"The Light That Shines in the Dark" - Nohr Story Discussion

Thane

To expand off of Kamui's going along along with Garon's orders...

It seems like a longshot (especially considering I have no evidence save for what little I gather on these forums), but the "revolution" may be more in line of trying to save as many lives as possible during the invasion (from Nohr's side) instead of straight up rebelling against Garon. Kamui might actually be knowledgeable enough to know he can't just directly defy Garon (the one stunt he pulled might have put him in his place), so Kamui tries to wait for the right time to actually rebel and change Nohr.

However, in the end, Kamui could not save everyone. When he does actually confront Garon, Kamui now either has a strong enough army to rebel or finally realized he could wait no longer due to all the damage done.

Alas, this is just an optimist take on the situation. As I said before, I wonder how the localisation will handle the storyline.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the Hoshido story actually have more deaths than Nohr's anyway? That seems like it partially justifies Nohr Kamui. Still, it seems pretty clear that they failed to convince many players to follow the protagonist in this case, and it can be really frustrating to follow an hero who keeps taking actions you disagree with, especially in a videogame, where you actually need to put effort to make the story advance, rather than just watch things.

Edited by NeonZ

It's a bit odd to say this here

To clarify, so, what I had presumed was that, after beating Takumi in Chapter 23, something happens, and he falls off the castle thingy or whatever

In Endgame, Takumi is apparently possessed and is sent to fight you of sorts, though the real Takumi is already dead.

Since what was said was that apparently Takumi wasn't possessed, and rather, it was his "lingering hate"? If so, where did all the "Invisible Kingdom enemies" come from? Assuming I'm getting everything right though. I just thought it'd make more sense if some third party interfered to ruin your victory over Garon. That and the whole, where did the army come from thing

This sounds like the worst-case scenario for how the Nohr path could have played out. I was already concerned the story was headed this direction when, during that E3 demo of the nohr side, Garon told Kamui to suppress the ice tribe rebellion and Kamui basically went "k. brb." Not once questioning the morality of it. Just the difficulty of the task.

Ugh...I had hoped the Nohr side would be about gathering allies(like say, those ice tribes they mentioned)and plotting to overthrow Garon while trying to deal with the invasion. You could even have had the tables flipped around on Nohr, so that Hoshido would be the invading party since Nohr would be in disarray if a rebellion broke out during their own invasion. Anything but Kamui blindly obeying Garon and then doing a heel turn at the very end.

As much as I like some of Nohr's characters, I thought the Nohr route had horrible story writing. I thought Kamui would rebel against Garon sooner, not near the end when Kamui commited so many atrocities already. I understand that Kamui is sheltered, but their naive ideals caused so many mistakes/conflicts that could have been avoided in the Nohr route. Kamui is definitely more likable in the Hoshido route than the Nohr route. I agree with the 'Hoshido siblings forgiving him' part. Like wth? They barely even know Kamui, why would they forgive him so easily? It's so gary/mary stu-ish that Kamui isn't going to be held accountable for his actions by the Hoshido siblings when Kamui practically invaded Hoshido knowing that Garon is evil but chose not to rebel until it was too late, and Kamui is still considered some "hero" that is the "light that shines in the darkness" even though they done squat to fufill that role for the majority of the route.

I have hope for the third route but seeing how Nohr turned out, I'm not so sure anymore.

I also agree on why the Awakening characters picked Nohr... Doesn't make sense for them to pick Nohr b/c Garon is clearly evil.

Edited by Yuina

^ This. Although I have played it yet it clear to me that very little care was given to this route and the weight of the main character's actions throughout the story. I'll still play it but man it sounds like its going to be a frustrating ride in terms of the narrative.....

It's a bit odd to say this here

To clarify, so, what I had presumed was that, after beating Takumi in Chapter 23, something happens, and he falls off the castle thingy or whatever

In Endgame, Takumi is apparently possessed and is sent to fight you of sorts, though the real Takumi is already dead.

Since what was said was that apparently Takumi wasn't possessed, and rather, it was his "lingering hate"? If so, where did all the "Invisible Kingdom enemies" come from? Assuming I'm getting everything right though. I just thought it'd make more sense if some third party interfered to ruin your victory over Garon. That and the whole, where did the army come from thing

Hydra could have interfered and been invovled with Takumi. Along with water, it was said Hydra was able to control people's hearts.

Great.

...I should've known something like this would happen when the Iwata Asks said that Hoshido was written first.

The Nohr route is supposed to be darker and more complex, but instead it's Hoshido that has more personal loss and a more ruthlessly determined Kamui.

So we got the worst-case scenario. Thanks for the bias, IS!

Great.

...I should've known something like this would happen when the Iwata Asks said that Hoshido was written first.

The Nohr route is supposed to be darker and more complex, but instead it's Hoshido that has more personal loss and a more ruthlessly determined Kamui.

So we got the worst-case scenario. Thanks for the bias, IS!

Considering the Hoshido route was written first, I'd wager that they ended up rushing a lot of the Nohr route, at least in terms of writing.

In the end what should have happened was to give each route to a different head writer and let them do whatever as long as it involved the key main plot points

Considering the Hoshido route was written first, I'd wager that they ended up rushing a lot of the Nohr route, at least in terms of writing.

In the end what should have happened was to give each route to a different head writer and let them do whatever as long as it involved the key main plot points

Completely agree.

In general terms, Nohr has the best characters, and there's so much material to work with. Someone really needs to write a fanfic that fixes all this mess.

.... and a good number of the disastrously bad characters. Like Soleil. Seriously IS, what are you doing?

Surprised to hear that Nohr's story is much worse than Hoshido.

Is it a cultural thing to shafts the clearly European inspired side?

I think so, though probably not intentionally. Like I said, it's hard to not be biased towards one side or the other, and doubly so when one side represents your own culture.

Surprised to hear that Nohr's story is much worse than Hoshido.

Is it a cultural thing to shafts the clearly European inspired side?

I don't think so, to be honest. It just reeks of being rushed and a lot of maps feel like an artificial way to make the game longer, not to mention that it seems like the very idea behind the route simply doesn't match the ending whatsoever.

Honestly, I'm also starting to wonder if the writer was told not to include certain elements of the story in order to save the majority for the third path since it seems to be the key to far, far too many plot threads.

Edited by Thane

I don't think so, to be honest. It just reeks of being rushed and a lot of maps feel like an artificial way to make the game longer, not to mention that it seems like the very idea behind the route simply doesn't match the ending whatsoever.

And despite all of that, I love this game.

There's something wrong with me. Please help.

Edited by DualMix

Honestly, I'm also starting to wonder if the writer was told not to include certain elements of the story in order to save the majority for the third path since it seems to be the key to far, far too many plot threads.

Pretty much this. Still feels like Nohr got the short end of the stick.

And here I thought that Hoshido would have a more light-hearted story and that Nohr would have a more complex one.

Time to defect to Hoshido, I like a lot of the characters there anyways. Plus, the story will hit me harder since I prefer the Nohr siblings.

Edited by Snowstorm

And here I thought that Hoshido would have a more light-hearted story and that Nohr would have a more complex one.

Time to defect to Hoshido, I like a lot of the characters there anyways. Plus, the story will hit me harder since I prefer the Nohr siblings.

I dunno, I've been hearing the Hoshido characters aren't nearly as good as the Nohr ones. That seems to be the general consensus:

Nohr: better characters

Hoshido: better plot

I dunno, I've been hearing the Hoshido characters aren't nearly as good as the Nohr ones. That seems to be the general consensus:

I think it really lies in personal opinion. A lot of people like Camilla, as a character and in her design. I don't mind her character, she can be sweet, but her design is something I don't care for while for someone like Kamui, whose personality is liked that much, I enjoy it. Call me weird but that's how I interpret it.

Also the designs for Hoshido are some of my favorites. Hinoka, Rinka, Sakura, Takumi, Hinata, etc.

Edited by DualMix

I haven't played the game or read the supports yet, so that might be true.

I'm probably going with the game with the better plot though, even if I really like the characters in Nohr too.

Ehh, maybe the translated dialogue and stuff will reveal that Nohr's story isn't that bad.

I think it makes sense for the Awakening characters to be in Nohr. They did travel from a different world and don't know the history of this one and they came to work for people that they genuinely cared for. So staying by their side because they come to care about the Nohr siblings and their fellow officers would be natural.

And it really seems like they're gonna push the Friendship is Magic path hard for a fully explained conclusion.

So that's why there's a meme about it. xD Makes sense...

That's the great irony here... but playing Nohr/liking the Nohr siblings will make Hoshido's emotional moments even stronger : )

The decision point alone is painful.

Yep, agreed with the general consensus.

I think it really lies in personal opinion. A lot of people like Camilla, as a character and in her design. I don't mind her character, she can be sweet, but her design is something I don't care for while for someone like Kamui, whose personality is liked that much, I enjoy it. Call me weird but that's how I interpret it.

Also the designs for Hoshido are some of my favorites. Hinoka, Rinka, Sakura, Takumi, Hinata, etc.

Yes, personal opinion plays a big role of course. I would say it's better than Awakening, but others like Awakening better. I hope everybody reading this thread keeps this in mind going forward. : )

I haven't played the game or read the supports yet, so that might be true.

I'm probably going with the game with the better plot though, even if I really like the characters in Nohr too.

Ehh, maybe the translated dialogue and stuff will reveal that Nohr's story isn't that bad.

I cannot say enough about how I do not think the translated dialogue will help the overall plot much, unless they literally change the plot itself. It will make characters better in their mannerisms, yes, for those who do not understand, but it will do nothing for the plot flaws which is what is being discussed most. Yet, characters for Nohr are already said to be better (for the most part), so this will not help plots in anyway, really.