Unit Optimization Thread

Morgan

Hello everyone. With Fe14 out in Japan, we now know about the new functions included in the latest installment including Online Multiplayer and My Castle. With these features optimization of units, pairings, and various skillsets will probably become popular in the future releases of fe14 in the US and Europe. This thread is meant for those who need advice on pairings, the best time to use seals to get skills, and on skillsets in general.

I hope this thread will be helpful to those in the future leading up to release :)

What are Modifiers?

Modifiers are numbers that can raise or lower a unit's maximum stats in certain classes. For example if a classes normal max strength is 35, but the unit in the class has a strength modifier of +2, then their max strength would be 37 while in that class. If the mod is negative, then the classes max stat is lowered for that unit.

Modifiers can effect how well certain units perform in certain classes. This means some units may be more inclined to other roles on the team. A character with a +3 magic mod is probably not going to be in a Strength based class. This is why modifiers are important to understand in a Fire Emblem game.

How Child Inheritance Works (Modifiers and Classes)

First we'll start with how modifiers work. Unlike Awakening, children are tied to their fathers instead of their mothers. However like Awakening, all of the children start with a +1 modifier in all stats. A child's modifiers change depending on who their parents are. The child's modifiers are determined by adding the parent's mods together. Parent mods can be found here: http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/nohrian-characters/maximum-stats/

Make sure you remember the children all start with a +1 when adding the parent's modifiers together. This could make or break a pairing when calculating if the child can double certain units or not.

Example - Charlotte!Siegbert (Charlotte marrying Xander and mothering Siegbert)

Charlotte's mods are +3 Strength, +2 Speed, -2 Defense, -2 Resistance

Xander's mods are +2 Strength, -1 Magic, -1 Skill, -1 Speed, +2 Luck, +1 Def, -2 Resistance

Charlotte!Siegbert's mods would be +6 Strength, +2 Speed, +3 Luck, -3 Resistance

*Magic, Skill, and Defense are all 0/neutral.

Next is class inheritance. Children naturally inherit the base class of their parents. However, if the child has that class, then they inherit their parent's secondary class. Here are some examples:

Sakura!Midoriko. Midoriko's base class is Herb Merchant. Her father's base class is Ninja, while her mother's (in this case Sakura) base class is Priestess. This means a Sakura!Midoriko's base class lines are the Herb Merchant, Priestess, and Ninja lines.

(Now for when Parent's share a class such as Matoi and Subaki, who are both Pegasus Warriors. Let's use Hinoka as the mother since she ALSO is a Pegasus Warrior)

Hinoka!Matoi. Matoi's base class is Pegasus Warrior. Her father's base class is Pegasus Warrior, but Matoi already has that. Matoi then inherits her father's secondary class which in this case is Samurai. Her mother Hinoka is a Pegasus Warrior but again, Matoi has that. Hinoka passes on Lance Fighter to Matoi. This means a Hinoka!Matoi's base class lines are Pegasus Warrior, Samurai, and Lance Fighter.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Things we know

-Levels do NOT reset to level 1 after reclassing

-Eternal Seals expand your level cap (40 is the max that we know of)

-Once promoted, you CANNOT reclass into an unpromoted class. you may only reclass to a promoted one at that point.

-You can still get your unpromoted class skills after reclassing, even if promoted. Example would be wanting a cavalier skill as a promoted unit. If you reclass to cavalier's promoted class (Great Knight or Paladin) then you'll get the cavalier's skills 1 per level

(Great Knight reclass lv 7 ---> Lv 8 (Get Cav skill 1) ---> Lv 9 (Cav skill 2) ---> Lv 9 (Great Knight Skill 1)

-Children Skill inheritance works just like Awakening. The last skill in the parent's slot is passed to child

-Max stats are not as high as Awakening

-Certain classes can only reach a certain level of weapon. The list can be found here: http://serenesforest.net/fire-emblem-fates/hoshidan-classes/maximum-stats/

-Some skills like Vengeance have been weakened with the transfer to Awakening.

-Some characters can cross marry in the currently unreleased third path. Some examples of these are Subaki/Luna, Ryoma/Camilla, and Hinata/Nyx

-A unit may have one A+ support and one S support. A unit can also have an A+ and S at the same time. A+ supports also only affect one unit and is not mutal between the two units. An example could be Luna could have an A+ with Camilla while Camilla has an A+ with Belka and NOT Luna.

-You can buy skills from Streetpass matches after you've beaten them and save 5 units at the end of one playthrough in your logbook and then buy skills from them in another playthrough.

Useful Links

List of A+ supports: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PGXnMa16kR2jWVctPLyffxNqJySKKqxrb6antWnfCag/htmlview?pli=1#

Thanks to Dämonplay and astrophys for contributions! Thank you! :)

Edited by Morgan

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iirc Ike has the Vanguard class. This gives him access to Aether, Strength Drain, Veteran's Intuition, and Steel Blade. I don't know if he has other classes, but right away I can say Aether is a must.

Strength Drain is aldo somewhat useful of these because Ike is likely to get more kills combined with Aether. The extra strength will increase is damage output.

Um… I already created a pairing thread days ago… but, then again, with the introduction of marriage seals and buddy seals, its a lot more complex than just pairing this time, so maybe this thread covers it better.

What are people's opinions on the best Matoi on the Hoshido route?

The best Matoi for the third route, given what we know about the 3rd route supports?

And the best redheaded Matoi? (To make her look like Cordelia.)

Hinoka looks pretty promising for Hoshido:

Hinoka Matoi:

+1 Str

+0 Mag

+2 Skl

+0 Spd

+0 Lck

+3 Def

+2 Res

(Of course, growth rates matter more main game, with stat mods more relevant with grinding + the leveling increasing seal for use in hypothetical DLC; Hinoka is also fairly fast, which could along with Matoi's growths help offset Subaki).

This Matoi would have a class set of Pegasus Warrior (personal starting class), Samuari (inherited from her father), and Lance Fighter (inherited from her mother).

Lance Fighter is interesting for her Pegasus classes, as that grants her Lancefaire, which is also applicable to her weapon master class. Its also gives her Breaking Sky as a a proc. She also gets sword faire access.

As for the other redhead Matoi that I know of (and I'm currently working on the third question on redhead Matoi possibilities), there's Luna!Matoi, which also has a bit of appeal from a support story standpoint. Luna's growths are pretty much flat out worse than Hinoka's in most areas, so she'd want to rely on caps here. Luna does have a stronger defense growth, but not much else for the growth aspect. She, however, is also faster than Hinoka in terms of max stat mods.

Luna!Matoi

-1 Str

+1 Mag

+2 Skl

+1 Spd

+1 Lck

+5 Def

-1 Res

Classes: Pegasus Warrior (personal starting class), Samurai (inherited from father) and Mercenary (inherited from mother)

Here, Matoi doesn't get any extra faires that she didn't get from her father already. Instead, she gets more defensive orientated skills: notably, Sol, a defensive/healing proc rather than the offensive Breaking Sky, two weapon breaker skills (Axebreaker and Kunaibreaker), a damage boosting skill for enemy phase usage (Patient Assurance), a luck based healing skill, and rally skill (but she does naturally have Rally Speed too already). Her defensive options are also augmented by her +5 Def modifier (3 from Subaki, 1 from Luna, 1 from child bonus). She doesn't get Lancefaire for use as a Pegasus Warrior, but she can use her Swordfaire either in the Samurai classes or as a Hero/Bow Knight.

Of course, yet another angle of optimization is the issue that you can buddy seal and marriage seal her. In this case, her stronger attack mod is actually +1 magic, so she might in the long term desire a magical or hybrid class, something that could be achieved with a marriage seal if married to a magic user, or likewise with a buddy seal if one of her buddy options was magical.

But of course, she and her parents have poor magic growth rates, so getting a magical Matoi would be something more for DLC grinding + repeated use of stat boosters and level cap increasing seals to get up to higher levels of magic.

What are people's thoughts?

^According to a Kamui!Midoriko picture on 4chan, children ONLY inherit their parents base class, thus a Luna!Matoi would not actually inherit Samurai. She'd only have the ability to reclass into classes of the Pegasus Warrior and Mercenary lines. This also means that pairings like Subaki/Hinoka and Odin/Nyx are going to hurt their children badly.

However, Subaki can pass on a Samurai skill to Matoi, meaning it is possible for her to get Swordfaire or Vantage

Actually, that's been disproven, based on the information our fellow SereneForest user Arya has provided.

Well, more strictly speaking, what you described for Kamui!Midoriko works out correctly in that case, but its a specific case resulting from a more complex generalized system of inheritance rules. But as we see, its not ONLY the parent's base class as the general rule…. its a bit more complicated than that…

What really happens is this:

The child has a personal base class.

If its the same as their father's, then the father passes down his secondary class tree.

If its different from their fathers, then he passes down his base (primary) class tree instead.

Its the same for the mother.

The case for Kamui!Midoriko works in a way that resembles what you described because neither the mother nor father share a common base class with the child in that case, so they pass down their bases… but as soon as a base class is shared between a parent and child, the situation diverges from what was described.

​Don't worry about it… just yesterday I thought the same thing too, until some more talking to people who had the children and could directly quote the class sets they had on them showed me otherwise.

Arya has a number of the children and has tested them with Second Seals…. here are the results. Hinoka!Matoi is included among them, so we know it works the way I described.

Arya wrote…

At astrophys request, here's the list of all the children I have and their class set:

Matoi (Hinoka-Subaki): Falcon Warrior, Golden Kite Warrior, Trueblade, Weapon Master, Holy Lancer, Basara

Shara (Azura-Tsukuyomi): Basara, Exorcist, Shura, Blacksmith, Falcon Warrior, Golden Kite Warrior

Sophie (Sakura-Silas): Paladin, Great Knight, Hero, Bow Knight, Exorcist, War Priestess

Midoriko (Hana-Kaze): Great Merchant, Trueblade, Weaponmaster, Elite Ninja, Puppetmaster (Note: She's the slowest unit on my team despite her parents from recruitment to endgame, so I'm questioning stat inheritance a bit)

Mitama (Setsuna-Asuna): War Priestess, Exorcist, Golden Kite Warrior, Sniper, Puppetmaster, Great Merchant

Kinu (Oboro-Nishiki): Kitsune, Holy Lancer, Basara, Exorcist

Shigure (Aqua-Tsukuyomi): (He's not promoted) Pegasus Warrior, Rod Knight, Spellcaster

Edited by astrophys

So, I was debating on choosing wives for both Flannel and Marx.

However I'm not sure which one to give Charlotte to, the other would probably get Effie.

Also any suggestions on what MU Asset/Flaw to marry off to Leon for the best Kanna? I was thinking +MAG to further boost what Leon offers, but I'm not sure if I want that -2 str with Kanna's personal skill.

Edited by Lemui

I rhink we should first collect some facts.

-children carry "children seals" this allows them to skip certain levels and get their skills right away.(i don't know but I think you would be wasting levels using them.....because you need that for reclassing)

-level doesn't reset to 1 after reclassing.

-With eternal seals you can expand your level cap( 40 is the max we've seen so far)

-If you have promoted you can't reclass into an unpromoted class. Ypu can only reclass in promoted ones(but you still get your unpromoted skills.)

-Skills inheritance works like in awakening.

-Max Stats aren't near as high as awakenings.

-Classes with access to only one weapon can get a S-Level for that weapon.

-Certain skills are weakend(vengeance for example)

-children max stats mechanic is the same ad awakenings.

-children have their own base class. And they only inherit their parents base classes. (If the base class of the children is the same as the base class of their parents they inherit their second classes

-right now the typical MMO build dominates the meta(Tank,MU,Magical Unit,Healer,Physical Unit)

-Only certain characters can cross marry in the 3rd path

-You can have an A+Support and a S-Support at the same time

-Certain buildings in My Castle can change your stats

-YOU CAN BUY SKILLS FROM STREETPASS MATCHES AFTER YOU'VE BEATEN THEM AND SAVE 5 UNITS AT THE END OF ONE PLAYTHROUGH IN YOUR LOGBOOK AND BUY SKILLS FROM THEM IN ANOTHER PLAYTHROUGH

Edited by Dämonplay

Whoops my bad! Thank you for the correction astro! That makes much more sense and is much fairer

Also want to say that I'll update the opening once I get home to better wifi. I'm on my phone right now and using phone service which is never good :P

So, I was debating on choosing wives for both Flannel and Marx.

However I'm not sure which one to give Charlotte to, the other would probably get Effie.

Also any suggestions on what MU Asset/Flaw to marry off to Leon for the best Kanna? I was thinking +MAG to further boost what Leon offers?

Well I had Charlotte foe Marx. Cause that's the only way I know Siegbert can learn Counter(A+ rinka and inherit it). Btw Siegbert must be difficult as hell to pronounce for english speakers. It's a middleage german name.

Just saying Charlotte!Velour has insane an insane strength mod.(Also note, certain structures in My Castle influence max stats.)

Just saying Charlotte!Velour has insane an insane strength mod.(Also note, certain structures in My Castle influence max stats.)

It has yes. But you know that's not always the best. See for example that's why everyone of my units in my planned PvP team has counter(except anna cause she can't get it without marrying the MU) and two even have mahic counte but I'm missing the point. What I mean is that everyone is so excited about oh my god that's so much power the strength stats of that pairing is so damn high and so on. But on the other side they forget that if you attack with that strength and you hit someone with counzer you will get all the damage back and possibly knocked out by the following attack.

This is true, however Effie!Velour has the same insane strength mod so you'd need to look at the other mods and the classes/skills they pass down.

Edited by capmalachi

Hmm...True.

Effie would be good if you wanted a tank but I would imagine Velour as more of a killer cause Mana Garou's insane Str and Spd.

Charlotte gives Velour +7 str and Effie gives +7 str as well, which is why I had her as the other option.

However hearing that Charlotte can give Sword Kid counter seems like a better option, as I completely looked over that when planning.

Edit: Effie!Velour gets 7 /1 /-2 /1 /1 /2 /-1 and Charlotte!Velour gets 7 /1 /-1 /2 /1 /1 /-2

Edited by Lemui

Charlotte gives Velour +7 str and Effie gives +7 str as well, which is why I had her as the other option.

However hearing that Charlotte can give Sword Kid counter seems like a better option, as I completely looked over that when planning.

But counter is from Shura(Or Blacksmith)not Berserker.

Also, as an extra rule, it seems that Azura cannot inherit her base class onto her son, and he already starts as a Pegasus Knight, so she randomly gives him Rod Knight instead.

Wait, do we know the children's secondary classes?

Edited by Azz01

But counter is from Shura(Or Blacksmith)not Berserker.

I meant by how Damon stated it earlier:

Well I had Charlotte foe Marx. Cause that's the only way I know Siegbert can learn Counter(A+ rinka and inherit it). Btw Siegbert must be difficult as hell to pronounce for english speakers. It's a middleage german name.

Oh I see.Thank you for correcting me.(I feel like I may be the only one just not using marriage/buddy seals since the effort of having to buy Eternal seals s just uhhh)

Oh I see.Thank you for correcting me.(I feel like I may be the only one just not using marriage/buddy seals since the effort of having to buy Eternal seals s just uhhh)

It's less effort than using many characters from the logbook. Well I have to do both

Maybe that helps out:

it's tze list of all female 1st gen A+Support options. (3rd path)

Assuming it's true of course.

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/985372-fire-emblem

iirc Ike has the Vanguard class. This gives him access to Aether, Strength Drain, Veteran's Intuition, and Steel Blade. I don't know if he has other classes, but right away I can say Aether is a must.

Strength Drain is aldo somewhat useful of these because Ike is likely to get more kills combined with Aether. The extra strength will increase is damage output.

I heard dread fighter scrolls could be used on him....and I want to know compared to other characters what will you classify Ike as, depending on his stats, and I think Strength drain is just an overkill, there's an Item for both Skill drain and Speed drain, and I think Skill drain will be better for Aether activation, It's weird looking at Ike spread sheet, this is definitely not RD Ike, the skill is his lowest offensive stat!

Edited by The Radiant Hero

I heard dread fighter scrolls could be used on him....and I want to know compared to other characters what will you classify Ike as, depending on his stats, and I think Strength drain is just an overkill, there's an Item for both Skill drain and Speed drain, and I think Skill drain will be better for Aether activation, It's weir looking at Ike spread sheet, this is definitely not RD Ike, the skill is his lowest offensive stat!

Well I don't really care for Ike cause he will never be able to compete with the others cause he has less class options. I agree skill drain would be better

This topic has to go on: So I will post mx plan for my MU so we can discus something. One thread has to go on.

So:

MU x Azura

-Lethality

-Breaking Sky

-Hoshido

-Flambouyant

-Counter/(Nohr)

-[Mysterious Appeal]

Classes required: Basara, Elite Ninja, Shura, White Blood, (Dark Blood)

Endclass: White Blood

Assets/Flaws: Skill/Luck

Skill+: +2Str , +4Skl , +2Def

Luck-: -1Str , -1Mag , -3Lck

Overall: +1Str

-1Mag

+4Skl

-3Lck

+2Def

Well I don't really care for Ike cause he will never be able to compete with the others cause he has less class options. I agree skill drain would be better

I thought skills can be bought from Spotpass.....and Ragnell is looking awesome in this game.

Edited by The Radiant Hero