Super Disappointed

dragonlordsd

I actually like FEs with lots of characters, makes it more fun on repeat playthroughs.

This is the boon for tons of characters.

I think there are pros and cons to both more and less.

Tbh FE's 4-9 all had a nice developed roster with the benefit of the lover/talks/support system.

Radiant Dawn also had some fine characterisation, if lacking in quantity.

Radiant Dawn also had some fine characterisation, if lacking in quantity.

Sadly yeah, I really wish we got more on the Dawn Brigade.

I actually like FEs with lots of characters, makes it more fun on repeat playthroughs.

Well your repeat playthroughs involve different paths with different scripts and scenarios, as well as a different set of characters (save 3rd route wherein you'll have your fest of toons).

"Tbh FE's 4-9 all had a nice developed roster with the benefit of the lover/talks/support system."

For the most part i would agree but the earlier ones still had some might as well be generics, just started to play 4 so i don't about that one but on 5 you still had "characters" like kain, alba and Robert who i believe only have death quotes, escaped quotes and endings, sure the endings told me they had personalities, but i would like it if i actually got to see any of it in the game. Show don't tell. As long as we don't go back to having those types of characters and still had non radiant dawn support convos, I would be fine if every support was about pie (not that the Pie thing isn't blown way out of proportion, cause it is.) or the character's main character trait, as long as they had some semblance of differing personalities during it.

Yeah, FE5 did not have a developed roster at all, and I'd argue neither did FE4. It was only with FE6 that they even really started to give more than a handful of characters the kind of attention we expect today.

Well your repeat playthroughs involve different paths with different scripts and scenarios, as well as a different set of characters (save 3rd route wherein you'll have your fest of toons).

That's only 3 playthroughs though. I've played through RD about 5 times and I still haven't used every character, even before the endgame ones.

I care more about the uniqueness of each character. And that they have some sort of personality. Not just, generic soldier becuz war for srs.

Though its mostly aesthetics for me. Ill use amazing cool girl x over really effective lame ass Y any day.

The only characters that get development in FE4 are Sigurd, Lewyn, and a handful of villains. Everyone else is pretty generic.

i would disagree with that, sure it has more generic guys then most people admit, but i would hardly say it is just those people you named that are not. Though i only read trough the script a few times a while back,I just started playing the actual game a couple days ago and already i would consider more characters than that list not-generic. I already care about a few or even the majority of the characters i have just starting the first chapter much more than certain units from fe10. There are still people that are close to generic don't get me wrong but it is hardly that bad.

Eh, I don't mind the smaller roster TBH. I guess when you do multiple playthroughs, you will start using the same characters again, but as already mentioned, any more and the character development will suck.

Also, I don't get the hate for the Awakening characters either. Okay, their personalities are the same, but they aren't saying the same lines; their dialogue is all new and they reveal a lot more about themselves.

Besides, it's very rare that the series re-uses characters (outside of sequels), so for me, it's quite refreshing to see them do it.

I really don't see the problem. Like, at all. I'll take a smaller cast with more chances to develop over a large cast of glorified generics any day. (okay I don't know for sure if characters in Fates are developed, but that's the recent trend). Not that I hate "glorified generics" though, they can be neat on some occasions.

Larger cast isn't always that good for gameplay variety either imo, since Fire Emblem has somewhat of a track record of unbalanced cast...

Also, I don't get the hate for the Awakening characters either. Okay, their personalities are the same, but they aren't saying the same lines; their dialogue is all new and they reveal a lot more about themselves.

Besides, it's very rare that the series re-uses characters (outside of sequels), so for me, it's quite refreshing to see them do it.

This. so. much.

I'm positively neutral about them and I think it's nice IS is testing all kinds of things.

(And sorry for asking, but how is 3 out of 38 a good number?)

This. so. much.

I'm positively neutral about them and I think it's nice IS is testing all kinds of things.

(And sorry for asking, but how is 3 out of 38 a good number?)

I have no idea, plus for Hoshido i keep getting 41 not 38 assuming that Izana and Yukimura do join you on that route as the main site doesn't have a join time for them. Though for nohr i am getting 39 which is closer to 38. (Also by the OP's logic that sacred stones has more than 38 characters, when it only has 34 that have supports, the capturable bosses should bump the numbers up to 49 for Hoshido and 47 for Nohr.)

I personally don't mind the smaller cast of characters. What I don't like is that the recruitment in Fates is very front loaded, so if you don't start using a character right away they'll probably be benchwarmers. It also means there's no safety net in the form of late game prepromotes if the characters you used get RNG screwed. I know there are a couple of character that pop up in My Castle after you meet some requirement during the later chapters, but none of them appear to really be Gotoh archetypes, or contribute to the story.

Another problem is that a large part of the cast is locked away behind S supports, which because you can't possibly use all characters means that you either have to grind to get them or miss out. And even if you decide to grind for supports (using My Castle on the paths that aren't Hoshido, which doesn't give them EXP, only support points) the stats of the children of your benchwarmers will probably suck (if the way they're calculated is anything like Awakening).

I am actually very happy with the smaller cast.Partially one of the reasons I love SS so mush was because of the small cast.You get to know the characters as actual characters rather then just units which you can throw away.(Which I was okay about doing in Shadow Dragon so I could get the Gaiden Chapters).So I am very happy with the cast and I hope IS will continue with giving us characters like these for future releases to come.

I personally don't mind the smaller cast of characters. What I don't like is that the recruitment in Fates is very front loaded, so if you don't start using a character right away they'll probably be benchwarmers. It also means there's no safety net in the form of late game prepromotes if the characters you used get RNG screwed. I know there are a couple of character that pop up in My Castle after you meet some requirement during the later chapters, but none of them appear to really be Gotoh archetypes, or contribute to the story.

Another problem is that a large part of the cast is locked away behind S supports, which because you can't possibly use all characters means that you either have to grind to get them or miss out. And even if you decide to grind for supports (using My Castle on the paths that aren't Hoshido, which doesn't give them EXP, only support points) the stats of the children of your benchwarmers will probably suck (if the way they're calculated is anything like Awakening).

Ryoma constitutes a safety net all by himself, and I'm guessing Xander does too. And there are definitely other high-level characters that join later, plus the Child Seals that a bunch of kids join with and can use to jump way ahead in level.

Ryoma constitutes a safety net all by himself, and I'm guessing Xander does too. And there are definitely other high-level characters that join later, plus the Child Seals that a bunch of kids join with and can use to jump way ahead in level.

They're pretty good, but they still join rather early and can still get RNG screwed. The Child Seals definitely sound good though, I hope that the bases of children of underleveled characters don't end up sucking though.

They're pretty good, but they still join rather early and can still get RNG screwed. The Child Seals definitely sound good though, I hope that the bases of children of underleveled characters don't end up sucking though.

I'm pretty sure Ryoma doesn't actually need to level up ever.