Kibayashi doesn't want to claim credit for FE Fates' story

He didn't say that. He said this:

"Fire Emblem Fates is holding its place as an Amazon number 1 best-seller.

But there has been some small confusion.

I wrote 500 pages for 3 campaigns, but they were just drafts.

In fact, the story was written by (presumably) multiple writers; I would just like to let people know."

I like how people automatically assume the worst case scenario from this. For all we know it's entirely possible (given Japanese culture vs American) that he was being humble and trying to give credit to the other writers instead of trying to jump ship.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. However, if memory serves, he hadn't written a lot of video game stories before, if any. He may not have known just how much his drafts would change - other forms of medium don't use things like DLC, which is what Intelligent Systems is pushing very heavily.

Stories with parts split into multiple publications or even mediums, rather than just in the main series itself, is pretty much the same as DLC, and Japan loves that stuff.

Edited by NeonZ

Since a few people are still wondering, I am pretty sure Kibayashi is happy with how the story turned out.

In response to another user after the original tweet

My slightly rough translation:

Thank you V(^0^) But I just wrote the story draft. Although it ended up being 500 pages. The numerous people involved in the story/dialogue, I think it was them(?) working hard. Thanks, it's [as in, Fire Emblem Fates] going to be a big hit!

I'm not very familiar with the phrasing in the second-to-last sentence. Maybe somebody like Kirokan can check?

It's possible his true feelings are different, but for now, there is no evidence to support it. Just some fans annoyed with how the story turned out XD

Edited by VincentASM

I like how people automatically assume the worst case scenario from this. For all we know it's entirely possible (given Japanese culture vs American) that he was being humble and trying to give credit to the other writers instead of trying to jump ship.

My bad. I guess I jumped the gun too soon and ran along with the bandwagon.

I guess I panic first, then think later. xD

To the people jumping the gun, shame on all of you. You reflect badly on the entire site and the entire fan base with such trite.

but what would the FE fanbase be without mindlessly jumping to conclusions?

I hope people weren't expecting GoT material here

Edited by FrostyFireMage

Look at Kibayashi all cheery and happy, and look at us kicking up at storm out of a mistranslantion.

It's funny and sad at the same time.

Edited by Water Mage

Just to partially put this into perspective, IS could very well have edited the story so as to keep it closer to the FE formula. Also, if IS wanted to make any deliberate ties to older games within the series, they appear to have much more knowledge to do so than Mr. Kibayashi, who, IIRC, has only played Awakening. Granted, this is only a guess and it could very well be a different situation.

Also, good to see Mr. Kibayashi in good spirits! :)

Edited by DeoGame

My bad Kirokan, I meant a translation of the tweet, not the story of the Fates. I am trying to spoil myself as little as possible about the story.

VincentASM did make the meaning of the tweet clear enough though.

Thanks to both of you!

so just what is so 'bad' about the Fates story anyway?

The main complaint about the Nohr story is that Kamui let's peope like Gunz and McBeth run all over him during most of it, just following orders and without rebelling when he's overruled

like when he wanted to spare rebels but Gunz ordered them to be executed... and that specific scenario actually happens several times. Although, he returns to Nohr under heavy suspicions, so I don't think it's that odd. Although I guess it's a very different attitude from the usual protagonists who would be much more active and decisive.

The Hoshido invasion also only actually starts near the ending, with most of the story focusing just on Nohr's internal problems and Hoshido backed rebellions.

Meanwhile, Nohr Kamui himself is this traditional idealistic protagonist that attempts that attempts to minimize casualties and such. So, he's not even a "darker" character either in spite of his unorthodox choice compared to other FE protagonists.

Edited by NeonZ

All of you need to take a chill pill, this is getting ridiculous.

The story of the game isn't as bad as people claim, and Kibayashi isn't disowning it. Now stop overreacting. This forum has been getting increasingly annoying since Fates went out.

Just so you guys know, what he's talking about is really common procedure when it comes to writing scripts in any form of media. Rarely (if ever), the head writer deserves full credit for what ends up in the finished product. I'm pretty sure this is what he means in his Twitter, that the script went through so many drafts and rewrites by the IS staff that they deserve credit for the story as well. At no point he seems to be disowning the story.

To name some examples, the DVD commentaries of The Simpsons reveal that in some episodes, about 5% of the finished product really belongs to the credited writer.

To the people jumping the gun, shame on all of you. You reflect badly on the entire site and the entire fan base with such trite.

relax friend people we're just confused by the tweet although the nohr route was disappointing for few at least it sold well enough which is a good sign also hoping for rooms for improvement for future games.

relax friend people we're just confused by the tweet although the nohr route was disappointing for few at least it sold well enough which is a good sign also hoping for rooms for improvement for future games.

People aren't being confused by the original tweet since they can't read it. They're being confused by a specific negative interpretation of the tweet that was stated as fact in the original post, since they have nothing else to go on.

People aren't being confused by the original tweet since they can't read it. They're being confused by a specific negative interpretation of the tweet that was stated as fact in the original post, since they have nothing else to go on.

yeah that's what meant to say some are taking it seriously but they should calm down now.

Wait, so people are pretty much assuming that IS literally called Mr. Kibayashi in and asked him to write a massive, diverging story that the dev team would later butcher up and slap it into the game, claiming that Kibayashi did all the work when really he wanted everyone on the dev team to get credit as well while people are raging that he had no real say or involvement in the story and are claiming that IS is only milking "poor writing" out of a famous writer in the same way that fanservice-y designs are milked out of Kozaki?

And it was all a blind assumption?

I swear, this fanbase needs to just calm down.

but what would the FE fanbase be without mindlessly jumping to conclusions?

I hope people weren't expecting GoT material here

They were expecting Tactics Ogre LUCT.

Now doubt they'll ends up disappointed.

I'm waiting to play the game (and seeing the same people tearing the story now explain us in details why the Japanese version was perfect and why all the characters sucks compared to the original) to get my own opinion about it, but it's sad that we start completely tearing it apart where it's out for less than three weeks.

I may remember wrongly, but even with Awakening we waited a litle longer before completely denigrating it.

IS staff? The same people who acknowledged Awakening's lackluster story?

they sorta did but probably not to the extent people are thinking or apparently want. They admitted it had problems, but i doubt they admit or think it as bad as some people seem to believe it is. Imo it is probably cause the complaints some people give are greatly exaggerated and sometimes project other issues with the game onto the story.

Hmm, I wouldn't be surprised if the English localisation tweaked a few things.

It's already hard to match up Awakening's English and Japanese scripts even though the basic story is the same. Besides, most people seemed to like the English Awakening script, so I'd wager they'll do a similar amount of rewriting with Fates.

Plus, the localisers have a subtle history of changing things, usually for the better. Like changing the way...

[spoiler=Tellius saga spoilers]the Black Knight survived to appear in Radiant Dawn.

Or how the Blood Pact works. Although both versions of the Blood Pact are equally confusing for me : P

Edited by VincentASM

[spoiler=Tellius saga spoilers]the Black Knight survived to appear in Radiant Dawn.

Or how the Blood Pact works. Although both versions of the Blood Pact are equally confusing for me : P

Wait, how'd it go in the original versions?

As somebody who has a little experience with scripts(although it's with film scripts not game scripts) are subject to change at the drop of a hat, so it seems that the esteemed Mr. Kibayashi is asking that the staff writers get some credit for their contributions.

It's already hard to match up Awakening's English and Japanese scripts even though the basic story is the same. Besides, most people seemed to like the English Awakening script, so I'd wager they'll do a similar amount of rewriting with Fates.

Plus, the localisers have a subtle history of changing things, usually for the better. Like changing the way...

I agree I'm betting the narrative of fates will be better when localized just hope they don't cut as much but keep it similar :)

Yeah

i'll take the english explanation of the black knight's defeat vs warp powder Shenanigans any day. Good example.