Hacker's Hangout [Q22] half baked ideas

ghast

or if they're used as a sort of timer, like saving the unit who's being poisoned/burnt then I think they work nicely.

holy shit that's a good idea actually

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traps seem to be a mildly annoyance any time, to be honest.

There's no real trap that make you say "CRAP" and has to make you reset.

Worst example ever of traps would be the pokemon army that could come down in your face in PMD. You had so many chances to die because of that random BS.

FE never handled traps really well.

I think the best use of traps are on a time limit map, and making it almost impossible not to get into a trap.

This way it's really hard to heal off anything they do to you without losing turns that could be precious in the end.

That would make up for the most annoying but fun experience for the player instead of a simple "oh I lost 5 HP, healer!".

how about them wall traps in FE6 that always seemed to do no damage since they didn't ignore defense

also I agree with the above, and you know you could put monster houses into FE hacks for kicks (and rage)

Edited by Lamia

Getting noticed by Ghast is a dream come true

;D

how about them wall traps in FE6 that always seemed to do no damage since they didn't ignore defense

also I agree with the above, and you know you could put monster houses into FE hacks for kicks (and rage)

i love the idea of wall traps, and I'm actually wondering if FE7 has wall traps too since fe6 and fe8 has them

• 2 weeks later...

;D

i love the idea of wall traps, and I'm actually wondering if FE7 has wall traps too since fe6 and fe8 has them

Way, way late, but FE7 does have wall traps in one chapter. It's Hector Ch. 30: The Berserker (where you're running through that cave looking for Armads).

Didn't Matthew's Nightmare already use the "trap as timer" idea in its second part?

As for how I'd use traps, I've... got one idea and that's it. To be honest, I don't particularly like them and would leave them out of my hack except under very specific circumstances. And even then I'd look for other ideas first.

So, say you've got a large chamber where almost all of the floor is covered by fire traps (that take say a quarter of your health). You can't get right across it in one move, or even two, so you've got to land on the handful of "safe" tiles scattered about. The safe tiles are visually distinctive; I'm not that sadistic. But, did I mention the enemy ballistae lining the room, with lots of ammo? And that no two of the safe tiles are together, so stave healing becomes somewhat more awkward?

It might not be all that great from a gameplay perspective (and darn annoying to properly implement without it becoming obnoxious to the player), but it would be good for story purposes. And because of the scarcity of the safe tiles, it would force the player to choose to either dribble their forces over and try to take out those ballistae before the healers make the journey, or ensure near everyone takes damage in one big charge (not a good idea with those ballistae who will almost certainly be targeting Ms Valkyrie or Mr Bishop).

So yeah, one big delaying tactic; slow down or risk losing people. And to make sure you go though most of your vulnerary/elixir stock in this one room if you choose the latter.

• 5 weeks later...

Your halfiest half-baked hack idea: did you have a concept or functioning mechanic that you cut out because, hold on, this is actually stupid. Unnecessary?

I had planned out an arc that dealt with a spy and an engineer sneaking around castles until my legendary buddy, Siuloir, said.

Stealth and FE just don't go well together.

You guys?

Also, I was thinking we could do some sort of random weekly draw like thing where you can enter to ask the next question if you answer the current one. So if I answered the current question, I would say

"Put me in, coach" or something, and at the end of the week or something, whoever wins the draw can ask the next one.

Thoughts?

Edited by ghast

I wrote up a breakdown of my more half-baked ideas from EN about a year and a half ago on FEU, felt like it would be worth re-sharing:

One of the most oft-cited design flaws was the giant ambush spawn in Lyn's Tale. Basically, the entire enemy force got to move first, which drew some negative criticism. Letting the enemies move first outright is, in my opinion, an interesting mechanic (moreso in a 30-chapter game with maps varying which faction moves first), but with ambush spawns already a point of contention, this might've taken things a bit too far. I've since made the spawn an ambush only on hard mode.

Karel's Tale is also kind of iffy from a sheer design perspective. It was originally inspired by playing the boss gauntlet in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, interestingly enough. One of those cases where something feels better conceptually than it does in practice. I added the first map in Bern as a response to criticism that the chapter felt like an extended cutscene, since "boss battles" are difficult to represent in Fire Emblem. There's only so much you can do to make a one-vs-one fight tough without either being too easy or too difficult; it veers from one to the other quite easily. Deranger suggested diversifying Karel's inventory, which adds a new layer of strategy to the gameplay, and I've since added onto that with additional item drops.

That same tale also features another mechanic that I enjoyed implementing in EN: the forced loss. This first appeared with Karel vs. Kaherdin, but that "forced" loss became the subject of an achievement later on. Similarly in Raven's Tale, I've since added a prompt to surrender due to criticism about the obscure nature of the chapter's ending condition. After surviving for the set number of turns, the map just got rid of the turn count. There's also an achievement incentive to survive ten more turns without surrendering, but the map left players with the most attractive option being: just let everyone die. It's a good narrative device, but a poor gameplay design in retrospect.

Karel's and Raven's tales are examples of the creativity enabled by EN's structural setup, but also show that just because you have a unique format that enables you to innovate with chapter design, that doesn't mean it'll always turn out well. There's always room to refine, and, in retrospect, I should've considered the implications of those designs more extensively from the outset (rather than designing around the narrative aspects and then addressing gameplay issues further down the road).

The original post was written "in honor of EN's pending completion", LOLOLOLOLOL.

Edited by Arch

I thought about making a mode 7 section but ultimately said fuck it because it's be too annoying to get working

Mode 7 for animation? What were you planning?

• 2 months later...

I have plenty of half-baked ideas myself, (it includes berserk and FE), but I decided to take it slow, I've done some minor personal hacks of other games, (mostly easy to access ones, like Delver and other misc games that no where approaches the complatixies of FE hacks), so I'm focusing on first drafting the storyboards and characters then designing a class system, then looking over how many chapters in theory it should take

• 3 weeks later...

list of failed ideas I made but just bombed:

-change faction dragon, he would always glitch out no matter what I did to prevent it.

-higher rate to trigger reversal devil weapons.

-big map chapters, just can't make them work and they are horrible to event for.

ideas I may or may never do due to pain in the ass eventing/annoying gameplay:

- Ballroom Blitz, a room were swordmasters move in a circle like they are dancing and you have to navigate through them. it was a pain to event for so I gave up

- Spike traps, basically step on tiles to load soldiers in a maze like line holding urber spears to stab units standing in the wrong tile. it was unreasonably cruel so I axed that idea.

- Flooding; desert edition. tiles change to sand tiles during a sandstorm which would slow the player down so instead of instant slow like rain, the player would realize they was losing valuable cross-able terrain and should use it before it's gone and they are stuck in a slog. (might still do this one)

- Sandman with a twist, it is a queen and she is a npc that randomly spawns around sleeping enemies. it was a way to allow players to sneak past the guard and steal keys.

- sinking ship chapter or a moving ship chapter. yes a unit could go over board if the unit was standing at the back of the ship tile and it moved. (may still do this one later)

- stack-able fire traps, they usually go unnoticed by the player.

Those are the ones I can remember.

edit: oh yeah, I had npcs walk around a town like map and the player was suppose to spot and catch a snitch. was suppose to be a kid that was secretly a grown man and everything. attacked the wrong npc and guards to elite guards would show up to subdue you. could not get npc death quotes to work back then using a code that only worked for blue units

Edited by MrNight48

• 6 months later...

i am a fan of fire emblem and got into hacking from working on pokemon hacks and i thought 'you know map design is my specialty so why not work on some fire emblem hacks?'

as for half baked ideas how about a sleeping enemy unit that will wake up if you move more then 3 squares around him?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2017 at 5:42 AM, Kabby said:

It's being worked on already.

Please, tell me where.

On 4/24/2017 at 5:42 AM, Kabby said:

It's being worked on already.

Please, tell me where.

I had this idea for a new magic triangle thing with 7 different kinds of magic.

Fire: Strong against Lightning, Light and wooden material (trees and ballista,) weak to Water.

Water: Strong against Fire, Light and Ground, weak to Lightning.

Lightning: Strong against Water, Wind and Light, weak to Fire and Ground.

Wind: Strong against Flying Units, weak to Lightning, and Light.

Ground: Deals physical damage, strong against Lightning, weak to Water and Light.

Light: Strong against Dark, Wind and Ground, weak to Fire, Water and Lightning.

Dark: Strong against Fire, Water and Lightning, weak to Wind, Ground and Light.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this idea for a game taking place a few thousand years after Fire Emblem 6 where Elibe is going through late a renaissance period or an early industrial revolution in terms of technology and culture. 

• 1 month later...

Probably not possible but I will still say it.

How about turning a GBA FE room into a MMO? Like, you create a main character and crew and fight agaisnt other main characters and crews?

Become a bandit, Illian knight, berserk, Nabatan pilgrim and whatever.

Yeah, I'll shup up.

1 hour ago, Paillan said:

Probably not possible but I will still say it.

How about turning a GBA FE room into a MMO? Like, you create a main character and crew and fight agaisnt other main characters and crews?

Become a bandit, Illian knight, berserk, Nabatan pilgrim and whatever.

Yeah, I'll shup up.

because we all know the gba has online capacibility