Kibayashi doesn't want to claim credit for FE Fates' story

All of you need to take a chill pill, this is getting ridiculous.

The story of the game isn't as bad as people claim, and Kibayashi isn't disowning it. Now stop overreacting. This forum has been getting increasingly annoying since Fates went out.

Did you even read the thread before you posted this? It was resolved. People calmed down.

Also, this always happens when a new title comes out because Serenes' translators can't be everywhere, so a lot of people hear something and take it for fact, and threads like this are born.

They were expecting Tactics Ogre LUCT.

Now doubt they'll ends up disappointed.

I'm waiting to play the game (and seeing the same people tearing the story now explain us in details why the Japanese version was perfect and why all the characters sucks compared to the original) to get my own opinion about it, but it's sad that we start completely tearing it apart where it's out for less than three weeks.

I may remember wrongly, but even with Awakening we waited a litle longer before completely denigrating it.

When Awakening came out in Japan, the fanbase hadn't had its growth spurt yet, so it was still 'silent before the storm'. Once it was released to the rest of the world however, most of the disputes were about the elitists and the filthy casuals rather than the story. So while it's not the same situation, I personally think Awakening's release was worse than what's going on right now.

I have tried my best to stay away from the story, but from what I've gathered the main issue with Nohr seems to be that we were given something entirely different to what we were promised. So, since a lot of people played the Nohr route with a 'revolution' in mind, that might have affected their view on the story. Since that bit is now almost 'common' knowledge', I hope that once it's released worldwide, people will have different expectations and Nohr will be seen very differently since we know what to expect this time around.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Shara really sadist, or are people just assuming that she is because Tharja was? The conversations I've seen don't really show that side of her character.

Edited by NeonZ

Is Shara really sadist, or are people just assuming that she is because Tharja was? The conversations I've seen don't really show that side of her character.

I'm not sure of the details, but (from what I heard) apparently

Shara, Grey and Matoi are reincarnations of their Awakening counterparts.

Which would mean that they are expected to act the same way.

I'm not sure of the details, but (from what I heard) apparently

Shara, Grey and Matoi are reincarnations of their Awakening counterparts.

Which would mean that they are expected to act the same way.

This seems really wierd to me because if I got the timeline correctly, then it should be the opposite actually.

Tharja, Gaius and Cordrelia should be the reincarantion of those characters since it happens many many years in the past.

Sorry that really bugs me.

Unless the concept of time was completely destroyed after Awakening, and then... Well, nice job, Robin and Chrom, you broke everything.

Shara has two contradictory quotes that are usually interpreted into her and kamui being reincarnations of Robin and Tharja - or that they'll actually reincarnate into them in the future. Anna also has a quote that suggests reincarnations. It's never openly confirmed that these incarnations are even the actual Awakening characters though, unlike the Awakening kids. It's just left as an open suggestion and they don't seem to go much into it. Shara doesn't even have a conversation with Amiibo Robin, unlike the 3 Awakening kids.

Edited by Tangerine

I've been avoiding spoiler threads so my opinion might be off, but from the comments I've seen in spoiler free threads I have been disappointed by the rampant complaining about the game. I'm sure it has it's flaws but I'd love to hear people say what they liked about it instead of long rants on what they didn't like.

1) The music is utterly fantastic. Best in the series in my opinion.

2) The level designs are really, really cool. In particular, it is obvious that a lot of time went into designing Nohr's levels. Even the first few levels are as big and tricky as endgame Hoshido ones. The extra victory requirements and 'interesting situations' that the Nohr levels put you in are also very nice.

3) The battles themselves are very good. From what little I've played, I love that I really had to think again before making most moves.

4) The graphics and battle animations are the best in the series, hands down.

5) Almost all the characters are really likeable, and the supports that we've seen so far (outside of one or two that we all know by now) have been well done.

6) All the new classes (and the revamped old ones) are very cool. There seems to have been a lot of effort to obtain balance so that there is no one real class that outshines all of them.

Edited by Sky Soldier

2) The level designs are really, really cool. In particular, it is obvious that a lot of time went into designing Nohr's levels. Even the first few levels are as big and tricky as endgame Hoshido ones. The extra victory requirements and 'interesting situations' that the Nohr levels put you in are also very nice.

3) The battles themselves are very good. From what little I've played, I love that I really had to think again before making most moves.

5) Almost all the characters are really likeable and the supports that we've seen so far (outside of one or two that we all know by now) have been well done.

6) All the new classes (and the revamped old ones) are very cool. There seems to have been a lot of effort to obtain balance so that there is no one real class that outshines all of them.

I second this. My biggest complaints are all about the story; the gameplay experience itself is fantastic, and with any luck, the third path will have a good story to salvage Conquest's.

though i hate the battle animations - like, doing rolls before doing a jump spin? why

though i hate the battle animations - like, doing rolls before doing a jump spin? why

Yes, they clearly went for what looks cool instead of realism. For instance, there is absolutely no reason or justification for why Golden Kite Warriors should ever think about jumping off their mount in mid-air in order to shoot an enemy, but it LOOKS SO COOL!!!!

Edited by Sky Soldier

Yes, they clearly went for what looks cool instead of realism. For instance, there is absolutely no reason or justification for why Golden Kite Warriors should ever think about jumping off their mount in order to shoot an enemy, but it LOOKS SO COOL!!!!

It must be painful though. For males and females alike.

Yamero IS, you're drunk go home. :p

Edited by B.Leu

5) Almost all the characters are really likeable, and the supports that we've seen so far (outside of one or two that we all know by now) have been well done.

Mostly agreed on these points (although I'm playing Hoshido). I think the actual battle system is one of the best improvements. The Attack/Guard stance is possibly the most well thought out battle mechanic ever added to Fire Emblem and I hope it stays for the next title.

Yes, they clearly went for what looks cool instead of realism. For instance, there is absolutely LOOKS SO COOL no reason LOOKS SO COOL or justification for why LOOKS SO COOL Golden Kite Warriors should ever LOOKS SO COOL think about jumping off their mount LOOKS SO COOL in mid-air in order to shoot an enemy, but it LOOKS SO COOL!!!!

I edited your comment to stress just how cool it is. I don't think enough people realize this. We GBA Fire Emblem again and it LOOKS SO COOL.

Pegasus Warriors doing a loop before attacking an enemy because...uh...momentum? Or Basaras attacking in a way that leaves them lying on the ground for a few seconds (their finishing move, to be precise).

I mean, I don't expect realism in these games - I mean I am perfectly fine with having an army of supermodels who are impossibly clean and tidy even though they're fighting a war in a fantasy middle ages setting, but the combat animations are so dumb.

Pegasus Warriors doing a loop before attacking an enemy because...uh...momentum? Or Basaras attacking in a way that leaves them lying on the ground for a few seconds (their finishing move, to be precise).

I mean, I don't expect realism in these games - I mean I am perfectly fine with having an army of supermodels who are impossibly clean and tidy even though they're fighting a war in a fantasy middle ages setting, but the combat animations are so dumb.

If dumb animations aren't your thing, that leaves like the first 4 fire emblems.

If dumb animations aren't your thing, that leaves like the first 4 fire emblems.
Oh I'll live, I assure you, but thank you for your recommendation.

Hey now, guys? We're reclaiming this thread to talk about good things about the game, remember? Stop sniping at each other, please.

It seems weird, but I think another reason that people are liking the Hoshido story more than the Nohr one is, quite ironically, because people like the Nohr siblings more. They make much more credible, tragic and sympathetic "villains" than the Hoshido siblings:

As even though both groups of siblings still love the Avatar no matter which path you take (Takumi...it's complicated there), it hits home a lot more with the Nohr siblings' actions in the game:

Elise: Once you find her, she pretty much just joins you right then and there (though you can't use her in battle) in order to try and talk the others down.

Leo: Elimine help him, he really TRIES to get himself to hate you enough to attack you, but once you beat him around a little bit, he just breaks down and cries about how he couldn't really do it after all and just retires from the war.

Camilla: She has a mental breakdown and is convinced that there was some sort of mistake or that the Hoshido are brainwashing you. She just can't accept that you did not choose to come back to them.

Xander: As the crown prince, he sincerely tries to try and defeat you, but once (SOMETHING HAPPENS), he pretty much just gives up and lets you win.

Hey now, guys? We're reclaiming this thread to talk about good things about the game, remember? Stop sniping at each other, please.

It seems weird, but I think another reason that people are liking the Hoshido story more than the Nohr one is, quite ironically, because people like the Nohr siblings more. They make much more credible, tragic and sympathetic "villains" than the Hoshido siblings:

As even though both groups of siblings still love the Avatar no matter which path you take (Takumi...it's complicated there), it hits home a lot more with the Nohr siblings' actions in the game:

Elise: Once you find her, she pretty much just joins you right then and there (though you can't use her in battle) in order to try and talk the others down.

Leo: Elimine help him, he really TRIES to get himself to hate you enough to attack you, but once you beat him around a little bit, he just breaks down and cries about how he couldn't really do it after all and just retires from the war.

Camilla: She has a mental breakdown and is convinced that there was some sort of mistake or that the Hoshido are brainwashing you. She just can't accept that you did not choose to come back to them.

Xander: As the crown prince, he sincerely tries to try and defeat you, but once (SOMETHING HAPPENS), he pretty much just gives up and lets you win.

Sorry, and I agree with you except for

Xander. I didn't like that his idiocy got him killed - don't get me wrong, I think his death hit me the hardest, but it just felt a bit forced and unnecessary, much like Lilith and Flora.

But yeah, I get what you're saying. Elise plays a much bigger role than Sakura does, for instance, and Leon's moments are pretty well written.

Even the most professional of writers mess up the simplest of things when writing a story. So they often come up with several drafts until they are satisfied. Maybe the draft he gave was too difficult to put in the game, so it's not strange adjustments were made, although if they wanted Kibayashi as the writer, I think it would be cool to have him help with the adjustments.

I'm sure the story is fine. I actually think Awakening's story isn't as bad as people make it out to be (I think it would have been better if Walhart was the main villain and Grima as a "Puppet Master"). As long as the game is fun, I can forgive a few hiccups and so far nothing says it isn't.

@Sky Soldier

"It seems weird, but I think another reason that people are liking the Hoshido story more than the Nohr one is, quite ironically, because people like the Nohr siblings more. They make much more credible, tragic and sympathetic "villains" than the Hoshido siblings:"

I don't know what you put in the spoiler, but I think you're on to something right there. At least from what I have seen, the Nohr siblings just feel more like actual siblings to me. It might help as well that if you're on Hoshido's side, you're subconsciously aware that the Nohr siblings are in fact being used by Garon, while on the Nohr side, Hoshido is pretty much united.

I might be wrong on some accounts since I haven't spoiled myself to the story, but even if Nohr's story is weaker compared to Hoshido, I do think that the Nohr siblings are a big factor of the 'powerful' moments on Hoshido's side.

@Sky Soldier

"It seems weird, but I think another reason that people are liking the Hoshido story more than the Nohr one is, quite ironically, because people like the Nohr siblings more. They make much more credible, tragic and sympathetic "villains" than the Hoshido siblings:"

I don't know what you put in the spoiler, but I think you're on to something right there. At least from what I have seen, the Nohr siblings just feel more like actual siblings to me. It might help as well that if you're on Hoshido's side, you're subconsciously aware that the Nohr siblings are in fact being used by Garon, while on the Nohr side, Hoshido is pretty much united.

I might be wrong on some accounts since I haven't spoiled myself to the story, but even if Nohr's story is weaker compared to Hoshido, I do think that the Nohr siblings are a big factor of the 'powerful' moments on Hoshido's side.

That so much, seriously the reason why the Nohr's story seem lesser is because unless you liked the Hoshido's sibling you won't find the Nohr's route as impacting as Hoshido's. I joked about lobster being fried but I can never joked about my Marx nii-san's death..

Edited by Awakener_

That so much, seriously the reason why the Nohr's story seem lesser is because unless you liked the Hoshido's sibling you won't find the Nohr's route as impacting as Hoshido's. I joked about lobster being fried but I can never joked about my Marx nii-san's death..

I was so terrified opening this spoiler...unfortunately (fortunately?), I was already spoiled on that part :(

But yeah, in case someone points it out, I'm not talking about Nohr's story as a whole, because I know

Kamui is incredibly lackluster and pretty fucking stupid in Nohr, which saddens me a lot. But since the Nohr siblings are in general more liked, their deaths don't affect the player as much as the Hoshido ones.

I do wonder if playing the Hoshido route first changes this though, or maybe those scenes just weren't delivered as well. :/

I keep seeing people taking jabs at Nohr's story, and I'm lying if I say I'm not worried myself...but I want to like it, because Conquest just has more appeal to me in general, even with the completely different storyline than what was expected. I will do my best to find any and all redeeming qualities about it, mark my words. I just hope I won't end up as Thane 2.0, but who knows...

I keep seeing people taking jabs at Nohr's story, and I'm lying if I say I'm not worried myself...but I want to like it, because Conquest just has more appeal to me in general, even with the completely different storyline than what was expected. I will do my best to find any and all redeeming qualities about it, mark my words. I just hope I won't end up as Thane 2.0, but who knows...

I've said this before, but I'm on the side that is cautiously optimistic that the localization will smooth over a lot of things when presenting it to us. There are problems, yes, but the vast majority are things that are easily fixed with one line here, a couple lines there, etc in order to either clarify a couple of things or make people's motives more apparent. I know we love to rag on NOA when they change things, but all things considered they do very good work. If anything, all this discussion has really fueled my patience in waiting for this game to come out. While I really would like to have the English game out as fast as possible, I've seen way too many games that have been ruined by being rushed. I would much rather prefer NOA take their time to turn out an A+ product in January/February.