I feel a topic like this is needed. Feel free to ask any questions you have regarding the rules (or rulings) of FE Cipher here and people will answer them. We just ask you to read this before asking any questions:

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Comprehensive_Rules_of_FE_Cipher

If you feel your question has still not been answered, then go ahead and ask it here.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got two questions actually. Let's take the basic Linde's ability.

"Thunder" / α / Once per turn / [Flip one Bond] Until the end of this turn this unit's attack increases by 10.

1) Can you activate that skill during the enemy turn? This question basically applies to basically all activate-able abilities I guess. I believe the answer's no, but confirmation would be nice!

2) Can you activate this skill midfight? For example, can I use this ability after supports are revealed (so basically, if you are 10 points shy to have a successful attack you could activate the ability) or do you have to activate it before declaring your attack?

I got two questions actually. Let's take the basic Linde's ability.

"Thunder" / α / Once per turn / [Flip one Bond] Until the end of this turn this unit's attack increases by 10.

1) Can you activate that skill during the enemy turn? This question basically applies to basically all activate-able abilities I guess. I believe the answer's no, but confirmation would be nice!

2) Can you activate this skill midfight? For example, can I use this ability after supports are revealed (so basically, if you are 10 points shy to have a successful attack you could activate the ability) or do you have to activate it before declaring your attack?

It's an ACT skill (or action skill), meaning you can only use it in the deployment phase.

If it was an instant-effect skill (&) then yes, you can do it at any time.

That's at least what I'm seeing from the rulings so far.

It's an ACT skill (or action skill), meaning you can only use it in the deployment phase.

If it was an instant-effect skill (&) then yes, you can do it at any time.[/size]

That's at least what I'm seeing from the rulings so far.[/size]

Yeah, this is what I mean when talking about using the same terms for every page when cleaning them up. Her effect is before you even attack with her.

If it was an instant-effect skill (&) then yes, you can do it at any time.

That's at least what I'm seeing from the rulings so far.

Wait, what? Surely you mean that Action skills can only be used in the Action phase, right..?

I'm still very confuse about the reverse bond thing, is it okay if I ask here?

Let say, I use this Tharja's ability,

“Ruin” / α / [Once per turn] [Flip 3 Bonds, discard one “Tharja” from your hand] Your opponent must choose 2 cards from their hand and discard them. If this unit was placed via class-change, the opponent must choose and discard 3 cards from their hand instead."

Does it mean I flip over (meaning reverse) 3 bond cards, discard one Tharja, and do whatever that's in the description?

And if I were to use this ability of Nowi's

“Young Manakete” / & / At the end of your turn, you may add one card from your bond area to your hand."

I can add one reverse bond card to my hand?

Which kind of means that I've "un-reverse" the bond card since I'm gonna place a bond card next turn.

I'm still very confuse about the reverse bond thing, is it okay if I ask here?

Let say, I use this Tharja's ability,

“Ruin” / α / [Once per turn] [Flip 3 Bonds, discard one “Tharja” from your hand] Your opponent must choose 2 cards from their hand and discard them. If this unit was placed via class-change, the opponent must choose and discard 3 cards from their hand instead."[/size]

Does it mean I flip over (meaning reverse) 3 bond cards, discard one Tharja, and do whatever that's in the description?

And if I were to use this ability of Nowi's

“Young Manakete” / & / At the end of your turn, you may add one card from your bond area to your hand."[/size]

I can add one reverse bond card to my hand?[/size]

Which kind of means that I've "un-reverse" the bond card since I'm gonna place a bond card next turn.[/size]

Yep, you are correct! Since Nowi does not specify what state the bond must be in when you add it to your hand, you can add a face-down bond. In fact, as of right now, she is the only card with even an indirect ability to unreverse bonds. She's a R for a reason.

When you promote or level up a unit does the previous version stay on the field or does it hit discard pile?

Previous version stays under the new card. And yes, it will stack if you keep doing it.

I have a question about card like Owain cost 4 supported by Lucina cost 1.

Let's suppose Owain has been class changed, so now he destroy 2 orbs. Then Lucina come to support and her Emblem lets Owain destroy 2 orbs. How much orbs will owain destroy?

My suppositions are:

2 orbs : because all 2 cards says that (most likely answer)

3 orbs : one from owain skill and one more from Lucina emblem (unlikely as the translation doesn't state that it is "destroy one more orb")

4 orbs : 2 from Owain skill then 1 more per bond destroyed by lucina skill (could work if lucina skill was worded like: "for each orbs that character destroy, it destroy 2 instead)

As I can't read japanese I can't confirm the exact wording of Lucina (or Owain) skill. Maybe the official site FAQ already answered that question?

I have a question about card like Owain cost 4 supported by Lucina cost 1.

Let's suppose Owain has been class changed, so now he destroy 2 orbs. Then Lucina come to support and her Emblem lets Owain destroy 2 orbs. How much orbs will owain destroy?

My suppositions are:

2 orbs : because all 2 cards says that (most likely answer)

3 orbs : one from owain skill and one more from Lucina emblem (unlikely as the translation doesn't state that it is "destroy one more orb")

4 orbs : 2 from Owain skill then 1 more per bond destroyed by lucina skill (could work if lucina skill was worded like: "for each orbs that character destroy, it destroy 2 instead)

As I can't read japanese I can't confirm the exact wording of Lucina (or Owain) skill. Maybe the official site FAQ already answered that question?

Well, I just figured that since the wording isn't "one more orb", but "2 orbs instead" then it wouldn't truly stack. I could possibly be wrong, but if I am, then the wording is very bizarre. If I can get confirmation on this, I'd be glad to add it to the comprehensive rules.

Thank you for the answer.

Manage to play a game today. It's weird and interesting at the same time. Guess just need some time to get use to it.

About the rules, I think extra note should be added for support card.

If I'm not wrong, the support only last till the character ends his/her attack/defend. Not throughout the player's turn.

Cause we need to search the forum for info on that.

About this skill of Red Eye Bull Sully

CSS “Aegis” / ∞ / Enemy rear guard units with Bow, Tome, or Stone affinities cannot attack. (CCS: If this unit was placed without the promotion unit cost, this skill is inactive)

It means rear guard enemies can't attack anyone at all?

Eg. Enemy Virion on rear guard. I have Chrom and Sully with "Aegis". Enemy Virion can't attack both Chrom and Sully. That's not wrong, is it?

And this skill of Amnesia-stricken Tactician Robin's

“Tactical Talents” / ∞ / If you have less bonds than your opponent, this unit’s attack is increased by 10.

The bonds mention includes reverse bonds?

And this skill of Amnesia-stricken Tactician Robin's

“Tactical Talents” / ∞ / If you have less bonds than your opponent, this unit’s attack is increased by 10.

The bonds mention includes reverse bonds?

Actually, Robin's skill is actually if you have lesser orbs than your opponent, then her attack is increased by 10. (error in translation, gonna point it out in the other thread)

But generally when a card mentions bonds (Nowi for example) it includes both flipped and unflipped (normal and reversed)

CCS “Wyvern’s Screech” / ∞ / The attack of all ally flying affinity units is increased by 10. (CCS: If this unit was placed without the promotion unit cost, this skill is inactive)

Does Cherche's Wyvern Screech apply to herself as well?

Well, I just figured that since the wording isn't "one more orb", but "2 orbs instead" then it wouldn't truly stack. I could possibly be wrong, but if I am, then the wording is very bizarre. If I can get confirmation on this, I'd be glad to add it to the comprehensive rules.

Based on wording alone, no these effects should not stack. The skills all state that "the orbs destroyed as a result of battle becomes 2."

Thank you for the answer.

Manage to play a game today. It's weird and interesting at the same time. Guess just need some time to get use to it.

About the rules, I think extra note should be added for support card.

If I'm not wrong, the support only last till the character ends his/her attack/defend. Not throughout the player's turn.

Cause we need to search the forum for info on that.

About this skill of Red Eye Bull Sully

CSS “Aegis” / ∞ / Enemy rear guard units with Bow, Tome, or Stone affinities cannot attack. (CCS: If this unit was placed without the promotion unit cost, this skill is inactive)

It means rear guard enemies can't attack anyone at all?

Eg. Enemy Virion on rear guard. I have Chrom and Sully with "Aegis". Enemy Virion can't attack both Chrom and Sully. That's not wrong, is it?

This is correct, Aegis does not allow enemy vanguard units to initiate any attacks no matter who the target is.

Actually, Robin's skill is actually if you have lesser orbs than your opponent, then her attack is increased by 10. (error in translation, gonna point it out in the other thread)

But generally when a card mentions bonds (Nowi for example) it includes both flipped and unflipped (normal and reversed)

Thanks for the catch on this, the compendium documents have been updated. Regarding bonds, you are right. It has been confirmed that any skill that generally mentions "Bonds" refers to both flipped and unflipped bonds counted as a total whole.

CCS “Wyvern’s Screech” / ∞ / The attack of all ally flying affinity units is increased by 10. (CCS: If this unit was placed without the promotion unit cost, this skill is inactive)

Does Cherche's Wyvern Screech apply to herself as well?

Based on wording alone, the skill specifically mentions "ally" units which would mean all units except Cherche herself. Cherche cannot be an ally to herself.

If a bond is flipped is it now considered colorless while it's in your bond area?

More or less, yeah. Face-down bonds don't count towards color. It does even flat out say that if all your bonds are face-down, then you cannot deploy units. You gotta be careful.

Is there a function for (for example) Frederick's Promotion Cost, other than to indicate that he's a Promoted unit?

I think when they release the next wave of Awakening cards they might include a prepromote card for him. But I imagine that's the case for most of the standalone promoted cards.

More or less, yeah. Face-down bonds don't count towards color. It does even flat out say that if all your bonds are face-down, then you cannot deploy units. You gotta be careful.

Ah, so that's how you'd make a colorless deck.

Just to clarify.

If all orbs are face down, you cannot summon a unit because you do not have the color prequisite for that card. However if I have 1 red bond and 4 flipped bonds, I can still summon 5 one cost red cards, correct?

Just to clarify.

If all orbs are face down, you cannot summon a unit because you do not have the color prequisite for that card. However if I have 1 red bond and 4 flipped bonds, I can still summon 5 one cost red cards, correct?

Yep! Same goes for if you had 1 blue, 1 red and 3 flipped, any combination of red or blue cards adding up to 5 or less can be played.

For Henry, would you need a card in your hand to make "both players discard 1"?

"Each time an ally unit class changes,* both you and your opponent each select one card from your hand and discard it."

I think it's a safe bet to say no. Generally with most card games, it's safe to break down a skill into it's cost/restriction/trigger, and the result. Here, the class change initiates the effect, and the discarding is the result. If the effect had the additional text of "* and you have 1 or more cards in your hand," then you would have to pay attention. So go out cheat Henry's effect to your heart's content!

I've two questions:

Can you promote the one cost red Tiki to the cost two blue one?

When to activate a skill you need to flip a bond, can you flip a flipped bond in order to de-flip it?

Edited by daniel237157

I've two questions:

Can you promote the one cost red Tiki to the cost two blue one?

When to activate a skill you need to flip a bond, can you flip a flipped bond in order to de-flip it?

In Tiki's case it's not a promotion, it's a level up. You can do it, but you don't get promotion bonus of drawing a card.

I want to say no to your next question, because they would need to use different wording to designate restoring a bond. But, honestly I'm not sure.