Argh the Force March question again.

From the main site's FAQ question no. 123

Q.123 (2015/06/24)

■自分のターン中、自分の前衛エリアに1体もユニットがいない場合、進軍しますか?

いいえ、進軍しません。自分のユニットの進軍は、相手のターンにしか発生しません。その場合、相手のターンの開始時にあなたのユニットをすべて進軍させます。

Q: During my own turn, if I have no front row units, does a Forced March occur?

A: No, a Force March does NOT occur. Your Forced March will only occur in your opponent's turn. In this case, your units will be Force Marched forward when your opponent's turn start.

Regarding Class Change and Leveling Up, some extra things to note.

A Class Change is defined as "Placing a card with a Class Change cost onto another card with the same unit name.Draw a card as a class change bonus". Therefore placing a 1 cost Marth on a 3 Cost marth will not let u draw a card.

I have rephrased the Q&A into a statement, and the reference Question number is at the end of the statements.

If you Class Change a unit which is tapped, if stays tapped. (Q220)

A Class Change does not count as a deployment. Therefore skills that says ' If a unit is deployed' etc will not be activated. (Q87)

After a unit is Class Changed, draw a card first, then resolve any skills. (Q89)

You can place an exact same card on top of another existing one on the field (Q85)

Edited by Nanaka

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I'm new, so first of all I've been using this thread and the comprehensive rules to learn the game, and I want to thank all of you for all of this material. It's incredibly helpful.

I have a couple questions after playing a few games (and I'm certain there will be more).

1. Do support skills like Robin's (B01-058N) only activate when the unit they're supporting is attacking? In other words, if my unit is being attacked and I turn over Robin as a support unit, does her support effect apply? I also think of support skills like Fighter's Emblem - does this only apply when I'm attacking?

2. Do units tap in order to use actions? I imagine they don't unless the effect says so. But then I wonder if a tapped unit can use an action skill or not. For example, if I have Lucina (B01-055N) in play and she's tapped, can I still use her action skill to increase her and Chrom's attack by 10?

Hi guys. I'm new, so first of all I've been using this thread and the comprehensive rules to learn the game, and I want to thank all of you for all of this material. It's incredibly helpful.

I have a couple questions after playing a few games (and I'm certain there will be more).

1. Do support skills like Robin's (B01-058N) only activate when the unit they're supporting is attacking? In other words, if my unit is being attacked and I turn over Robin as a support unit, does her support effect apply? I also think of support skills like Fighter's Emblem - does this only apply when I'm attacking?

2. Do units tap in order to use actions? I imagine they don't unless the effect says so. But then I wonder if a tapped unit can use an action skill or not. For example, if I have Lucina (B01-055N) in play and she's tapped, can I still use her action skill to increase her and Chrom's attack by 10?

1. If the support icon has swords on it it only works when you are attacking. Shield icon works when your being attacked. In this case Robin only works when your unit is attacking.

2. As long as you pay the cost to flip 1 bond then Lucina's effect works. You don't tap to use effects unless stated.

Edited by TheVinceKnight

Thanks you! Another question I've seen some talk about is this:

Can I move the last unit in my vanguard back in order to force a forward march? Does this or does this not tap my units? Previous posts seemed unclear or not in agreement (or I just didn't fully understand them, and in that case I apologize).

Okay, thank you.

Follow up question: so then if a forced march taps my units, and it can only happen on my opponent's turn, what's the purpose of tapping them? Can I use any of my unit's skills on my opponent's turn? If I can't, it doesn't seem necessary for my units to tap when they can't do anything anyway (and if I'm missing something really obvious, please call me on it). The timing of how and when skills can activate is still a little fuzzy to me.

Okay, thank you.

Follow up question: so then if a forced march taps my units, and it can only happen on my opponent's turn, what's the purpose of tapping them? Can I use any of my unit's skills on my opponent's turn? If I can't, it doesn't seem necessary for my units to tap when they can't do anything anyway (and if I'm missing something really obvious, please call me on it). The timing of how and when skills can activate is still a little fuzzy to me.

Majority of the skills that work at the moment can only be activated in your Action phase, unless stated otherwise. There aren't many examples of why the game would force you to be tapped under a forced march, but Foleo is a good example right now.

http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Foleo_(Cipher)

Folio's first effect is only active when he is untapped. Perhaps they intend to make effects in a similar fashion to this where X effect only works when your untapped.

You can't use any skills during your opponent's turn, unless they plan to integrate something like that. Forced March is exactly what it is: 'Forced'. Your forced to tap your units as they move up. It may matter in the future, but right now who knows.

Edited by TheVinceKnight

Regarding the Tribe Leader skills for the new cards (they receive bonuses for as long as 2 or more bonds have fang affinity, I believe), does it still work if the bonds are face down? And if it does, can I assume the pnly thing different between face up and face down bonds is whether the insignia (color) is there or not?

Also, does Class Change require color? As in, do I need a red card bond (face up) to turn my level 1 Marth, into level 4 Marth? Or can I do it even if all the bonds are face down?

Regarding the Tribe Leader skills for the new cards (they receive bonuses for as long as 2 or more bonds have fang affinity, I believe), does it still work if the bonds are face down? And if it does, can I assume the pnly thing different between face up and face down bonds is whether the insignia (color) is there or not?

Also, does Class Change require color? As in, do I need a red card bond (face up) to turn my level 1 Marth, into level 4 Marth? Or can I do it even if all the bonds are face down?

I believe a bond needs to be face-up for it to count, just like how you can only deploy a certain unit if you have that bond colour face-up.

Class Change is similar to deploying so you would need a red card bond as well.

I'm a little bit unsure but I think I'm right.

A few more questions:

1. First of all, the comprehensive rules still notes that a player can make a forced march, so if that's not true perhaps it should be updated.

2. Are attack assigned all at once, or individually?

3. The comprehensive rules say that the order of what happens in the opening phase doesn't matter. Is this true? I know steps like this in other games are highly specific.

4. This seems like an obvious "yes" to me, but can each player have the same unit on the field at the same time?

5. The comprehensive rules say that units can be leveled down; can they be demoted by the same method?

Edited by JoxerTheMighty

Thanks guys. I was just confused because one of the cards on the wiki has a comment saying you can use face down bonds, but the other color card doesn't say anything. It makes more sense if they don't count though, and I'd prefer it that way because I'd like more of a balance when considering bonds.

A few more questions:

1. First of all, the comprehensive rules still notes that a player can make a forced march, so if that's not true perhaps it should be updated.

2. Are attack assigned all at once, or individually?

3. The comprehensive rules say that the order of what happens in the opening phase doesn't matter. Is this true? I know steps like this in other games are highly specific.

4. This seems like an obvious "yes" to me, but can each player have the same unit on the field at the same time?

5. The comprehensive rules say that units can be leveled down; can they be demoted by the same method?

1) You can make the forced march happen but it won't happen during your turn. If you leave your front line open during your turn, at the start of the opponent's turn your whole back line will move up (no one wants that right).

2) Each attack is individual.

3) I don't know how to answer your question, but unless you mean by Draw Phase -> Bond Phase -> Deployment -> Action then I don't know. It probably doesn't matter too much but you'd probably want to draw first before bonding or deploying cards.

4) Each player can't have more than one of the same unit of the same name on the field. (e.g you can't have two Marths)

5) Yes, it would be levelling down / demoted. If you have the bonds to demote and repromote you can do that as well.

I know this has been asked already, but does level 1 Lucina counting as Marth only apply when she's deployed? And can you discard a Marth for her to crit? And also promote Into Marth?

My interpretation of this is that her skill is only active when she's out, and that you can discard Marth for her crits, promote her into Marth, and cannot be supported by Marth, whereas it's the opposite for Marth since lucinas skills wouldn't be into effect since, she's not deployed, meaning no discarding her for Marth, no level down into her, and she can support Marth.

Is my interpretation correct? Can someone clarify when in specific are skills active?

Thanks in advance

1) You can make the forced march happen but it won't happen during your turn. If you leave your front line open during your turn, at the start of the opponent's turn your whole back line will move up (no one wants that right).

2) Each attack is individual.

3) I don't know how to answer your question, but unless you mean by Draw Phase -> Bond Phase -> Deployment -> Action then I don't know. It probably doesn't matter too much but you'd probably want to draw first before bonding or deploying cards.

4) Each player can't have more than one of the same unit of the same name on the field. (e.g you can't have two Marths)

5) Yes, it would be levelling down / demoted. If you have the bonds to demote and repromote you can do that as well.

3) i think he means Draw, untap and any skills that activate here such as camilla. Order of these do not matter.

I know this has been asked already, but does level 1 Lucina counting as Marth only apply when she's deployed? And can you discard a Marth for her to crit? And also promote Into Marth?

My interpretation of this is that her skill is only active when she's out, and that you can discard Marth for her crits, promote her into Marth, and cannot be supported by Marth, whereas it's the opposite for Marth since lucinas skills wouldn't be into effect since, she's not deployed, meaning no discarding her for Marth, no level down into her, and she can support Marth.

Is my interpretation correct? Can someone clarify when in specific are skills active?

Thanks in advance

Lucina first skill is special(note the purple icon). It is active at all times whether its in your hand or deck. So you can use her as a evade/crit and support will fail if it is for marth.

Lucina's skill is classified as Special skill, which only she and Foleo have so far I think. It's active at all times.

Marth and Lucina level 1 cannot support eachother, and be can used to dodge and crit for eachother.

Also turn order: (Actions in a phase can be done in any order)

-I think "Start of your turn" effects like Ryoma and Camilla go here?

-Start Phase: Draw, Untap field

-Bond Phase: Play Bond

-Deploy Phase: Deploy stuff, Class Changes, Levelups, Leveldowns

-Action Phase: Movement, Attacks, ACT skills.

-End Phase (Nowi2 only so far? Cordelia2 says "in between turns"...)

Edited by Tuvillo

Also turn order: (Actions in a phase can be done in any order)

-I think "Start of your turn" effects like Ryoma and Camilla go here?

-Start Phase: Draw, Untap field

-Bond Phase: Play Bond

-Deploy Phase: Deploy stuff, Class Changes, Levelups, Leveldowns

-Action Phase: Movement, Attacks, ACT skills.

-End Phase (Nowi2 only so far? Cordelia2 says "in between turns"...)

Looks correct. just not sure if the skills go together with the start phase

I'd like to know if there's any card effects that destroy triggering stuff like Pieri.

Pieri needs stuff to be "destroyed by battle", according to translations, but almost every card that destroys by an effect also says "destroy it by battle" (Henry, CorrinF5, Wrys)

I'm currently ignoring the "by battle" stuff and only discriminate between "Destroyed" and "Destroyed by attack" for now, and would like to know if that's currently correct.