Guard Stance Bonuses

Thane Tali

I'd like to know what sort of stat bonuses guard stance confers to lead units.

Is it as extreme as FE13? If not, can it get as extreme as Awakening's pair up bonuses? I probably won't use them much if you get something like +5's to important stats along with a +1 mov or something, Awakening's Pair Up system always made me feel skeevy. [i found the game a lot more fun without using it.]

Love the Attack Stance mechanics though. I'm probably looking to utilize a player-phase oriented strategy, so I really love the extra damage capabilities this unlocks.

It depends on class, whether they're promoted units, and support rank. For promoted support units, at low/no supports, it seems to usually give around +1-3s, but at higher, +5 is pretty common. They block dual attacks too if the opponent is in Attack Stance. Also, there's the guard gauge now, which fills when you attack/get attacked, and when it's maxed, the support unit will dual guard one attack.

I definitely use Attack Stance waaaaaaay more than Guard Stance. Usually only use it if something goes terribly wrong and someone's gonna die without it.

The stat bonuses definitely are not overkill in Fates. Here are some images, one of a late game pair-up between two S-support units, one of a late game pair-up between two no-support units, and one of an early game pair up between two units who have no support levels yet.

What is clear is this: a pair up either increases one stat tremendously or increases several stats by small amounts. Support levels only increase those bonuses by about +1 each level or less. Many classes, including the Ninja, Outlaw, and seemingly all Dragon- and Pegasus-type units. Bonuses are primarily dependent on class, not stats

Unlike Awakening, it isn't really viable to keep units always paired up because the damage bonus from attack stance is much greater than the STR or MAG boost from guard stance, and you no longer receive massive avoid bonuses anymore. Guard stance is there to let your units safely draw in multiple enemies or man chokepoints, mainly.

Just for comparison... Fredrick's pair-up at C is arguably better than all of these.

EDIT: Almost forgot this game is in Japanese. The stats, in order, are like Awakening's order: STR, MAG, SKL, SPD, LCK, DEF, RES, MOV.

post-16773-0-91405800-1436792520_thumb.jpg

post-16773-0-95586900-1436792880_thumb.jpg

post-16773-0-95373400-1436793043_thumb.jpg

Edited by gayserbeam

In Awakening, you get starting bonuses totaling +6 for an unpromoted class and +8 for a promoted class, with a point of Move counting as two stat points. Then there are heaps of other bonuses from supports and stats that make the total go way higher, especially as you progress into the game.

Fates has the same class bases, but then the bonuses beyond that are basically nonexistent. Where Awakening would give you multiple additional points per support level and then up to +3 in everything just from the supporting unit's stats, Fates seems to just give like one total stat point per support level and nothing from the supporting unit's stats. Stats are lower in Fates but the bonuses are still nothing in comparison.

Guard Stance is 100% fair and primarily for defense or mobility; it now typically cuts down on your team's overall offensive abilities rather than increasing them. It's an important tactic but a balanced one.

Thank you! Just the answers I've been looking for. I am watching an [excruciatingly painful to watch] LP of Fates and I noticed the dude likes to Guard Stance up his entire army, thus reducing his unit count and murdering his army's offensive capabilities. I wondered if the bonuses he got were just meh because it was earlygame and he doesn't keep an eye to putting supporting units together all the time, but it sounds like this time they realized they need to scale the bonuses down. Guard stance to man chokepoints so as not to be overwhelmed sounds about right, esp. since the 1-2 weaponry tend to give a +5 to enemy's doubling ability. You probably don't want to be attack stanced into oblivion and need a +Spd pair-up.

Also, nice Incredibles reference, gayserbeam. I just saw that movie again today!

Thank you! Just the answers I've been looking for. I am watching an [excruciatingly painful to watch] LP of Fates and I noticed the dude likes to Guard Stance up his entire army, thus reducing his unit count and murdering his army's offensive capabilities. I wondered if the bonuses he got were just meh because it was earlygame and he doesn't keep an eye to putting supporting units together all the time, but it sounds like this time they realized they need to scale the bonuses down. Guard stance to man chokepoints so as not to be overwhelmed sounds about right, esp. since the 1-2 weaponry tend to give a +5 to enemy's doubling ability. You probably don't want to be attack stanced into oblivion and need a +Spd pair-up.

Also, nice Incredibles reference, gayserbeam. I just saw that movie again today!

Who is it?

Also, I'm personally glad pair up got noifed.

iSneakSometimes. Not a fan. At one point he put his Orochi next to a weakened Cav, thus avoiding an Attack Stance [Kaze had weakened the Cav at Melee range], and thereby failing to OHKO the Cav by exactly the amount of damage Kaze would have done, and eating half his health in damage from an unnecessary counterattack. The next turn the second Cav that was literally five spaces away nearly killed Orochi. Sighhhhhhhhh. Damn near quit right there.

Edited by Thane Tali