Hacker's Hangout [Q22] half baked ideas

ghast

Idk if this is the place to post this but it seems perfect for it. I recently read a topic in these forums and I noticed that in one topic several people stated that they're tired of evil cults being behind everything. So I think I'm going to change the plot on what i'm working on a bit.  :-_-:

Edited by Sweet_Basil

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a dumb idea that will probably never get noticed and will take a lot of work... but I'd like to see a Weapon Triangle mod for FE1 / FE3. Seriously, I'm always sending Cord up on knights and getting him killed, or dismounting Cain so he can fight a pirate, or other stupid things because post-Genealogy FE has messed with me hard. And if you think I'm better off playing  Shadow Dragon, keep in mind that it has roughly a $15.00 price tag and certain unobtainable items. Actually, I'd also like a "more promotions mode" patch...

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all!

I am a writer looking to collaborate in a serious way with people in the FE fan-hacking community. My assumption is that several of you are very good on the technical side but not really adept when it comes to story, dialog, and character arcs. I'm the opposite...passionately interested in storycraft but woefully inadequate when it comes to making things look good and play well.

Attached is a writing sample - my background is screenwriting, so I hope the format is acceptable (we can work on that). This isn't a pitch for a game; its just a demonstration that I can generate decent script pages within a decent time limit (in this case, 12 hours)

Please get back to me with questions, feedback, ongoing projects, etc. 

Ta <3

FE sample script.pdf

• 3 months later...

Has anyone tried to do a hack that follows the story of Robert's Rebellion from A Song of Ice and Fire? I feel like that plot is kind of perfectly suited to a Fire Emblem game. Robert and Ned could be lords, and the journey could start at the Tourney of Harrenhal or something.

I haven't thought this all the way through, but it could a be really fun project for someone who has the time and resources to make it happen. 

EDIT: It occurred to me that magic might be a difficult thing to incorporate into the ASOIAF world at the time of Robert's Rebellion, but I feel like we could make it work. The priests from the faith of the Seven could use light magic, woods witches could use anima, and R'hllor worshippers could use dark magic? Something like that maybe. 

Edited by Maxspir

• 2 months later...

I think my random ideas could fit into this thread, so...

In this world, people with white hair exist. They are very rare, and are seen both as having divine dragon blood and are treated as outcasts anyway.The most common fate for them is kidnapping and sold into slavery... of any kind. Slave hunting group exist specifically for this purpose, since by catching a nice looking white haired girl you could make a lot of money.

Far away from the plains where the slavery happens, high in a snowy mountain, is a kingdom where white hair is seen as normal and attractive. After all, the royal family has many white haired members. This kingdom also has a famous university, where Fio studies alchemy, Fio is a young girl who has a normal student's life. School, hanging out with friends, and that nice guy in her class... Until one day, she meets a runaway slave and a former slave hunter.

Macks is a teen boy (16 years) who recently joined a slave hunting group. It's a secret - he just wants some money to help his family, and he knows his hard working parents wouldn't want him doing something as shady and dangerous as slave hunting. After all, the white haired have their strange and dangerous powers, the rumours go. Macks knows it will be violent, but he doesn't realise how violent it could get, until he is forced to capture  young girl, Titania (12) and rout her family. In a hack or game, the slave hunters murdering Titania's family would be the very first chapter.

Anyway, Macks takes pity on Titania and he decides to help her escape by making the journey to the supposed kingdom where the white-haired are not feared. Along the way they meet Fio, although I'm not sure exactly how. Fio is shocked by the way white haired people are treated outside the kingdom and tries to help them. Macks ends up in a conflict with his parents over the fact he ran away - with a white haired girl!, although that is resolved in the end.

And that's the story so far. There are a few other things about the story that I know, they're mainly themes or goals.

• Neither Titania nor Macks ever become activists - they're just average people running away from a bad place. There's no overthrowing, trying to convince people to change their views, or political action. Fio is upset by what she finds out, but she also doesn't become an activist. So it's quite a small-scale, personal story.
  • The royal family, on the other hand, eventually do get involved in Titania's story, and they probably start accepting white haired people as refugees. Maybe this could start a war with some other countries or something, which could be the second part of the story.
  • Titania, Macks and Fio do become involved in the war, although all three find it pretty depressing. "We just want to live our lives in peace!"

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone, 

I'm trying to make a Fire Emblem game that runs on Sacred Stones! I've been working on characters and maps on and off for roughly 2 years! The only thing I am in dire need of is someone who is willing and able to transfer these ideas of mine into coding so that I can publish a full fledged Fire Emblem fan game! Here are some examples of my work so far. What do y'all think?

26x.png

A.png

C.png

Alex.png

Angel.png

New Abram.png

output.png

Sarahie.png

• 7 months later...

On 5/27/2019 at 6:07 AM, Isaac Stardust said:

Hello everyone, 

I'm trying to make a Fire Emblem game that runs on Sacred Stones! I've been working on characters and maps on and off for roughly 2 years! The only thing I am in dire need of is someone who is willing and able to transfer these ideas of mine into coding so that I can publish a full fledged Fire Emblem fan game! Here are some examples of my work so far. What do y'all think?

26x.png

A.png

C.png

Alex.png

Angel.png

New Abram.png

output.png

Sarahie.png

Sorry mate, gonna need more details, like where are you starting on the map and what kinda mission you are supposed to do. 

Lets take the Second for example, cause I think it pops out the most. If it like some escape mission where you start in like the east and need to make it to the west, with those chest up top being added bonus for taking the risk, it could be great. However if it like a route mission where you gotta kill everyone and one side finishes up but can't help the other side cause I notice that the top does not connect, It can border on annoying at best and frustrating at worst. 

Do you at least see what I am getting at, how these details can change the (very subjective) enjoyment of a level?

• 1 month later...

I have the notion of a sort of Morality system, something that could and SHOULD have been seen in Fates.

Shura was actually a good example of this, and is about as close as we got to my idea.

But take a enemy boss, sort of a freedom fighter, at first glance he's just a rebel but through context we can learn about him and his cause. Once beaten the player may be presented with a choice on saving or sparing him. Sparing him may allow him to appear later on as an ally, or possibly be recruited while killing him may gain rewards, or it may not. 

Allowing the player some choice in the actions and morality of the protagonist leads to interesting roads for them, especially if it can be tracked properly. Why spare X but not Y later on? Did group A deserve to live while group B was punished? Varying paths with multiple results.

If done right, and it is likely a monster to properly imbed into something like a GBA rom, but XNA or SRPG studio might allow for more flexibility.