Foleo's Localization[Slight Spoilers!]

Mr. Myrmidon

I browsed the thread regarding what may be censored in the NA versions of the games, and a particular concern struck me..Will Foleo's gender be changed to female in the NA versions? I know that it may seem silly, especially considering that Foleo can only marry females, but I fear that they may butcher the character as a result of cultural differences. I know this is unlikely, but I would like to gauge the opinions of others on the issue.

I doubt it - they didn't really change anything about Libra and he was kinda in the same boat. If anything, I can see them making him "ashamed of it" or having other people laugh at it all (in the west, men dressing as woman tend to be a joke in TV sitcoms, etc.). However, like I already said, they didn't change Libra - I doubt they will change Foleo's.

Why should they? I don't see anything that makes it extremely offensive.

Odd yes, but offensive?

There's nothing inherently offensive about the character whatsoever, I'm just a bit paranoid because of the localization of a certain Paper Mario character.(Albeit that was a few years ago.)

I doubt they will change it. If anything I could see them throwing some jokes about his gender.

Regarding Paper Mario: The rating for it was E for everyone, IS knew kids would be confused so they probably changed the ghost's gender. IS knows the audience for Fates, so they might keep it unchanged.

Edited by Noble Rapier

I'm certain they wouldn't do something that ridiculous. I mean, I doubt they'd go through all the trouble removing the masculine content of his, like his S-supports and even his in-game models. I don't see any reason Nintendo could possibly have to censor a character like Foleo, to change his sex would be changing his entire character, they'd end up having to butcher nearly all of his dialogue with other characters, even in his paralogue.

The girly thing is his gimmick. Without it, they might as well not have him.

Now if they made him a woman but made her transexual (via magical transition) that could actually be pretty interesting. They won't do it though, and they probably shouldn't as that would be changing his entire character, but it might appeal to a lot of Western fans and garner some positive press.

I don't agree that they should change the character, but if they did, there is potential to make it interesting and generate some Internet buzz.

There's nothing inherently offensive about the character whatsoever, I'm just a bit paranoid because of the localization of a certain Paper Mario character.(Albeit that was a few years ago.)

Wasn't that character transgendered? Whereas Foleo makes it loud and clear where he can that he is a cisgendered man, simply because of his culturally dissonant tastes?

I see no reason why they won't keep him as-is.

Edited by Tamarsamar

Then again, all the children seem really just that silly and nothing else.

Ahah... He's a man in Japan. That would be hilarious.

I think this and Paper Mario are in very different situations. Difficulty to localise, different target audience, and the fact that it's 2015 now.

Foleo is also in a different situation than Libra or Lucius. The former is (I think) a fashion designer who designed his own outfit, while the latter are treated as women involuntarily (in-story anyway; why don't they at least get a more fitting haircut is beyond me).

Birdo was a reverse-import. It was a regular female from the beginning, and the crossdressing bit was ADDED by Nintendo of America. Maybe they thought it was cool to laugh at crossdressers back then?

Edited by nocturnal YL

They didn't censor Marian in Story of Seasons that came out earlier this year. That's an E 10 and up game so no they won't do anything to Foleo. To be honest I didn't even realize Marian was a dude until they mentioned his girlfriend.

I doubt they'd do that. The days where things like that were accepted are thankfully over. Remember Zoisite and Fish Eye?That was in the nineties. Paper Mario is aimed at a children audience, unlike this game (unless they gut it like a fish and leaves us with the hollowed out remains).

Foleo is a cisgender male who is into crossdressing and will be treated like that.

IDK, Depends? Religious people could be offended.

I'm religious and I'm not offended whatsoever. Besides, it never stopped them from keeping the undertones in Severa and Kjelle's supports or any of the other select few in Awakening. There's nothing offensive about Foleo that I see them having to change.

The TTYD localization did not change Vivian's gender. It did remove the dialogue indicating she was trans, but it didn't even actually add any indications that she wasn't. Vivian is a girl, Foleo is a guy; the two situations are not comparable.

Given the characters the localization team has already left as is, it's hard to see what they'd change about Foleo.

Edited by Othin

Foleo is just a feminine looking guy who wears pink clothes. It really isn't a big deal, and I can't see them changing his character in any substantial way.

Edited by EJ107

I don't really see why localization would change much about Foleo.

At worst he might offend people who weren't even gonna buy the game anyway, and thats a BIG might. I don't see why Treehouse would make and substantial changes to him.