances are the skinship quotes are going to be censored at least to some extent.

Regarding same-sex pairings, yeah there should be more options than just the sociopaths, but if that's how it is in the JPN version, then that's how it should be in the western versions. I'm not a fan of gameplay/mechanic changes between different regions of the game.

Regarding the S-rank skinship lines, these will probably be toned down to some extent, but lets not act like these are anything shocking or overly vulgar. They aren't nearly as lewd as people are hyping them up to be. And the chances of this game being rated M because these is absolutely zero.

Posted (edited) · Hidden by Balcerzak, June 28, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Balcerzak, June 28, 2015 - No reason given

Scratch that, didn't read the thread right. Please delete mods.

Edited by Mekalygie

While true I've also seen a couple studies show that a much larger percentage of the population is in the closet. Still a minority by all means, but a little fact that I thought was relevant. If we assume that the world of Fates has the same bias ours does, then the current options are about right. If it is more accepting then more options are in order.

As a little side note I've seen 1% of the population being not straight thrown around by anti-gay people, 15% thrown around a few times, 5% most commonly, and once a study that showed 20% (although in that one the scientists had a very broad definition of gay).

Almost as if sexuality is a spectrum and hard to define, wait...

(I know I'm preaching to the choir here. I'm just having some fun lol)

And as for comparing the population ratios, the only thing that matters when it comes to not going overboard. I think we all agree one option each is kinda too few, especially when they can still be romanced as the opposite sex

And guys, I know this is a long shot by any sense of the word, but I still find these facts to just be lame. Also, how may people are aware that Bravely Default was censored and rather heavily? Aged up the characters, modified some of the skimpier outfits and took out some of the pedo jokes (as in "Ha! Ha! That old man is saying pervy things to a 15 year old girl!" type of jokes).

whether or not the statistics match real life doesn't really matter, these games focus on a (relatively) small group of people and take place in a pretty fantastical setting. More same-sex romances would be a good thing, and they'd hardly destroy the credibility of the setting where you are, y'know, also a dragon

I'd support any kind of letter or petition for that.

I also agree with the op, I think those skinship lines are...probably going to be removed without us doing anything, if not more of that feature. They were pretty cagey about showing the treehouse on, uh, the treehouse stream.

Did they? Homosexuality isn't opposed nearly as much in Japan as it is in the West.

I say it's more equal, just different. They see it more as something you keep to yourself (but straight people can still totally be straight in public >.>). And it's a little hard to see them as being less opposed when even the U.S. has same-sex marriage everywhere now. They just have Shibuya for that, if I am not mistaken.

I say it's more equal, just different. They see it more as something you keep to yourself (but straight people can still totally be straight in public >.>). And it's a little hard to see them as being less opposed when even the U.S. has same-sex marriage everywhere now. They just have Shibuya for that, if I am not mistaken.

I don't think it's even actually marriage there, but a legal equivalent

The Japanese constitution defined marriage waaaaay back in the day and they haven't amended it much. Kind of an uphill battle, unfortunately

whether or not the statistics match real life doesn't really matter, these games focus on a (relatively) small group of people and take place in a pretty fantastical setting. More same-sex romances would be a good thing, and they'd hardly destroy the credibility of the setting where you are, y'know, also a dragon

I also agree with the op, I think those skinship lines are...probably going to be removed without us doing anything, if not more of that feature. They were pretty cagey about showing the treehouse on, uh, the treehouse stream.

its not gonna be removed since it's an optional building you don't ever have to upgrade.

Sorry man, but personally i'd rather have the game localized without any further change on it's content. I'd like to have the same experience as everyone else, so just being able to read what's in the game is enough, no more no less, no matter how they end up rating it (since the contents of games that get censored down to T rated usually get butchered into oblivion in comparison to what they were).

About homosexual relationships in the game, i wish there were more options instead of just one on each path, but i think it's unlikely a change will happen in that regard at this height.

Edited by Lawful Angry

Not only that, but can NoA even modify the game to that extent? Dummying out things and changing some cutscenes is one thing, but dinking with the mechanics? Allowing same-sex marriages on other characters would mean modifying the code to allow them to S-Rank, if I'm correct.

Not that I'm against it, far from it. I'm just viewing this pragmatically.

Not only that, but can NoA even modify the game to that extent? Dummying out things and changing some cutscenes is one thing, but dinking with the mechanics? Allowing same-sex marriages on other characters would mean modifying the code to allow them to S-Rank, if I'm correct.

Not that I'm against it, far from it. I'm just viewing this pragmatically.

They changed some things gameplay wise in previous games (ie: changing effective damage to 2X rather than 3X and lowering the stats of some enemies). This might be a little trickier to implement than that, though.

Honestly the only content change I'd want is another female character to breed with the others so those playing as Mamui won't have to aim for the Kamuisexuals, the children, or Zero to get all the kids. Seems kind of unfair, but I'm not sure how much of the source code they can change so... Yeah. Likely not going to happen.

Also is it unfortunate there are only two options for those swinging the other way with said gender preference being game locked? Sure, but give it time. Like with every social issue it being legalized in a country doesn't mean change happens overnight. It's still progress nonetheless and baby steps generally mean less backlash. And that's just taking the recent debates in the states into consideration. It is still, after all, a Japanese game.

As for skinship... Honestly I hope they keep it with the lewdness in tact. These lines are absolutely hilarious to read at their 'worst' and downright adorable at best. Granted the latter is significantly less common.

Edited by Cerys

I get that realism may not be a big factor to everyone, but I know it matters to some people and it matters quite a great deal to me. While what you said is true, its a fantasy game with dragons and magic, the characters (to my understanding) are still human and I find it considerably easier to accept them and become immersed in the story when they behave like humans. Now I do realize that such a small sample size would allow for quite a bit of variation from population norms, and I also understand that different societies might have varying levels of homosexuality based on culture (I have been led to believe that homosexuality was fairly prevalent and socially acceptable in ancient Rome). But I think the cultures in the game is pretty are pretty clearly based on feudal Europe and Japan where I believe homosexuality was quite taboo (edit: apparently not as much as I originally thought).

I feel that for many people humans acting like humans is important in story telling. Otherwise, we could write off every preposterous thing that happens in any fantasy story as a result of the setting.

Adding a few gay supports wouldn't really bother me, I actually do like them, but adding a bunch would probably make me roll my eyes. I think its important though, that people consider that there isn't an inherent "good" to adding gay supports, it is subjective.

Edited by georgetruman

I'd appreciate 1-2 more options just cuz I'm not too fond of the current two options.

I just don't understand why it matters so much to some if they probably wouldn't even S-Rank a same-sex support anyway.

You neither gain nor lose anything from the option existing. I'm doubtful it would even matter to the story outside of S-Rank support conversations.

I dunno. I'm gay so it's hard for me to say I'm not a little bit disappointed that I won't enjoy that feature of the game as much as most other people who have significantly a bigger list to choose from. Yeah, it's kinda my problem. I hope someone understands.

Don't get me wrong though. I'm thankful it's even there. I still love the game regardless.

Its existence means hope for the future if the whole marriage thing were to come again.

But anyway, I don't really have hope for a petition or changes being made.

Oh. I'm indifferent on skinshipping and all that fanservice.

Edited by Ryuuji

I'm not fond of the idea of the dialogue from either skinship or supports getting butchered but with how backwards the U.S is it wouldn't surprise me if that happened.

Also in terms of Gay options I'd rather see them again in the next game than a half assed attempt in terms of writing or creativity because lets face it making one option a clone of a character from a previous game who was a total fanny of a woman does not give me much faith in them creating other options at this time.

I don't think this petition will work unfortunately not trying be mean just my thoughts on the matter.