Should prostitution and incestuous/polygamous/etc. marriages be legalized?

Chiki

I guess if they really want to sell their bodies for money, then... I dunno.

But sometimes it's a poor college or high school student who just needs to do it to get the money to get by and it could scar them for life or something. Yeah I guess only if they're absolutely sure they want to do it, not need to.

Most people work jobs because they need the money to get by. A legalized prostitution job may be better or worse than other "low skill" jobs depending on individual preferences.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somewhat related: anyone who has read gabriel garcia marquez's one hundred years of solitude will remember that ursula had fears of her children being born with a pig's tail even though the setting of the novel at that point in time is like rural 1860s colombia.

I don't think one needs to access the deep, analytical layer of scientific knowledge to know they won't have a pig tailed baby. If by observation you have never seen a pig tailed child, then it seems safe to assume, even through common sense, that a pig tailed child will never be born (IIRC it can not be proven as a valid argument, but it seems inductively strong). In that character's case, I'd wager it is because they come from a rural place. These places are too isolated from the rest of the world, and oftenly there are many myths passed down by family tradition, so people have very limited contact with other knowledges that could clear their minds from obscurity.

About the legalization of prostitution, are prostitutes okay with having their profession legalized? I know this is not a deciding factor in whether it should be legalized, but knowing whether they would like to be regulated by law (I can imagine some would like to avoid paying taxes based on their overall profit, if such a thing exists in the USA) is important.

Most people work jobs because they need the money to get by. A legalized prostitution job may be better or worse than other "low skill" jobs depending on individual preferences.

I don't have any argument against the legalization of prostitution right now, but this is somewhat related:

I question the morality of prostitution. They sell their intimacy to sate the needs of complete strangers who are willing to pay for it. I think our intimacy is too important for it to be bargained like that, as it's related with our personal integrity. It's different from a "low skill job" in that sense, because at least you keep your intimacy and personal integrity while working with telemarketing, even if the job is frustrating and your boss is abusive. I personally would not be happy to have a parent, sibling or child of mine as a prostitute (nor as a telemarketing operator, by the way. =P)

I don't have a well built opinion about it, but since I need to have one and I personally like engaging in debates and learning with people smarter than I am, here's my two cents.

Edited by Rapier

About the legalization of prostitution, are prostitutes okay with having their profession legalized? I know this is not a deciding factor in whether it should be legalized, but knowing whether they would like to be regulated by law (I can imagine some would like to avoid paying taxes based on their overall profit, if such a thing exists in the USA) is important.

I don't have any argument against the legalization of prostitution right now, but this is somewhat related:

I question the morality of prostitution. They sell their intimacy to sate the needs of complete strangers who are willing to pay for it. I think our intimacy is too important for it to be bargained like that, as it's related with our personal integrity. It's different from a "low skill job" in that sense, because at least you keep your intimacy and personal integrity while working with telemarketing, even if the job is frustrating and your boss is abusive. I personally would not be happy to have a parent, sibling or child of mine as a prostitute (nor as a telemarketing operator, by the way. =P)

I don't have a well built opinion about it, but since I need to have one and I personally like engaging in debates and learning with people smarter than I am, here's my two cents.

While legal prostitutes would be subject to their income being taxed, they would also have safer working conditions and in many cases may receive a better 'cut' of the pay than current illegal arrangements. In the end, I'm not sure it's relevant whether prostitutes would prefer it to be legalized or not since that's not how things are legislated.

Sex is a complicated topic that has different meanings for different people. For people who don't view sex as requiring emotional intimacy (more akin to something like a massage), they would probably not have a moral objection to it.

somewhat related: anyone who has read gabriel garcia marquez's one hundred years of solitude will remember that ursula had fears of her children being born with a pig's tail even though the setting of the novel at that point in time is like rural 1860s colombia.

I don't remember that =(

was like 12 when I read the book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

All three of the things mentioned in the title have something in common: they're very often associated with abuse. Prostitutes are routinely abused, but unlike the radfem consensus I don't think that compensation for sex necessarily constitutes rape. For this reason I would support legalizing prostitution on those grounds (as distasteful as it is).

Polygamy immediately brings to mind middle aged men in Utah with a collection of teenaged brides. Once again none of these things are guarantees, but I would nevertheless rather the state didn't recognize these farcical unions even between consenting able minded adults. Let them have whatever ceremonies they wish, but there are too many opportunities for threesomes and beyond to game the system as it currently operates.

In a discussion about incest it should be established that first cousins or separated-at-birth siblings aren't really what we're talking about. The failure of the Westermarck Effect (whether or not that's a real thing or a social construct) indicates a severe failure of the familial relationship and a very high likelihood of sexual abuse. It should neither be tolerated nor recognized by the state.