So...about overworld grinding...

Ben14

I have two questions.

1) Is it as elaborate and beneficial as it was in Awakening? Reeking Box type things? Opportunities for mass experience growth by fighting enemies at many different levels?

2) Is there any sort of Overworld Map like this in the 3rd route that allows for the same things?

In the Hoshido path, there is an option on the world map called "seek the enemy". You select a map tile, then pay an amount of gold to summon an enemy encounter to that space. The strength of the enemy and the cost of the encounter depends where on the map you put it, with the locations of later chapters generally costing more and giving more exp.

Enemies don't give huge amounts of EXP, and you'll find that if you're about six or seven levels higher than the enemies in the encounter you won't get more than 1-5 exp per kill. However, you can pay to put two encounters on the same space, placing two bosses on the same map and therefore making grinding a bit more efficient. It is much more efficient than Awakening because by midgame you'll make about 3000-4000 Gold per encounter, then a bullion from Lilith, which is greater than the cost of the average encounter.

So I'd say it is more effective than Awakening but much less so than the Tower of Valni in FE8, where you were guaranteed 2-3 levels everytime you did the first floor.

Note that grinding isn't always the answer in Hoshido, though, because everyone a crap growths and there are limited master seals.

As for question number 2, there is a map in the Third Path, but I don't know if it has Seek the Enemy.

Edited by gayserbeam

Wait can't you just buy master seals from my castle?

When your magic shop gets to gold (I think around chapter 21 is when you can do so), you can buy infinite master seals, but not before (it's in limited quantities).

However, you can go to other people castles and buy a seal there so if you have internet access and don't mind "gaming the system", you can have your infinite amount of seals at any time.

You can buy seals at other people's castles but you can only buy one thing from each castle per bout, and most people already bought theirs, so you have to just keep checking people's late-game castles over and over for seals. It can be slow but is a nearly infinite source of seals and resources.

Edited by gayserbeam