• The Blazing Sword
    • The Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of light and shadow~
    • Awakening
    • If/Fates

Fire Emblem currently has 15 games in the series (including the satellaview prequel one). Of course they all have names...some better than others. Lets not judge the games by their stories or anything else, lets base it solely on their titles. Heres a list of all the Fire Emblem games to date, even the ones that weren't released outside of Japan:

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light

Fire Emblem: Gaiden

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

Fire Emblem: Akaneia Saga

Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

Fire Emblem: Binding Blade

Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword (or just Fire Emblem in the west)

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of light and shadow~

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Fire Emblem: If (known as Fire Emblem:Fates in the west)

Theres a list of all the Fire Emblem games! Phew! Now to the main part of this thread! Basically do as the title of the thread says, state your opinion on the worst and best named Fire Emblem game! Oh yeah, and state why you think its the worst name, even if its just "because its bad" xD. Heres mine:

Worst named game: Fire Emblem: Thracia 776

Explanation: I dunno why but that name just doesn't roll of the tounge..like..at all xD. Like c'mon Nintendo 'Thracia 776' for a game title...was Nintendo high when they named that or something xD. They couldn't think of anything better than the name of the country in the game and the year...

Best named game: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

Explanation: I think this name is, first of all, a very pretty name. Just say it "Radiant Dawn", once again I have no explanation for my weirdness xD. Radiant Dawn is just my favorite name for a Fire Emblem game I guess..lol.

Runner ups (for best):

Awakening: Because Awakening actually fits the story of the game! Not gonna spoil anything for people who haven't played it though.

Binding Blade: Its just a cool name, it sounds very epic as a title to me xD.

Runner ups (for worst):

Genealogy Of the Holy War: -.- Just really Nintendo....you couldn't think of ANYTHING else...

If/Fates: Its pretty generic of the name, the game is all about choosing your fate so FATES is a pretty generic name. As for If..its meh. Still not the best name but overall its better than Fates.

Edited by Hinokaizbae

Well Thracia 776 is the name of the country and year it is in Thracia, it doesn't take that much thought.

Also if Fates had kept IF it would have been a better title, but as of now its the worst for being the most generic.

Path of Radiance/Trail of the Blue Flame, just has the coolest sounding name imo.

For Best: Radiant Dawn

Yeah...it really does just roll of the tongue and carry this sense of...epicness to it. Radiant is an adjective which brings to mind glory, and Dawn is a word which means beginning, which makes it make things seem more important. Overall, the name does feel like something...big, while also being very simple. Genius is found in simplicity.

For Worst: New Mystery of the Emblem, Heroes of Light and Shadow

Pretty much the polar opposite of Radiant Dawn. The title it way too long and tries to do too much, which just makes it sort of a bloated title. In addition, nothing in the title really stands out or creates a sense of reverence. New Mystery sounds like it's trying too hard, and Heroes of Light and Shadow feels like a tired idea for a title. So, basically, it does a lot without accomplishing much, while Radiant Dawn does little but accomplishes a fair bit.

This was an oddly...existent look into the titles of a video game series.

For worst, If/Fates is pretty generic, honestly, and I think Geneology has a pretty bad title, again because it's too much without anything actually feeling important. I do actually like Thracia's title, just a little, because it's...unique, a place and a year, which you don't see a lot in this setting but work well, in my opinion. If it was a recurring convention it would probably wear thin though.

Runner up for best if Path of Radiance, and the Japanese name is fine too, but I do prefer the simpler American one. Binding Blade is also neat, I think for the alteration.

Whoa, this isn't going to be a controversial topic or anything!

Sacred Stones was my least favorite and either Binding Blade or Radiant Dawn are my favorites. More realistically, it would be the latter.

Best name: Genealogy

Doesn't need a standout reason to be good to me.

Worst name: Fates

If was better

Runner up best: Thracia 776

It's to the point.

Runner up worst: Sacred Stones

Such a silly name to me.

Also:

Lets not judge the games by their stories or anything else, lets base it solely on their titles

Awakening: Because Awakening actually fits the story of the game!

....Was this intentional?

Edited by Soledai

Best name: Genealogy

Doesn't need a standout reason to be good to me.

Worst name: Fates

If was better

Runner up best: Thracia 776

It's to the point.

Runner up worst: Sacred Stones

Such a silly name to me.

Also:

....Was this intentional?

About the quote from my post, I basically mean do not judge your opinion on the story of the games, like oh this one has the best story, its ok to relate your response to the story but dont base your opinion solely upon what game had the best story if you know what I mean...

Well Thracia 776 is the name of the country and year it is in Thracia, it doesn't take that much thought.

Also if Fates had kept IF it would have been a better title, but as of now its the worst for being the most generic.

Path of Radiance/Trail of the Blue Flame, just has the coolest sounding name imo.

I know about the Thracia 776 thing but still, I just think its eww xD. Wait did I really put that it takes a lot of thought to get that in my post..oh god..just shows you what 11:00 at night does to me lol. Welp time to edit that post...

New Mystery of the Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow would have to be the worst. Too long and both parts are pretty meh anyway.

Awakening has multiple meanings with relation to its story so that's my choice.

best: FE4. The name just makes sense and I just am biased.

worst: FE7: durandal is of such little importance to the plot having it be the title is just silly. At least Roy had a reason for getting the sword of seals. Athos was just like, lol sidequest.

Worst: New Mystery of The Emblem. I wonder how the localization team would have named it...

Best: It's between Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance for me. But I ended up picking the latter.

Best: Genealogy of the Holy War. It's simple and to the point and teels you exactly what the game's theme is. It also has a sort of historic feel to it, like you would find it in a textbook, which is kinda how the game's story felt.

Worst FE1: I have no idea why IS decided to add a subtitle to the first game.

After the first 10 replies to the topic, these are the titles in the lead in the poll:

In the lead for worst title: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of light and darkness~

In the lead for best title: Radiant Dawn

Please continue to reply to this topic, I will give another update like this when we hit 20 responses! Make sure when you vote to also reply to the topic please! Thanks for all your votes and replies!

I'm only using the English-translated titles, since judging a name that was directly translated from Japanese is kind of unfair. Sword of Seals sounds stupid, but Fu-whatever no Tsurugi may sound cool to one who was raised with the Japanese language. Binding Blade effectively gets the same point across as Sword of Seals, a sword that seals, and doesn't sound as completely stupid to a Western audience. This is also why I can't say If, undoubtedly the stupidest sounding title to English-speakers, because the Japanese probably find the word interesting.

I chose Sacred Stones as worst, since it sounds so generic, but special mention should go to the English version of Blazing Sword, since it's so confusing to talk about it, especially to people unaware of its Japanese title, you always have to distinguish it in conversation. Radiant Dawn rolls off the tongue and sounds cool. Radiance implies brightness and power and dawn implies the arrival of something. It's vague enough, but it still stays true to the game's plot as the arrival of the goddesses and bookends the preceding game.

Edited by Knight

Best: Genealogy of the Holy War. You have to admit that it sounds cool. It also reflects both story and gameplay, which is cool.

Worst: Blazing Sword. Not only is it predictable for a medieval game, but FE7 is barely about Durandal. It doesn't make sense.

Worst: New Mystery. Too much of a mouthful

Best: Path of Radiance. Elegant, fits with the game's (and duology's) themes perfectly, just great all around.

Ironically If/Fates is my runner up for both best and worst. If... is a cool title and a good reference to the movie of the same name (as well as the SMT game). Fates is just generic.

Best: Path of Radiance, because this describes perfectly the way of a simple and ordinary boy to a great lord. Unfortunately nothing much positive happend to him after that...

Worst: Awakening, because it should be the big rebirth of FE. It was for this series based on the sales, but not on the gameplay.

Finally, a general FE series thread I can have an opinion on!

. . . come on guys, I can't be the only one who thinks "BS Fire Emblem" is the worst possible title of all time, can I?

FE4 is a very exaggerated example of Fire Emblem in general. The series has many ups and many downs, and that game even more so. That being said, I would argue that much of its appeal lies in the fact that when you load up a game titled freaking "Genealogy of the Holy War", you know you're going to be in for something epic.

Best- Path of Radiance (I just like it)

Runner ups-Binding Blade and Awakening (They're pretty good and match with their stoires)

Blazing Sword and Radiant Dawn (Also titles that sound good and are nice an simple)

Worst- New Mystery of the Emblem: Blah Blah Blah (It's just too long and generic)

Runner up-Tharcia 776 (Also pretty generic and is simply more foreign/harder to pronounce than the others, which is off-putting)

I thought about including Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light for the same reasons as the worst one, but this one feels more like a product of its era than a bad title. I just find it more acceptable and even slightly charming because it fits with its time.

It looks like I am just simple minded :>_<:

Edited by Kyea

Best: Radiant Dawn, this sums it up pretty well:

For Best: Radiant Dawn

Yeah...it really does just roll of the tongue and carry this sense of...epicness to it. Radiant is an adjective which brings to mind glory, and Dawn is a word which means beginning, which makes it make things seem more important. Overall, the name does feel like something...big, while also being very simple. Genius is found in simplicity.

Worst: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of light and shadow~ way to long, it's like IS had two titles to choose from, didn't know what they liked better so they named it both.

Worst: Fates. Trying too hard to sound cool.

How is it "trying too hard to sound cool"? If anything, naming it "Fates" makes it sound generic and cliche, which is the opposite of cool.

How is it "trying too hard to sound cool"? If anything, naming it "Fates" makes it sound generic and cliche, which is the opposite of cool.

Yes, precisely. In other words, you agree with me. Trying to sound cool and not succeeding.

Do people really not like "Fates"?

Huh... I thought it was a pretty good name. It rolls off my tongue easily, and it's nothing too extravagant. Awakening and Radiant Dawn sound nice too, but I thought I'd vote for Fates because no one else did.

The Jihad is too strong, FE4's title just sounds really cool. I don't really like Awakening or Fates, they're trying a little too hard to sound cool.