Super Disappointed

dragonlordsd

So, I did a count of all the characters available in the Birthright version of the game.

Total count?

38!

That's the least of any game in the series, less even than sacred stones. It's a full 11 less than awakening. So, basically, it's like Awakening, without any children characters.Assuming that Nohr has about the same number, this means that individually, each game is the smallest in the series.

I know that the games aren't defined simply by the number of playable characters, but still. The development team promised that each game would be "awakening sized" but based on everything we've seen so far, that seems to be very untrue.

To add insult to the injury, a good number of those characters are awakening clones, which means we're getting repeats of the same characters. No character development, mind you, just repeating the exact same lines.

Edited by dragonlordsd

@dragonlordsd

You probably already knew this, but it's Awakening-sized based solely on length. Personally, I'm fine with the small cast of characters because in every FE game I've played I only use my 12 or so favorite characters and I end up feeling super disappointed when I get to the final chapter and realize that I only used a fairly small fraction of the characters. Besides, if both Hoshido and Nohr had a cast of Awakening's size, imagine how much work would have to go into character design,supports, personalities,etc. Hoping for so many characters was a little unrealistic.

EDIT: To be fair, the "clones" actually do get a fair bit of development. I.E.: The avatar's S support with Luna, Odin and Lazward's supports and even the Awakening DLC.

Edited by Mr. Myrmidon

A good number? Out of every single character, 3 are clones, and 3 are actually the same. So if you want to split hairs they're the same, but whatever, they're not clones. Then in the third route, assuming you join up with everyone, you get like 76 or so units. That's crazy high, probably the highest in any game yet. It's definitely higher than Awakening.

Also from what I hear, even having 10 units or so is really hard to do, so only having 40ish units seems reasonable.

Then be glad in the third path you will be getting roughly 60 units

That's a full 11 more than awakening

Also apparently there are 28 chapter story chapters in each campaign (including endgame) whereas awakening only had 26.

Well, sure, the third path gives you characters from both, but as far as I know, you can't just straight buy the third path and skip the other two, can you?

Also, when did the battles get so small that you only use a measly 12 units?! Seriously, the old games had you using 15-20 units per battle.

Edited by dragonlordsd

And that's... bad for some reason?

No seriously, I can't actually see why the number of characters matter. Having a super large cast means that some characters are going to be shit anyways and a few are going to be shelved even despite being good units. This is a fairly reasonable cast size for a game like this I think and I have trouble seeing the problem.

Well, sure, the third path gives you characters from both, but as far as I know, you can't just straight buy the third path and skip the other two, can you?

Sure but you get more time playing with the characters you have at hand at least this time around, since they all join fairly early-midway. Other than that it is deliberate as well given the third path, as well as the S-rank feature for children.

As some have said, having a slightly smaller cast isn't really a bad thing. Heck, even with that amount, you probably still have more than than you can use.

I mean, how many units do you think you likely never use at all in Radiant Dawn?

Probably for the best​

You can only have so many characters before the writing starts to suffer. Look at how bland Radiant Dawn's supporting cast was

Agreed. But speaking of writing suffering, they are reusing characters. Seriously. They are exactly the same. I mean, I'll take bland characters who are at least different, or development of existing characters, but this....

Balance issues? What does that even mean?

Take our favorite game for example.

Dieck and Oujay exist, Dieck is like superior to Oujay in every way, while people may like Oujay through his supports. In something like FE if you aren't going for favorites and pure stats, Dieck beats the tar out of him.

This is one example.

Edited by Jedi

Balance issues? What does that even mean?

Quality over quantity. You'd have to balance the game more overall with say difficulty depending on the viability of X amount of characters. While some just end up as being bench warmers, I can't imagine too many characters being used in Nohr route for instance (as of playing) since there are missions with more limited amounts of characters and without any way to grind.

Grinding is another issue, sure a fat cast might work in Hoshido but it won't work for Nohr since it doesn't have a free map to level up.

Seriously, the old games had you using 15-20 units per battle.

Such as? I have played FE6 through Awakening and not once can I recall chapters with maps so large that I was able to deploy that many units.

Actually, FE4 had fewer playable characters. Only about 20 units per generation IIRC.

Such as? I have played FE6 through Awakening and not once can I recall chapters with maps so large that I was able to deploy that many units.

FE4

Edited by The Geek

Are you seriously counting creature campaign characters as full characters for sacred stones? (Cause sacred stones has 33 full characters) Really in that case every capturable boss in the game should be added to that list if your counting those characters. (And that would add 9 for nohr and 8 for Hoshido) And my numbers for the Hoshido route was 41 not 38, and for awakening 3 characters out of 41 is not a large number, and on character development either read their supports or if you don't want spoliers stop talking out of your ass. Or if you did read them, the character development (differences for the hoshido ones) is debatable of course but them having the exact same lines or IS not trying something new with them is pretty much wrong.

I actually appreciate the smaller cast. The writing incorporates a good deal of them pretty well into the story so you never really feel like someone's been forgotten (like in RD, for example.) The supports are so far pretty nice, and I prefer having a smaller core force with which to tackle chapters. I cannot see the problem with a smaller cast and even if I did, this would be rectified in the third path which I believe has a bigger total than RD AND the inclusion of full supports.

This is good. I'd much rather have an army of useful (and hopefully interesting) characters than an army of bench warmers. Having a lot of characters makes the game balance really messy, like in FE6 and FE10. Also, why can't people just be appreciative that we are getting two (and even a third) Fire Emblem games?

The character roster is not so small as to be worth complaining about, and yeah it is definitely not the smallest in the series. Furthermore, given that you can buy two routes and get like twice that many characters for only one-and-a-half times the price of a full game total, it's hardly a fair comparison anyway.

As for deployment, it's the same as Awakening: capped at 16 (under normal circumstances) but typically a bit less.

Well, no complaints from me there. It's nice to have lots of possible combinations in battle and supports alright, but i'd rather have fewer, but well developed/useable, characters than a shit-ton of shallow/worthless ones (i'm looking at you, FE 6).

Edited by Lawful Angry

Well, no complaints from me there. It's nice to have lots of possible combinations in battle and supports alright, but i'd rather have fewer, but well developed/useable, characters than a shit-ton of shallow/worthless ones (i'm looking at you, FE 6).

To be fair FE6's at least have a number of interesting supports. Unlike Awakenings one note for the majority of their supports, there are exceptions to this rule obviously, and it had been awhile since they wrote supports. At least Fates seems to be fixing this.

Why would you rather have a great amount of bland characters instead of a handful of awesome ones? Did you use everyone in past FE games?

Tbh FE's 4-9 all had a nice developed roster with the benefit of the lover/talks/support system.

Edited by Jedi