Kibayashi doesn't want to claim credit for FE Fates' story

He didn't say that. He said this:

"Fire Emblem Fates is holding its place as an Amazon number 1 best-seller.

But there has been some small confusion.

I wrote 500 pages for 3 campaigns, but they were just drafts.

In fact, the story was written by multiple writers; I would just to let people know."

That sounds reasonable.

I'm kinda disappointed some people are jumping the gun.

If I see this popping up all over the big news sites, I'm quitting.

For a day.

Really? This would make you quit and not the dumb idiots over at the censor/soleil threads?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I don't think he's disowing the story either, what I believe he means is that he is probably receiving a lot of praise for the game, and wanted to say the he's not the only one that worked on it.

Edited by Water Mage

That sounds reasonable.

Really? This would make you quit and not the dumb idiots over at the censor/soleil threads?

It's a joke, hence the strike through : P

If that was a joke as well, well, you can pretend this is the final push XD

Edited by VincentASM

Also thanks to whoever change the title so it's clearer :)

Haha, that was me. Hopefully I didn't sound too mean there.

I wanted to change the contents quick, so I had to think of something snappy XD

What are the comments on his Twitter? If we could translate what are the japanese commenting about what he said, we could avoid a nasty mess just because people misunderstood his words.

Edited by Water Mage

I may be "jumping the gun" as you say, but I think he has heard about how disappointed a lot of people were with Conquest's story, hence why he expresses himself so ambiguously. Entire sections of his work has obviously been either reworked or removed. If I were him, I'd probably do the same thing and try to explain things without badmouthing Intelligent Systems - even though I would have been very tempted to.

Interesting. Very interesting even.

Considering how bad the story seems to be, it really doesn't show a good image of IS at all.

I may be "jumping the gun" as you say, but I think he has heard about how disappointed a lot of people were with Conquest's story, hence why he expresses himself so ambiguously. Entire sections of his work has obviously been either reworked or removed. If I were him, I'd probably do the same thing and try to explain things without badmouthing Intelligent Systems - even though I would have been very tempted to.

I would think for a professional writer that has written across multiple media types, he knows the very basic rule that rarely does a draft go through unfiltered at the end product.

Writing for anything outside your own book is not a thing that stays the same, that's the process of how it works in the business. This ain't a Intelligence System thing, this is a Everything thing.

Is the story THAT bad?

It's always a matter of opinion. I don't mind Awakening's story, and plenty of people here seem to think it's one of the worst things ever written.

However, in my opinion, yes, it's a pathetic excuse for a story that clearly has been meddled with; no experienced writer, even with time constraints, would write it so poorly.

Perhaps. However, I also suspect there's a lot of projection going on this thread.

yeah :/ I get the feeling as well.

Could somebody be so kind to translate it for all of us?

I would think for a professional writer that has written across multiple media types, he knows the very basic rule that rarely does a draft go through unfiltered at the end product.

Writing for anything outside your own book is not a thing that stays the same, that's the process of how it works in the business. This ain't a Intelligence System thing, this is a Everything thing.

Indeed. However, if memory serves, he hadn't written a lot of video game stories before, if any. He may not have known just how much his drafts would change - other forms of medium don't use things like DLC, which is what Intelligent Systems is pushing very heavily.

Perhaps. However, I also suspect there's a lot of projection going on this thread.

Aye, I apologize if I come across as overly critical and negative, I'm just very disappointed.

This is off topic but didn't sticker star had a good idea from start and then Myamotto stated it would just be a "GC port" so they had to alter everything with "unique" gimmicks and in early development, he also encouraged the developers to keep the story to a "minimum" kinda like how IS took some of Kibayashis foundation but made it into something that they would find suitable for FE standards just wondering.

Man the people immediately assuming that he is disowning the story as true from a unverified translatation of a twitter post, kinda Really annoys me, The immediate reaction from the iwata asks that had alot of more interesting info being " IS admits awakening's story was Terrible" even though that isn't what they said at all (sure they wouldn't actually say it was terrible , but they also might say what they said to make the new writer or whatever his title is look good) also annoys me quite a bit as well.

Hahahaha once again folks are jumping to conclusions its like the ongoing debacle with God damn Heaven's Feel movie. My f%^king sides! :XD:

this is somewhat offtopic, but can you elaborate? I haven't heard anything of the sort.

this is somewhat offtopic, but can you elaborate? I haven't heard anything of the sort.

Some info got out which folks misinterpreted as the director saying Ufotable was going to creat a single movie instead of a series of films. Heaven's Feel is a long storyline so people started thinking it would end up like the Deen film for Unlimited Blade Works but recent information makes it sounds like this wont be the case because the director said he couldnt do the story justice that way. He even talked about doing a six hour film apprently but that was just an idea. Its too early for anything to be set in stone but the salt levels are rising already.

Although I agree that IS naturally wants to push the 3rd path as an ideal ending, and naturally they want to make money, I honestly do feel that certain details would still be missing from the paths (such as the Nohr path, as is often criticized) even if no such incentive existed for IS.

This is because if you look at the events as if they're actually happening like "real life" (and from the in-universe perspective of the characters in the story, it is their "real lives"), real life events don't necessarily need to follow conventions that are considered "good storytelling". More specifically, I'm referring to the convention that in story telling its expected that the important information will be self-contained within the tale.

But for the characters in the game, from their in-universe perspective, such principles need not apply. The very fact that there is "what if" as a premise in the game means that they will experience different events, which means on some route they'll have the events unfold in such a way that they'll end up learning some things. But when they've made the other choice, they'll never go down those roads in the first place, which means the events that led them to learn that information would never unfold.

So, just like in real life, some things might feel like unsolved or unexplained mysteries because you didn't go down the path in which you would have discovered it. Just like details about the overall situation might be legitimately missed…. and the characters might not even realize that they had ever missed these details in the first place, these plot points as we outside observers might call it, as they never even realized the opportunity to learn these facts was missed by going down a particular road.

So these various plot holes do carry a sense of internal in-universe logic….. yes, in the end, the DLC angle is still there and cannot be denied, but I think we're falling too much into a "single-cause fallacy" when we talk about missing details, acting like its only because "stripping for DLC" that some of the details are missing.

I posit that while that indeed is a contributing factor, we'd still have this problem even if such a consideration wasn't present in the first place because we'd still have some lost opportunities on each path to learn certain things about the circumstances going on in the world that provided insight on the plot. Things would remain mysteries to the characters in some cases, just as they do to us in real life.

What are the comments on his Twitter? If we could translate what are the japanese commenting about what he said, we could avoid a nasty mess just because people misunderstood his words.

A very familiar scenario that can easily be exploited by a single troll...xD

yeah :/ I get the feeling as well.

Could somebody be so kind to translate it for all of us?

That would be an insane amount of work for a voluntary translation. I have been posting story summaries though, with Hoshido so far, and soon the prologue and Nohr.

Hahahaha once again folks are jumping to conclusions its like the ongoing debacle with God damn Heaven's Feel movie. My f%^king sides! :XD:

Just give this time too, I'm sure it'll pop up someway or another misunderstood.

Welcome to Week 2 of Fire Emblem Fate Babel translations

This is rather demotivating for translators to hear. : (

Although I agree that IS naturally wants to push the 3rd path as an ideal ending, and naturally they want to make money, I honestly do feel that certain details would still be missing from the paths (such as the Nohr path, as is often criticized) even if no such incentive existed for IS.

This is because if you look at the events as if they're actually happening like "real life" (and from the in-universe perspective of the characters in the story, it is their "real lives"), real life events don't necessarily need to follow conventions that are considered "good storytelling". More specifically, I'm referring to the convention that in story telling its expected that the important information will be self-contained within the tale.

But for the characters in the game, from their in-universe perspective, such principles need not apply. The very fact that there is "what if" as a premise in the game means that they will experience different events, which means on some route they'll have the events unfold in such a way that they'll end up learning some things. But when they've made the other choice, they'll never go down those roads in the first place, which means the events that led them to learn that information would never unfold.

So, just like in real life, some things might feel like unsolved or unexplained mysteries because you didn't go down the path in which you would have discovered it. Just like details about the overall situation might be legitimately missed…. and the characters might not even realize that they had ever missed these details in the first place, these plot points as we outside observers might call it, as they never even realized the opportunity to learn these facts was missed by going down a particular road.

So these various plot holes do carry a sense of internal in-universe logic….. yes, in the end, the DLC angle is still there and cannot be denied, but I think we're falling too much into a "single-cause fallacy" when we talk about missing details, acting like its only because "stripping for DLC" that some of the details are missing.

I posit that while that indeed is a contributing factor, we'd still have this problem even if such a consideration wasn't present in the first place because we'd still have some lost opportunities on each path to learn certain things about the circumstances going on in the world that provided insight on the plot. Things would remain mysteries to the characters in some cases, just as they do to us in real life.

I am not sure if realism is what they were really going for. Some things would be missed in a realistic sense, yes, but for a good story focused narrative, they are still trying to tell a story to said reader, the player, rather than being concerned with telling the characters involved. And for that it sort of became lacking.

But I understand what you are saying, and I guess it's not really a point that can be argued anyway. In the end, this is how it is and what they went with, and nothing can be done.

Edited by Kirokan

To the people jumping the gun, shame on all of you. You reflect badly on the entire site and the entire fan base with such trite.