FE13 Tier List + Character Comparisons

Espinosa

We keep having these discussion interrupt all other threads and games underway, so it made sense to create a separate topic to really get to the truth together and not take up space elsewhere.

A year ago we had this FE9 thread where I provided a bunch of write-ups, which was quite useful because it allowed newcomers and observers to easily join in with viable and often quite creative teams, and the result of that was this neat event. An Awakening metagame, to me, looks really promising, with much more options and customisation (quite excessive if we delve into the 2nd Gen meta), more interesting weapon choices, and a much smaller difference between proficient classes and weak ones.

A lot of information pertinent to this thread/discussion can be found in the Resource Topic, namely the second post, so refer to it whenever necessary.

This thread will serve three purposes (for now):

- tiering promoted FE13 classes

- tiering all playable parents / 1st Gen units

- comparing units with access to the same (viable) classes to each other

The first two parts will just be a raw draft for now, and should undergo a substantial transformation when we really get out teeth into it theoryFEing. I'll be updating the third part by degrees, most likely, and learning which units are the best should help us decide what classes to focus on there.

The rules we have employed for our Link Battles so far are as follows:

• RobinM/RobinF freely customisable for asset/flaw and skillset
  • Max Stats
  • Aggressor, Counter and Lethality are banned
  • Bond restricted to one instance per team (to prevent excessive recovery on all-female teams)
  • No equipment restrictions, but Brave Weaponry cannot be forged (Waste/Celice's Gale included)
  • No Supports structured, PairUp and Dual [Atk/Grd] not accounted for (the metagame is apparently sufficiently complicated even without supports)
  • Posted teams will not reflect augmented stats via weaponry or skills (i.e. Swordfaire will not be visible on a unit's stat sheet, nor will Speed+2 or Balmung's boost to the same stat).

So without further ado...

Class Tier List

S Tier

Sorcerer

Assassin

A Tier

Bride

Berserker

Hero

Conqueror

Dread Fighter

Great Lord (M)

General

B Tier

Warrior

Swordmaster

Dark Knight

Grandmaster

Sage

C Tier

Great Knight

Wyvern Lord

Valkyrie

Bow Knight

Paladin

Trickster

War Monk/Cleric

D Tier

Sniper

Griffon Rider

Dark Flier

Manakete
Falcon Knight

Taguel

! This list doesn't take into account class skills, since all units have three class sets that they draw theirs from, and so Sage Lissa and Sage Kellam will be totally different characters with totally different skill sets (and mods). It also seems pointless to credit, say, Sniper for Hit Rate+20 or the Wyvern Rider classes for the two breaker abilities when these will be used by other classes and you won't really want to actually reclass into one of the classes themselves. At the same time, the Conqueror class can't really be separated from the Conquest skill that it really wants in order to function well. It's basically the same kind of confusion we'd find ourselves in if we decided to tier Final Fantasy Tactics classes, so this tier list is less precise and to-the-point than the one below, yet still deserving of some improvement and thought.

! The tier list is currently envisaged for the 1st Gen / parents meta, and may not apply to a 2nd Gen context (which seems a bit overwhelming to tier at this point). This is why Great Lord (F), Lucina's exclusive class, is not on the list for example.

Character Tier List

S Tier

RobinF

RobinM

A Tier

Cordelia

Flavia

Priam

Yen'fay

Gangrel

Aversa

Tharja

Chrom

B Tier

Sumia

Henry

Miriel

Sully

Stahl

Walhart

C Tier

Libra

Gregor

Say'ri

Basilio

Lon'qu

Gaius

Olivia

Panne

Kellam

Vaike

Frederick

D Tier

Ricken

Emmeryn

Lissa

Virion

Maribelle

Donnel

Cherche

Nowi/Tiki

Anna

This tier list doesn't necessarily take into account all class options the unit has at their disposal, since sometimes secondary class sets provide very useful skills but you wouldn't really consider reclassing into them (see Yen'fay and his Archer/Wyvern Rider class sets as a perfect example of this). Of course, it does help when the unit has several sorts of utility, like Gangrel/Henry being viable as both Sorcs and anti-Sorc Berserkers with Tomebreaker. Robin has all the class options you may need, and even though sometimes you just can't get a perfect mod combo out of all the possible asset/flaw variations (having a lot of both strength and speed for example), there doesn't need to be an explanation why he's as good as he is.

Overall, it's a difficult list to manage because of how different a lot of the characters are, but some discussion could help re-organise units accordingly and help us make more sense of this.

I also wanted to compare different units who have access to the same class in this topic. I thought we'd start with Sorcerer and then look at our Assassins. Some advice would be nice here, too.

3. Character Comparisons (click on the picture to follow the link):

1r2o12.jpg

Edited by Espinosa

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

assassin is mid tier at best

if they don't double (and they won't always) or don't have Luna they're horrible. Their only niche is being good against sorcerors.

the other issue i have with them is if anyone attacks them with a brave weapon and proc's luna, they're toast. Other classes can likely survive.

I think berserkers aren't very good either, they're locked to one weapon type. and are easy to shut down as a result. Sorcerors are the only class deserving of being a tier above the rest.

I think Yen'fay's pretty good though. He's missing good proc skills though, astra is pretty underwhelming because of its proc rate and its his only option.

Edited by General Horace

I feel like Swordmasters should be lower due to them having lower Skill than Heroes and Heroes being sturdier than Swordmasters. Also Heroes aren't weapon locked unlike Swordmasters.

I think Assassin is perfectly fine where it is.

Edited by ~Summer~

assassin is mid tier at best

if they don't double (and they won't always) or don't have Luna they're horrible. Their only niche is being good against sorcerors.

I think berserkers aren't very good either, they're locked to one weapon type. and are easy to shut down as a result.

You know I vehemently disagree with you on the value of Assassins. Skills exist and different Assassins get different ones. Luna and Vengeance are all existent options (thinking about pushing Henry and Gangrel up right now). RobinF with Galeforce and Luna and/or Vengeance can grab kills like there's no tomorrow when weakened (but not killed!).

In my last played game with Carmine, my Assassins did most of the work, doubling and dealing absurd damage to rather bulky units, and Astra was often the only skill I could proc. Still really devastating without requiring low HP.

I sorta agree about Berserkers, but I still prefer them to Warriors, though these have their charms as well, and if they get "shut down" they can always another class. Berserkers lacking Vengeance (i.e. everyone not named Robin, Henry and Gangrel) are probably a good deal worse than I give them credit for, but I think it's still a better class than all below it.

Overall, quite a mess to sort out still.

Luna!Assassins are scary yes.

You proc'd astra nearly twice as much as what was expected in your match too. That made a huge difference. Carmine's team had some... interesting class choices in it too. Bow Knights and Paladins are pretty bad.

Edited by General Horace

Luna!Assassins are scary yes.

You proc'd astra nearly twice as much as what was expected in your match too. That made a huge difference. Carmine's team had some... interesting class choices in it too. Bow Knights and Paladins are pretty bad.

It did. Point is, Assassins do have skills they can make use of owing to the other classes. Robin has all the possible options available, and every 1st Gen team that even attempts to win is sure to have Robin. That's quite important, so we should take stats into account before abilities, and Assassins are unique for having a speed stat that just so happens to enable the doubling of a ton of different builds, and swords/bows are fantastic weapon types.

Bow Knights and Paladin are bad for having weaknesses, but I didn't really have an effective weapon prepared for them (I forget if Walhart had Beastkiller+; I think he did not). Their low speed still makes their presence undesirable, and Bow Knight is really just an inferior Assassin.

I actually haven't played any gen1 matches either, only gen2. Assassins are probably better there since caps are less malleable.

Maybe I should play one before making assumptions

Imo assassin is being overrated, they're high priority targets due to their shameful defense where units have high dmg output. They can even be one shot with brave lance, weapon triangle bonus and lancefaire, specially the kids due to higher stats.

Also, classes locked to only one type of weapon are terrible because they are vulnerable to be targetted by breaker units, making players use a safe move without taking a huge risk by turn 1.

edit: also, mounted units aren't promising options due to having Beast Killer+ weakness, same with Falcos and Drak Flyers because Iote Shield being a skill hinders the unit's performance (sacrificing a useful skill to prevent bow weakness is lame for an underwhelming class)

Edited by Quintessence

I actually haven't played any gen1 matches either, only gen2. Assassins are probably better there since caps are less malleable.

Maybe I should play one before making assumptions

Well, for all we know, you could be right about the Assassin class to some extent.

Still, when you say "this class is weak to X", we have to remember this is a meta where literally everyone is weak to something. There are no Ikes or Makalovs here. Generals get destroyed by tome users and people with good skills since just about everyone of notes doubles them (Brave Axe Warriors go). Everyone playing a game also seems cautious to run a Hammer or two, because Walhart is just one of the Generals (currently seems like the strongest one by far with stat allocation amplified and lacking the armoured weaknesses).

And I really don't know about the generation 2 being as different as you say. I think gen 2 is confusing to assemble a team for because the options seem endless, and discerning between ones that seem good and ones that are optimal seems hard. Hopefully I'll play a gen 2 game soon, just to check my suspicions (and for more reasons than that).

About caps though, especially speed caps, what 2nd gen does, I think, is limit the number of potential fathers (mothers for Lucina and MorganF) if you're worried about getting doubled / having a chance at doubling with Yewfelle/Balmung/Forseti yourself. This is how Frederick is a suboptimal father for 2nd gen, while Lon'qu and Gaius are good ones. If people built their teams aiming for highest speed possible, I'm sure you'd find plenty of potential builds easily outclassed.

IMO, Great Knight is bad. bottom of C tier/upper D tier

Weak to Noble Rapier/Armourslayer (Swords)

Weak to Beastkiller (Lance)

Weak to Hammer(Axe)

Crappy Speed & Res (magnet for being targeted by Magic)

Worst skill of all classes ever

Why is Cordelia so low when she has direct access to Dark Mage, Axe&Bow&Tome breakers and Spd+2

All she needs actually is:

Hero or Sorcerer

Axebreaker/Tomebreaker

Bowbreaker

Vengeance

Hex/Anathema

Speed+2/Patience (or Bond)

Edited by Elieson

If most people are carrying at least one Armorslayer/Hammer on their teams, is it worth it to use Generals besides Walhart?

Dependgs, armorslayer users are still gonna do middling damage to Generals (unless like, Aether or Vengeance procs), and Generals are gonna hit them back hard. They're good if only for brave lance sweeps and heavy brave potshots and punishing enemies like Assassins that have bows equipped

Imo assassin is being overrated, they're high priority targets due to their shameful defense where units have high dmg output. They can even be one shot with brave lance, weapon triangle bonus and lancefaire, specially the kids due to higher stats.

Assassins are quite flawed, yes, yet still the best class we have around.

Why is Cordelia so low when she has direct access to Dark Mage, Axe&Bow&Tome breakers and Spd+2

All she needs actually is:

Hero or Sorcerer

Axebreaker/Tomebreaker

Bowbreaker

Vengeance

Hex/Anathema

Speed+2/Patience (or Bond)

She has -1 mag and no Tomefaire to be a good Sorc. No Axefaire or Swordfaire to do much damage as a Hero either (Swordmaster/Assassin's damage output is higher because of Swordfaire, and also much more reliable doubling). I think she's still quite high on the list.

If most people are carrying at least one Armorslayer/Hammer on their teams, is it worth it to use Generals besides Walhart?

I never used Armourslayer on any of my sword users iirc. I'd just rather have them attack different units on their turns.

That said, forged +5 mt Armourslayer gives 39 effective Mt. If that's a Swordfaire Yen'fay attacking, say, General Walhart (spear equipped) with one, then that's going to result in 33 dmg, doubling, so still not quite a 2HKO. If Walhart has an axe instead, it'll be 38 dmg - still almost there. A str asset Robin can apparently pull it off against an axe Walhart... that is, if Walhart lacks Conquest somehow. Still, a good indication of how well you can do against another General.

Assassins are quite flawed, yes, yet still the best class we have around.

Spd mods and Skill procs are what make an assassin top tier. Doubling Lunas with a brave don't care if your str is low

She has -1 mag and no Tomefaire to be a good Sorc. No Axefaire or Swordfaire to do much damage as a Hero either (Swordmaster/Assassin's damage output is higher because of Swordfaire, and also much more reliable doubling). I think she's still quite high on the list.

-1 Mag won't matter if she's running Vengeance.

I have to experiment with her in a battle that doesn't have kids but I think she'd perform decently enough, arguably better than Vaike since Vaikes a brute with gimmicky Sol to call his own.

long story short she's probably the worst Sorcerer but still a sorcerer

I never used Armourslayer on any of my sword users iirc. I'd just rather have them attack different units on their turns.

That said, forged +5 mt Armourslayer gives 39 effective Mt. If that's a Swordfaire Yen'fay attacking, say, General Walhart (spear equipped) with one, then that's going to result in 33 dmg, doubling, so still not quite a 2HKO. If Walhart has an axe instead, it'll be 38 dmg - still almost there. A str asset Robin can apparently pull it off against an axe Walhart... that is, if Walhart lacks Conquest somehow. Still, a good indication of how well you can do against another General.

Conquest-less Walhart can probably skate by, as there's only a few ways to determine that he's not running it. FOR THE META-EST OF METAGAMING

Vaike has really good mods for a gen 1 dude and some pretty awesome skills (Axefaire/buster, sol, lucky seven, etc). I'd say he's a lot better than Cordelia.

All his class options are pretty good too, barring trickster.

Edited by General Horace

-1 Mag won't matter if she's running Vengeance.

I have to experiment with her in a battle that doesn't have kids but I think she'd perform decently enough, arguably better than Vaike since Vaikes a brute with gimmicky Sol to call his own.

long story short she's probably the worst Sorcerer but still a sorcerer

She's still probably better than Henry whose only unique quality as a Sorc is having Lucky Seven. However, Henry can use Assassin and Berserker classes with Vengeance and Tomebreaker skills, so he's miles better than her anyway.

And it's difficult to answer the question as to who is better, a subpar Sorc or a good Hero/Warrior/Assassin/Berserker (Cordelia vs. Vaike). This is the main reason why I do acknowledge the tier list is kind of a mess, and many of the classes could be sorted alphabetically within the tiers.

I'm not sure how great Vaike would be as an Assassin though, as he lacks both an offensive proc and Sword/Bowfaire.

Yeah, actually. Vaike's skillset has been pretty bad ever since Counter and Lethality got banned, too. The only useful ones are Axefaire, Sol, Axebreaker and Lucky Seven, so you're almost certainly running Resistance+10 along with it. If it's Assassin, then you'll actually have to equip something as crappy as one of "HP+5, Zeal, Gamble, Wrath". So he's probably one of the worst Assassins around (this might need extra investigation since there are so many of these in 1st Gen alone), yet it's still a good class.

I think we just need more games to help establish the meta. Like I don't think there was huge useage of Calill and Nasir in Fe9 until the tournament. It's amplified here though, there are so many different ways you can play this. I think the gap between top tier units and classes and the average run of the mill units and classes is a lot closer here too.

Edited by General Horace

So, after my game with Anon, I think Sorcs are worth the top spot over Assassins.

Assassins are a huge threat due to outspeeding most units, having access to offensive skills (specially Luna), having high damage output and brave weapons. But the thing is, they can get rekt by sword and bow breakers, tanks like Generals, Brave and Luna procs. Some units can even one shot Assassins and they'll be a nuker for one turn. High damage, fast but frail with wet paper durability.

On the other hand, Sorcerers are a menacing threat, it is really risky to target them because they counter hard and can do vengeance recovery, leaving its attacker nearly dead and they pretty much intact in terms of health.

I'd say Swordmasters should go down B Tier above Great Lord. SMs are a predictable class, some swordbreaker can play around with them. The difference with Assassins is that having access to bows helps them take kills with the possibility of no counter attack, it is a less risky option in that sense.

So, after my game with Anon, I think Sorcs are worth the top spot over Assassins.

Agreed. Assassins can do some neat stuff, like have Speed+2 and kill other assassins if they're...Olivia and Sumia, I think, but Sorcs are just monsters. I suppose physical units with tomebreaker work, but there aren't all that many of them.

I'd say Swordmasters should go down B Tier above Great Lord. SMs are a predictable class, some swordbreaker can play around with them. The difference with Assassins is that having access to bows helps them take kills with the possibility of no counter attack, it is a less risky option in that sense.

As much as I want to use a Swordmaster and the Sol Katti, I can never really justify having one over an assassin.

As much as I want to use a Swordmaster and the Sol Katti, I can never really justify having one over an assassin.

True. But, how viable are stuff like Sol Katti and Ruin when Demoiselle is a common thing and units have 40+ lck. Maybe build a crit unit with stuff like Solidarity, Anathema, Wrath, etc., but I don't think it would be worth it.

edit: maybe in the averages meta it would work, but I think averages would be so complicated that we'll need multiple tables per unit and it'd be a mess.

Edited by Quintessence

~*~* Sorcerer ~*~*

1r2o12.jpg

Today, let's have a look at the Sorcerers available in the metagame. The following characters have access to the class:

gen 1

RobinF
RobinM
Miriel
Cordelia
Libra
Tharja
Henry
Gangrel
Aversa

gen 2
Morgan
Severa
Laurent
Noire
Kids of Robin / Libra / Henry (potentially everyone)

General Info:

Stats           HP  Str  Mag  Skl  Spd  Lck  Def  Res  acc  avo  crt
Sorcerer        80   30   44   38   40   45   41   44   79   82   19

Pros and cons:

+ the only class that can naturally restore HP when attacking without needing skill procs

+ very respectable bulk of 41 def/44 res

+ 2nd highest mag stat in the game

+ can double and destroy most Generals

+ access to Vengeance makes Sorc a top tier offensive threat

+ an extremely difficult unit to attack because of bulk and recovery

+ recovery makes Sorc a decent class to attack predicted Vantage units with when no bow users are available / you don't want to expose them with bows

+ opponent's reluctance to attack your Sorc justifies putting support skills like Bond, Anathema and Demoiselle on your Sorc and expect them to be in effect until the end of the battle

- speed is low at 40 before mods, leaving you vulnerable to be attacked 4 times in 1 turn with a brave weapon

- locked into one weapon type, which leaves it vulnerable to Tomebreaker users (i.e. Robin and other units with Sorc access)

- generally not the best unit to choose to move with for your own turns

- low skill of 38 leaves you with poorer than average Vengeance proc rates

- tends to just sit there waiting for endgame to roll in

- can potentially be subjected to a number of potential metagame nerfs in the future (Aversa's Night forge ban / Vengeance ban, possible others)

:::Optimal Weapons:::

tomes            MT HIT CRIT RNG OTHER
Valaflame        16  80  10  1-2 +5 mag
Thoron*          14  65  10  1-2
Mjölnir          18  70  20  1-2 +5 skl
Rexcalibur*      10  85   0  1-2
Excalibur        13 100  30  1-2
Forseti          14  90  10  1-2 +5 spd
Book of Naga     15  80  15  1-2 +5 def/res
Ruin*            04  60  50  1-2
Waste            10  45   0  1-2 2x attack
Mire             10  65   0 3-10 not countered, nulls users proc skills (luna, sol etc.)
Micaiahs Pyre*   13  85   5  1-2 +2 def/res
Superior Jolt*   14  60  15  1-2 "Tomebreaker"
Katarinas Bolt*  11  75  30  1-2
Celicas Gale     04  80   5  1-2 2x attack
Aversas Night*   15  75   0  1-2 drains HP

Aversa's Night+ (not banned currently) is run by all Sorcerers and is ideal to withstand enemy phases during which the Sorc is attacked several times. Forseti offers +5 spd which enables Sorcs to avoid being doubled by some threats. Celica's Gale works wonders with the Vengeance skill and can deal incredible damage when the user is seriously wounded. Waste is a stronger, less accurate alternative that needs hit/avo support to avoid whiffing. Ruin+ can be used to try for a crit if desperate, if you have the inventory space for it. Superior Jolt+ can target your opponent's Sorcs (and Dread Fighters with tomes) with a big hit/avo advantage should you lack the Tomebreaker skill (Sorcerer-only skill). Mire can be used to attack without taking counter and in turn leaves you unable to counter on the following turn (which Sorcs generally do not like); inaccurate.

::Skills::

All Sorcerers have access to the Dark Mage class set, which features Dark Mage, Sorcerer and Dark Knight skills (all six are usable in the Link Arena, which is a rarity). Can be exported to other classes the units above have access to. The skills are as follows:

Hex - Avoid -15 to all adjacent enemies

An inferior Hit Rate+20 that grants less hit and fails to affect bow users (combat against everyone else counts as 'adjacent'). Since it combos with Anathema, it could be used should you worry about your Sorc's hit rates, for instance, if you want to use Waste instead of Celica's Gale as your brave-type spell of choice (it offers +6x2 Mt at the expense of -35 hit). This skill otherwise loses competition to other skills Sorcs have at their disposal, and they always have a wide range of options. Not recommended.

Anathema - Avoid and Critical Avoid -10 to all enemies within a 3 tile radius

A central skill in the metagame ever since it was agreed that it should function as a reverse aura skill (Demoiselle, Charm etc.). The additional +10 hit is handy for making brave-weapon attacks connect, as well as letting attacks land against an enemy with an effective -breaker skill, serving the Sorc's team faithfully until s/he is felled. The +10 crit can result in visible displayed crit (albeit very low) for the Anathema user's team mates should they be using legendary weaponry in combat, potentially leading to hax.

Vengeance - Deals (user’s Max HP – Current HP)/2 extra damage (skl*2 activation rate)

Focal offensive skill that's seriously considered for a ban right now. The extra atk Vengeance grants is always helpful and can grow as huge as +38 atk per hit if at 1 or 2 HP, which is disastrous when brave weaponry is involved. The power increase has excellent synergy with Aversa's Night forges that are commonly seen on Sorcs, further increasing the HP it recovers and bolstering the Sorc's longevity. Sorc's 38 skill cap means you have poorer chances of proccing it than some of the other high-end classes in the metagame, but it is still sufficient to constantly make a difference. Works wonderfully when exported to other classes with better player phases than Sorcerer.

Tomebreaker - Hit rate and Avoid +50 when the enemy is equipped with a tome

Used commonly by Sorcerers to have better chances of fighting other Sorcerers. If a Sorc lacking Tomebreaker fights a Sorc with the skill, they'll have to equip a Superior Jolt forge so as to not face a substantial hit/avo disadvantage, sacrificing a bit of power and, more importantly, Aversa's Night HP absorption property. It is however not uncommon for Sorcs to not touch other Sorcs, so it's up to you to decide whether this is worth one of the five skill slots.

Slow Burn - Hit rate and Avoid increases by 1 each Turn, up to the 15th Turn

Dark Knight skill. Since it happens often enough that a Sorc is ignored until the end of the battle, this is likely to make a difference when you do get attacked. Whether it's a good to run this skill is a different matter. As previously mentioned, Sorcs generally have enough viable options. Still, accurate Waste and all that.

Lifetaker - User recovers 50% HP after they defeat an enemy during the user’s Turn

Underrated Dark Knight skill. Absorbing up to 40 HP after killing somebody on your turn is a reliable way (unlike Sol procs) to refill a bulk of your HP. Works well in combination with Vengeance and Galeforce (disputable) as well as other skills that recover health like Renewal and Bond.

:::Potential Sorcerers (Gen 1):::

In this situation, we will quickly compare the available Sorcs and see what personal modifers and class sets make them stand out among others. I will only cite important mods (no mention of +2 skl or -1 res here) and skills (who cares about Wrath or Resistance+2 access).

mum_zpswsut8ady.pngmuf_zpso3ktaeu9.jpg

customisable modifiers e.g.

+mag -str (+4 mag, +2 spd, -1 def)

or +mag -def (+4 mag, +2 spd, -3 def)

or +spd -skl/str (+4 spd, -1 def)

Every skill (Res+10 exclusive to RobinM; Speed+2, Demoiselle, Bond and Galeforce exclusive to RobinF)

RobinM and RobinF are some of the best Sorcs you can have due to the number of skills they can potentially run, making them far more unpredictable than anyone else in the gen 1 metagame. The Counter ban arguably leaves no reasons to run RobinM (Axefaire and Berserker/Warrior access does provide such a reason for other classes) while RobinF gets some good gen 1 female exclusives. Being able to customise your own mods, with some examples showcased above, allows for flexibility and results in prowess that other Sorcs have. With Speed+2, RobinF can be built to have 46 speed before Forseti, avoiding being doubled by most units targeting her (not counting Balmung/Yewfelle users). Robin is the only Sorc in the first generation to have Vantage access, which combos nicely with Vengeance and Celica's Gale. With the endless skill builds however, you have all the tools to be creative and unpredictable. Since there's no reason to not be using Robin in gen 1 (and likely also gen 2) the big question is whether it's exactly Sorcerer that you should make your Robin and not one of the other classes where they offer unique advantages and utility.

271209_miriel1_zpsy2brtzeo.jpg

(mag+3, spd+1, -2 def)

Tomefaire, Renewal, Demoiselle, Bond

Access to Tomefaire and a big magic modifier make Miriel one of the strongest hitters in the class. Renewal compliments Aversa's Night/Lifetaker recovery, and Demoiselle can be used as a support skill, much like Anathema. Can also support her team with Bond. Currently the most commonly used Sorc, she might be a little overrated. It's rather easy to guess how Miriel is built. Miriel's poorer-than-average defence can be seen as an advantage from the angle that it makes Vengeance even stronger.

270939_cordelia_zps7ixvtjuu.jpg

(mag-1, spd+2)

Speed+2, Galeforce, Axebreaker, Bowbreaker, Sol, Bond

An interesting character. Cordelia's stats aren't entirely suitable for a tome user, and that mag-1 can be a problem. She is fast however (with the option to equip Speed+2 from the Pegasus Knight class set for a final 44 speed, which is very fast for a Sorc), and has refreshing skill options. Axebreaker and Bowbreaker are helpful to help her survive some of the physical threats like Berserkers and Assassins and easily connect the users of said weapon types with niche tomes like Waste and Ruin. Galeforce can allow Cordelia to carry out mini-sweeps with Vengeance and brave-type spells. Sol probably conflicts with Vengeance and will not help your durability when using Aversa's Night. It can be argued that Cordelia makes a better Hero than a Sorc because of her mods.

libra_zpstinvoihi.jpg

(mag+1)

Renewal, Miracle, Tomefaire, Res+10

A seldom-used Sorc. Libra has a modest mag modifier compared to Miriel (who also has Renewal/Tomefaire), but comes with the Miracle skill which may occasionally allow him to survive a fatal strike and let him stay alive even longer with all the means of recovery Sorcs can have. Not a bad alternative to Miriel if you trust Miracle to proc. No Bond support, but Dread Fighter's Res+10 can be used for better matchups against other tome users.

tharja_zpsxru6dijj.jpg

(mag+3, spd+1, def+1)

Pavise, Luna, Hit Rate+20, Bowbreaker, Bond

Tharja has excellent mods for a Sorc and unique extra skills from the Knight and Archer class sets. Since Sorcs should care a lot about their matchups against melee fighters, Pavise makes Tharja that much better than other Sorcs at facing sword, lance and axe users. Luna is a questionable alternative to Vengeance. Hit Rate+20 erases the need for Hex and can be considered for Ruin/Waste strategies. Bowbreaker compliments Tomebreaker nicely, and the combination of Pavise/Bowbreaker/Tomebreaker gives Tharja chance-based protection against every single weapon type there is. Tharja is probably not a bad General because of Tomebreaker and Vengeance access either.

271050_henry_zpsrgglurv4.jpg2iljOd.jpg

(mag+1, +1 def) / (spd+3, def-1)

Lucky Seven, Res+10

Linking these two together because they share the Barbarian and Thief class sets, even if their mods are a bit different. Ever since Lethality and Counter got rightfully banished from the metagame, Lucky Seven is the sole unique skill Henry and Gangrel can get credit for, and it's really not an effective skill for Sorcs who hesitate to attack until later on and whom the opposition often hesitates to attack as well. Henry is likely the worst Sorc you can choose while Gangrel has a really high speed modifier to reach 43 speed without requiring any additional skills like Speed+2, but that's all he has going for him. Henry and Gangrel are still awesome due to their ability to access Berserker and Assassin classes, where they export the ever-awesome Vengeance and Tomebreaker/Resistance+10 skills. Not the best Sorcs, but great Sorc-slayers and general Vengeance users as melee fighters.

s66VAY.jpg

(mag+3, spd+1)

Speed+2, Galeforce, Quick Burn, Swordbreaker, Lancebreaker, Bond

Have we seen these mag/spd modifiers on another girl before? Aversa's quite different from Miriel and Tharja because of her access to firstly Galeforce (for which one can occasionally find very good use) and also Swordbreaker and Lancebreaker, later making her stand out since she's the only non-Robin gen 1 Sorc with an advantage against sword and lance users, some of whom are really out to get Aversa. Quick Burn is probably wasted on a lategame unit, but it's there. Aversa can also avoid getting doubled by some of the fast classes like Assassins by equipping Speed+2 (43 speed avoids being doubled by Priam and Stahl for example, and 48 speed with Forseti isn't doubled by 50+2 spd RobinFs).

-------------------------------------

I'll probably cover Assassins/Swordmasters in the next post.

Any comments welcome. I modified some things in the opening post, too.

Edited by Snoop Dogg

I ran aversa last match hoping to get something out of her, with her benefits of Speed+2 access to troll the world.

Too bad Jedi gave no fucks with Tiamo!