Nintendo NX Leaked?

Sentacotus

I have not done much research on this but I figured I might as well post it here for you all to see and speculate on. Most likely fake aside from the shareholder statistics which are interesting if you're into that kind of stuff.

Here is a video of Etika covering it and how I originally found out about it.

Original/fake reveal video

However, these things are not fake:

Shareholder ratings. http://nintendoeverything.com/approval-ratings-of-nintendo-directors-rise-at-recent-shareholders-meeting/

Details on the 75th annual shareholder meeting http://nintendoeverything.com/details-from-nintendos-75th-annual-general-meeting-of-shareholders/

What could this mean? The rise in the shareholders ratings and sudden optimistic outlook despite the Wii U's slow sales? What about DeNa? How much life does the 3DS still have in it? What exactly will the NX even be in the first place?

Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z.

Some interesting things said about NX in the share holder meeting.

– Q3: Consecutive launches of 3DS and Wii U were a failure. 3DS recovered with a revised price, but Wii U can’t. Will NX suffer too?

As you say, the launches didn’t go well. Especially the Wii U. The 3DS was restructured domestically with several measures. The Wii U has not been restructured. Looking back, the DS didn’t sell very well right away, but was propelled by Brain Training. Ideally sales would start well, but only Wii has really done that. NX was announced as a new platform alongside the DeNA venture. The NX was announced then to indicate that we are not retreating from game platforms and will continue the hardware business. Normally, the announcement would’ve been made later. It was like revealing a magic trick ahead of time. New proposals require surprises to follow. Such information on the NX won’t be announced until 2016. No announcements today. Third-party hardware selections are based primarily upon install base numbers. Several unannounced collaborations with 3rd-parties are making progress.

– Q7: As a game fan, I’m worried about the split between the NX and Wii U.

Iwata: We can’t talk about the NX. If we do, competitors may take our ideas and customers won’t be surprised. This would not be beneficial for the company or its shareholders. The NX is new hardware, and will start from 0. However, the 3DS and Wii U have install bases. Immediately cutting off SW for previous HW upon the release of a new machine is inefficient. We will continue making 3DS/Wii SW while preparing for the NX. We are prioritizing satisfying customers who purchased the Wii U.

Edited by LordTaco42

Thats possible. However, I think the confirmation that they're still in the hardware business, company being profitable for the first time in 3 years, coupled with the DeNa announcement also had something to do with it.

xD i saw a comment that said his hair looks like final destination and i can't uns--i mean

i don't know maybe it is fake, maybe there's some truth....though i don't really agree with the part about how nintendo would never try to link themselves to tablets and stuff because who knows how many people actually oppose that stuff? he does say something about how miyamoto thinks tablets endagered the wii u but maybe he was wrong or changed his mind since then. and maybe nintendo didn't show zelda at e3 because they're saving it for next gen. idk.

xD i saw a comment that said his hair looks like final destination and i can't uns--i mean

i don't know maybe it is fake, maybe there's some truth....though i don't really agree with the part about how nintendo would never try to link themselves to tablets and stuff because who knows how many people actually oppose that stuff? he does say something about how miyamoto thinks tablets endagered the wii u but maybe he was wrong or changed his mind since then. and maybe nintendo didn't show zelda at e3 because they're saving it for next gen. idk.

First off holy crap it does look like Final Destination :wtf:

Zelda is actually coming to the Wii U. Iwata has gone on record saying that.

I can fully expect the NX to be a cross-hybrid, but yeah, the video's fake. The things to me that point that out to me.

1. They said this was shown off during the shareholder's meeting, in Japan. Why then, would any part of the video be in English, especially a good portion of it.

2. Ignoring the English in the trailer, the part that stood out to me was the bullet point near the end "proper account and reward system". The wording is off to me. I'd imagine them saying something else when addressing an account system, but not "proper".

Etika's fanbase is a joke, all they do is spam perverted comments and Lenny Faces each video. It's actually very funny.

Video is most likely fake, the tablet thing makes it hard to believe. The "new control with a familiar design" ruins it too.

Edited by Rabbattack

I think it's very fake. It's dumb to show a new console without a graphics test, plus Zelda U is coming to, well, Wii U.

Yeah I figured that the "reveal" video was fake the shareholder questions kind of prove that. The questions do reveal some interesting information like how the NX is being worked on from the ground up as new hardware entirely and how they are not so much as talking about it until 2016 because they don't want their competitors to get the details too soon suggesting that it is their new home console. Alot of people were speculating that the NX could be a handheld.

Yeah I figured that the "reveal" video was fake the shareholder questions kind of prove that. The questions do reveal some interesting information like how the NX is being worked on from the ground up as new hardware entirely and how they are not so much as talking about it until 2016 because they don't want their competitors to get the details too soon suggesting that it is their new home console. Alot of people were speculating that the NX could be a handheld.

This is also something I consider pretty likely. The 3DS has been out for over 4 years now, so it's nearing the end of it's lifespan. They're going to need something to fill the void.

This is also something I consider pretty likely. The 3DS has been out for over 4 years now, so it's nearing the end of it's lifespan. They're going to need something to fill the void.

Like always we will have to wait and see although the gist I get from the shareholder questions is that the NX will be a new home console. I mean they could release another handheld but what real reason aside from it being out for 4 years do they have to make another handheld? The 3DS is dominating as is and it doesn't look like Sony has any plans to do another PSP and has all but been eradicated from the handheld gaming market despite having some solid titles on the Vita. They already came out with the "New" 3DS which even though its more like a 3DS.5 does have more processing power than the 3DS.

And lets face it Nintendo wants to move on from the Wii U for a variety of reasons.

well the OG ds came out in 04 and the dsi came out in 09 and the 3ds came out in 2011

the GBC came out in 98 and the GBA came out in 01

Nintendo gives there handheld hardware revisions at least a good 3 years before they come out with a new one

I imagine the NX will be the successor to the Wii u considering it's doing worse than the GameCube ever did in terms of sales and major third party support

and on another note the I'm old enough to remember Nintendo saying the whole "we'll keep the other systems around for another few years" and "the third pillar" don't mean anything. I can pretty much assure you that the big N will drop the wii u as soon as the NX is released

edit: after watching the fake vid I must admit I really like that controller

Edited by Captain Karnage

and on another note the I'm old enough to remember Nintendo saying the whole "we'll keep the other systems around for another few years" and "the third pillar" don't mean anything. I can pretty much assure you that the big N will drop the wii u as soon as the NX is released

edit: after watching the fake vid I must admit I really like that controller

Nintendo has always historically done that. Just look at how fast they dropped the Wii once the Wii U came out and that was the best selling Nintendo system to date. Same thing happened from SNES to N64 and N64 to Gamecube.

I say this NX business is fake.

First off, it'd only be four years since the release of the Wii U. I know they got up to a rough start, but their recent games such as Splatoon and Smash Bros have picked up sales, so I wouldn't get to thinking about jumping to the next level yet.

Second, Zelda U hasn't even been shown off extensively. It was outright bypassed this year at E3, and considering it looks to be a big game, why would they release it so close to the apparent date of the NX release, even with the Nintendo Directs? Also, didn't I hear that Pokken Tournament was supposed to come out for the Wii U sometime after we found out about it, yet the only Pokken content shown in English so far was a trailer that stated that it will be released in arcades in Japan? Pokemon doesn't even have a big game (sorry, Rumble) for the Wii U yet.

Third, the release date is in July, one month from school starting. This is an awkward month to release a console, when it should be released at a more reasonable month such as late in the year, when it is the holidays, and people will be buying gifts. Early Summer works as well, as people are usually starting to get out of school, and they can go buy a new console to keep them occupied on break. July seems too late.

That's why I'm very certain that the NX information is baloney. Tell me if I missed something for or against my points.

I say this NX business is fake.

First off, it'd only be four years since the release of the Wii U. I know they got up to a rough start, but their recent games such as Splatoon and Smash Bros have picked up sales, so I wouldn't get to thinking about jumping to the next level yet.

Second, Zelda U hasn't even been shown off extensively. It was outright bypassed this year at E3, and considering it looks to be a big game, why would they release it so close to the apparent date of the NX release, even with the Nintendo Directs? Also, didn't I hear that Pokken Tournament was supposed to come out for the Wii U sometime after we found out about it, yet the only Pokken content shown in English so far was a trailer that stated that it will be released in arcades in Japan? Pokemon doesn't even have a big game (sorry, Rumble) for the Wii U yet.

Third, the release date is in July, one month from school starting. This is an awkward month to release a console, when it should be released at a more reasonable month such as late in the year, when it is the holidays, and people will be buying gifts. Early Summer works as well, as people are usually starting to get out of school, and they can go buy a new console to keep them occupied on break. July seems too late.

That's why I'm very certain that the NX information is baloney. Tell me if I missed something for or against my points.

1. Nintendo does seem ready to pull the plug on the Wii U. While they do have their fair share of titles coming out this year I think they have made it pretty apparent that they are ready to put their plans on their next console into motion. In alot of ways they've outright admitted to the Wii U being a commercial failure.

2. Well Twilight Princess was a game released at the very end of the GCN's life and ported over to play on the Wii so it wouldn't be the first time. Although I don't think that will happen with the Wii U since its yet to have a Zelda game to call its own yet. Whereas the GCN already had Windwaker.

3. I agree July is an awkward time and just because they put them into the production line doesn't essentially mean release in the same month. It could be them making sure the factories are tooled appropriately and ensure an adequate stock at the time of release later in the year presumabley in the Holidays. Their history doesn't really support it either given that their last three home consoles were all sold in November timeframe.

Also here is this rumor. Take it with a grain of salt. And god I hope this isn't true.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/07/rumour_nintendo_nx_wont_be_as_powerful_as_playstation_4

Rumor is that the NX will not be as powerful as the PS4. I don't know who the guy is who tweeted about it is but he is apparently "reliable" and been right about alot of Nintendo things in the past. Although I'd be lying if I didn't say that I'm quite skeptical on his reliability and if this will actually turn out to be true.

Edited by LordTaco42

Meh, it wouldn't bother me if the NX wasn't as powerful as the PS4. As long as it's more powerful than the Wii U, and has an actually decent gimmick I don't care. I already have a power console at home: it's the PS4. I don't need another.

Meh, it wouldn't bother me if the NX wasn't as powerful as the PS4. As long as it's more powerful than the Wii U, and has an actually decent gimmick I don't care. I already have a power console at home: it's the PS4. I don't need another.

I hear what you're saying but it would be nice to see some third parties be able to release their titles on Nintendo's system as well and quite frankly as a business I think they need it if for nothing else consumer confidence.

If the NX needs a gimmick, (and it's Nintendo, there will be one) it needs to be one that is inexpensive to produce, and if it's on the controller, it needs to not impede with the standard model for third-party games and four controllers must be affordable.

I hear what you're saying but it would be nice to see some third parties be able to release their titles on Nintendo's system as well and quite frankly as a business I think they need it if for nothing else consumer confidence.

Personally I'm hoping for NX to be a handheld-console hybrid. I'm not sure if that would be easy for third parties to work on because I don't know much about coding in general. If you know about that would you mind explaining it to me? Preferably in terms my little bunny brain can handle.

Personally I'm hoping for NX to be a handheld-console hybrid. I'm not sure if that would be easy for third parties to work on because I don't know much about coding in general. If you know about that would you mind explaining it to me? Preferably in terms my little bunny brain can handle.

About coding specifically? No I just know general things and I'll use the Wii U as an example.

From a sheer power standpoint it is supposedley around the PS3 (maybe slightly less powerful). However, it only has 2GB of RAM as compared to the Xbox One and PS4 which both have 8GB which is a big limitation for developers. I could go on about the specs but I'll just drop a link here for you to see. The chart is pretty simple and you can see where the Wii U falls short specs wise.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_vs._Wii_U_Comparison_Chart

The biggest thing however, is the system architecture. While the Xbox One and PS4 use x86 based architecture the Wii U has some proprietary architecture completely unique to it that no one other than Nintendo really knows about. The closest thing to it is the Xbox 360's and even then there are alot of differences. This is partly why initial third party support was decent and 360/PS3 titles were ported over. However, come the Xbox One and PS4 it raises development costs and time having to be put in to get the game running on the Wii U and it was already apparent at that time that the Wii U wasn't selling well so the investment in time and money to develop for the Wii U to sell maybe 5 copies of Watchdogs just wasn't worth it.

Now for a handheld hybrid its very possible but statements by Reggie and others seem to hint that it will be a full blown console. If it is than I really don't know how things would pan out from there or really what it would be.

Key things would be the architecture since thats how the console processes information reads code etc and having specs that can at least be on par with the PS4/XBONE. However, since it will likely be the first of the next gen they might have to give it more power to do the same games that the next offerings from Sony and Microsoft.

Edited by LordTaco42

Now for a handheld hybrid its very possible but statements by Reggie and others seem to hint that it will be a full blown console. If it is than I really don't know how things would pan out from there or really what it would be.

Key things would be the architecture since thats how the console processes information reads code etc and having specs that can at least be on par with the PS4/XBONE. However, since it will likely be the first of the next gen they might have to give it more power to do the same games that the next offerings from Sony and Microsoft.

For a hybrid it could be that Nintendo is attempting to market it as a console that you can take anywhere. That could explain Reggie's comments.

Ahh, so unless Nintendo has a training course on their architecture they've basically dug the grave for the NX. That's interesting.

For a hybrid it could be that Nintendo is attempting to market it as a console that you can take anywhere. That could explain Reggie's comments.

Ahh, so unless Nintendo has a training course on their architecture they've basically dug the grave for the NX. That's interesting.

Yeah they've had a habit of doing that for various reasons. First it was the decision to use cartridges over CD's with the N64, then it was to use proprietary optical media with only a 1GB of storage compared to DVD's which could store much more info, with the Wii it was power but because of a massive install base they got alot of shovelware and rode the gimmick to the bank, with the Wii U it was a combination of alot of things along with whats stated above.

Some of their decisions kinda make sense but some of them you shake your head over. For example, people are quick to blame them for not switching over to CD's with the N64 but little is known that after the debacle with Sony of the the Playstation and Phillips they had made a deal to cede the CD format over to Sony in exchange for getting the license and profits of their games back. It essentially became a choice of their IPs or the format. With the GCN they did it to mitigate piracy. Makes sense but the benefit of using the DVD medium far outweighed the negatives of piracy and it bit them in the ass. The Wii was a huge risk but to put it in perspective the GCN was more powerful than the PS2 and only slightly less powerful than the Xbox and both outsold it so I'd venture to say that that sent a message to the company about where it stands on "power".

This is getting off topic and could easily have a thread of its own but its interesting nontheless.

Edited by LordTaco42