Hacker's Hangout [Q22] half baked ideas

ghast

There has been an influx of new members in this section so give us a shout!

So to some new folks, I'm ghast. I've been working on Bloodlines for 1.5 years now and its been great meeting everyone i've met so far.

I don't really remember how i got into hacking and into the rest of this business. I think I stumbled upon a custom animation compilation on youtube and I was like, what the fuck i want to do that.

Then one thing led to another, I joined TEB and FES and posted my sprites, they were bruuuutal at first. Then i got a bit better and once i had the confidence to post on Serenes Forest, I well... did lol. Then I started to dabble in hacking and eventing through arch's tutorials and the UT. Then month or so after, bloodlines happened. And now, here we are!

Howdy all! This is just a thread to socialize, give yourself an introduction, talk about your day, what you're up too, how you got into hacking blablabla. Just post here!

also, if you want to ask a question, post here and I may or may not pick it for the next Current Question

Edited by Ghastly

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm basically I thought Devourer of Worlds was cool?

Then I joined FES, started making maps since it looks like the easiest form of spriting/making things for hacks, then read the UT to learn how to insert and basically left there since I can't figure out what I actually want to do in a hack. Oh and I joined FES first since it seemed like the more relaxed place at the time, eventually joined SF so I could post some hacking questions.

Got into hacking after seeing videos of MageKnight404's FE7 hack and it made me want to try making my own FE games as well all the way back then. I think I joined old FEU the week it was created which was pretty lucky for me since it was a great resource of tools an knowledge.

For hacking related stuff I'm working on now, making lots of palettes for reclassing is annoying :/ I should've tried to make a hack with less characters!

I started doing sprites like 3 years ago and eventually ended up doing FE stuff for reddit friends. I came to SF to get better at sprites and then also got interested in the ROMhacking section. I got inspired to try and make my own hack after last year's FEE3.

Right now I'm working on making everything suck less. Mostly music atm and thinking about how to insert hella exposition.

Well, I was watching some ragefest videos one day, probably around the time TLP released the "final version," and thought to myself: "Why the hell can't I make a Fire Emblem game of my own? I mean, you have people like Blazer who've already made millions of games, and translated one, so why can't I be like him!?" Then I went to FES (Obviously enough, I was a HUGE Blazer Fanboy), downloaded all of the required programs and such, and thought up the original idea for HOA. At the time, it was a SHITTY reskin of FE8, not one line of text even edited. It followed one main character, who was me, with my original OC, which has been lost to the ages (Still a big thank you to Smashed for making it) fighting people for fun, because he was a badass. I didn't know nearly as much as I do now, and even though I was an arrogant little bitch at the time, I'm happy I started off how I did.

Speaking of Bloodlines, I remember when you first introduced Orange and I to Bloodlines xD

Edited by Matt Custov

I remember a couple of years ago I was talking with Markyjoe about FE hacking, so I joined this site, but I was too young to sit still and get down with the tutorials. I stopped out of nowhere from about 5 years ago then since about a year ago, I came back to FE scene after Awakening came out. I was hooked on Awakening and remembered that FE hacking was a thing so I came back and checked out to see how much progress everyone made. To my surprise, The Last Promise wasn't Tactics Universe and was completely finished, Elibean Nights was practically finished and many other hacks I had never heard of that looked incredible had come out of the woodwork. It got me really excited, thinking, "well, if all these people can do something so incredible, I can at least give it a shot." Unfortunately due to lack of time I hadn't been able to sit down and solidify a story that I have written. So, in the mean time I've occasionally come on and posted mostly on concepts to help those that ARE doing something move along their project. Recently, I did a beta test for Scions of Kings, mainly for the text and directional writing. I hope to do more with it, as I have many things I have to show Oreo in regards to the hack.

That's my story, so now you know. Move onto another, give us a show!

Edited by Jun Suzuki

I forgot which hack I played first (probably MK404's or Devourer of Worlds), but my response as to why I started to hack was the same as Matt's: "If others can make a game, can't I?"

So I tried to do just that in the form of FE: Rising War. Too bad it didn't get too far; Hacking just wasn't for me, honestly. I would much rather write a novel then work my ass off just for a dreaded white screen, which was then shortly accompanied by really annoying noises.

Now that I'm older, though, I could pick it back up ;)

Edited by PixelmanFE

Now that I'm older, though, I could pick it back up ;)

Hey, I'd love to have you on the team for HOA xD

Why do so many hackers that have so much potential quit for no reason? It makes me very sad

Hey, I'd love to have you on the team for HOA xD

Why do so many hackers that have so much potential quit for no reason? It makes me very sad

You can ask me for icons and some portraits anyday, haha.

I think it's because they bite more than they chew. They (the 'hackers with so much potential') promise full, 32 chapter top notch quality chocolate hacks, but give up because it's simply too much work for them.

Also, laziness. A lot of people just do not have the motivation.

Edited by PixelmanFE

That's my story, so now you know. Move onto another, give us a show!

*rolls up sleeves* You asked for it.

I grew up with the Fire Emblem series and I've always loved video games as a whole. At first I played them for escapism throughout my life since school was awful for me; I was that quiet kid who sat in the back of the room with nothing but pimples and daydreams. I was first introduced to hacking when I was killing time on YouTube one day. I think saw a video for someone's custom animation (similar to how Ghast started out, it seems. Nice!) in the related videos tab and I was impressed. I connected the dots that you couldn't do that kind of thing with a Gameshark, so I looked up "Fire Emblem Modding" and then the whole world of "hacking" revealed itself. My inner nerd gasmed twice (It was kinda like one of those double sneezes, ya know? Yeah, it was actually more jarring than pleasurable... :KnollRoll: ) as I downloaded all the tools I'd need to make my own completely custom hack. It was to be glorious; fully customized portraits and deep fleshed out characters who would hold a place in your heart by the time their story concluded. A cunning plot, full of twists and turns that'll leave you at the edge of your seat, backed up by unique and challenging gameplay made you feel the pressure as if the characters' plight was your own.

So I opened up various tutorial and began construction. I made a portrait and it sucked. I made map and it sucked. I made a chapter with custom events and it was so fuckin amazin I was so happy- No no, it sucked, too. I sat there with my lofty vision and the turd that manifested from it and felt demoralized. I think I quit for a month or so, but then I felt the urge to create again. I took a metaphorical knife to my lofty vision, still trying for a custom story and all that, but with it's scope massively reduced. Still sucked. School and life taught me that if you failed at anything on your first try, then you're stupid but you should probably keep trying, but if you keep failing then you're a fucking idiot and should be ashamed, so I went ahead and did that, dropping FE hacking for about five years...

Then a lot of trauma and personal growth happened and I'm back and ready to hack! So, with the new perspective I gained from being five years older and wiser than when I first tried to make a hack (and because I was dissatisfied with Radiant Dawn and how it handled game balance, even though I thought it handled it the best out of all the FE games) I decided I would just make changes to the gameplay and see how far I could go with it in FE7. Then I'd go bite the bullet and learn how to program. I've tried before, but it's always been tough for me (but that just means I haven't tried hard enough yet, yeah?). I made it pretty far, I suppose. I cut all the RNG out of a game that relied on it for almost everything while giving it a good sense of progression and challenge (well, the first 10 chapters at least, so far). Who woulda thunk?

That's my story and I hope it constitutes a show tonight.

*bows*

Good day

I think it's because they bite more than they chew. They (the 'hackers with so much potential') promise full, 32 chapter top notch quality chocolate hacks, but give up because it's simply too much work for them.

That's exactly what got me, except I was more self-defeating than lazy. But don't get me wrong, I was quite lazy at the same time. heh. Everyone's got their own personal demons that try to murder their dreams. The hackers you're talking about either faced their demons and lost or found out that hacking just isn't their cup of tea and moved along. That's my guess, anyway.

Edited by jgrand

You can ask me for icons and some portraits anyday, haha.

Honestly, that may be me, aside from the fact that I'm only planning 25 chapters for HOA, 5 of which are done.

Well, of course it has to be your Bloodlines Sprites <3

But to be more specific, in regards to sprite animations, probably Mal's in Bloodlines.

For portraits, perhaps anything from Dream of Five, cause I just think the sprites look beautiful.

Edited by Jun Suzuki

It's a three way tie between the puppy from your hack, the griffon knight by Blue Druid, and MetalFlygon08's universal dragon.

Part of what I like about the third one is that it definitely bypasses the lack of compatibility Manaketes in FE7 :p.

Edited by MidnightStar

Umm favorite? Probably the original Trueblade animation that Shadow of Chaos posted on his youtube channel but has now deleted, though mostly out of nostalgia.

Which do I think would be the best? Probably this sprite Nih showed me a couple of days ago, though I don't know if she's posted it/shown it to most people.

lol @ my anims

my favorite spritework is rising Solaris' mug of Kylah (the kitty portrait in bloodlines) like its a fuckin' cat! so cool.

animation wise, I think the halberdier from TBA. i think that's the one at least, there's like 10 of them. I think that animation was truly ahead of its time.

Anything by AK has me with her absurd attention to detail and smart use of colours. Battle sprites? I had the pleasure of seeing Lumi's Thyra battle animation which was madddd

if they are really subtle and not like "yes! now i can finally marry my waifu/ husbando!"

comedy hacks like zhack are okay for selfies in my books. usually comedy hacks are self aware anyways soo

I think its fine to base characters off yourself and other people but straight up putting yourself in a game is kinda weird, unless the game is meant to be less than serious.