FE9 really did have amazing dialogue.

Just reading through the script again makes me want to play again. Seriously, the NoA translation team did a fantastic job with this one.

Quotes like these just amaze me (Ashnard vs. Reyson):

Ashnard: Galdr singer, did you come here today so that I might take ownership of you?

Reyson: I have something to ask you. Were you the one who stole the medallion and my sister, Lillia, from Serenes Forest?

Ashnard: You know that already, do you not? Why would you come all this way to ask something you already know? Do you wish me to deny it?

Reyson: If the dark god is awakened, the world will once again be flooded. And this time, even our continent will fall. You will not survive that event Do you truly desire such an end?

Ashnard: I do. Oh, how I do Its true. The world may be destroyed by the coming of the dark god. Then again, it may not. I question the way in which our society is designed. No matter what strength a person has, it is the station he is born into that controls his destiny. And you cannot control where you will be born. Do you believe that a person of low birth should simply endure the curse of his station? I think not. If you are stronger than those around you, you should benefit from your strength. This is why I will use my strength to remake this world. Class and rank will not matter. Human and sub-human will not matter. The strong will possess everything. The weak will submit to their will. Is this not the meaning of peace?

Reyson: Are you saying that the lives of those without strength have no value?

Ashnard: That is the natural order. The only way for the weak to survive is to cling to the strong. Our discussion is over. Tell me, frail little bird who cannot fight; which do you choose? Submission? Or death?

Reyson: Life proffered to me by your hand is something I would never accept!

Ashnard: Very well Then I will give you the alternative! You will be a weight around my neck no more!

And the game also did such an amazing job that even the enemy soldiers are sympathized with:

Haar: One, two, three... Five in all. We're lucky to have that many.

Daein Soldier: Captain Haar... What are we supposed to do now? General Shiharam is dead, and our homes are gone. What are we to do with our families?

Haar: What do you want to do? We've lost any right we had to stay here. So that leaves Begnion or Crimea...

Daein Soldier: General Shiharam was slain by Crimea...Joining with them now is not...It's not possible.

Haar: Then all you can do is return to Begnion. I doubt you'll get a hero's welcome, but...I've an old friend in the pegasus knights. Shall I contact her?

Daein Soldier: Sniff... Ah, gods. Eighteen long years...What does any of it mean now?

Haar: Don't say that! No matter what, I'm proud to have served under General Shiharam.

Daein Soldier: You're right... It was an honor...

What I liked most about the dialogue/characters is that thanks to Base conversations and how the story was handled characters felt like they all had some kind of importance to the overall plot, or at least you could see what their thoughts about the war was.

^ eloquently put. I really liked the title "Path of Radiance" as well, because FE9 basically felt like a coming of age tale for every character involved. Every character grows and develops and every usable character has redeeming qualities (even Shinon, despite being a gigantic asshole). Basically a story of everyone finding their path to radiance.

It's also why I can't stomach FE10 at times, because FE9 told a great coming of age tale and FE10 was more about a war. I also kind of dislike the direction FE10 took after Part 3, because FE10 did a great job handling both sides to the war.

FE9 had enough of conversations, who made me laugh:

• the conversation how you get the forge stave
  • Makalov's recruitment (still my favorite)
  • Shinon's drunkeness

FE10 didn't have bad writing either like some people tend to say. It's only that the content in the support conversations is missing. It's impossible to fix each conversation because of the immense number of support possiblities. (gameplaywise it's a good system)

However it has some funny conversations as well:

• Gatrie x Shinon x Lyre in 3-1
  • Danved's recruitment in 2-3
  • Marcia x Makalov in 3-9
  • Ike x Rafiel x Nailah in 4-1
  • Dialogue between Skrimir and Naesala in 4-P
Edited by Mister CatTeaDawn

The best part about the story, IMO, was that Ashnard consistently remained the main villain throughout. He was a good enough villain to be just as threatening as some bullshit dragon.

FE9 did have really great writing, overall most FE games do just not to the extent 9 did, even the minimalistic plot of Shadow Dragon feels huge because of how competently its written. It makes you want more however.

Even Awakening for its flaws has some really genius moments and talks

The best part about the story, IMO, was that Ashnard consistently remained the main villain throughout. He was a good enough villain to be just as threatening as some bullshit dragon.

I liked Ashnard but I actually like how the BK more as a consistent villan who randomly appeared on maps and you knew damn well to run before the one man who could destroy you're entire army got to them.

Edited by LordTaco42

FE9 definitely does the best job at making it's cast feel like real people rather than cartoon characters. Ashnard really stands out as a character who could have just been a generic villain, but instead they actually gave him a personality and motivations. Of course not every character is perfect, but even their one-dimensional characters like Kieran are at least entertaining.

Edited by Zvarri!

^ eloquently put. I really liked the title "Path of Radiance" as well, because FE9 basically felt like a coming of age tale for every character involved. Every character grows and develops and every usable character has redeeming qualities (even Shinon, despite being a gigantic asshole). Basically a story of everyone finding their path to radiance.

It's also why I can't stomach FE10 at times, because FE9 told a great coming of age tale and FE10 was more about a war. I also kind of dislike the direction FE10 took after Part 3, because FE10 did a great job handling both sides to the war.

Yeah even Makalov who is shown as a selfish and lazy jerk still gradually grows into feeling terribly about having swindle Astrid for money.

Also dynamic support conversations - there are support conversations that change depending on people who are dead or alive. Also the requirement being chapters together gave some support conversations some good timing too, like Jill mourning the death of her Father in A Mist (if I'm recalling right).

FE9 definitely does the best job at making it's cast feel like real people rather than cartoon characters. Ashnard really stands out as a character who could have just been a generic villain, but instead they actually gave him a personality and motivations. Of course not every character is perfect, but even their one-dimensional characters like Kieran are at least entertaining.

You DARE to imply that the mighty Crimean Knight Fifth Platoon Captain Kieran is ONE-DIMENSIONAL? Why, surely you jest, as one who could single-handedly take down the Giant Whippoorwill of Southern Crimea MUST have multiple dimensions! Surely more than that squinty coward, Oscar!

(I'm joking, of course. I just happen to really like Kieran even though he is one of the flatter characters in the game. I totally agree with you that hes entertaining, and other more one dimensional characters are as well -- I really liked Ulki and Marcia as well even though there isn't all that much to them.)

Yeah even the one-dimensional characters like Kieran and Volke were great simply because they were too funny. The scene on the ship were Mist is looking for Volke to give him his food and Volke charges Ike money in order to eat with them is one of my favorites.

Also dynamic support conversations - there are support conversations that change depending on people who are dead or alive. Also the requirement being chapters together gave some support conversations some good timing too, like Jill mourning the death of her Father in A Mist (if I'm recalling right).

Yeah, Jill/Mist A Support has two variations: Before Chapter 20 and after Chapter 20.

Then Makalov/Astrid A support also has two variations: One with Marcia alive and the other with Marcia dead. Literally the first (and only) game to do this. Really neat touch.

On the topic of amazing dialogue, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Bastian yet.

"In truth, I did much fear your name at first. I swore to find the mettle of the man, and studied you with cautious, steady eye. I thought to find yourself a brutish rogue. A villain crafty in his fiendish plans! With status and great wealth his only goals. Had such been your own ethic and deceit, I would have taken measures sure and swift to see your person vanished in the night. Yet lo! What do I find before mine eyes? A man so noble, true, and without peer, as would beset the moon herself with lust!"

There's also some really depressing (IMO) changes in the earlygame script if you beat chapters with your guys dead. For instance, Rolf's dialogue if both Boyd and Oscar are dead at the end of ch 2. Edited by Severian

Yeah even the one-dimensional characters like Kieran and Volke were great simply because they were too funny. The scene on the ship were Mist is looking for Volke to give him his food and Volke charges Ike money in order to eat with them is one of my favorites.

Maybe I should just tell Mist he's dead...

I still laugh when I read that convo.

It was a great game. The story was fairly standard (not nearly as big an issue as some make it, IMO), and the gameplay is, looking back, pretty barebones, but the characters and how the story was handled were so great. Bryce is still by far my favorite of the Camus archetype. All the others are pretty simple loyalty; it was really interesting, and heartbreaking, to see their take on Bryce in his convo with Tauroneo.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Maybe I should just tell Mist he's dead...[/size]

I still laugh when I read that convo.[/size]

It was a great game. The story was fairly standard (not nearly as big an issue as some make it, IMO), and the gameplay is, looking back, pretty barebones, but the characters and how the story was handled were so great. Bryce is still by far my favorite of the Camus archetype. All the others are pretty simple loyalty; it was really interesting, and heartbreaking, to see their take on Bryce in his convo with Tauroneo.[/size]

I think Ashnard's words are something mean like "There is nothing more foolish in this world than a knight."

I think Ashnard's words are something mean like "There is nothing more foolish in this world than a knight."

That was great. They manage to make Ashnard a complete ass and still make you begrudgingly accept that he's not just a monster, that he has a somewhat noble, if twistedly so, goal.

"Some men can change, Tauroneo. Others cannot... I am of the latter type. There is no other reason." That's haunting, man.

There's also some really depressing (IMO) changes in the earlygame script if you beat chapters with your guys dead. For instance, Rolf's dialogue if both Boyd and Oscar are dead at the end of ch 2.

Rolf:

Ohsniff

Mist:

Keep your chin up,Rolf! Boys arent supposed to cry!

Rolf:

ButIm so scaredArent you even a bit scared, Mist?

Mist:

Of course I am, butListen, well be fine! My brother will definitely come rescue us.

Rolf:

Oh, yeahYouve still gotIke to look after you.

Mist:

Oh,Im sorryI didnt mean

Rolf:

Its all right. I know.

Mist:

Rolf, reallyIm sorry.

Rolf:

If my brothers were still alivetheyd come get me, wouldnt they?

Mist:

Yes, of course they would.

Rolf:

So I shouldnt keep crying, should I? I mean, we are going to be rescued.

Mist:

Thats right! And we should be ready, all right?

Damn, such heavy dialogue early on...

EDIT: Wow. The fact that the game has dialogue that depends on what mode you're playing on is brilliant.

Edited by ZM.

EDIT: Wow. The fact that the game has dialogue that depends on what mode you're playing on is brilliant.

I'm actually pretty sure Awakening has at least one difficulty-dependent line. Frederick has a line that's something like "be cautious, Robin, we face practiced thieves and murderers" which doesn't show up on normal mode.

EDIT-In the prologue.

Edited by Severian

Damn that's pretty awesome. I hope stuff like this returns into Fire Emblem games more often.