Foleo's Localization[Slight Spoilers!]

Mr. Myrmidon

Absolutely not. Theres nothing offensive or worth censoring about Foleo. Why the fuck are people so hung up about that? Let me repeat: There is nothing to censor regarding Foleo. Hes likely to be voiced by a woman VA but sound kinda mannish/androgynous. (see: Libra) And Foleo's thing is more that he loves to dress in cute clothes. Hes a bit of a fashionista. (he'd get along well with Oboro. Ooooh third path pairing option!)

Aren't they a generation apart though? Unless you mean mother/child

Mother/Child, brah. Shes a fashionista, hes a fashionista, getting it from his mum. Imagine Oboro fawning over how adorable her son's fashions are and trying to get him to ditch the "ugly Nohrian stuff" for a lovely kimono. Omg headcanoning that right now.

I actually kinda expect him to be re-written as trans, but who knows.

Ummm...you know, i dont get why people dont realize that you can cross dress and not be trans? Like i have a really good friend who is a hetero cis dude who cross dresses all the freaking time. Like...its a thing!

The amount of effort required to change his gender would make it impossible.

- Either remove all marriage options or rewrite new supports so he can marry every single male.

- Either remove the child or make it so he's another "female" that has a child tied to them.

- If the child is included, which they no doubt would be, rewrite every support that child has with the other parent.

Mother/Child, brah. Shes a fashionista, hes a fashionista, getting it from his mum. Imagine Oboro fawning over how adorable her son's fashions are and trying to get him to ditch the "ugly Nohrian stuff" for a lovely kimono. Omg headcanoning that right now.

Sadly, Leon can't marry Oboro. But you could make Oboro marry some supportable dude who has a daughter and then marry her to Foleo. Just imagine them bonding over making the wedding dresses!

Sadly, Leon can't marry Oboro. But you could make Oboro marry some supportable dude who has a daughter and then marry her to Foleo. Just imagine them bonding over making the wedding dresses!

really? Leon/Oboro cannot happen? I cry twin waterfalls. Well, dont wanna break up the OTP that is Takumi/Oboro anyway.

The amount of effort required to change his gender would make it impossible.

- Either remove all marriage options or rewrite new supports so he can marry every single male.

- Either remove the child or make it so he's another "female" that has a child tied to them.

- If the child is included, which they no doubt would be, rewrite every support that child has with the other parent.

He's one of the child characters, so he doesn't have any kids assigned to him. But yeah it just wouldn't happen.

Since it looks like different mothers have different supports for each kid, this may very well happen.

Nevermind, saw this can't happen.

Edited by TheWerdna

I think this and Paper Mario are in very different situations. Difficulty to localise, different target audience, and the fact that it's 2015 now.

Foleo is also in a different situation than Libra or Lucius. The former is (I think) a fashion designer who designed his own outfit, while the latter are treated as women involuntarily (in-story anyway; why don't they at least get a more fitting haircut is beyond me).

Birdo was a reverse-import. It was a regular female from the beginning, and the crossdressing bit was ADDED by Nintendo of America. Maybe they thought it was cool to laugh at crossdressers back then?

Birdo is actually a lot more complicated than that. In Japan and America, Birdo was called "a boy that thinks he's a girl". This is an obvious jab at transgender people - Birdo even has a preferred name in both America and Japan. In America, it's Birdette. After a bit, Nintendo of America didn't like something about Birdo's gender, and erased all script indicating she isn't biologically female (hopefully they figured it wasn't cool to make fun of transgender people...), and while Japan got... At least slightly less offensive at their jabs at LGBT people "seems like Yoshi's girlfriend... But is actually his boyfriend!?" Birdo - rather Birdette - is by all intents and purposes a joke about how transgender people are confused/mentally ill, as evidenced by her original text, and how Japan never dropped the insistence that Birdo was a guy who thinks he's a girl.

Vivian is a transgender woman, and is actually handled pretty well - her sisters, who were depicted as in the wrong with how they refused to call her anything but a boy, even using her sex to mock her. America erased this though.

Sorry for rambling. Foleo is different compared to Birdo and Vivian. Birdo is a joke, a mockery of transgender people. Vivian and Foleo are both depicted in a sympathetic light (as evidenced by Foleo's support, in his case). Vivian however, is transgender, and Foleo is a cisgender male who likes feminine things. I wouldn't be surprised if Foleo became an offensive joke instead of a sympathetic character by NoA. It would be disgusting, but that's more likely to happen than erasing his gender indentity, in my opinion.

Edited by Crooks

I doubt it. Its more likely hes going to be localized as simply a young man who loves being pretty and feminine. Foleo isnt even trans in the original game script. Hes a crossdresser.

Foleo is simply a man who's very in touch with his feminine side. What needs to get changed about that, exactly?

Wearing pink doesn't make you a crossdresser. In fact in the past pink was a masculine colour and Foleos oufit has a lot of similarities to real historical costumes worn by male nobles. I doubt it's intentional, but its amusingly fitting.

Xseed didn't censor Marian; they kept him male while also maintaining his dialogue that mention his boyfriend.

Regarding Foleo, I doubt they'd change his gender, given how much work it would be to change the game to reflect his new gender, as many other people in this thread have said.

That's what I meant to say. I shouldn't be allowed to type anything when I can only see out of my bad eye. How Zero and Saizou cope with one eye I'll never understand.