Amazon reviews. Not looking too good.

Frostheat

Yikes.

Regardless, take Amazon reviews especially with a grain of salt. Those guys are audacious enough to say whatever they want, whether it makes sense or not.

Like the others have said, Amazon reviewers are.... harsh. They're not always wrong but if they find something wrong, they will get angry and berate the game however the can. There are some other threads that have people asking similar questions, check those out if you can.

It's usually the same on Metacritic, a lot of people simply complain because they enjoy doing it.

Regardless, if they talk about the third path and how the game is more or less constructed in a way so that you have to play it, then they have a damn valid point, and it's honestly something to be a bit bitter about.

I do not think they should be completely disregarded, as they are still people who are still having some sort of issue with the game in some way.

But yes, it should not be taken as an extremely valid opinion among the general populace. It's rating is fairly well on the eShop, for instance. I'll take a look at some examples later.

Edited by Kirokan

Regardless, if they talk about the third path and how the game is more or less constructed in a way so that you have to play it, then they have a damn valid point, and it's honestly something to be a bit bitter about.

There were a couple of reviews that mentioned that they didn't like that you had to pay 2000 more yen to finish off the story.

But, to the extent that you follow such reviews, the main bad points talked about seemed to be that the beginning seemed a bit rushed (so that you were forced to make a decision before you really knew what was going on), My Castle seemed to take a lot of time away from the battles and 'tempo' of the story, and of course, there were a lot of things said about our darling FE Amie...

EDIT

However, even the 1 and 2 star reviews are making a point of noting that the battle maps, battle mechanics, new classes and music are absolutely spectacular. So there's that.

Edited by Sky Soldier

Amazon reviewers may be harsh, but many of them (not all, of course) are raising valid points about the story, the characters, the tone and the fanservice, among other things. They're not just complaining for the sake of complaining, a good portion of these reviews were written by long time fans of the series who are genuinely disappointed with Fates.

And while Amazon reviews might not be representative for the general populace, they're generally more informative than Famitsu scores have ever been!

Edited by Icy Toast

Amazon reviewers may be harsh, but many of them (not all, of course) are raising valid points about the story, the characters, the tone and the fanservice, among other things. They're not just complaining for the sake of complaining, a good portion of these reviews were written by long time fans of the series who are genuinely disappointed with Fates.And while Amazon reviews might not be representative for the general populace, they're generally more informative than Famitsu scores have ever been!

Well if we talk about Famitsu we can just grab an old apple out of the trash and the quality would be better than the reviews famitsu gives.

but hey I'm not a long time fan. I don't care about the two bases. It just like ingame I would join the third route. Wjile hoshido being the veterans and nohr the new ones. It doesn't matter. And tbh when was a fe plot ever good?

Could be worse. Could be Tales of Zestiria.

Most of the lower reviews -- although even 4 star reviews mention it -- understandably criticise the pricing and necessity of the third path. A few point out that it is too much of a dating sim game for their tastes, which detracts from the actual SRPG elements, while others found the plot boring/too similar to Awakening. It's not much different from the concerns seen here.

Amazon reviewers may be harsh, but many of them (not all, of course) are raising valid points about the story, the characters, the tone and the fanservice, among other things. They're not just complaining for the sake of complaining, a good portion of these reviews were written by long time fans of the series that are genuinely disappointed with Fates.

I myself am a long time fan, yet I found some points that the reviewers points of the game I liked. Hell, I enjoyed Amie so I don't think being a long-time fan necessarily means their point is more valid then ones who isn't. But yeah, some of these points are valid and do have merit to them that I agree with.

I think that some of it could just be that the game changes some things and people don't like change, understandably.

This is all just my opinion, do with it what you will. I liked the game. They didn't seem as fond.

Most of the negative reviews on Tales of Zesteria was because they heavily featured a girl to be the main heroine (even gave an anime short before release), only it turns out she's only in the party for maybe the first fraction of the game and then never comes back again because she's too busy building a bridge.

And then sold DLC playing as her.

It's important to know that you don't have to purchase the product on Amazon in order to leave a review there, so yeah, they can be quite prone to troll reviews.

I myself am a long time fan, yet I found some points that the reviewers points of the game I liked. Hell, I enjoyed Amie so I don't think being a long-time fan necessarily means their point is more valid then ones who isn't. But yeah, some of these points are valid and do have merit to them that I agree with.

I think that some of it could just be that the game changes some things and people don't like change, understandably.

This is all just my opinion, do with it what you will. I liked the game. They didn't seem as fond.

Oh, I absolutely didn't mean to say that 'long time fans' should agree with what these reviewers are saying, or that them being long time fans somehow makes their point more valid, I just wanted to point out that portraying the critical reviewers as trolls of some sort who shouldn't be taken seriously wouldn't quite do them justice. Edited by Icy Toast

Amazon reviews tend to be like this, don't take them too seriously, especially when is videogame focused, since a lot of times is people just trolling or being mad about small things(or things that don't make sense), heck I even read about someone complaining about why it does not ship to its country and because of that it gave a 1 star, or how people rate 1 star half of the amiibos like if they were forced to buy them.

Regardless, take Amazon reviews especially with a grain of salt. Those guys are audacious enough to say whatever they want, whether it makes sense or not.

This. Zesteria got 1s across the board because of "you know who". Yes, the anger might have been warranted, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Edited by SilverPants

This. Zesteria got 1s across the board because of "you know who". Yes, the anger might have been warranted, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

Never mind that the Tales series is widely and specifically known for doing things like that with their stories. You'd think they'd know...