Nintendo President Satoru Iwata Passed Away

kingddd

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? But people told me Sakurai was the one behind Kirby?

Sakurai was the main creator and director but Iwata was the producer that wanted to push it forward for release. They are both credited as the founder of the franchise.

He actually looks like he lost a little weight there... :(

I just can't believe I didn't know he was ill. I do remember him being ill once, but I think that was last year or something...

Yeah, last year he missed E3 because of a surgery for his bile duct cancer. He seemed fine a bit afterwards, he even said it in via his twitter ( and during a direct, which is when I found out)...but I guess things changed when we weren't looking... :'(

Edited by Busterman64

Sakurai was the main creator and director but Iwata was the producer that wanted to push it forward for release. They are both credited as the founder of the franchise.

Ohhh, I see... Interesting.

Yeah, last year he missed E3 because of a surgery for his bile duct cancer. He seemed fine a bit afterwards, he even said it in via his twitter ( and during a direct, which is when I found out)...but I guess things changed when we weren't looking... :'(

So it WAS cancer... Figures. Cancer just can't be cured anymore, can it? My grandmother died of cancer that came back after being removed/chemotherapied too.

a252ccee4c44858daa3ac837d3cf22f9.png

I think this is an awesome idea and I hope people do it.

The race to purchase Mario Kart 8 is going ever faster for me.

Shame I'll never be able to do it in time. :/

Yeah, I have no Wii U or MK 8 so I can't either...Maybe I'll make a video in memory of him on Youtube. I can at least do that.

Is it too much to ask the next president of Nintendo to continue doing Iwata Asks, though? Like, the way Iwata had connected the development teams with the fans is easily one of the cooler things that has happened in gaming in recent past, and gives more insight than I could ever dream of what happens behind the scenes.

This... is incredibly sad news to hear. And I feel so ashamed that I had no idea just how much of an impact this man has had on my life until reading the statement from Nintendo (plus other information I've read since). I only hope that I - and the many friends I have who grew up with Nintendo - will become part of a legacy you can be proud of.

Satoru Iwata, rest in peace. May all of Heaven welcome you with open arms.

Is it too much to ask the next president of Nintendo to continue doing Iwata Asks, though? Like, the way Iwata had connected the development teams with the fans is easily one of the cooler things that has happened in gaming in recent past, and gives more insight than I could ever dream of what happens behind the scenes.

I don't envy the person who takes over Iwata in this aspect. From those interviews, it'd been clear that he'd been in the industry for a long time and was passionate about games (also it didn't hurt that he had a lot of camaraderie with the people in said interviews, presumably from working with them for so long).

Edited by Refa

This may be a Fire Emblem fourm, but...

"No crying until the end."

So many great people have died in these last two years...

One of the most heart breaking parts about his death is that Iwata died when his fans were angry at him for this year's E3, and he promised that he would make their presentation better for next year.

All of my condolences to Nintendo and Iwata's family.

Edited by Solid Snakespeare

This came out of nowhere...I am truly sad. I've played NIntendo games very since I was like 4 or 5. They've been a part of my entire life thus far. Iwata has done so much for the fans. May he rest in peace.

So many great people have died in these last two years...

One of the most heart breaking parts about his death is that Iwata died when his fans were angry at him for this year's E3, and he promised that he would make their presentation better for next year.

All of my condolences to Nintendo and Iwata's family.

Wahhhhhh screw you, reaper! He was recovering so well, couldn't he AT LEAST have gotten to do next year's presentation!

Man. I found out while posting a doofy screen in Miiverse. I was wondering why the children were all posting about Iwata.

Guh.

Satoru Iwata, may the gates of Valhalla welcome you, shiny and chrome. You made so many people happy.

If nothing else, he finally has the time to work on the latest programming project he has been wanting to do: Banana Tengoku.

May he rest in peace, and may the spirit of joy he brought persist for ages to come.