Soleil/M!Kamui's Supports are almost offensive

EJ107

This whole support could have been a lot better with the addition of 2 lines of consent, and then they could play it off like a wacky Fakku scenario.

Example:

Kamui: Hey Soleil, I found this magic powder that supposedly makes you see guys as girls. Maybe that will help you? Want to give it a go?

Soleil: Lol okay, let's try this.

*WACKY SHIT HAPPENS*

*PLAY THINGS FOR LAUGHS*

But the support as of now....quite questionable in moral integrity.

Edited by IGdood

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless she "prefers" girls because she finds them cute in the way someone might find plushies or baby animals cute and is a "girl lover" the way someone could be an "animal lover" or "shoe lover". It may not be taken literally as loving something doesn't mean that mean the person is actually sexually attracted to it. Especially in this case if it was a habit formed from spiting Laswalds bad luck with women.

The main issue hasn't been about Soliel herself, but about Kamui slipping the magic powder into her drink without her knowledge. Even for someone naive to the ways of the world, it's a pretty not okay thing to do.

Though this does make me recall Tharja cursing people without their consent in a lot of instances in Awakening. That's just as not okay as this, right? So I can finally be justified in my dislike of that character?

Oh, you're justified about your dislike of Tharja.

Another issue with the whole non-consent issue here is that its your Avatar character, the character who is supposed to be your representation/representative in the game, who is doing this morally unacceptable behavior.

If it was another character, it would still be bad, but you could at least attribute it to this other character whom your player character cannot control being a bad person and their actions being outside of your character's control.

But this support here forces YOU to be a bad person when you put in the potion without asking, even if the player themselves would be horrified by such a notion.

Another issue with the whole non-consent issue here is that its your Avatar character, the character who is supposed to be your representation/representative in the game, who is doing this morally unacceptable behavior.

But this support here forces YOU to be a bad person when you put in the potion without asking, even if the player themselves would be horrified by such a notion.

Fucking this.

If I was crushing hard on a girl of incompatible sexual preference (sigh...) I won't resort to this....not even in a video game.

Oddly enough - and keep in mind I haven't bothered to read all 24 pages of this thread - I think I'd be alright with the support as long as they made the "magic powder" experiment consensual.

Let me explain:

Soleil is Bisexual. She leans more towards females, but in Foleo's support tree she reveals that she doesn't mind men, she just prefers women. (And has an infatuation with cute girls especially)

This means that the main remaining sticking point with the support - other than the quality of it, which is admittedly bad - is that Kamui goes behind her back to spike her drink with the powder without even knowing beforehand if it's something she'd agree with or wanted.

It's the - much less comical - equivalent of Kamui hearing that Marx had stomach pains and slipping laxatives in his food:

"Hey Marx-nii-san, I heard from Elise that you were having some stomach pains so I put some laxatives in your food."

"What the FUCK kamui?"

I personally believe that my issues with this support tree could be easily solved by having Kamui STATE his plan beforehand and ask Soleil if it's something she's willing to try. At least then, it's Soleil's decision.

Something like:

Kamui: Soleil - I've been meaning to talk to you about the problem you told me about last time.

Soleil: Oh, Kamui - what about it?

Kamui: Well, in this vial, there's a magic powder that would make you perceive men as women and women as men.

Soleil: Ehhh?? So I would see kamui as a girl!?

Kamui: That's the plan. I figured that if you could practice being around girls more, you could cure your fainting problem.

Soleil: Hmmm... Well I can't keep fainting everytime I see a cute girl on the battlefield...

Kamui: ... So is that a yes?

Soleil: Hmmm... Well if both Father and Xander trust you, I guess I can too. Just don't go telling everyone about my weakness!

= SO MUCH BETTER. (In my opinion)

Remember, SF, heroes never go around drugging people.

(Please at least make the support consensual, Nintendo. Please!)

Edited by BRSxIgnition

She don't mind men...

In the exact same supp, after Kamui told her about the drugs, she ran away because she want to see this new cute girls instead of...

Soleil: .... these ugly men.

Look like a writer mess up at some point while writing supports convo.

So its basically Lonqu 2.0, except a bisexual girl so everyone is up in arms

made it through about half of gaijinhunters translation video and it seems like its basically bonding over fixing her problems (only this time its being a nympho rather than being afraid)

Edited by Tribute

So its basically Lonqu 2.0, except a bisexual girl so everyone is up in arms

How? Lon'qu didn't actually dislike women at all and never suggested preferring men instead (other than Vaike's misunderstanding in Harvest Scramble). The whole aversion thing was just past trauma ala Guy from Tales of the Abyss.

If I were to localize Soleil (and the option to make her flat out Bi was off the table) I think I'd make her class skill "Girl Power" and work a feminist angle, where her supports are more about empowering women rather than flirting. Like a sorority sister.

It would make an interesting counter to Inigo, a shamless flirt has a daughter that's a SJW. It would at least wipe out most of this awkward writing while still maintaining the spirit of it. Again, only if just flat out making her Bi was vetoed, since that would be way easier.

Don't exactly know how to work out the fainting thing though.

Edited by Stage7_4

Didn't she call another character a pedophile in one of her Japanese supports?

She called Laurent that if I'm not mistaken. Or at least, she called him a pervert.

Point is, while Soleil should have been made a bisexual and able to S-rank both male and female characters, the only truly offensive thing in the M!Kamui + Soleil support line is the date-rape-drug move that Kamui pulls early on.

As long as that is made consensual during translation, I won't have anything against this support. (it may not be perfect, but it won't be god awful anymore)

Like, yeah.

Inigo/Nah is worse than this and that ain't even bad.

I disagree as they are around the same age.

This is by far the worse Support they have ever created and it doesn't help that all of Soleil's supports are trash because it feels like they're trying to "Cure" her of liking girls every time she S Ranks a guy while denying her any female S Ranks.

I think they should redirect her characterization into safer territory, rather than unnecessarily add new elements into it. It's as simple as turning "girl lover" into "cute lover". All instances of lines referring to Soleil's attraction to cute girls can just be reframed as being obsessed with cute things. Players will still suspect she's bisexual and if they're aware of the Japanese version, they'll know she's hard gay strongly inclined towards women but we'll escape all the unfortunate implications of her supports.

That could work but i dont think its beneficial for the character or the audience to keep the supports mentioned as they are or close to it. Her personal skill can be changed to Hopeless Romantic and still do the same thing. Soleil liking women beyond just cuteness, can be localized very tastefully.

I disagree as they are around the same age.

This is by far the worse Support they have ever created and it doesn't help that all of Soleil's supports are trash because it feels like they're trying to "Cure" her of liking girls every time she S Ranks a guy while denying her any female S Ranks.

Actually by Manakete standards of aging, Nah is a pre-pubescent child.

There's a reason why Tiki, Fae, and Myrrh couldn't be romanced, it'd be creepy.

Not saying this isn't bad, but Awakening had plenty of stuff like this.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I would disagree as her Support with Foleo is perfectly fine. There isn't anything really wrong with it and it doesn't seem like she's being cured of anything.

Edited by DualMix

Yeah but Nah is half human which is why circumstances feel a bit different in her case. She ages faster than most manakete in general. Hell, she looks older than Nowi.

She's a half-breed though and she already looks older than Nowi.