Is it just me, or is Breaking Sky kind of absurd?

Adds half the enemy's offensive stat to your attack, Skill*1.5 activation.

[if you have a Str based weapon adds their Str, if Mag, their Mag]

...Yes, it's going to lean more power from attacking same types [which is usually higher defenses]... but that's going to be pretty crazy, since the offensive stats... tend to be a bit more than the defenses, which means you're seeing luna or greater level power off procs-- it could make intentionally diving a General's DEF worth it simply because they've got it in STR.

And it basically hard counters 'zerks. [bring Physical weapons against 'zerkers and use Breaking Sky. [At caps, a Breaking Sky proc basically would add 20 damage-- about 148% the damage of a Luna, and certainly more than the 2 gained from attacking the 'zerk's RES]... :\

The most absurd thing about it is easily the activation rate since, as you said, this skill is essentially a Luna variant. You could also compare Dragon Fang, which has only half the proc rate of Breaking Sky (but in exchange you get access to it SUPER-early on) and does a consistent x1.5 attack.

I mean, this skill has the same activation rate as Vengeance does in this game. Take that for what you will.

Edited by Tamarsamar

It's basically the new, slightly less reliable (in terms of the types of units it is effective against) version of Awakening Luna. With the lower stat caps, Skill*1.5% proc rate in Fates ends up being pretty similar to Skill% proc rate in Awakening. So the way I see it, instead of Breaking Sky being particularly broken, it simply retains Awakening-tier viability whereas every other proc skill got nerfed.

The most absurd thing about it is easily the activation rate since, as you said, this skill is essentially a Luna variant. You could also compare Dragon Fang, which has only half the proc rate of Breaking Sky (but in exchange you get access to it SUPER-early on) and does a consistent x1.5 attack.

I mean, this skill has the same activation rate as Vengeance does in this game. Take that for what you will.

Dragon Fang is not x1.5 damage. I believe it multiplies power by 1.5 before applying enemy Def, so it's pretty scary. But yeah, half the activation rate.

A key difference from Ignis is that it runs off the enemy's attack stat instead of your own, and it runs off the same type of stat as the one you're attacking with:

Example: Attack a capped Berserker with a physical attack strengthened by Breaking sky: Add 20 damage (40/2). Do the same with magic: add 12 damage (25/2 = 12.5 -> round to 12)

At least for mid-to-late game, assuming you don't grind, I'd say Breaking Sky's not as great as you think for one reason: Basaras can only use lances and magic. Trying to take advantage of a Berserker's strength stat with a lance would put a Basara at severe risk of receiving an axe to face. Magic would work out better risk-wise as the Basara would have triangle advantage, but chances are that the Berserker's magic stat is pathetic, so it wouldn't be as helpful damage-wise. Every bit helps though and you'd be able to out-range a Berserker which would be the safest option.

Post-game where you'll be facing other players' maxed-out units though, yes, Breaking Sky's as great an offensive skill as you think as it can be put on just about any class. If you're interested in that, by all means, go for Breaking Sky. If not, its effectiveness and viability become very situational.

At least for mid-to-late game, assuming you don't grind, I'd say Breaking Sky's not as great as you think for one reason: Basaras can only use lances and magic. Trying to take advantage of a Berserker's strength stat with a lance would put a Basara at severe risk of receiving an axe to face. Magic would work out better risk-wise as the Basara would have triangle advantage, but chances are that the Berserker's magic stat is pathetic, so it wouldn't be as helpful damage-wise. Every bit helps though and you'd be able to out-range a Berserker which would be the safest option.

Post-game where you'll be facing other players' maxed-out units though, yes, Breaking Sky's as great an offensive skill as you think as it can be put on just about any class. If you're interested in that, by all means, go for Breaking Sky. If not, its effectiveness and viability become very situational.

Reverse Nagingata, but also, using the skill in a different class.

Breaking Sky on a Trueblade?

Yes… that would work very nicely…. not to mention that Trueblades are very fast (evasive), but have an innate avoid bonus and weapon triangle advantage against Berserkers…. now if they just married a Mercenary or something so that they could pick up Axebreaker, and you'd be pretty sure that the Berserker would most likely miss them (unless the Berseker had something like Raven Strike or Swordbreaker or a Reverse weapon triangle axe).

And Trueblades could also double Berserkers on the player phase (assuming maxed stats) with the use of a Swallow Strike….

Actually, I was independently considering this for some variations of Matoi (not for optimal reasons, mind you).

Edited by astrophys

Reverse Nagingata, but also, using the skill in a different class.

Breaking Sky on a Trueblade?

If you don't particularly care for for Flamboyant, for mid-game purposes (I really can't stress that enough since post-game can get complicated for both you and the enemy), I suppose you could re-class from Basara to Trueblade at Lv.5 to give you something that'll pretty much murder Berserkers. Think about it though: Putting Breaking Sky on a Trueblade doesn't make them a hard counter to Berserkers since they were already one in the first place. :P They just...counter harder. Besides, by switching classes, you're not covering weaknesses, only swapping them for new ones. Breaking Sky can't help with that which is the impression I got from the thread.

Now, reverse weapons on the other hand...Well, I forgot about those. haha Much simpler and much more temporary than a re-class. Doubt you'd see Berserkers with their own reverse weapon often.

And Trueblades could also double Berserkers on the player phase (assuming maxed stats) with the use of a Swallow Strike….

Swallow Strike's unnecessary. Quick-draw Katana would suffice and would work on both phases, not to mention require less re-classing. :P

Edited by Technoweirdo

You're right… I forgot about that…

How may are available?

Swallow Strike WOULD let you do it with a more powerful weapon, that said, although of course there is the issue of only on the player phase… of course, if you get the kill on the player phase, then all is well and good.

I randomly chose my optional class and so my Femui had access to Basara (no way I'm grinding for Flamboyant in Conquest, however, by the time I get it, it'd be way too risky to use).

I prefer Ignis, because the increased attack power is easier to plan due to it coming from your own stat. There's plenty of situations where I got mismatched opponents and so Breaking Sky would barely do anything. It worked good enough in maps with simpler enemy ranks, though.