Do you ship for love or for stats?

MajorMajora

264 members have voted

1. 1. For what reason do you ship?

• I want my units to be happy
    • Eugenics, baby

I mostly pair units I think have good chemistry. Which is how Ricken!Severa and Kellam!Noire became a thing. However, I'm not above taking advantage of skill inheritances. Which is why anyone who can get galeforce probably does. This is also why Lissa in my M!Playthrough always ends up a FalconKnight.

Since I don't think children will be as important in Fates, I'm doing the same exact thing. But in following playthroughs I might mess around with pairings for hair colors and skills.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up with something similar with my first play-though, both with shipping lonqu and Nowi, for mostly chemistry reasons and partly for better speed and astra. And i also ended up wasting the gale-force fathers, Gaius i think went with sumia, either cause i liked the supports/i ran out of other husbands for her, or a bit of both (think it is this one) And i think i didn't pair donnel, but the gale-force wanting kids already had parents any way. And the good donnel supports already were paired i believe. I had some bad pairings though stat-wise though, but bad for kids isn't that bad overall really.

Yea, I thought Lon'qu and Nowi had one of the best romantic build-ups so once I saw all there supports it was hard not to make them married. It's funny to see someone who else who had the same thought process.

Part of the reason I wasted the Gale Force fathers was I didn't use them (Gaius because he's a thief in a game with few treasure chests; Donnel because I thought he was annoying my first run). It worked out for me though since all the kids I used who could get galeforce did minus Nah, but she ended up being a powerhouse tank so it didn't matter much.

Both, for awakening I married Lon'qu for his speed and as I was reading the supports I actually was glad I married him as a husband. For If however, when I first saw Saizou I immediately knew I was going to marry him. And as for Suzukaze, as I learned more about him I wanted to marry him on my Nohr file so bad, I mean there are a ton of story possibilities with him and...come on...He is freaking handsome!

I always go for pairings that will give good stat mods/skills to the children characters. The only character I favour 'love' more than 'eugenics' with is the avatar. I always marry my avatar to characters I like. Eugenics still play a part though, seeing as I plan ahead and modify my avatars asset/flaw to match or balance out the stats of the character I'm marrying.

Maribelle!Lucina is a beast what you on

I do like that pairing, but Her stats take a rather huge hit on higher difficulties. Add in the loss of the Falchion if you change her class from great lord, and generally it's just easier to use Sumia or Olivia for the galeforce she needs to really wreck havoc. Maribelle!Lucina doesn't have the strength/defense growths to survive lunatic.

Again, that's gameplay mechanics talking though. I've also heard that Maribelle!BrideLucina can be quite the beastly addition though. Might try that next time.

Love and beautiful hair. I did care about stats, just a little, in Awakening when it actually mattered, but since I don't really plan on using the children in Fates (as it's not really affecting the plot in any way) I'm probably only going to pair up the couples I like and think are cute, or just make sense, maybe for different classes because Marx / Hinoka as a fabulous pegasus power couple just to take advantage of skills and such.

One of the main reasons I hoped children characters were nerfed/not as important this time around was so that there'd be no issue with choosing your favorite pairing. It always bugged me that my favorite Chrom pairing (Maribelle) resulted in probably the weakest Lucina due to her being based of Chrom so neither of them had good magic growth. because ehr stats were influenced heavily by the parents, you'd have to be crazy to use Maribelle in any mode other than normal.

What are you talking about, Maribelle!Lucina is actually awesome. She is the strongest support unit in the entire game. Duel Strike+, Dual Guard +, Duel Support +, Galeforce, Tomefaire/Limit Break, make her a Darkflier and give her Celcia's Gale and pair her up with a strong lead unit.

I mean, sure, she's not going to be as broken an lead unit as Sumia!Lucina or Olivia!Lucina (Aether, Luna, Rightful King, Galeforce, Pavise/Vantage/Limit Break), but she has her place.

Edited by TheWerdna

For love, most definitely. I'm of the opinion that any unit can be broken with proper care, (even Maiden!Lucina if you're willing to put in the time and effort to do so), so I don't pay attention to stats. Of course, I also am a completionist, so I go through all the supports I possibly can as I'm going, usually with the aid of a ghost file or two, to make my decisions easier on who has more chemistry with who. Oddly enough though, it always tends to be my first run supports that I ship hardest... I never have had the patience for breeding in Pokemon, and I didn't want to start with Fire Emblem, so I just kept motoring. I think my kids did well, regardless...

Tiki and Robin. All day, every day. Goodness, Tiki!Morgan was a BEAST! Best unit ever!

What are you talking about, Maribelle!Lucina is actually awesome. She is the strongest support unit in the entire game. Duel Strike+, Dual Guard +, Duel Support +, Galeforce, Tomefaire/Limit Break, make her a Darkflier and give her Celcia's Gale and pair her up with a strong lead unit.

I mean, sure, she's not going to be as broken an lead unit as Sumia!Lucina or Olivia!Lucina (Aether, Luna, Rightful King, Galeforce, Pavise/Vantage/Limit Break), but she has her place.

Guard+ and Support+ are bad skills, yo. [Well, not entirely. Guard is bad. Support is mediocre.]

Mari!Luci's more of a Sage.

TF, Galeforce, Aether, Luna, LB

Edited by Airship Canon

I ship for a bit of both, really…

I make allowances for couples that I really like, and then ship for stats/skills for couples that I don't have strong preferences for among the remaining characters.

I'm one of the boring players who ship for eugenics. I sacrificed donnel to tharja just so that noire could get galeforce.

I'm my defence the children look like interesting characters with great designs and I just want them to be at least half usable

It depends. I usually play it waifu simulator 2015 style and pair people based on how good I think they are together. Though, on the highest difficulty I tend to pair for stats.

Guard+ and Support+ are bad skills, yo. [Well, not entirely. Guard is bad. Support is mediocre.]

Mari!Luci's more of a Sage.

TF, Galeforce, Aether, Luna, LB

Fair enough. I still prefer Sumia!Luci or Olivia!Luci running Galeforce, Luna, Aether, RK, and LB. Near 80% proc rate on either Luna or Aether = everything dies.

Edited by TheWerdna

Generally I ship for whoever I think looks good together or have good chemistry in supports. I never really understood inheritance the first time I played Awakening, but all of my units turned out pretty good, regardless. I also tend to prefer certain hair colors on certain kids and tend to just stick with it. Though I didn't in the only time I played as a male in Awakening, I just can't not love Vaike!Severa and Gaius!Nah (though I admit, Lon'qu!Severa is pretty damn good, too, as well as the Lon'qu supports with Cordelia).

I personally find the supports between Chrom and Sumia lackluster, but I'm damn near forced to put them together because of how limited Sumia's other options are and how I prefer them all with someone else.

My main issue with this is taking into account the fact that I don't know how old the characters are because I don't like pairing young characters with ones that seem to be so much older (which may be a problem with Elise once Fates comes out). Trying to make some sort of balance between Lissa, Donnel, Ricken, Maribelle, and Nowi always proves difficult for me since I normally only end up fighting over which one gets Ricken.