Lunatic tips

So I think there have probably been a lot of these already but I can't find one so I'll just start a new thread.

So I started my first lunatic playthrough and after watching some guides and stuff I completed chapter 4 and now have access to DLC, could anybody recommend which units to use and which not to use and also any tips or tricks that will make the rest of the game any easier for me? Thanks.

Edited by EarthboundAddict

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In short:

- Keep your team small

- Know who you want to use ahead of time and focus on them ASAP

- Visit the Lunatic Club thread for anything else.

Your Avatar should either have reclassed around 19-20 prior to Par.1, or be about 16-17 with another unit near 10, assuming you're not grinding and did Par.1 first.

No, grinding is ok (how else would I do this).

So I should promote my avatar? Wouldn't Chrom be better?

So I should promote my avatar? Wouldn't Chrom be better?

In short: No. The Avatar has Veteran, which increases the value of any experience put into him/her. That's why it's even possible to get the avatar to those levels in that timeframe. It's also why the best pairing on lunatic+ is Avatar x Chrom, because it nets you a total of three units with veteran (and possibly galeforce) before you even start on chapter 14.

As for grinding, DLC. For getting a unit going, EXPonential Growth is the best, while for maxing out a unit, Lost Bloodlines 3 is the best. Lost Bloodlines 3 also coincidentally gets you the paragon skill, which doubles exp gained.

Edited by Alastor15243

In short: No. The Avatar has Veteran, which increases the value of any experience put into him/her. That's why it's even possible to get the avatar to those levels in that timeframe. It's also why the best pairing on lunatic+ is Avatar x Chrom, because it nets you a total of three units with veteran (and possibly galeforce) before you even start on chapter 14.

As for grinding, DLC. For getting a unit going, EXPonential Growth is the best, while for maxing out a unit, Lost Bloodlines 3 is the best. Lost Bloodlines 3 also coincidentally gets you the paragon skill, which doubles exp gained.

Ah, but my avatar is male though (besides I already married panne). So should I pass on veteran to Yarne and Morgan? what should panne pass down since she can't pass galeforce (morgan has every female allowed class in the game though so galeforce shouldn't be a problem)

Also what happens when you have both veteran and paragon? Do you get like triple the EXP because that would make grinding much easier.

Edited by EarthboundAddict

Ah, but my avatar is male though (besides I already married panne). So should I pass on veteran to Yarne and Morgan? what should panne pass down since she can't pass galeforce (morgan has every female allowed class in the game though so galeforce shouldn't be a problem)

Also what happens when you have both veteran and paragon? Do you get like triple the EXP because that would make grinding much easier.

Triple exp, yes. And since the minimum exp you can get from a kill is 8, that means that no matter how overleveled you get, you'll always be leveling up roughly every 4 kills.

For normal Lunatic mode, Panne's a fine mate, you should be okay, though it would be nicer to have more characters with galeforce access. I like to use all the stat boosting items you get from renown on Sumia and train her up to dark flier 15 by the end of chapter 13, because it makes training Lucina so much easier. But then, Cynthia's hard to access in time to truly be useful, but she still will have a niche assaulting riders with horseslayers for quick galeforce kills.

Anyway, since Taguel's a pretty crap class, I wouldn't bother passing down veteran to Morgan and just reclass her to tactician immediately. If you have a remotely useful male exclusive skill or really just any promoted useful skill, I'd pass down that instead. I'm not sure if the same goes for Yarne, you might want to pass down veteran to him, since he might want to go into a different class besides tactician since I'm not sure if he's even CAPABLE of having remotely good magic growths.

Edited by Alastor15243

Triple exp, yes. And since the minimum exp you can get from a kill is 8, that means that no matter how overleveled you get, you'll always be leveling up roughly every 4 kills.

For normal Lunatic mode, Panne's a fine mate, you should be okay, though it would be nicer to have more characters with galeforce access. I like to use all the stat boosting items you get from renown on Sumia and train her up to dark flier 15 by the end of chapter 13, because it makes training Lucina so much easier. But then, Cynthia's hard to access in time to truly be useful, but she still will have a niche assaulting riders with horseslayers for quick galeforce kills.

Anyway, since Taguel's a pretty crap class, I wouldn't bother passing down veteran to Morgan and just reclass her to tactician immediately. If you have a remotely useful male exclusive skill or really just any promoted useful skill, I'd pass down that instead. I'm not sure if the same goes for Yarne, you might want to pass down veteran to him, since he might want to go into a different class besides tactician since I'm not sure if he's even CAPABLE of having remotely good magic growths.

Meh I'll just get paragon for the two of them, what I plan to do is to level taguel yarne and Morgan up to level 30 and than reclass them to a base class due to the higher EXP gains. I might have Morgan grab veteran real quick but yarne I don't know. Also I'm thinking of passing down one of pannes breaker skills which one should I pass down?

Meh I'll just get paragon for the two of them, what I plan to do is to level taguel yarne and Morgan up to level 30 and than reclass them to a base class due to the higher EXP gains. I might have Morgan grab veteran real quick but yarne I don't know. Also I'm thinking of passing down one of pannes breaker skills which one should I pass down?

I've literally never used breaker skills, so I couldn't tell you. Plus, as I said, taguel's a crap class, in fact it is, for any play mode or challenge run of a playmode, in-game or post game, the single worst promoted class in the entire game, unless you count Villager as promoted. So I seriously would advise against going 30 levels in that thing. I have before, but that wasn't my best decision, and Yarne wound up SO much better when I reclassed him to berserker afterwards.

Edited by Alastor15243

So I started my first lunatic playthrough and after watching some guides and stuff I completed chapter 4

I hope those guides aren't the reason for the second statement. If grinding on Lunatic is your thing, that's cool, but please don't do it just because some ancient guide said it's the only way.

Anyway, it'll still be worth your time focusing on a small handful of characters since one overleveled tank will do more for you than a bunch of on-par minions. Focus all your Seals on Avatar until you can buy more, and if you get stuck, keep grinding. That's about all I can say since "grind more" is both more effective and simpler than any other strategy, once it's on the table.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I hope those guides aren't the reason for the second statement. If grinding on Lunatic is your thing, that's cool, but please don't do it just because some ancient guide said it's the only way.

Anyway, it'll still be worth your time focusing on a small handful of characters since one overleveled tank will do more for you than a bunch of on-par minions. Focus all your Seals on Avatar until you can buy more, and if you get stuck, keep grinding. That's about all I can say since "grind more" is both more effective and simpler than any other strategy, once it's on the table.

I've literally never used breaker skills, so I couldn't tell you. Plus, as I said, taguel's a crap class, in fact it is, for any play mode or challenge run of a playmode, in-game or post game, the single worst promoted class in the entire game, unless you count Villager as promoted. So I seriously would advise against going 30 levels in that thing. I have before, but that wasn't my best decision, and Yarne wound up SO much better when I reclassed him to berserker afterwards.

Nah I'm grinding on my own free will, the guides DID mention grinding but I was going to do it anyway.

So I should just immediately reclass Yarne and Morgan, I suppose that makes sense since beastbane is practically useless outside the taguel class. Also if not a breaker skill what should panne pass down.

Nah I'm grinding on my own free will, the guides DID mention grinding but I was going to do it anyway.

So I should just immediately reclass Yarne and Morgan, I suppose that makes sense since beastbane is practically useless outside the taguel class. Also if not a breaker skill what should panne pass down.

Locktouch is always nice to have on a powerful unit, especially for chapter 21 if you haven't hoarded chest keys for the entire game in preparation. If you can get away with reclassing Panne to thief, that's a good option. Deliverer's also kickass if you can get that though.

Locktouch is always nice to have on a powerful unit, especially for chapter 21 if you haven't hoarded chest keys for the entire game in preparation. If you can get away with reclassing Panne to thief, that's a good option. Deliverer's also kickass if you can get that though.

Deliverer combined with move +1, a flying or horseback class, boots and galeforce would make Morgan a beast. Deliverer it is.

What should my avatar pass down, should it be a male exclusive skill.

Most of the male exclusive skills aren't very good, so you're not missing much if you decide against passing one down.

Deliverer combined with move +1, a flying or horseback class, boots and galeforce would make Morgan a beast. Deliverer it is.

Axefaire's generally the only male-exclusive skill that's worthwhile, aside from aggressor. If you're going for move+1, you're obviously gonna go for the thief class, which you should probably do immediately, so I'd just pass down veteran so that she can get thief over with.

If you have access to a Second Seal shop, go ahead and always reclass your units as soon as possible. You'll cap all your stats way before you get the skills you want so there's no point hanging around in old classes just for stats.

For male-exclusive skills, none of them are that great but I find Despoil to be fun to use. It's largely useless if you have Golden Gaffe, but still highly entertaining.

Most of the male exclusive skills aren't very good, so you're not missing much if you decide against passing one down.

Axefaire's generally the only male-exclusive skill that's worthwhile, aside from aggressor. If you're going for move+1, you're obviously gonna go for the thief class, which you should probably do immediately, so I'd just pass down veteran so that she can get thief over with.

If you have access to a Second Seal shop, go ahead and always reclass your units as soon as possible. You'll cap all your stats way before you get the skills you want so there's no point hanging around in old classes just for stats.

For male-exclusive skills, none of them are that great but I find Despoil to be fun to use. It's largely useless if you have Golden Gaffe, but still highly entertaining.

Really? Cause counter seems alright. But I think I'll just go with veteran. Veteran and polygon would give them big EXP very quickly.

Really? Cause counter seems alright. But I think I'll just go with veteran. Veteran and polygon would give them big EXP very quickly.

Counter's largely useless because the more damage it does, the fewer enemies you can inflict it upon before your unit dies. It would possibly be useful for Apotheosis (arguably more useful than vengeance) except that all apotheosis enemies are immune to it.

In nogrind Lunatic, you'll reach a point around Cht.8-9 where enemies do 0 damage to your Avatar with 0 listed Hit. That's without grinding. And that's how useful Counter is.

It would be neat if you could have it for the very first few chapters of the game (when you're fielding a lot of units who will be taking a lot of damage and doing very little back), but once you're stronger than the enemies it doesn't do anything because they'll a) die before they can attack, or b) miss/do no damage. And since you have to be high leveled to have the HP to do meaningful damage with it anyway...

In nogrind Lunatic, you'll reach a point around Cht.8-9 where enemies do 0 damage to your Avatar with 0 listed Hit. That's without grinding. And that's how useful Counter is.

It would be neat if you could have it for the very first few chapters of the game (when you're fielding a lot of units who will be taking a lot of damage and doing very little back), but once you're stronger than the enemies it doesn't do anything because they'll a) die before they can attack, or b) miss/do no damage. And since you have to be high leveled to have the HP to do meaningful damage with it anyway...

I suppose counter isn't as useful as I thought. Veteran it is than, at least for the first couple battles, I'll swap it out for something more useful.

Also what should I reclass my Panne!Morgan and Avatar!Yarne to. My avatars asset is defence and his flaw is luck by the way. What skills shoul I give them, I'll be swapping out veteran once there good enough.

There really isn't a point when Veteran will stop helping. Keep it on all the time for DLC/grinding and take it off for chapters (only if you have five good skills and need room, though).

I recommend Cav because, as I said in your other topic, Taguels have huge weapon rank issues and Discipline can help you remedy that faster. From there, if you want to promote, Paladin is the stronger option, otherwise you can do another base class like Mercenary (Hero promotion).

Since you're grinding, though, what class you go to first won't matter very much in the long run- you should think more about what class you want to end as once you've got your stats and skills.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

There really isn't a point when Veteran will stop helping. Keep it on all the time for DLC/grinding and take it off for chapters (only if you have five good skills and need room, though).

I recommend Cav because, as I said in your other topic, Taguels have huge weapon rank issues and Discipline can help you remedy that faster. From there, if you want to promote, Paladin is the stronger option, otherwise you can do another base class like Mercenary (Hero promotion).

Since you're grinding, though, what class you go to first won't matter very much in the long run- you should think more about what class you want to end as once you've got your stats and skills.

Eh, Paladin's a good finishing class, but one immediate second seal is a bit too soon to start thinking about ending classes. I'd recommend Great Knight because then you can get luna before the horrible caps bite you in the ass, and you can get some good strength and defense. Then shift into something else. If you go into Grandmaster you can get Ignis for excellent killing power between two procs.