Universal GBA FE Randomizer v1.0

lushen124

52 minutes ago, SharpEyLogic said:

I'm doing a Sacred Stones randomized run and I'm on Chapter 12: Village of Silence on Eirika's route. For some reason, whenever I get close to the gate at the end and finish the player phase, the enemy phase starts and automatically restarts the game. I tried restarting the emulator, but it doesn't fix the problem. Anybody know what's wrong?

This is mentioned in some of the earlier pages I believe if you want to dig for specifics, but what I remember is that it's due to the spiders in the upper middle left near the house where you recruit Ewan that cause this. I think it's because some enemy got misplaced and so one of the spider's scripted move can't be completed and thus crashes the game.

From what I remember on how I got through this, is you can either make a beeline for the spiders using a strong flying unit if you have one that can kill them quickly enough (you could use an unlimited move/turn AR code and then turn it off once completed), or try saving at different points to where you still get the randomized units, and then use that save in a vanilla rom to complete most of the level, then use that save back in the randomized rom to complete the level. Something along those lines.

For this specific reason a lot of people just go Ephraim's route when using the randomizer.

Hopefully this helps!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone else have problems trying to use Feditor after randomizing a rom? I'm trying to insert some portraits and mugs into a randomized run, but it keeps giving me an error saying"There was an error processing one or more file streams" and I can't figure out how to fix it.

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt this is still being worked on, but if it's fine with you I'd like to suggest maybe making monsters a seperate box for FE8? One of my biggest issues is that my teams get flooded with the monster classes :/ But I still want dancers, soldiers, manaketes and trainees in the pool.

For what it is now though, I really like this. Good work! Im sure it took a long time to make, so good on you! :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Um, so in my FE7 ROM, when randomized, when I get to Chapter 21 (the chapter where Ninian joins your party), it generates this awful sound when Ninian tries to applies Ninis's Grace on Eliwood(before the battle) and freezes the game entirely. I'm assuming this is because Ninian's class is not a Dancer (atm she's a Pirate). Does anyone know how I could fix this?

7 hours ago, AxelTheMage said:

Um, so in my FE7 ROM, when randomized, when I get to Chapter 21 (the chapter where Ninian joins your party), it generates this awful sound when Ninian tries to applies Ninis's Grace on Eliwood(before the battle) and freezes the game entirely. I'm assuming this is because Ninian's class is not a Dancer (atm she's a Pirate). Does anyone know how I could fix this?

Press the Start button immediately when you start up the chapter. That will skip the cutscene entirely.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just did a test run of the randomizer and it definitely seems like something I will enjoy. However, I realized that it edits the rom directly only after my first randomization. This would be better IMO if it either created a new Rom while randomizing (this is the way pokemon randomizer works and i assumed it was true here as well) or if it at least warned you that it was making it's edits directly to the file so people don't have to redownload if they, like me, assumed it worked similarly to the Pokemon Randomizer.

If someone else has mentioned this already sorry for the repeat info.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not sure if this is completely dead, but was wondering if someone could help me with fe8. The randomizer glitches fe8 on eirika's route making it uncompletable in chapter 12. I think it is due to the baels but I'm not sure. I cannot get past this level no matter what I do. I've tried sniping the baels rng manipulation etc. You cannot perform the enemy control glitch because there are no actor tiles in the level.  The bael causes the game to either reset or just freeze on the enemy turn. Any help would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, TheElvenArrow said:

Not sure if this is completely dead, but was wondering if someone could help me with fe8. The randomizer glitches fe8 on eirika's route making it uncompletable in chapter 12. I think it is due to the baels but I'm not sure. I cannot get past this level no matter what I do. I've tried sniping the baels rng manipulation etc. You cannot perform the enemy control glitch because there are no actor tiles in the level.  The bael causes the game to either reset or just freeze on the enemy turn. Any help would be appreciated.

It's been a while but yes you're correct it's caused by the bael above the houses. If I recall correctly, you can either kill it fast enough if you make a beeline with a flying unit, or you can save anytime after getting Saleh and the glitch happening, use that save in a vanilla FE8 rom to kill the bael, then go back to using that same save in the randomized rom before finishing the chapter. Just make sure to recruit Ewan when you're not using the save in a vanilla FE8 rom if you want him randomized. I'm honestly not quite sure that's how his randomization works, but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Hopefully that helps you. It's been a long time since I've circumvented this glitch so I may have gotten some of the details wrong but it's something like that. Let me know if it works.

Edit: I just realized I already answered this earlier in this page, but oh well.

Edited by Cryse

1 hour ago, Cryse said:

It's been a while but yes you're correct it's caused by the bael above the houses. If I recall correctly, you can either kill it fast enough if you make a beeline with a flying unit, or you can save anytime after getting Saleh and the glitch happening, use that save in a vanilla FE8 rom to kill the bael, then go back to using that same save in the randomized rom before finishing the chapter. Just make sure to recruit Ewan when you're not using the save in a vanilla FE8 rom if you want him randomized. I'm honestly not quite sure that's how his randomization works, but it doesn't hurt to be careful.

Hopefully that helps you. It's been a long time since I've circumvented this glitch so I may have gotten some of the details wrong but it's something like that. Let me know if it works.

Edit: I just realized I already answered this earlier in this page, but oh well.

I have tried sniping most to all of the elder baels, specifically I killed the one in the mountains above the houses and the next turn it reset for no reason even after the bael was dead. I also snipes the one above that bael to make sure it wasn't that one. When you say run it through vanilla fe8 I'm confused because I don't think you can undo what the randomizer does to the file?

29 minutes ago, TheElvenArrow said:

I have tried sniping most to all of the elder baels, specifically I killed the one in the mountains above the houses and the next turn it reset for no reason even after the bael was dead. I also snipes the one above that bael to make sure it wasn't that one. When you say run it through vanilla fe8 I'm confused because I don't think you can undo what the randomizer does to the file?

What method of playing are you using? If you're using an emulator that creates .sav files for example, it's pretty simple.

1. Save after getting Saleh. Exit the emulator.

2. Backup your .sav file just in case by creating a copy and naming it something else. Depending on the emulator, this file may be in the same folder as the rom, or in a separate folder like one called BATTERY.

3. Rename your randomizer .sav file to match the filename of a vanilla FE8 rom. For example, let's say your randomized rom is called "FE8 Randomized.GBA" and your vanilla rom is called "FE8.GBA", you'd rename the file named "FE8 Randomized.sav" to "FE8.sav".

4. Boot the vanilla rom, and it will load the randomized save. Defeat all enemies except for one or two without recruiting Ewan. Save.

5. Rename the "FE8.sav" back to "FE8 Randomized.sav"

6. Boot the randomized rom, recruit Ewan and defeat the last few enemies. Chapter done.

4 hours ago, Cryse said:

What method of playing are you using? If you're using an emulator that creates .sav files for example, it's pretty simple.

1. Save after getting Saleh. Exit the emulator.

2. Backup your .sav file just in case by creating a copy and naming it something else. Depending on the emulator, this file may be in the same folder as the rom, or in a separate folder like one called BATTERY.

3. Rename your randomizer .sav file to match the filename of a vanilla FE8 rom. For example, let's say your randomized rom is called "FE8 Randomized.GBA" and your vanilla rom is called "FE8.GBA", you'd rename the file named "FE8 Randomized.sav" to "FE8.sav".

4. Boot the vanilla rom, and it will load the randomized save. Defeat all enemies except for one or two without recruiting Ewan. Save.

5. Rename the "FE8.sav" back to "FE8 Randomized.sav"

6. Boot the randomized rom, recruit Ewan and defeat the last few enemies. Chapter done.

I did everything you asked from steps 1 to 3, but when I load the rom the .sav file does not show up. The emulator I'm using doesn't look like it let's you pull your own .sav files and only let's you pull if you have saved before on that rom. I'm using My Boy! Any suggestions?

Edit: I've managed to get it figured out, seems like you have to kill the bael before the end of turn 6, even if you kill him on counterattack after 6 it will reset. Thanks for the help my dude hope my input will help some others.

Edited by TheElvenArrow

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve gotten to ch6 and its been very interesting to see the random classes that get rolled for every new unit. Quick question about monster classes though. Are they essentially locked into thier original equiped weapon? My first lord is a mauthe doog with a firey fang and I want to eventually get the hell fang weapon for them but I’m guessing you can’t change it huh?

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I used this for fe7, ran through Lyn mode, saved and started up hhm on another save slot. However, Hector rolled into a pirate, with a devil axe and hand axe, both with sword reaver properties, so his first level is literally impossible (he also has shitty stats). I'm trying to use nightmare editor to change his inventory so I can actually progress, but none of the changes I make seem to be showing up. Could anyone give me advice on why this might be? I've successfully made it so that it shows the right inventory in the chapter unit editor when I load that up, but the changes aren't reflected in game, even when I go back to chapter 10 and load on from there. Anyone know what might be going on? 

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I have Panda Protection installed on my laptop, and whenever I try to run the executable it steps in and "neutralizes the virus". Is there some aspect of this file that would be picked up by anti-virus software? If so, any help would be greatly appreciated! This randomizer looks like great fun!

Edited by PandaCelt

• 2 weeks later...

At the end of Eliwood chapter 28, during the unskippable fight between Nergal and Athos the game locks itself and ceases the fight in place. The game doesn't freeze as the music continues playing and the hp bars continue to flash but Nergal and my randomized Farina refuse to fight. I think it might be the devil axe Farina has might kill her after Nergal attacks but that's really just a guess. I have no idea.

Fire Emblem 7 RANDOMIZED_01.png

So i just got this randomizer last night and I'm encountering a little problem when i attempt to use it. I'm sure it's my fault and i f*cked up somewhere. But i haven't seen anyone else report an error of this nature. It says something like how access to the file is denied when as far as i know nothing should be in the way.  Here;s the code it provided

Made it a bit smaller in hopes of it being less obnoxious

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\Jake\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\IE\QHBGOR1A\Fire_Emblem_Sacred_Stones[1].gba' is denied.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
   at System.IO.File.OpenWrite(String path)
   at WindowsApplication1.Form1.RandomizeButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3131.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
GBA FE Randomizer
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Jake/Desktop/New%20folder/New%20folder/GBA_FE_Randomizer.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 14.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3056.0 built by: NET472REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3110.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.