English Name Predictions

Hoshidokoala

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want the names to keep some semblance of meaning. They already messed up T/Subaki so badly, make it actual names!

Though if they're going to change anything I think they might rename Flannel to make a reference to a fictional were/wolf, actually. I would like them to keep a fabric reference, but if they're going to change it to anything else, Remus or Fenris for the win.

I just want the names to keep some semblance of meaning. They already messed up T/Subaki so badly, make it actual names!

Though if they're going to change anything I think they might rename Flannel to make a reference to a fictional were/wolf, actually. I would like them to keep a fabric reference, but if they're going to change it to anything else, Remus or Fenris for the win.

Watch it become Woole

If they're going to change Laznigo's english name, I will accept no other than Westley. The Princess Bride references or death.

I feel like they're probably going to change Nishiki's name to Nishi because Nintendo thinks we can't pronounce Japanese names longer than two syllables. I see them changing Benoit's name to something like Benedict (but that just makes me think of Cumberbatch). Belka to Velka too, maybe.

eternally pissed at suzukaze to kaze

Nah, I think Lazward's English name will be Montoya. Also, I doubt Benoit would be renamed Benedict. Most Americans see that name, Benedict Arnold is likely the first thing they think of. Given that NoA is avoiding the Communism issue with Xander and Leo, it's likely they'd avoid it in that case as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pieri was changed to Harley. That's an easy reference for those who know it.

Wouldn't be shocked if Westley became Lazward's name.

For Matoi, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like Orihime. Keeps the Japanese theme for her Hoshidan origins and has a similar theme to Cordelia.

I expect most Hoshidan names to be shortened or to have a letter dropped, like Tsukuyomi -> Yomi, Saizou -> Saizo, Yukimura -> Yuki... I don't have complete faith that the names will turn out well especially after Tsubaki -> Subaki... WTH.

As for Nohrian names, I expect most to remain the same or have a letter dropped. After all, Marx was probably changed to Xander just to fit in with the cutscene mouth movements. The only Nohrian names I expect to be changed completely are Luna's, Lazward's, and Ignis'. Luna and Ignis need to be changed because those two share names with in-game skills (and Luna isn't that close to Severa), and Lazward because there's little connection to the name Inigo.

The four-syllable Hoshidan names left to be shortened are: Tsukuyomi, Yukimura, Midoriko, Shinonome, and Kisaragi.

I can see Tsukuyomi, Yukimura, and Shinonome becoming Yomi, Yuki, and Shino, though I can't say I like these. Midoriko makes more sense to become Midori, which I'm okay with because it preserves the 'green' meaning. Kisaragi...I have no idea, maybe Kisara but that sounds very feminine

>Starts to say that "Kisaragi" has remained intact in an English localization

>Realizes same localization had Tsubaki

Though really, Kisaragi seems like the most simplistic one; it might sound like a bit of a mouthful, but it's pronounced exactly how it's spelled. It's honestly a bit too early to say for certain that most of Hoshido will have their names changed.

I expect most Hoshidan names to be shortened or to have a letter dropped, like Tsukuyomi -> Yomi, Saizou -> Saizo, Yukimura -> Yuki... I don't have complete faith that the names will turn out well especially after Tsubaki -> Subaki... WTH.

There's still hope; it's half a year out, and that's more than enough time. English trailers for Awakening had the first boss (finalized as Garrick) named Grendel.

>Starts to say that "Kisaragi" has remained intact in an English localization

>Realizes same localization had Tsubaki

Though really, Kisaragi seems like the most simplistic one; it might sound like a bit of a mouthful, but it's pronounced exactly how it's spelled. It's honestly a bit too early to say for certain that most of Hoshido will have their names changed.

There's still hope; it's half a year out, and that's more than enough time. English trailers for Awakening had the first boss (finalized as Garrick) named Grendel.

Idk, some people might pronounce it Kisarajee or something. And then put the accent in the wrong place so it becomes ki-SAH-ra-jee. English speakers will manage to find ways to mispronounce almost any Japanese name, even if they are technically all spelled exactly how they are pronounced because it's a phonetic language

I think the reason that names like Kazahana and Suzukaze were shortened because they wouldn't fit.

Or just because.

If they're going to change Laznigo's english name, I will accept no other than Westley. The Princess Bride references or death.

No, to the pain

Hoshido names are going to be butchered, I can feel it.

Hinata will probably be able to keep his name, I think characters like Severa and Cordelia will have similar rhyming English names;

like Severa - Savannah, Sabrina, or Sephora and Cordelia - Amelia, Cora, or Celia ~

Velour might be Velvet (but that's Panne's name, so idk)

As for names like Kisaragi, Kinu, Oboro, Kagerou, and Shigure, they are probably getting vastly different (but nonetheless Japanese) names b/c they're all named after Japanese imperial ships.

Kinu might get something cloth related, like Satin? Lacey? haha I'm not sure, seems like a stretch ; u ;

Fingers crossed that they won't destrpy Oboro's name and give her something super cutesy...

like maybe Opal or Oriana ? aaah idk

I think the reason that names like Kazahana and Suzukaze were shortened because they wouldn't fit.

Or just because.

Maribelle's name is longer than both of theirs. NoA is just bein' silly.

Since the localization team already changed Harold to Arthur, I'm pretty sure that anything could happen. I think these are reasonable "predictions", but it's all up in the air.

Mozume = Molly/Madelyn/Montana

All are southern sounding names (assuming she's following Donnel's style of localization)

Asura = Garrett/Carter

He's a Nohr thief, probably will have a "western" sounding name.

Izana = Antonie/Alexis

He seems like he would have a "French" name. He's the king of a random province that looks refined.

Lilith = Asteria

The Greek god of stars. Lilith (to most Christians) is associated with a "demon" and thus, bad. Since she's a good character and is a star dragon, just seems appropriate. (Lilith it is!)

Saizou = Saizo

Easy to pronounce, but most likely dropping the end vowel. (Plus, it's the name of a famous ninja already)

Kagerou = Chiyome/Miyuki

Not easy to pronounce, but I think they want to stay within a Japanese sounding name scheme. Chiyome is a famous woman who gather female-only ninjas during the Sengoku period (same time Saizou was "famous" for being a ninja). Also, it's easier to pronounce. Or perhaps Miyuki, because it sounds feminine and Japanese all at the same time.

Asama = Asama

Easy to say - looks like its fits.

Setsuna = Suna

Western localization tends to stay away from 't's when they are next to another consonant. Also, Suna sounds feminine.

Hinata = Hiro/Hiroki

Names ending in an 'a' are seen as feminine in the western world. Since this is a man, I think they will get it to end in an 'o' or an 'i'.

Oboro = Okimi/Odina

Again, western world sees a name ending in an 'o' as masculine. There, I think they will switch it to an 'a' or an 'i'.

Tsukuyomi = Kuyomi

Too long and has a 't' that I already mentioned.

Nikishi = Nike/Reynard

I have a feeling they will shorten this or change it completely. Since he's not *living* in Hoshido (he's a weird fox clan elsewhere) I think they will try and strip him of an Asian-style name. (Reynard being a popular Fox folktale in the west).

Orochi = Amaya

I have a feeling this name will be changed for sure. Orochi is masculine sounding - probably giving her a more female style name.

Yukimura = Kimuto

Again, to make it more masculine.

Yuugiri = Yuki

They might not even bother changing this - I think the name fits perfectly, but it is "odd" for westerns due to the many vowels.

Crimson = Scarlet/Ruby

Crimson is not usually a name in western culture.

Lazward = Iden

The Japanese seem to be playing off the Awakening name scheme for their "fake identities". Since Lazward was Inigo in the American release, I can see Iden being his "fake identity".

Pieri = Beth/Eleanor/Payne

Her name is supposed to represent her "angry/violent side" - Beth for the Shakespeare reference, Eleanor for the Edgar Allen Poe reference and Payne (because that would be on-the-nose).

Luna = Selene/Serena

Again, to represent Awakening cover name.

Belka = Blair

She seems tomboy-ish and should probably have a "unisex" name that sounds western.

Odin = Odin

I think this will stay the same - it already harkens back to Owain and it's over-the-top, like his character would have wanted.

Zero = Zero

It already sounds like a code-name of sorts, and it's easy to say... Not really a "name" though, so I think it will be changed but I have no idea what. Hopefully they just keep it.

Effie = Valerie

Something western sounding and not just a bunch of vowels and consonants. (Forgot that Effie was already her name in the demo - pretty bizarre thought)

Nyx = Nyx

Easy to say, and looks cool. What more could you want?

Charlotte = Colette

Shortening the name to make it easier.

Benoit = Bennett/Beckett

Both sound reasonably close and easier to say.

Flannel = Some-fabric-joke-here

Seriously - they're just going to give him a different type of fabric. Maybe he'll be named suede or something.

Kanna = Kai/Riley

Both are unisex names that are easy to pronounce - one that seems more Hoshido and one more Nohr - not sure what the localization will do.

Shigure = Shane/Kenta

To make it easier to pronounce - not sure if it will be more Hoshido or Nohr.

Deere = Derrik

Since his father's name is Jakob.

Sophie = Sophie

Probably not changing.

Midoriko = Mika

Make it easier to say and keep the cuteness!

Shinonome = Ryota/Ronin/Satoshi

Something easy to pronounce while still being Japanese.

Kisaragi = Kenji

Again, easy to pronounce while still being Japanese.

Gurei = Grey/Gunner

In his supports he says he took on a Nohr-style name (because his real name is Saizou). Therefore, Grey or Gunner both sound western and are easy to say/read. Bam.

Kinu = Vixen

We all know why.

Hisame = Haru

Easier for westerns to pronounce.

Mitama = Michi

Easier to pronounce.

Matoi = Kora/Lia

To still sound Japanese while hinting at her English name "Cordelia".

Syalla = Shara

I think this would still sound like "Tharja" while still keeping the Japanese sounding name.

Siegbert = Adelbert/Alex

To connect to his father - or easier to pronounce.

Foleo = Leonidas

To connect to his father - is actually a name.

Ignis = Zeke/Axel

Still has a weird name but now it isn't also the name of a skill.

Velour = Again-cloth-joke-here

Maybe her name will be Velvet.

Lutz = Felix

It means luck and sounds like a western name.

Ophelia = Oleisia

To hint more to her grandmother. Otherwise, it's totally fine.

Soleil = Sylvia

To hint more to her grandmother.

Eponine = Cosette/Fantine

You get where this is going.

Edited by Kakeyo

Nah, I think Lazward's English name will be Montoya. Also, I doubt Benoit would be renamed Benedict. Most Americans see that name, Benedict Arnold is likely the first thing they think of. Given that NoA is avoiding the Communism issue with Xander and Leo, it's likely they'd avoid it in that case as well.

The reason why they might change Benoit's name is to prevent association with Chris Benoit, who's a bit more controversial to Americans than Benedict Arnold is.

Since the localization team already changed Harold to Arthur, I'm pretty sure that anything could happen. I think these are reasonable "predictions", but it's all up in the air.

All are southern sounding names (assuming she's following Donnel's style of localization)

Asura = Garrett/Carter

Izana = Antonie/Alexis

He seems like he would have a "French" name. He's the king of a random province that looks refined.

Lilith = Asteria

The Greek god of stars. Lilith (to most Christians) is associated with a "demon" and thus, bad. Since she's a good character and is a star dragon, just seems appropriate.

Saizou = Saizo

Easy to pronounce, but most likely dropping the end vowel. (Plus, it's the name of a famous ninja already)

Kagerou = Chiyome/Miyuki

Not easy to pronounce, but I think they want to stay within a Japanese sounding name scheme. Chiyome is a famous woman who gather female-only ninjas during the Sengoku period (same time Saizou was "famous" for being a ninja). Also, it's easier to pronounce. Or perhaps Miyuki, because it sounds feminine and Japanese all at the same time.

Asama = Asama

Setsuna = Suna

Western localization tends to stay away from 't's when they are next to another consonant. Also, Suna sounds feminine.

Hinata = Hiro/Hiroki

Names ending in an 'a' are seen as feminine in the western world. Since this is a man, I think they will get it to end in an 'o' or an 'i'.

Oboro = Okimi/Odina

Again, western world sees a name ending in an 'o' as masculine. There, I think they will switch it to an 'a' or an 'i'.

Tsukuyomi = Kuyomi

Nikishi = Nike/Reynard

I have a feeling they will shorten this or change it completely. Since he's not in Hoshido I think they will try and strip him of an Asian-style name. (Reynard being a popular Fox folktale in the west).

Orochi = Amaya

I have a feeling this name will be changed for sure. Orochi is masculine sounding - probably giving her a more female style name.

Yukimura = Kimuto

Yuugiri = Yuki

They might not even bother changing this - I think the name fits perfectly, but it is "odd" for westerns due to the many vowels.

Crimson = Scarlet/Ruby

Lazward = Iden

The Japanese seem to be playing off the Awakening name scheme for their "fake identities". Since Lazward was Inigo in the American release, I can see Iden being his "fake identity".

Her name is supposed to represent her "angry/violent side" - Beth for the Shakespeare reference, Eleanor for the Edgar Allen Poe reference and Payne (because that would be on-the-nose).

Luna = Selene/Serena

Belka = Blair

She seems tomboy-ish and should probably have a "unisex" name that sounds western.

Odin = Odin

I think this will stay the same - it already harkens back to Owain and it's over-the-top, like his character would have wanted.

Zero = Zero

It already sounds like a code-name of sorts, and it's easy to say... Not really a "name" though, so I think it will be changed but I have no idea what. Hopefully they just keep it.

Effie = Valerie

Something western sounding and not just a bunch of vowels and consonants.

Nyx = Nyx

Charlotte = Colette

Benoit = Bennett/Beckett

Seriously - they're just going to give him a different type of fabric. Maybe he'll be named suede or something.

Kanna = Kai/Riley

Both are unisex names that are easy to pronounce - one that seems more Hoshido and one more Nohr - not sure what the localization will do.

Shigure = Shane/Kenta

Deere = Derrik

Sophie = Sophie

Probably not changing.

Midoriko = Mika

Kisaragi = Kenji

Gurei = Grey/Gunner

In his supports he says he took on a Nohr-style name (because his real name is Saizou). Therefore, Grey or Gunner both sound western and are easy to say/read. Bam.

Kinu = Vixen

We all know why.

Hisame = Haru

Mitama = Michi

Easier to pronounce.

Matoi = Kora/Lia

Syalla = Shara

I think this would still sound like "Tharja" while still keeping the Japanese sounding name.

Siegbert = Adelbert/Alex

Foleo = Leonidas

Ignis = Zeke/Axel

Lutz = Felix

Ophelia = Oleisia

Soleil = Sylvia

Just to let you know, Effie is already her English name.

The reason why they might change Benoit's name is to prevent association with Chris Benoit, who's a bit more controversial to Americans than Benedict Arnold is.

Never really said that his name would be Benoit. I just said that his name wouldn't be Benedict.

Asura = Garrett/Carter

Izana = Antonie/Alexis

Lilith = Asteria

The Greek god of stars. Lilith (to most Christians) is associated with a "demon" and thus, bad. Since she's a good character and is a star dragon, just seems appropriate.

Saizou = Saizo

Kagerou = Chiyome/Miyuki

Asama = Asama

Setsuna = Suna

Hinata = Hiro/Hiroki

Oboro = Okimi/Odina

Tsukuyomi = Kuyomi

Nikishi = Nike/Reynard

I have a feeling they will shorten this or change it completely. Since he's not *living* in Hoshido (he's a weird fox clan elsewhere) I think they will try and strip him of an Asian-style name. (Reynard being a popular Fox folktale in the west).

Orochi = Amaya

Yukimura = Kimuto

Yuugiri = Yuki

Crimson = Scarlet/Ruby

Lazward = Iden

Luna = Selene/Serena

Belka = Blair

Odin = Odin

Zero = Zero

Effie = Valerie

Something western sounding and not just a bunch of vowels and consonants.

Nyx = Nyx

Charlotte = Colette

Benoit = Bennett/Beckett

Kanna = Kai/Riley

Shigure = Shane/Kenta

Deere = Derrik

Sophie = Sophie

Probably not changing.

Midoriko = Mika

Kisaragi = Kenji

Gurei = Grey/Gunner

Kinu = Vixen

We all know why.

Hisame = Haru

Mitama = Michi

Easier to pronounce.

Matoi = Kora/Lia

Syalla = Shara

Siegbert = Adelbert/Alex

Foleo = Leonidas

Ignis = Zeke/Axel

Lutz = Felix

Ophelia = Oleisia

Soleil = Sylvia

Just so you know Effie is her English name, and the same with Lilith.

Never really said that his name would be Benoit. I just said that his name wouldn't be Benedict.

Just so you know Effie is her English name, and the same with Lilith.

I struck it out!