Kibayashi doesn't want to claim credit for FE Fates' story

Honestly, most if not all of the post-Kaga FEs (I'll put the Kaga era games aside for their limitations) had issues with their narratives. Blazing Blade had a lead antagonist who was apparently capable of singlehandedly wiping out his enemies (the Lords with Athos) but didn't, Sacred Stones had the Demon King getting beat with the Real Superpower of Teamwork, Radiant Dawn had the Blood Pact Shenanigans, New Mystery had Kris, Awakening had the Grimleal as a poor imitation of the Loptyrians and Grima as a shoddy mixture of Loptyr and Cthulu.

Edited by Alazen

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said this before, but I'm on the side that is cautiously optimistic that the localization will smooth over a lot of things when presenting it to us. There are problems, yes, but the vast majority are things that are easily fixed with one line here, a couple lines there, etc in order to either clarify a couple of things or make people's motives more apparent. I know we love to rag on NOA when they change things, but all things considered they do very good work. If anything, all this discussion has really fueled my patience in waiting for this game to come out. While I really would like to have the English game out as fast as possible, I've seen way too many games that have been ruined by being rushed. I would much rather prefer NOA take their time to turn out an A+ product in January/February.

Yes! These are my hopes as well! They've delivered before, so I'm expecting the best from them this time around as well.

While I'm not completely sure on how the story will turn out, I have high expectations from the characters that people are having problems with (I'm looking at you Soleil), because they can easily change that.

I also have mixed feelings on the "One's Thoughts" English version. I can't say for sure whether the lyrics or the singer is the problem. Maybe it's both? I hope at least they'll change one of these before the release...

@Alazen

The difference this time around is that IS has hired an established writer. While Kibayashi does not have any experience with writing for games, he's still talented. Even if he wasn't, no one wants a bad story. So I don't think it's wrong of anyone to be dismayed about this.

Edited by Valair

Kibayashi is an "established writer" yes, but he was picked for a game development that he's going to be looked over in. What he writes has to be checked and approved. And he'll have to write in what he's told to write in. He can't be told that Fates will have a 2nd Gen, say it's silly, and not include it. No, he'll have to write it in while keeping in thought the rest of the game.

Edited by Alazen

Yes! These are my hopes as well! They've delivered before, so I'm expecting the best from them this time around as well.

While I'm not completely sure on how the story will turn out, I have high expectations from the characters that people are having problems with (I'm looking at you Soleil), because they can easily change that.

Another factor I think that is playing into all of this is TIME. We only found out this game was coming in January. We only got the first real details at the beginning of April. Therefore, we've only really had three months to process everything and during those three months we've been getting a constant stream of information. We, as a fanbase, have not had an opportunity to just sit back, chill, process everything and defuse the hype a little. The next six months or so will be a good time for that.

Kibayashi is an "established writer" yes, but he was picked for a game development that he's going to be looked over in. What he writes has to be checked and approved. And he'll have to write in what he's told to write in. He can't be told that Fates will have a 2nd Gen, say it's silly, and not include it. No, he'll have to write it in while keeping in thought the rest of the game.

Of course things are going to be changed along the way. I see your point, that's not it. For most of the FE titles the story was weak because they didn't have anything to lean on. But they do now. What I was talking about had nothing to do with this anyways, but rather the fact that people are understandably upset that the story has a lot of flaws because IS was advocating a good story, which they failed to deliver - for Nohr at least.

Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt since I still haven't actually played the game nor read any story spoilers. I'm just making opinions based off what I've heard.

Another factor I think that is playing into all of this is TIME. We only found out this game was coming in January. We only got the first real details at the beginning of April. Therefore, we've only really had three months to process everything and during those three months we've been getting a constant stream of information. We, as a fanbase, have not had an opportunity to just sit back, chill, process everything and defuse the hype a little. The next six months or so will be a good time for that.

I agree. It's easy to be overwhelmed when we're given so much at once, which just causes us to crave more. That's also why I think the problems most of the people here have been having is just a case of overzealous gluttony as well. This is also why I wanted to avoid the If/Fates subforum because Serenes gets really windy around these times, but I'm a sucker for new and shiny things so I couldn't stay away. It'll be nice once things start to cool down a little though.

@Sky Soldier

"It seems weird, but I think another reason that people are liking the Hoshido story more than the Nohr one is, quite ironically, because people like the Nohr siblings more. They make much more credible, tragic and sympathetic "villains" than the Hoshido siblings:"

I don't know what you put in the spoiler, but I think you're on to something right there. At least from what I have seen, the Nohr siblings just feel more like actual siblings to me. It might help as well that if you're on Hoshido's side, you're subconsciously aware that the Nohr siblings are in fact being used by Garon, while on the Nohr side, Hoshido is pretty much united.

I might be wrong on some accounts since I haven't spoiled myself to the story, but even if Nohr's story is weaker compared to Hoshido, I do think that the Nohr siblings are a big factor of the 'powerful' moments on Hoshido's side.

That so much, seriously the reason why the Nohr's story seem lesser is because unless you liked the Hoshido's sibling you won't find the Nohr's route as impacting as Hoshido's. I joked about lobster being fried but I can never joked about my Marx nii-san's death..

Couldn't agree more.