Universal GBA FE Randomizer v1.0

lushen124

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been greatly enjoying this, so props to you! There are a bunch of glitches with smaller or bigger impacts though (note: I've only noticed those in FE6 yet, dunno if they're a thing for the rest):

- Units can be dropped on tiles they can't pass (including walls), the same applies for warp and rescue staves

- Yodel's divine weapon is randomized into something else, as well as his saint's staff, resulting in a forced bad ending unless you hack his inventory

- Characters that aren't Roy (or Roy replacement), but Lord as a class, can seize

- FREEZING GLITCHES I NOTICED SO FAR: FE6 chapter 10A pirate reinforcements (the fort on the island) freeze the game unless blocked; in FE6 chapter 11A, it tends to happen randomly when the bandits are supposed to spawn, shortly after Klein; using warp and putting someone into the throne room anytime later in FE6 chapter 14x force reboots the game; in FE8 chapter 12Eir, not killing a certain (slightly hard to reach) Spider until turn 5 freezes the game

- The variance of randomized growth rates and stats tend to way exceed the limit the user chooses. (e.g. Zephiel in a randomized run lost 17 HP and gained 4 Spd and 8 Def when I imposed a limit of +/- 3) EDIT: Having looked it up in the OP, I don't think the redistribution principle works well. When I say "+/-4 base variance" and a unit loses 30 HP but gains 10 def and 10 spd, that's just doesn't fit what I wanted, and it isn't the sum of the base stats that defines unit quality, it is the way they're spread, and the way this is altered should really be limited by the option. Imo just individually randomize each stat when it comes to bases, so for example, when the user imposes +/-5 bases, a unit with 35 base HP strictly varies between 30 base HP and 40 base HP. Same argument for growths.

- Sometimes, the ROM stops saving anything to the save file forever and only displays "new game" when hard resetting with the emulator (i.e. the save file ends up being empty; this might be a fault of me experimenting with nightmare though)

- Generals don't get randomized, nor do any promoted units get randomized into generals in FE6.

It'd be nice if you fixed those eventually!

Also, something that isn't a glitch but think it should be taken into consideration, why randomize movement based on classes? It would probably be much more fun to randomize it for each character, because things like "this character of class A has decent stats, but bad mov, whereas this other dude of class A has worse stats but good mov" are just way more interesting than stuff like "class A is stupidly inflexible and all characters with it are more or less unuseful compared to classes B, C and D". I think making mov/con randomization on enemies optional would be a good idea too.

Edited by Gradivus.

It changes the likelihoods for growths on level ups. For example, a character has 60% strength growth and 80% HP growth. The randomizer can randomly turn this into 100% strength and 40% HP, or 130% str and 10% HP or whatever. It doesn't remove the randomness of growths, but I think you should try to play a bunch of FE with random growths before dismissing it.

Edited by Gradivus.

Why can't extra movement be given to characters, though? Characters with boots have extra movement on them too, so I'm certain a way to assign mov boosts could be implemented (maybe something like "reduce base mov of all classes by [variance] and add [value between 1 and variance*2] to the character when they join"). If it's too complicated / impossible to program, I won't argue with passing up on it though. It does feel extremely lame as is, nonetheless.

Edited by Gradivus.

there is no easy way to assign movement boosts to individual characters

boots are handled in the actual save file (it's slightly more complicated than that so i won't go into it); the base game itself only ever keeps track of class movement

That sucks. I guess should I ever care about it, I'll just replicate it via random.org + AR codes or something.

Con should still be randomized based on characters.

Edited by Gradivus.

• 2 weeks later...

do units have their growth rates altered when they have their class changed? my Clarine and Ellen are getting far more Str/Def as a Merc/Troub than they would otherwise

They keep their growths + class growth if you didn't randomize the character growths.

• 2 weeks later...

hey for some reason i cant get a rom for the randomizer

1. If you want a ROM, go find it yourself.

2. If the randomizer is refusing to accept the ROM, read the error message. Unless it's FE7 and some weird error about patching that forces you to the tutorial, in which case grab a save file with ENM completed, plop it into the same directory as the randomized ROM, rename the .sav to whatever the ROM is named, and have fun.

1. If you want a ROM, go find it yourself.

2. If the randomizer is refusing to accept the ROM, read the error message. Unless it's FE7 and some weird error about patching that forces you to the tutorial, in which case grab a save file with ENM completed, plop it into the same directory as the randomized ROM, rename the .sav to whatever the ROM is named, and have fun.

im having trouble now with a thing that kills my units when attacking on FE8 but doesnt do damage

im having trouble now with a thing that kills my units when attacking on FE8 but doesnt do damage

If you want help, you will need to be MUCH more specific.

1. What chapter are you on? If it's before the Prologue, which scene is it on?

2. What exactly is "kills my units"? Does their HP drop to zero? Do their death quotes play out randomly?

3. What is attacking your units? List a unit name, class, stats, and weapon.

4. What randomizer options did you use?

5 Did you use a vanilla FE8 ROM?

Question: Do you need to set randomize unique classes in order to get soldiers to be able to promote into a general? Because I tried to promote my soldier (I nightmared it in) but no matter the promotion item - knight crest, earth seal, I even tried heaven seal and it didn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice randomizer, i got a lot of of fun with it! The only think im missing or maybe i didnt found it is that is there some way i could randomize recruitment with enemy bosses? as example your first enemy boss is cormag and one of your unit is valter. something like that would be funny.

Edited by Exoplayer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This has been posted a few times already, but nobody answered them, so i'll post it anyway and see if i am luckier.

So, i'm in chapter 10B, with classes, weapon, enemy growths randomized and random recruitment. Turn 4's enemy phrase (when Geese's supposed to appear) never ends. It just moves the enemies around and then it stays there, music and graphics working, without letting me do anything.

I'm really liking this run, so i'd really appreciate not having to restart because Geese doesn't want to appear. Any solutions? Preferably that don't require advanced hacking, i can barely figure out how to change character stats.

EDIT: I checked the changelog. Geese was replaced by Wyvern Rider Astore.

EDIT 2: I found the solution! As some others pointed out, it was the pirate reinforcements in the forts, and not geese, who caused the errors. I used Nightmare's army editor to give all the "western bandit" and "pirate" enemy units the "none" value, and Geese showed up just fine.

Now i can continue with this run, which i am really liking. Thank god.

EDIT 3: Well same problem in 11B, same solution. Except this time, instead of an endless enemy phrase when the bandits arrived, i got plunged back into the title screen. That makes sense, i guess. The chapter became way too easy after erasing those reinforcements, but i had no choice.

Edited by Rubenio

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I just downloaded this and am trying it with FE6. Some questions so far,

1. The inventory is randomized, right? It's odd because in the first chapter, Marcus has two Thunders, Allan had two Devil Axes, and Lance has two Javelins (Bors has an Iron Ballista but that's aside the point LOL). Is that supposed to happen? That's a lot of doubles for me to think that it is random.

2. I read earlier that if Yoder changes class, then he won't have the Divine Weapons with him. I decided to check my changelog, and noticed that there are two Yoders (1 changed and 1 still as a bishop). Does this mean that you can unrandomize Yoder? If so, how? I want to play FE6 to completion, if possible.

Thanks!

You need to nightmare hack the holy weapons into his inventory before playing through C21. Use this tool to edit the weapons:

Army Editor, Chapter 21:

0x42 = Sacae route, Yodel with Malte and Holy Maiden

0x44 = Ilia route, Yodel with Murgleis and Holy Maiden

I think the units get random items out of those that they can use (i.e. a unit with D bows wouldn't get a killer bow, etc). I haven't noticed a pattern beyond that, anyway.

Edited by Gradivus.

• 2 weeks later...

so I decided to use this on fe 8 and I have gotten so many healers only up to chapter 5 and I have 4 troubadours (all male) and a cleric also I got arthur as a revenant which was ironic enough but then I got him to go to the village to recruit lute which was even better

A few issues to report after trying this a bunch on Sacred Stones. First is that some bosses (in particular I've noticed Bone and Bazba) never get their class randomized. Second is that even with bases not being randomized, I'm still getting extra SKL added to most characters. Is that intentional?