English Name Predictions

Hoshidokoala

I've been thinking of this for a while now and have come up with some guesses as to what English character names could and might be.

For Example, I think that:

• Lutz could be changed to Felix - as it means fortunate or lucky one
  • Nyx could be changed to something like Arachne or Ariadne possibly
  • Flannel could possibly change to something like Flax or Lampas - both types of cloth

I was also wondering what peoples' views were on the names and how the Japanese name might be localised. Please comment below as to what you believe the names might change to for the western release.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matoi almost certainly won't stay that way, being a reference to Cordelia's original Japanese name of Tiamo (through an anagram).

So there is the question what would keep a proper reference to Cordelia, presumably in English….

I don't think they'll necessarily make it an anagram… but perhaps it will form some other reference.

I feel like most of the names of the Nohrians will not be changed since most of them are Western. I suspect the Japanese names will either remain the same, or be shortened forms of their Japanese names. They know Hoshido is based on Japan and it would be silly to me to change their Japanese origins completely, which, so far, none of them have, so it's a good sign~

The most changes I expect will probably be the kids and have them reference the English names of the Awakening characters in some way if they're one of the ones like Matoi, Gray, Syalla, etc.~

Matoi almost certainly won't stay that way, being a reference to Cordelia's original Japanese name of Tiamo (through an anagram).

So there is the question what would keep a proper reference to Cordelia, presumably in English….

I don't think they'll necessarily make it an anagram… but perhaps it will form some other reference.

Since the localized name, Cordelia, does have a minor Shakespearen reference tied to it, my opinion is that maybe Matoi will get a similar treatement. I'd be optomistic towards her being named Helena, although I feel likewise odd because her father is Hoshidan so. Perhaps maybe Erica because its a flower and the letters are all a part of Cordelia, too. And that's more belivable name for the culture.

I think Crimson may be named any of Amara, Cinna, Carmen or Ruby given they all at least fit the trend of the name and are more normal sounding to English speakers for a lady's name.

Maybe Foleo will get called Leonard, maybe, or some other name that means lion that I'm not thinking of but can be suiting.

I do think some of the Hoshido characters will get similar treatments to (T)Subaki like, maybe, Midori(ko). Perhaps.

If they're going to change Laznigo's english name, I will accept no other than Westley. The Princess Bride references or death.

I feel like they're probably going to change Nishiki's name to Nishi because Nintendo thinks we can't pronounce Japanese names longer than two syllables. I see them changing Benoit's name to something like Benedict (but that just makes me think of Cumberbatch). Belka to Velka too, maybe.

eternally pissed at suzukaze to kaze

Edited by nuclearmuffins

I was thinking ignis could possibly be chandler because that is the only fire related name I could think of since it means candle maker

If they're going to change Laznigo's english name, I will accept no other than Westley. The Princess Bride references or death.

I feel like they're probably going to change Nishiki's name to Nishi because Nintendo thinks we can't pronounce Japanese names longer than two syllables. I see them changing Benoit's name to something like Benedict (but that just makes me think of Cumberbatch). Belka to Velka too, maybe.

eternally pissed at suzukaze to kaze

I approve of Velka personally - it seems to suit her more in my opinion.

also saizou would just be zou keeping a similer change with his brother

Well, Suzukaze lost two syllables from the start of his name, and if you do that to Saizou you get... er, yeah. Poor guy, first he loses his eye, then he loses his name.

But yeah I fully expect a lot of Hoshidan names to be shortened, since as said before Nintendo apparently thinks we're too stupid to pronounce Japanese names more than two syllables long.

Edited by capmalachi

Well, Suzukaze lost two syllables from the start of his name, and if you do that to Saizou you get... er, yeah. Poor guy, first he loses his eye, then he loses his name.

But yeah I fully expect a lot of Hoshidan names to be shortened, since as said before Nintendo apparently thinks we're too stupid to pronounce Japanese names more than two syllables long.

Sakura, Hinoka and Ryoma are the exceptions though

They have faith in us with names up to three syllables long. Four is "too difficult".

But seriously guys, why the hell would they shorten Saizou? The worst that could happen is removing the 'u' from the end...

They have faith in us with names up to three syllables long. Four is "too difficult".

But seriously guys, why the hell would they shorten Saizou? The worst that could happen is removing the 'u' from the end...

Thinking about it, you're right, they do think we can just about handle three. I think people were kidding about Saizou though, I certainly was. Dropping the U is all I expect.

Edited by capmalachi

The four-syllable Hoshidan names left to be shortened are: Tsukuyomi, Yukimura, Midoriko, Shinonome, and Kisaragi.

I can see Tsukuyomi, Yukimura, and Shinonome becoming Yomi, Yuki, and Shino, though I can't say I like these. Midoriko makes more sense to become Midori, which I'm okay with because it preserves the 'green' meaning. Kisaragi...I have no idea, maybe Kisara but that sounds very feminine