• The Blazing Sword
    • The Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance
    • Radiant Dawn
    • Shadow Dragon
    • New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of light and shadow~
    • Awakening
    • If/Fates

Best: Radiant Dawn. Just has a ring to it, fits the game and feel of the game.

Runner up: Path of Radiance. Again fits the game and has a ring to it.

Worst: New Mystery of the Emblem. Kinda like Wii U. Doesn't really make sense and Heroes of Light and Shadow sounds a hell of alot better.

Runner up: I don't really find the rest "bad" but if I'd have to pick I guess I'd say Thracia 776 just because its kinda bland.

Worst: Gaiden. It literally just means side story. (Dis)honorable mentions go to Akaneia Saga and New Mystery of the Emblem.

Best: Genealogy of the Holy War. It's the one that stands out the most. The Tellius games are pretty much tied for 2nd.

The Good:

Genealogy of the Holy War

Radiant Dawn

Path of Radiance

Binding Blade

Mystery of the Emblem

Archanea Chronicles

Shadow Dragon

The Sacred Stones

The Bad:

Dark Dragon and blah blah blah

New Mystery of being too wordy

Gaiden

The Meh:

Thracia 776

Awakening

Fates

The good and meh are best to worst and the bad is reversed.

Edited by X-Naut

I think titles such as "Fire Emblem MacGuffin" are boring overall, but Blazing Sword takes the cake. I don't even remember Roland's blade being that important in the game.

Path of Radiance not only sounds cool to me, but has a meaning. The characters do really grow from scrubs to heroes who more than deserve the respect they get. It is figuratively their Path of Radiance.

If I had to make a tier list, from best to worst...

- Path of Radiance

- Genealogy of the Holy War

- Fates

- Awakening

- Radiant Dawn

- New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of light and shadow~

- The Sacred Stones

- Binding Blade

- Thracia 776

- Dark Dragon and Sword of Light

- Gaiden

- Shadow Dragon

- BullShit Fire Emblem

Edited by Rapier

After 30 replies to the thread, it seems as if the titles that were in the lead, are still in the lead.

In the lead for worst title: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of light and shadow~

In the lead for best title: Radiant Dawn

I will give another poll update when we hit 50 replies. Thank you all for your input!

Path of Radiance is the best since it fits so well with the game.

Fates is a horribly generic name if was a better name.

Dishonorable mention goes to New Mystery of the Emblem, Heroes of light and shadow.

Tier List for Names:

Best

Path of Radiance

Radiant Dawn

Genealogy of the Holy War

Binding Blade

Decent

Shadow Dragon

Mystery of the Emblem

The Sacred Stones

Awakening

Meh

Gaiden

Thracia 776

The Blazing Sword

Bad

Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light

New Mystery of the Emblem, Heroes of light and shadow

Worst

Fates

Worst in my opinion is "Thracia 776" because that's literally just the setting and the year, and if you don't know that then it's kind of confusing.

Path of Radiance is my favorite title. I like it because it fits well with the game (also I need to finish playing it...)

Honestly "New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~" would probably have been localized as either "Mystery of the Emblem" or "Heroes of Light and Shadow". Those are both acceptable, it's just the combined name is kind of weird.

Worst: Fire Emblem: If. I think Fates sounds a lot better, at least for the English language. If makes sense contextually, as in "What if", but the actual title of "if" is just awkward.

Best: Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War may be a bit of a mouthful, but it sounds really interesting, it's a title someone would look at and probably be interested in.

I'm definitely partial to Genealogy of the Holy War as a title. It works in its stellar, game-defining game mechanic while still sounding interesting and honestly just baller as hell. I mean... ya'll can go ahead and have your little awakening or whateva it is ya want to do... meanwhile, we'll be having our m'fin HOLY WAR up in here, and with OUR CHILDREN too, sucka! Nah, but actually Awakening's a swell title, or something...

And honestly, I really don't care for Radiant Dawn as a title. Yeah, it obviously hearkens back to Path of Radiance and all--which I do really like as a title--but Radiant Dawn itself just sounds... a bit too contrived for my taste. but that's just like, my opinion, man, and also apparently only mine alone... alas...

also I just call FE12 "New Mystery of the Emblem" so la la la didn't see that awful name...

Oh, and I think Thracia 776 makes sense as a name from a marketing standpoint--at the time around its announcement and release, it could potentially resonate very well with those that played FE4, and blah blah blah. Maybe it hasn't held up over time very well...

Do people really not like "Fates"?

Huh... I thought it was a pretty good name. It rolls off my tongue easily, and it's nothing too extravagant. Awakening and Radiant Dawn sound nice too, but I thought I'd vote for Fates because no one else did.

Fates sounds dull, If sounded like an interesting "What If" and it sounded unique.

Fates is like the translators just gave up. Which they seem to have done with most of the names they've changed so far, like they got rid of Harold's reference to an Unfortunate King, to make him sound more like King Arthur not to even mention we have an Arthur in this series already

Edited by Jedi

Love 'Path of Radiance' and 'Radiant Dawn.' Won't say hate, but I dislike the 'if' in the upcoming game. 'Fates' sounds better but even that I'm not a fan of either.

Edited by yuriyume

I don't feel strongly about titles, but I like the sound of "Genealogy of the Holy War" because it does pique my interest. It suggests a story that spans more than one generation and war stories always have potential.

The worst titles are the one word titles and the too long ones. I can't decide if "Fates" or "Awakening" is more boring. I kinda like "Gaiden", though.

Also, a plus is if the names are easy to shorten (SS, PoR, RD, etc)

Initially picked Binding Blade, but after playing PoR I picked it due to how well it captures the story (especially wrt Ike).

I never found RD or Genealogy to sound particularly epic, nor did I have any issues with FE12's name since it can be shortened to regular title length easily.

Fates for worst, for being generic much like the others said.

Edited by Gradivus.

Best: Radiant Dawn. What has already been said applies.

Worst: Blazing Sword. That is oh so imaginative. Incredibly bland and generic sounding. "Sacred Sword of Fire" even sounds better than it.

(And I feel both If and Fates don't sound good. If is already an SMT game, on top of Fates just sounding generic.)

Edited by The DanMan

Well, I said Fates for worst due to how stupid Fire Emblem if sounds to me, and Fates doesn't sound much better.

Funny story about my pick for best tho, I picked Sacred Stones for best since it's caused way too many laughs at my school lunchtable when taken out of context by a friend of mine who is kinda a prev. Said friend then proceeded to play the FE SS variant of the FE theme on his trumpet during lunch for my birthday, and he picked that version just because of his "Sacred Stones" jokes. That's why FE SS is my favorite, memories.

Yes, this actually happened

Fates sounds dull, If sounded like an interesting "What If" and it sounded unique.

Fates is like the translators just gave up. Which they seem to have done with most of the names they've changed so far, like they got rid of Harold's reference to an Unfortunate King, to make him sound more like King Arthur not to even mention we have an Arthur in this series already

Oh, it's "unique" alright. I think Fire Emblem: Or would be a better title and make more sense given the whole choice thing.

Also, we do already have an Arthur in this series. We also already have a Harold. It's not that big a deal.

I don't know Japanese nearly as well as I know English, but I'm sure that "Seisen no Keifu" isn't nearly as much of a mouthful as "Genealogy of the Holy War."

Anyway: My votes...

Best: Path of Radiance

Worst: FE7 does not have an official subtitle in English, and I don't particularly care for "Rekka no Ken." (Sure, "The Blazing Blade" has catchy alliteration, but few enough people refer to the game itself as such.)

Edited by Paper Jam

Worst I'd say is either Thracia 776 or Sacred Stones. Voted for FE8 because the Fire Emblem is a Sacred Stone so in context a little redundant. Thracia 776 is a title that only makes sense to those who know the story.

For best I chose Genealogy of the Holy War because it's exactly what it is. Fits it perfectly without just being the name of some artifact in the game like Blazing Sword or Sword of Seals/Binding Blade. Mystery of the Emblem is also good because it describes the story somewhat and with the word Emblem in Fire Emblem doesn't really need context.

Also, we do already have an Arthur in this series. We also already have a Harold. It's not that big a deal.

Oh right there was that random enemy general in FE4 named Harold.

I still think it was a dumb name change considering the whole Harold the Unfortunate angle they were going for though.

• 4 weeks later...

Best: Geneology of the Holy War. A very epic name and I feel it perfectly represents the game's plot.

Honourable Mention: Path of Radiance. It just sounds really cool.

Worst: New Mystery of the Emblem ~ Heroes of Light and Shadow. It takes really long to type up. I think it would be better off if it was just called New Mystery of the Emblem or just called Heroes of Light and Shadow.

Dishonourable Mention: Thracia 776. I always get the numbers mixed up and it's a confusing title.