Why so much hate?

Mekalygie

This game, although it has only been out a week, and is not even out yet in other countries, seems to receive a LOT of hate.

I see people complaining about the fanservice, the supports, the bathhouses, the skinship (particularly), the incest (which isn't even incest), sometimes even the gameplay, the story, the characters, on and on and on.....

I mean, I haven't played it, and I tend to avoid spoilers as much as possible, but does it really deserve this much hate? I've been incredibly hyped for this title, and I still am, but now the unending complaining I see everywhere on the internet is taking its toll on my hype, and I hate that. :( It seems like I'm the only one who still loves everything presented about it, and that's sad. I wonder is the game really that bad, or are people just too high on their expectations and still cling to the "traditional" Fire Emblem? What do you think? Should I just avoid forums and the like in order for me to enjoy the news as they come? (which would be pretty sad when you think about it)

If you insert spoilers, please put them in spoiler tags, so I know to avoid reading them

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It comes down to preference and opinion.

I haven't played any of the routes so I wont judge it till it comes out here in the states.

It hasn't been all negative there has been some real positive feedback as well among these are its presentation and gameplay.

Einstein's Relative Theory of fandoms: Success = Results - Expectations

Since everyone's expectations were through the roof, no matter what IS put out there, there was going to be backlash. Everyone will probably calm down once they've had some time to put their perspectives in order.

I haven't played the game yet, so I don't know, but I feel like a lot of the hate is not so much hate so much as it is disappointment, mostly towards the Nohr storyline and some characters. Personally, I am trying to keep an open mind towards the game and will reserve judgement until I play it myself.

Really, just remember that humans will much rather complain about something small than praise something big. Don't forget that the general sentiment that I have been getting from this forum regarding the gameplay has been really good.

It's generally a bad idea to over hype anything in the first place.

As for the game itself, I'm playing it right now and it's pretty good so far. It's not perfect, but no game is perfect anyways.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I've seen some people on other parts of the internet spreading around misinformation about this game such as, "you can make character strip in front of you while you rub their bodies and they moan and say lewd things back to you." or "the two homosexual character they put in this game are psychopathic murderers" or the incest thing like you mentioned.

Edited by SilverPants

^
Really exaggerating the AMIE feature aren't they?

As for the gay options the supports weren't half bad and while the characters would not be my first choice as good models for representation they are not as bad as people are making them out to be.

The incest thing is well decisive despite the actual circumstances.

Edited by Iron Griffin

I think this is a case of hype backlash, Awakening release hype thread only has around 90-ish pages while Fates has over 300+ pages. People already broken the game to the very core by hacking to get their hand on the DLCs and the third route. With the news of gay marriages and other big publicity, no other FE titles has received this much of attentions. When bad news start spreading, it will betray people's expectation. Awakening is my favorite FE game, so I didn't put too much hype into Fates while keeping it modest. But certainly people who dislike Awakening are putting expectation way beyond what it should been.

The way I see it, people are much more likely to post complaints than praise. This game has sold a whole lot for a strategy game, more sales = more people playing = more complaints. Go to pretty much any popular game board, and you'll constantly see a lot of complaints against it, despite it being a popular and loved game.

If that helps you regain your hype at all, I found the game to be utterly amazing personally. I was extremely hyped for this game, and overall it exceeded my expectations. Yes, there's some aspects I don't like much, but overall? It's amazing.

I honestly felt bad about buying a Japanese 3DS just for this game and Langrisser Reincarnation. I could afford it, but I felt it was a waste of money. After having played one of the FE Fate paths, I don't feel bad at all with my 3ds purchase anymore. I feel it was worth the cost.

I'm not sure if I'm more tired of people complaining about the game, or people complaining about other people complaining about the game.

New game hype works both ways. You can either be blinded by it on the first run through, or be disappointed that it didn't live up to your expectations. Fates in particular also includes some elements that may be base-breaking, and while I don't approve of the massive stink some people make about it we are also free to not like things and express that as long as we're not being terrible to other people about it.

This really goes both ways, and I think what's causing the biggest division in this fan base right now is this attitude of us vs. them. We are not made up of "FE veterans who are stuck in their old archaic ways" or "Awakening otaku crowd newbies". People are not one or the other, and every time I see people try to make liking Fates or Awakening or the old FEs an "us vs them" issue I just think people don't understand other people or themselves.

What this entire fandom really needs is a damn chill pill. Good thing I already took mine.

Regardless of the game, and regardless of the region, people will always bitch about everything for literally anything.

This. This so much. It applies to basically everything. I mean look at Awakening, a good example of this. It saved the series but people complained about characters and how linear the story was. Yet it still saved the series because so many other people liked/loved it.

What this entire fandom really needs is a damn chill pill. Good thing I already took mine.

You got another one for me?

Edited by DualMix

You can't please everyone. It's inevitable that some people won't like what you like, you need to accept it. But at the same time, they may have their own reasons and opinions that simply don't apply to you. There's no reason to care about what they think, unless you only want your viewpoint to be popular. I've learnt this the hard way.

If the negativity is just bringing down your mood, take a break from it. Though, I would recommend not getting too caught up in the hype for this game. If your expectations are too high you will only be disappointed when you actually play the game.

The only "hate" I'm seeing is from people who haven't played the game yet.

I state my complaints and have played and understood both games : ( but if you mean harsh hatred/baseless complaints, then maybe this is true.

The way I see it, people are much more likely to post complaints than praise. This game has sold a whole lot for a strategy game, more sales = more people playing = more complaints. Go to pretty much any popular game board, and you'll constantly see a lot of complaints against it, despite it being a popular and loved game.

If that helps you regain your hype at all, I found the game to be utterly amazing personally. I was extremely hyped for this game, and overall it exceeded my expectations. Yes, there's some aspects I don't like much, but overall? It's amazing.

I honestly felt bad about buying a Japanese 3DS just for this game and Langrisser Reincarnation. I could afford it, but I felt it was a waste of money. After having played one of the FE Fate paths, I don't feel bad at all with my 3ds purchase anymore. I feel it was worth the cost.

I agree, I too would more often talk about a downside than an upside to the game. I think upsides go without being said. If there is not a complaint from someone about it, perhaps they were neutral or liked it. : )

I liked the games a lot overall, it certainly did more/was better than Awakening for me. My main complaints revolve around some issues with the story and seemingly biased nature toward the third path, but certainly does not mean it is suddenly the worst thing ever.

It is also a question of exposure. All the "hate" you may be seeing about those extra features I've rarely seen from fellow players, most just use it for supports or tend to ignore it entirely. : )

Hype should also be kept in control, you can only be disappointed if your expectations were too high, right?

Edited by Kirokan

You can't please everyone. It's inevitable that some people won't like what you like, you need to accept it. But at the same time, they may have their own reasons and opinions that simply don't apply to you. There's no reason to care about what they think, unless you only want your viewpoint to be popular. I've learnt this the hard way.

If the negativity is just bringing down your mood, take a break from it. Though, I would recommend not getting too caught up in the hype for this game. If your expectations are too high you will only be disappointed when you actually play the game.

Here's the thing, I really like the presentation for this game, but I'm not going around like "O M GEE FE FATES IS BEST GAME EVAR IF U DONT LIKE IT U SUCK!!11!11!!". No. I know people will not like the game and others will and that's just fine, that's what opinions are for. What brings me down, however, is when I see constant negativity about the same subjects that have already been aborded countless times, and people still complain about the same thing over and over. For example, I've seen hate on skinship ever since it appeared (the most controversial feature imo), and at the beginning I understood how people could be weirded out by it. But now the game is out and we've known about this feature for quite a while, and people are still complaining about it. At this point I'm thinking: "We get it. You don't like it. Could you please talk about something else?". That's just beating a dead horse now, and I feel like it's people complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Now, if it's just to express an opinion once, that's fine. It IS a forum after all, where people are there for this exact purpose. But I've seen the same people posting SEVERAL times about the exact same thing just to make sure that others know how much they HATE this or that.

I don't know, maybe I'm just overly sensitive or spend too much time on this forum but I feel like I see more and more of this, and it's getting on my nerves. :/

Also sorry for the rant there

I think part of it is the telephone effect. We're all presumably english speakers here, so we only have english language resources... about a game that, at the moment, is only in Japanese.

One person who has played it in Japanese says 'Nohr route's storyline was pretty disappointing, it was still kind of standard FE,' the next person passes that info along as "Nohr's storyline isn't that good," the next person passes that along as "Nohr's storyline sucks," etc etc, until you've got an echo chamber of incredibly negative opinions, just because one of the few people in the english speaking fandom who's played it expressed some mild criticism.

Edited by Endomorph

You should definitely ignore the people who keep going on about it. They are trying to provoke controversy/flamewars and get attention. If you complain back at them, you're only going to encourage them.

Eventually the forums will calm down once the novelty of the game being out in Japan is over.

Don't worry about it, the occasional rant is good for you. Better out than in.

Edited by Baldrick

Yeah, I haven't played the game, but the reason why I hate is because from what I've seen and heard of Fates so far, it's not like what FE used to be. Maps aren't puzzling anymore, the game isn't strategic but more trivial with grinding and skill building, fanservice just feels demoralizing because all the characters in FE now have to sexy or look perfectly flawless and they keep simplifying the game. I'm all for the game getting newcomers, but if they advertised FE more like Awakening with the recent games then FE would have never of been like this and people would still enjoy the like how it used to be.

To completely get a good aspect of the game, I'll need to buy it first.

Maps aren't puzzling anymore, the game isn't strategic but more trivial with grinding and skill building

Where are you hearing that? I've seen pretty much unanimous praise regarding the gameplay and the strategy needed for this game compared to Awakening.

Where are you hearing that? I've seen pretty much unanimous praise regarding the gameplay and the strategy needed for this game compared to Awakening.

Yes, can vouch for this, especially in the Nohr path.

This will sound obvious, but don't let the hate get to you.

Sure, I've been reading the boards and chiming in here and there, and I can see why some features are disliked. However, it is one thing to notice something in the game and critique it and another to constantly talk about the same topic over and over. Some topics here on the Fates subforum I just skip over completely because it seems to be an endless argument that provides little to no value.

I have read these threads and watched some streams to experience Fates through other people, however the final judgement will have to wait until it comes stateside. Despite the criticisms, Fates (in my eyes) still looks to be be an excellent game in the Fire Emblem franchise and I look forward to the third path, DLC, and even the next installment.

"It is one thing to critique the game in the hopes of making the next one better. It is another to outright bash it without actually offering a better alternative or an explanation on why one believes it sucks."

You think this is bad? You should try some other sites. There was a thread which started by stating the game sold well and it devolved into how the game should have sold like shit and deserved to die because it encouraged date rape. No, I don't know how we got there but that's how much virtirol is headed towards the game. There's petitions to cancel it or to censor it. There's people spreading misinformation to make sure this game seems like the devil. It seems like there is a concentrated effort to make sure this game sells poorly and its driving me up a wall.

I think this is a case of hype backlash, Awakening release hype thread only has around 90-ish pages while Fates has over 300+ pages. People already broken the game to the very core by hacking to get their hand on the DLCs and the third route. With the news of gay marriages and other big publicity, no other FE titles has received this much of attentions. When bad news start spreading, it will betray people's expectation. Awakening is my favorite FE game, so I didn't put too much hype into Fates while keeping it modest. But certainly people who dislike Awakening are putting expectation way beyond what it should been.

It's funny this game got so much hype considering I really feel a good number of FE veterans who weren't crazy about Awakening were apprehensive about this game. One week it was "this game sounds so cool, I'm excited for [insert feature]" then next week some news would come out that would make some of the fanbase really salty (hi facerubbing!). I felt like given the controversy over some of the new features people would have had lower expectations for this game.

Probably from the same people OP is talking about just incessantly badgering the game, although I haven't seen any real reviews as I've been trying to avoid spoilers and most people's opinion's on the game.

I state my complaints and have played and understood both games : ( but if you mean harsh hatred/baseless complaints, then maybe this is true.

Well, to be fair, I haven't seen every person's feedback; however, I have seen a few complaints regarding the story and characters and such. The "hate" I've seen the most of is people trashing the game because they don't like the direction the franchise is going. Whether it's the new gameplay elements, mechanics, or the extended fanservice, they just cannot accept the "new" Fire Emblem and do not want to. Not just veterans, either. Even people that had their start with Awakening. But that's enough dead horse beating.

all the characters in FE now have to sexy or look perfectly flawless

Isn't that how all past Fire Emblems were? Good looking characters are a given in any Japanese game in general if you want to sell more than 5 copies, like how western games have bald angry space marines. If you're taking about the weird outfits they wear then blame Kozaki. they'll probably change artists again soon anyways, like they always do every few games.